Start by marking “Realm” as Want to Read:
Realm

Realm

Based on a true story.

When her homeland is conquered by the mighty Alexander the Great, Roxana—the daughter of a mere chieftain—is torn from her simple life and thrown into a world of war and intrigue.

Terrified, the sixteen-year-old girl of renowned beauty is brought before the greatest ruler the world has ever known. Her life is in his hands; her future his to decide.

With
Published May 14th 2019 by Vesuvian Books (first published May 2019)

To ask other readers questions about Realm, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Realm

Start your review of Realm
Erin
Find this and other reviews at: https://historicalfictionreader.blogs...

I wish I could report otherwise, but Alexandrea Weis’ Realm proved a poor fit for me. The subject matter is there, but the themes didn’t materialize the way I needed them to.

Roxana struck me as inconsistent and I had difficulty appreciating her character. She experiences moments of strength, but she backslides so quickly that those moments struck me as inauthentic. She also relies heavily on the women around her, so much so
Christina (Confessions of a Book Addict)
Roxana is living a simple life with her family in Persia. Her father is a chieftain, so that gives her family some status, but it's nothing compared to the Greek conqueror, Alexander the Great, who has invaded her homeland. While Alexander has occupied Persia, he has become friendly with her father and has met Roxana, who is known in the village for her beauty. He has decided he wants to take her for his bride, because not only is she beautiful, she is also of mixed race, so this will be an adva ...more
ʙᴇʟʟᴀ.: ☾**:.☆*.:。.
ARC provided by the publisher via Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review.
MiraJane
Mar 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received a complimentary advance copy of this book to give a voluntary honest review. This review contains only my own thoughts and opinions of this book.

Realm was a maelstrom of every kind of emotion for me and not at all what I had expected. Just one book made me feel everything from immensely thrilled to tear-filled sorrow. To be honest, had I known when I got the book what an emotional coaster-ride it would be I probably wouldn’t have read it. However now afterwards, I do not regret readin
Jacob Rundle
Jan 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
I give this novel a strong 4.5/5.0. A great story. Well-developed characters. And an interesting writing style. The characters truly took you on a journey. The world that Alexandrea created was attention pulling and well thought out. The world-building was well structured and executed.
Ezgi Sezer
Apr 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
I am not a fan of historical romance but after reading this book's synopsis, I knew I had to give it a shot.
This book is a must read for those who enjoy historical romance. It is about the wife of Alexander the Great, Roxana and how she tries to come to terms with expectancies of being a king's wife. With the author's writing skills, you can feel the difficulty of being a woman in those times as if you are living there yourself.
The only negative thing about this book was that I found a couple o
Cheryl
Apr 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is the third book I have read by this author. The first two books are darker. So, this lighter touch is new for me but I really like this side of Ms. Weis as well as her dark side.

I am familiar with the stories of Alexander the Great but not of his wife. Well his less famous wife. Roxana was married to Alexander but than later cast aside as duty called and Alexander married royalty. Yet, Alexander loved Roxana. She was all he thought about when he was not conquering countries. Roxana start
Gareth
Jan 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
In a world where the female lead is at the forefront of people's minds, Realm is an interesting new take. Usually women in these lead roles have to have a very masculine energy and 'kick ass', which is great, but sometimes a female lead can also be not so strong. Realm is a historically accurate representation, with a woman at the centre very much trying to survive a man's world. Weis time and time again gives us real characters, not just who we 'want' to see, but who exist in reality.
Allana June
Dec 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: earc, 2019-releases
Review originally posted on http://readwanderloveandlive.blog/

To be honest, I really thought that this book is a historical romance. I thought that it’s a story of a bride plucked away from home and how she starts this fiery romance with her new husband. Well, it’s not. And I’m so glad it’s not. Don’t get me wrong… I really love historical romances. I find them so very entertaining. But books like Realm, a historical fiction, has awakened my mind.

