Start by marking “Ghost of the Bamboo Road (Shinobi Mystery #7)” as Want to Read:
Ghost of the Bamboo Road (Shinobi Mystery #7)

Ghost of the Bamboo Road

(Shinobi Mystery #7)

When a vengeful spirit terrorizes a mountain village in medieval Japan, a ninja and a Jesuit priest must reveal the truth and save the villagers from the phantom's wrath.

January 1566: En route to Edo, Master ninja Hiro Hattori and Portuguese Jesuit Father Mateo spend the night in a rural mountain village whose inhabitants live in terror of a legendary vengeful ghost. When
Published July 16th 2019 by Seventh Street Books

To ask other readers questions about Ghost of the Bamboo Road, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ghost of the Bamboo Road

Start your review of Ghost of the Bamboo Road (Shinobi Mystery #7)
Kerry Schafer
Nov 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love Hiro Hattori, and that is all. I love his understated sense of humor, his sharp mind, his Shinobi skillz, his cat, and the way his softer side keeps coming out despite his harsher intentions. And of course I also love Father Matteo and the buddy relationships that has grown up between these two very different men. In Ghost of the Bamboo Road, I particularly loved seeing Hiro come right up against a creepy village ghost. The mystery is engrossing and I didn't figure out whodunnit until the ...more
Rusty Dalferes
Dec 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
I have really enjoyed this series. This seventh entry, while not the most action-packed episode, was still a satisfying read, and I recommend it to fans of mysteries and historical fiction.

The saga of Father Mateo and his companion and protector, Hiro, continues as the pair (along with their housekeeper, Ana, and cat, Gato) find themselves in a small village that used to be a waypoint along the travel road to Edo before a landslide blocked the road and prevented travelers from reaching the
Aleen ~Lampshade Reader
Originally posted on lampshadereader.com

*Received a copy from the publisher for review.*

Ghost of the Bamboo Road by Susan Spann picks up after the events of the previous novel and finds Hiro and Father Mateo along with Ana their house servant, and Gato their cat, continuing their journey to Edo. Their mission this time is to find spies of Hattori Hanzo and give them messages of warning. However, as always, their plans don't always work out and they find themselves in the midst of a mystery and
Jessica Higgins
Jan 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I forgot how much I’ve missed these characters until I picked up this book!

As Hiro and Father Mateo make their journey to Edo to warn Iga assassins that their cover may have been comprised, they must stop in a rural mountain village along the way. Another Iga assassin has been stationed here to watch the travel road. They stop at the local ryokan to stay the night and discover that they owners are completing a mourning period. Hiro immediately senses that something is off about this village and
Harvee
Jan 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Atmospheric in its detailed description of place and setting, this seventh novel in the Hiro Hattori Shinobi Mystery is a delightful read that puts you squarely into a time and place that feels both exotic and exciting to this Western reader.

Though I've been to Japan, I've seen only its cities, and the book makes me curious about the mountains, hills, and forests that are such a perfect setting for a ghost story and mystery in medieval times.

I have become fond of both Hiro and Father Mateo
Virginia
Nov 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A Priest and An Assassin

