Start by marking “Snakeskins” as Want to Read:
Snakeskins

Snakeskins

An SF thriller examining the repercussions of rejuvenation and cloning on individuals' sense of identity and on wider society.

Caitlin Hext's first shedding ceremony is imminent, but she's far from prepared to produce a Snakeskin clone. When her Skin fails to turn to dust as expected, she must decide whether she wishes the newcomer alive or dead.

Worse still, it transpire
Published May 7th 2019 by Titan Books

To ask other readers questions about Snakeskins, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Snakeskins

Dannii Elle
When snakes shed their skin, they leave behind an outline of what they once were. In this very-near future of our world, a portion of our race have developed this ability, too.

These 'Charmers' shed their former body every seven years and, with it, banish the imperfections and disease that have ravaged our species. When the skin is sloughed from their bodies and turned to dust what remains is unmarred to allow them the competitive edge of superior physique, quick recovery, and longevity in this d
Priya Sharma
May 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Tim Major has a talent for combining big ideas to create something exciting. With Snakeskins he gives us a SF thriller brimming with questions about identity. Caitlin Hext is a Charmer, one of a group of people able to shed their skin every seven years, giving them abnormal longevity. At her first shedding, the "Skin" she produces doesn't turn to dust as expected, resulting to a journey into the heart of a political conspiracy that threatens to divide Britain.

(ARC)
Jessica
May 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Full review coming soon!Caitlin Hext is a Charmer. She has the ability to produce a clone of herself every seven years. These clones are called Snakeskins. They are supposed to turn to dust seconds after the Charmer “sheds” them. Caitlin’s does not. Her Snakeskin is taken away by authorities to live out the minutes/days/hours until it turns to ash in a care home.

There are many secrets to the Charmer community and Caitlin Hext is about to be exposed to more than she has ever known about her histo
Paperbacks
Apr 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Firstly, I would like to thank Titan Books for sending me an advanced copy of this amazing book, I was totally sold on the blurb and the comparisons to the T.V show Humans - it was everything I hoped it would be.

The Fall in 1808 was a seemingly spectacular event, an event which led to the rewriting of modern history, as whilst Snakeskins is a contemporary setting it is very far from the UK that we know today. It has a feeling of being trapped in time, an 80's vibe at times but with a dystopian f
Jen
Review to follow in The Library Journal.
Doreen
May 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: titan
5/4/19 Full review tk.

5/8/19 One of my favorite things about this book is Caitlin Hext, one of our main characters, whose emotional journey as an insufferable adolescent thrust into dealing with the seemingly impossible causes her to perpetrate reckless acts in order to do good and, eventually, to realize how she used to be and how she’s growing as a person. It’s weird: I read a lot of YA, yet this adult SF novel is by far one of the most convincing portrayals of burgeoning maturity I’ve ever re
Kirsty ~ Paper Hearts Ink
Snakeskins is told from multiple POV’s and is a quick, immersive read. There’s Russell, a man trying to make his way up the political ladder. Then there’s Gerry, a journalist who’s not afraid to ask the difficult questions even if no one likes the answers.

But Caitlin’s story was perhaps the most compelling for me. I found her journey to be an authentic look at what it means to be a teenager navigating a world that expects you to fall in line and do as you’re told. Thought provoking and full of
S.E. Anderson
May 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
This sci-fi novel has to have one of the most brilliant premises I ever read, and I couldn’t put it down. I got to read it while I was working the observatory, so I binged it from 2 am to 5 am in a single go. SO ADDICTING.

The book reads as a crime novel, political thriller, and YA coming of age all in one. Three stories intertwine in this alternate U.K., where a meteor changed the course of modern history. Isolated from the rest of the world, the U.K. is in its own microcosm, some of its own pe
The Artisan Geek
Apr 23, 2019 is currently reading it
23/4/19
The people over at Titan Books were so kind to send over a copy of this book. Sci-fi is one of my favourite genres so a sincere thank you to them!!

You can find me on
Youtube | Instagram | Twitter | Tumblr | Website
Sahaara
May 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
A fast paced and gripping SF thriller. The tensions and distrust between the Charmers and the rest of the population gets you sucked in and you really find yourself wanting to know what happens next. I couldn't put it down.
Runalong
May 17, 2019 rated it liked it
Really liked that this novel went for a new idea but took a little while to set the scene. After that though really got sucked in to a strange alternate world SF thriller

No One
Amy Walker
May 06, 2019
Kirsty Stanley
May 18, 2019 rated it really liked it

This book has such an intriguing premise. A proportion of the population have been “given” special abilities as Charmers. Every seven years they shed like snakes and rejuvenate their original bodies meaning they live longer than ordinary humans. Usually the skin lasts only a short time before disintegrating into ash. But Caitlin’s skin stays, is clearly displaying human emotion and is taken away by the government...

The very government who have cut the U.K. off from Europe, call themselv
Vira
Hannah (Ink and Myths)
Apr 18, 2019
Sara Jovanovic
Apr 21, 2019
Tim Major’s SF thriller SNAKESKINS is published by Titan Books and his first short story collection, AND THE HOUSE LIGHTS DIM, will follow in July 2019. His previous books include MACHINERIES OF MERCY, YOU DON'T BELONG HERE and a non-fiction book about the silent crime film, LES VAMPIRES.

Tim's short stories have appeared in numerous publications including Interzone, Best of British Science Fiction