Start by marking “Ash Kickers (Smoke Eaters, #2)” as Want to Read:
Ash Kickers (Smoke Eaters, #2)

Ash Kickers

(Smoke Eaters #2)

It's dragons vs firefighters vs the Phoenix in the scorching fantasy sequel to  Smoke Eaters .

With ex-firefighter Cole Brannigan in command of the Smoke Eaters, the dragon menace is under control. Thanks to non-lethal Canadian tech, the beasts are just tranquilized and locked up. But for Tamerica Williams, a job filled with action and danger has become routine. She’s so
Published June 4th 2019 by Angry Robot

To ask other readers questions about Ash Kickers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ash Kickers

Start your review of Ash Kickers (Smoke Eaters, #2)
Geek Furioso
*Recibí este ARC de manos del autor a cambio de una reseña honesta*

Nota actual: 3,5/5 estrellas

Todo me dice que debería haber disfrutado mucho más este libro de lo que lo he hecho. Aunque disfruté de Smoke Eaters, en más de una ocasión me tuvo alzando una ceja, pero decidí dejarlo pasar todo porque estaba claro a donde quería ir Grigsby con esto: una novela divertida, chabacana. Tampoco puedes esperar mucho más de una novela que se vende como "bomberos contra dragones" que se desarrolla en un fu
Elizabeth Tabler
Thank you to Angry Robot and Netgalley for providing me with a copy of this book in exchange for my review.
If you would like to see more of my reviews please visit me on beforewegoblog.com

Sometimes you need to kick a little ash.

It's all fun and games till someone gets their ash kicked.

I am here to chew bubble gum and kick a little ash

To punny? Nah, there is always time for punny ash kicking.

First off, I LOVE THIS BOOK.

I love this story for a myriad of reasons. These are not limited to: the p
FanFiAddict
Jul 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rating: ★★★★☆+

Synopsis

Dragons vs Firefighters vs the Phoenix. The scorching fantasy sequel to Smoke Eaters.

With ex-firefighter Cole Brannigan in command of the Smoke Eaters, the dragon menace is under control. Thanks to non-lethal Canadian tech, the beasts are tranquilized and locked up, rather than killed. But for Tamerica Williams, this job filled with action and danger, has become tediously routine.

When a new threat emerges, a legendary bird of fire – the Phoenix – it’s the perfect task for W
Moony MeowPoff
Aug 29, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
ARC from NetGalley
DNF.
Could'nt connect to any of the characters.
Valerie - Cats Luv Coffee
I struggle with the fictional portrayal of firefighting. You see, I'm married to a firefighter. Over the years, I've become one of those people who pick apart shows when firefighters are represented. I couldn't even get past the first five minutes of Chicago Fire without yelling at the tv multiple times. I hate the dramatizing and romancing of the fire life. It couldn't be further from the truth. I'm the same way when it comes to written fiction so when I saw Ash Kickers I almost passed it by, e ...more
Judy Lesley
Jun 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's 2123 and the Smoke Eater's Division has made so much progress with fighting the dragons that appear out of nowhere to kill people and start fires that they have been given a new directive: don't kill them, capture the dragons so their blood can be used for medicine. There has also been a method devised to contain the wraiths (ghosts of dragon victims) so they can't guard nests of dragon eggs. Lots of advancement in how to deal with dragons since the end of book one, Smoke Eaters. All of thi ...more
Andrea
Jul 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Like others have said, it's a fun and easy read. I think Sean's creativity and imagination beats many others established authors! He has the best dragons.
Online Eccentric Librarian

More reviews (and no fluff) on the blog http://surrealtalvi.wordpress.com/

As good as the first novel and brimming with exuberance and chutzpah, Ash Kickers is a worthy sequel. The story, which began with Brannigan, now passes to Tamerica Williams, a brash young woman moving up through the Smoke Eaters ranks. Yes, it still feels like a marty stu - even with a female protagonist who, if I am honest, seems more like an amalgamation than a person. But in all, this is great fun with a lot of hea
Rachel Noel
Apr 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
*Free copy for an honest review.

I was a beta reader for this book so I was very curious to see what changes, if any had been made. I can't tell you what changed from that read to this one, but I can say, both readings put me through the emotional wringer, and I mean that in the best possible way. I cannot tell you how much I enjoyed this book, especially after the second reading.

Though this is a sequel, I don't think you have to have read the first one to understand what's going on. It would cer
Brian's Book Blog
Another Home Run

4.5 out of 5 stars

I absolutely loved Grigsby’s first novel in this series, Smoke Eaters. So, when I found out that Ash Kickers was being written and released I was excited.

Thankfully, my excitement wasn’t all for nothing. Grigsby wrote another stellar novel and this time took down the action (a little) but still wrote an absolutely compelling novel that touches on more than just fighting dragons.

Also, let’s take a moment to recognize two things here: the cover and the title of th
Derek
Feb 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was a beta reader for this book last year and thoroughly enjoyed it! A great follow up to SMOKE EATERS that continues the story and expands on the mythology and lore. Lots of fun!

UPDATE: After reading the final version of the book I stand by my 5 star rating. Grigsby's growth as a writer and storyteller is very evident here and the story is a fun romp with an emotional gutpunch ending. Can't wait to see where he goes from here!
Anna Stephens
3.5 stars.
As bonkers as the first one, this is a fast-paced sequel with a new threat mingled in with the old. I enjoyed the politics in this one as an added bonus. There were a few things I would have liked some more explanation of, particularly how PC First got hold of dragon blood and wraith containment fields, but it was still a fun ride - with an unexpected and emotional ending.
Good stuff!
Joe
Apr 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A sequel that stands toe to toe with its predecessor. Turning Williams into the lead was a stroke of genius, keeping it fresh and upping the stakes as she leads a team against the new threat of the phoenix. Brannigan is still around as the chief and always adds something extra to the scenes he's in. If you loved Smoke Eater then check out this kick ash follow up.
Daniel
Oct 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi-fantasy
This review originally published in Looking For a Good Book. Rated 4.0 of 5

Author Sean Grigsby has done done something here that I don't think I've seen very often in the world of sequels ... using a different character's point of view (a character that was prominent in the first book - while the main protagonist from the first book is still prominent here) and dialing up the action, and the threat level.