Ghost of the Bamboo Road, by Susan Spann, is set in 16th century Japan. Father Mateo, from Portugal, and his shinobi protector, Hiro Hattori, may seem like an odd couple, but they often find themselves involved in solving a murder to save the unjustly accused. This is a fascinating series with an in depth look at the culture of shinobis and customs of 16th century Japan. Begin at the beginning with Claws of a Cat and keep reading.
CR
Dec 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Although I have only read books one through three I still loved this one!! I will have to go back and read books four through six but I really enjoyed this one!! This series has become one of my all time favorites and I just couldn't put them down. Ghosts and more await the reader of this story and man o man I can not wait for more!!!
Patricia Gulley
Dec 11, 2019 rated it liked it
Though interesting for Japanese myths and folklore, it wasn't much of a ghost story. Over long descriptions of landscape and mist when something spooky or scary should have been happening. Not my favorite of the series, but it did move the overall story along.
Thencasti
Jan 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
You get a ninja, a Jesuit priest, a cat, a foggy mysterious Japanese village with quirky characters, a ghost and mysterious murders to solve. What else could you possibly want? It is fun, historically entertaining and just a good book.
loretta
Nov 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
It was good to be with Hiro, Father Mateo, Ana and Gato once again. I love the growing relationship between the Shinobi and his priest. There is humor and mystery as well as the continuing cultural education that is deftly woven throughout the novel.
Mandy
Jan 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
I really enjoy this series and this was another strong showing. Initially, I had trouble keeping the characters straight (likely my own fault) and I predicted one of the major story elements early on but I still enjoyed this outing of Father Mateo and Hiro just as much as the others.
Kristen West
Dec 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I am a big fan of Susan Spann and the Shinobi Mystery series. The characters are delightful. The setting is educational. And the mysteries are always suspenseful and satisfactorily solved.
Pat Brown
Jan 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
Not much happened in this episode. Characterization is the key here, and I liked the ongoing relationship between Father Mateo and Hiro.
Blaze
Nov 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ghost of the Bamboo Road is a wonderful addition to the Shinobi Mystery Series by Susan Spann.

Vibrant in the description of the settings, the author immerses the reader in not only locale but climate as well. Squelching mud, numbing cold, and whispering trees all add up to a sensory banquet for the reader.

As always there is a cast of amazingly complex characters, whose motivations and actions are well orchestrated by the author to render the situation both intriguing and believable.

Fair
Dec 28, 2019
edward c coakley
Dec 25, 2019
Sidney Lock
rated it did not like it
Dec 11, 2019
estela vazquez
Nov 29, 2019
Norman Baker
Nov 23, 2019

• Rough Time in Nuala (The Inspector de Silva Mysteries #7)
  • Island of Exiles (Sugawara Akitada, #4)
  • The Kindness of Dragons (Sugawara Akitada, #18)
  • MoonShadow Murder (Manny Rivera, #4)
  • Boy Made of Dawn (Navajo Nation Mystery #2)
  • Coyote's Regret (Manny Rivera Mystery Series Book 8)
  • Trails of Deception (Manny Rivera, #3)
  • February's Files (Manny Rivera, #2)
  • Artifacts of Death (Manny Rivera, #1)
  • The Starless Sea
  • Death Saint (Manny Rivera Mystery Series #6)
  • Blue Moon (Jack Reacher, #24)
  • The Dragon Scroll (Sugawara Akitada, #1)
  • Raven's Sword (Path of the Samurai Book 2)
  • Ikiryo: Vengeance and Justice (Sugawara Akitada, #17)
  • Black Arrow (Sugawara Akitada, #3)
  • Death on an Autumn River (Sugawara Akitada #9)
  • Nine Elms (Kate Marshall, #1)
Author of the Hiro Hattori Novels (Shinobi Mysteries), featuring ninja detective Hiro Hattori and his Portuguese Jesuit sidekick, Father Mateo.

CLAWS OF THE CAT (Minotaur Books, 2013)
Library Journal Mystery Debut of the Month
Silver Falchion Finalist: Best First Novel

BLADE OF THE SAMURAI (Minotaur Books, 2014)

FLASK OF THE DRUNKEN MASTER (Minotaur Books, July 2015)

THE NINJA'S DAUGHTER (Seventh Street

Shinobi Mystery (7 books)
  • Claws of the Cat (Shinobi Mystery, #1)
  • Blade of the Samurai (Shinobi Mystery, #2)
  • Flask of the Drunken Master (Shinobi Mystery, #3)
  • The Ninja's Daughter (Shinobi Mystery, #4)
  • Betrayal at Iga (Shinobi Mystery #5)
  • Trial on Mount Koya (Shinobi Mystery #6)