History is ‘the one that got away’ for me. I real
Jessica
Jun 04, 2019 rated it liked it
What first caught my eye about Realm was definitely the cover art and so, if you're in that same boat, let me tell you now that it's a little misleading. Roxana, while definitely a strong woman, was not in any way a warrior princess. In fact, as I learned through reading this book, Roxana actually spent most of her life with baggage caravans and in palace rooms. Like most women at the time, her life was dictated by those around her. So while this book does indeed feature Roxana as a strong woman ...more
Jessica | Booked J
Jul 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Blog | Twitter | Instagram

Review was previously posted here to Booked J. As always, a copy of this book was provided by the publisher or author in exchange for participating in the blog tour/my honest review. This does not effect my opinion in any way.

When reading historical fiction, there has to be a certain type of atmosphere to the writing. One that fits the tone of the entire story. Fortunately for readers, there's a lot of energy in Realm and it all lives up to the unique and engrossing wo
Andria Potter
May 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a long book with over 60+ chapters. It took me about four and a half days to read, it was long, but worth it. I loved the history of this book, the Greeks and the Persians, and I loved the characters and world-building. The storyline was good, but a little over halfway I was just wanting to be done already. There was so much there, that I think the author would’ve done better if she’d split the book in two. Or perhaps its just my short attention span these days, lol.

My main gripe with t
Carol***BeautyandtheBeastlyBooks
***ARC received in exchange of an honest opinion***

This was an interesting read, specially because I love History so much.
It's different and a side of Alexander, the Great I'd like to think was real. I enjoyed the story, even though at some point it flatlined for me.

We all know what's happening (that's the risk of writing a fictional story about famous characters), but ai still would have liked to see something diferent in the outcome.

It became a bit boring after some point, but up until there I
Heather
Dec 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Such an amazing book! I love all of the history and facts. A must read for everyone!!!!
2TReads
Did not finish. It started out well, but then slowly devolved for me. maybe I will return to it in the ner future.
Susan
Jul 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing!

I was in such Aaahhhh of this book from the very beginning. You know you have read a good book, when you can laugh, cry and get angry when things don't go your way. Way to go Alexandrea Weis! I absolutely loved this book.
Gracie Bustillos
must read

This is my first book by Alexandrea Weis she has outdone herself. This romance novel captured me from the beginning until the very last page. You won’t be able to put this down. Sad ending.
Carla
Mar 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I am a huge history fan and I love reading books set in this time period and this novel does not disappoint.

While the focus on so many novels is your strong, brave, fearless MALE hero – this novel takes a different approach. It follows Roxana’s story who as a young girl at the tender age of sixteen marries Alexander the Great. Now you think with such a husband, she would be forced into the back burner of the story but her tale is unique. She is just as fearless as him and perhaps even stronger?
Wytzia Raspe
"Realm" is the story of Macedonian king Alexander the Great who conquered Persia, Egypt and all the way to India, seen through the eyes of his Persian-born first wife Roxana.

At first the novel gives the impression of a romance novel but that somehow does not work because I certainly did not like Alexander as he is depicted here. He lets his wife travel in the baggage train of his army and only occasionally visits her to have a night of passion and then leaves her alone for months at the time.

As
Patty
May 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Anyone who has studied history has heard of Alexander the Great. He is remembered as one of the great conquerors – whether that is good or bad I suppose depends on how you look at conquerors. They are remembered, that is for sure. But what about the women in their lives? Some of them are remembered but the further we go back in time the less is known and the more is forgotten.

Roxana is a daughter of chief who is under attack by Alexander and his troops. After winning the battle Alexander hosts a
Jessica Higgins
May 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Behind every great leader is the woman he loves, even if she is not his queen.

Roxana is the daughter of a Persian tribal chief who stands at opposition to Alexander the Great. But when he is territory is conquered, Roxana’s father must make a treaty or lose his life. He decides to make peace with Alexander and offers his son to serve in his service. Later that week when they are having a great banquet, Roxana is presented as the daughter of the chief. Alexander is quickly taken by her exquisite
Lynn Reynolds
I like the idea of taking a story from history and putting a female spin on it.

Roxana doesn’t want to be like other girls/women. Since she lived in a time long past, we rely on the author to give us a sense of what it may have been like. We also get a glimpse into what Alexander the Great may have been like after he meets Roxana and her family.