Tamerica Williams is a smoke eater. Smoke eaters are sort of like firefighters with the bonu
Shawn
Aug 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Another winner from Sean Grigsby.
While I think the first book was a lot better, I still very much enjoyed this sequel. I was definitely not expecting the character POV shift from the first book, but it worked out really well and gave a fresh feel to the world from a character totally different from Brannigan.
There were a couple world-building passages that added to my excitement to see the Smoke Eaters world expanded on in later books (fingers crossed there's more books).
And I really enjoyed the
Laurie Bell
Feb 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
LOVED EVERY MINUTE

What a fabulous book two. Rather than continue to follow Brannigan we now follow Tamerica, a front line kick-ass Smoke Eater. Brannigan is still around and still his surly self but now he's the boss and Tamerica just keeps getting into trouble. The scalies are almost an manageable problem now only its drawn something new to town. There's a bigger fish... in this case... phoenix. And talk about difficult to fight, how to you kill something that keeps coming back to life?

Full of
Andover Library
May 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The second book in the series following on from Gigsby’s debut Smoke Eaters see’s us return to our Dragon killing firefighters. Only this time they aren’t killing, they’re capturing instead.

In a brilliant narrative decision this time we are following Tamerica rather than Brannigan. This gives us a fresh perspective on the role and world the Smoke Eaters inhabit.

Frustrated with the change in remit the Smoke Eaters are working under Tamerica is desperate for some action. She certainly gets it. A n
Tom Smith
Feb 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had the pleasure of beta reading this for Sean.
It is a fast-paced adventure following hot on the heels of Smoke Eaters. If you haven't already read Smoke Eaters, stop reading this right now and go pick it up.
In book 2 of the series, Grigsby switches from Cole Brannigan's perspective to his ex-partner Tamerica William's POV.
Tamerica is a veteran smoke eater who gives zero fucks and takes no shit when doing her job and is an entertaining protagonist. As with book 1, the story flows nicely and i
Brian Palmer
Aug 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A high-octane thrill ride that's exactly what you think it is when you see a tagline of "Firefighters vs. Dragons vs. Phoenix." Definitely has some on-point social commentary given our current social and political climate, so there's plenty of subtext here as well.

The only real issue I had was this story could've used another copyedit because there were a number of mistakes/missing words/etc. that jumped out to me (but I'm a copyeditor and my eyes unfortunately catch those things even when I'm r
Caitlin
I was excited to see the sequel was from Tamerica's POV. But I didn't like or connect with her, finding her for the most part full of complaints and bad decisions. The world-building was still cool--I like the way these dragons works--but that ending annoyed me. Is there going to be a book 3?
Anna Marie
Can the Smoke Eaters keep the dragons from killing everyone? Along with politics and hate groups, their fight is taken to the next level. A exciting and adrenaline filled read guaranteed to keep you on the edge of your seat. Will be looking forward to the next book to see where things go.
ToLindaLong
Jul 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love the collection of characters in this book. I loved the first book and glad I finally got a chance to read the 2nd!
!
Josh Jacobs
Jan 25, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow what a great spin to the series. The ending was a shocker. Hoping for a third book to continue the story. Really curious what lays ahead for the smoke eaters.
Breane Ross
Mar 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Received an arc from netgalley. What a GREAT read! This series rocks! Highly recommend it!
Joe Garcia
Aug 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book and the characters. I’ve become attached and am really hoping for a third! The author is amazing and I love his writing style! It really drew me in as a fellow firefighter.
Cmoore
Jul 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After finding and finishing Smoke Eaters, I could hardly wait to get my hands on this book... And it doesn't disappoint! I love this book so much, it takes us on a whole new scorching adventure! Cole Brannigan, now the Commander, finds himself tied-down with paperwork, and he has to let his Smoke Eaters go out and fight the scalies! So now, meet Tamerica Williams, a woman trying to find her own place in life. A woman who's bored with the new capture and release method of fighting dragons and wan ...more
amyextradot
Sep 29, 2019
Mark
Jan 11, 2020
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Unkindest Tide (October Daye, #13)
  • The Princess Beard (The Tales of Pell, #3)
  • Tamer: King of Dinosaurs 6 (Tamer: King of Dinosaurs #6)
  • Ballistic Kiss (Sandman Slim, #11)
  • Interference (Semiosis Duology, #2)
  • Tamer: King of Dinosaurs 5
  • The Girl Who Could Move Sh*t with Her Mind (The Frost Files, #1)
  • The Imaginary Corpse
  • The True Bastards (The Lot Lands, #2)
  • The Phlebotomist
  • Red Noise
  • Sixteenth Watch
  • The Case of the Spellbound Child (Elemental Masters, #14)
  • Chilling Effect (Chilling Effect, #1)
  • Pariah (Donovan Trilogy #3)
  • Hark! the Herald Angels Scream: An Anthology
  • Eye Spy (Valdemar: Family Spies, #2)
  • Zoey Punches the Future in the Dick (Zoey Ashe, #2)
Sean Grigsby is a professional firefighter in central Arkansas, where he writes about lasers, aliens, and guitar battles with the Devil...when he’s not fighting dragons.

Find him at www.seangrigsby.com