This may be listed as a teen and young adult read but at times Roxana seems beyond her years. If you haven’t had “the talk” with your child, you may want
Jessica Stigliano
Feb 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book was not what I originally had expected when I started reading but I couldn't put it down until I finished. The story pulls you in from the beginning and I found myself drawn into a whole new world of historical page turning. The in depth description of that era paints vivid scenes for all the characters and an interesting story that will have you caught up wanting to know what happens to the main character Roxanna. I definitely think that this is a book anyone could enjoy.
Crystal Zavala
Jun 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: tlcbooktours
Admittedly I have not read much about Alexander the Great and his first wife Roxana, so I cannot speak to historical accuracy in regards to this book.

I loved the flow of Alexandrea's writing style. It was descriptive with a quick pace. Realm is predominately written from the perspective of 16 year old Roxana, her marriage to Alexander, and the rest of her life. Time moves fast, but not uncomfortably so.

I think the reason I enjoyed this book so much versus other books about this era is because wa
Candy Briggs
Jun 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An interesting story of a young sixteen-year-old girl. Her father is a governor and facing Alexander the Great. He becomes enchanted with her and decides he must marry her. Her being Persian posses a problem. He is Greek and his people believe they are barbarians. Alexander, if you remember your history, was a great tactician, but he was lonely and found Roxana to be spirited. He did not want someone who would not tell him the truth, be honest, and hopefully love him.
The book was mesmerizing and
Angel Hatfield
May 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
So, I’m not sure why I decided to read this story, it’s not really the type I read, more like the type I’d watch, but I did. It was definitely the first I’ve read that had anything to do with Alexander the great and this many fictitious real people (if that makes any sense). The only thing I knew about Alexander the gre
Kat
May 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Looking for a well-developed YA Historical story?

Realm is based on a true story surrounding the life of Alexander the Great and his first wife. We get to follow a strong female lead as she fights for herself and the attention of her conquering husband in the mostly, male-dominant society. She knows how to take care of herself while also striving for power and greatness.

This story is fast-paced and features a ton of great world building. You really feel like you are there on the page through al
Tess Burnside
May 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Realm, by Alexandrea Weis is centered around a young girl named Roxana, wife to Alexander the Great. In keeping with the ways of the past, not much was known about her; women were not given much credence in those days. But this brave spitfire lived her life on her own terms and her story is both tragic and triumphant. Ms. Weis has dedicated her life to documenting this remarkable young woman's journey through uncertain times.The story comes to life and I was drawn in immediately, sending me on a ...more
Elena
Nov 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Review by Alessandro III di Macedonia

Hello everyone, thank you for being on Alessandro III di Macedonia- your resource on Alexander the Great! Today I’m proposing you the review of a historical novel published for now only in English by Vesuvian Books and which I hope will soon be published also in Italy! I’m talking about:

Realm by Alexandrea Weis

First of all I’d like to thank the author, Alexandrea, for sending me the copy so that I could read it and review it here! Thank you very much!

I read t
Michele
Apr 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
I found Realm to be a captivating novel. It was based on the life of Roxana who was the Persian-born, first wife of Alexander the Great. As I read the book, I became more fascinated by her and did further research into her history. The book is not a pure biography as we obviously do not know exactly what happened during the time period. I would say it is a loosely based historical fiction. That said, I was quite intrigued by it. The book starts when she meets him at age sixteen. She is a strong- ...more

• The Lieutenant's Nurse
  • The Other Windsor Girl: A Novel of Princess Margaret, Royal Rebel
  • The Year I Left
  • Speak No Evil
  • A Witch in Time
  • The Queen's Secret: A Novel of England's World War II Queen
  • The Song of the Jade Lily
  • The Number of Love (The Codebreakers, #1)
  • The Grace Kelly Dress
  • Midlife Fairy Hunter (Forty Proof, #2)
  • A Family of Strangers
  • 10 Blind Dates
  • Her Last Flight
  • The Glamourist (The Vine Witch, #2)
  • One Little Secret
  • Embracing Destiny (The Fae Chronicles #6)
  • Helix
Alexandrea Weis is an advanced practice registered nurse who was born and raised in New Orleans. Having been brought up in the motion picture industry, she learned to tell stories from a different perspective and began writing at the age of eight. Infusing the rich tapestry of her hometown into her award-winning novels, she believes that creating vivid characters makes a story moving and memorable ...more