Start by marking “Death in the Lakes” as Want to Read:
Death in the Lakes

Death in the Lakes

(Detective Beth Young #1)

A tenacious young detective with scars both physical and emotional, Beth Young will stop at nothing in her fight for justice for the innocent. Death in the Lakes is the first book in the series. Set in the Lake District, it is perfect for fans of Joy Ellis, LJ Ross, and Peter James.

Detective Beth Young has just joined the Cumbrian major crimes team when a body is found po
Published November 30th 2018 by Bookouture

To ask other readers questions about Death in the Lakes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Death in the Lakes

Sumit RK
Dec 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Dark & Twisted Thriller

The Silent Dead/Death in the Lakes is the first book in Detective Beth Young series and a solid police procedural. As a young detective, Detective Beth Young is transferred to the major crimes team and her very first case involves a brutal killing & a body posed in a ritualistic manner – arms spread and graceful wings attached. As more bodies are discovered in derelict homes across the Lake District, Beth knows there is a deranged serial killer on loose. Will Be
Berit☀️✨
Dec 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
this was one twisted, dark and disturbing start to a new police procedural series!

This is the first book in a new series, featuring young newbie detective Beth Young.... The mystery was twisted, sick, and sadistic... what compels a man to stage a body with a burnt mouth and wings attached to their back? Yes, actual wings! Makes you wonder what goes on in the mind of this brilliant author, Graham Smith....

The story is told primarily from the point of view of Beth... however, we also get some cre
Amy
Dec 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Over the past few years I’ve become a fan of Smith’s, there is something about his writing style and overall originality that appeals to me, so when I heard he was releasing a new book that would also be the beginning of a new series, I just knew I had to read it!
I spoke of the authors originality earlier, let me expand on that now. Beth is a very new police officer and I found this so interesting, I don’t think I’ve read another police procedural where the protagonist is so early in their caree
Shelleen Toland
For some reason I just could not get into this book. It felt slow and drawn out and I could not connect with any of the characters. I thought maybe it was because I was tired on the first day I started it so I put it down and picked it back up the next day and still just could not get into it.
A man is kidnapping people to be his angels and he is the dragon master. He led a bad childhood with a monster of a mother which you do know from the beginning so it is not a spoiler. Even though I love pol
Lou
Nov 30, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Silent Dead, the first novel in a new police procedural series featuring DC Beth Young and set in Cumbria, is highly original, deeply interesting and immersive right from the first couple of pages. The unique storyline really drew me in and was what attracted me to the book initially. I enjoyed the writing and the pace, however, I had correctly guessed the killer very early on which led to me getting a little bored over the rest of the novel as there were no more surprises and tension was at ...more
The Book Review Café
Oct 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime
The Silent Dead is the first book in a new crime police procedure series, written by Graham Smith, and what a fantastic start to the series it turned out to be. From the opening chapter where a body is found posed in a ritualistic manner in a crumbling castle in the hills of the Lake District the author draws you in with an atmospheric setting and a crime scene that is gristly to say the least. This book felt much darker and far more sinister than some crime thrillers I’ve read recently and pers ...more
Oct 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
The Darling Dead is the first book in the Detective Beth Young series. The author isn't new to writing books in a crime series already having two other great ones under his belt. This is his first one though with a leading female protagonist and as with all of the authors books, it has been done with care and great skill.

Beth is the rookie of the crime team but apart from a few teething problems at the start, she certainly earns her place to be part of it. She has her own demons to battle but is
Robyn
Nov 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
DC Beth Young has only been with the Force Major Investigation Team for a week before she got her first murder case. This is not just some ordinary run of the mill killing. The body of a man was found in a derelict building with a burned mouth and wings on his back. Beth believes this killing is the beginning of something much much bigger and much more sinister than anyone realizes. A killer is on the loose, one that Beth believes is just getting started. When the body count starts to rise and t ...more
Eva
Dec 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some of you may be familiar with Graham Smith’s other brilliant series featuring Jake Boulder. If you’re not, please go forth and fix the error of your ways or I may just have to stop talking to you 😉. Now though, Graham Smith has decided to walk a different path with a new crime police procedural.

The Silent Dead introduces us to Beth Young, who has just recently started working at the Force Major Investigation Team (FMIT). Beth is indeed young, determined and ambitious. Spurred on by the scars
Denise
Who can tame the Dragon Master?

"Whatever demons were haunting this killer needed to be contained, preferably by a lengthy confinement at Her Magesty's pleasure."

The first victim was found in a cellar. DC Beth Young, newly assigned to the Force Major Investigation Team in Cumbria, is horrified by what she sees -- wings glued to the dead man's back and a scorched mouth. Under the direction of DI Zoe Dowd along with DS Thompson and DC Unthank, this team begins an intense investigation even as the b
Noelle
Oct 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Chilling, atmospheric and addictive reading! This new series introducing DC Beth Young is fantastic! I can't wait to see what the author does next with Beth and the team! Set in the Lake District, the sense of place has the reader drawn in - I may not look at Cumbria in the same way again! 😱😜
I was lucky enough to beta read this novel and can say that readers are in for a real treat with this series!
The Cats Mother
Originally titled The Darling Dead, this is the first in a new series about a new Detective Constable called Beth Young, set in England’s Lake District, by an author who is new to me. With so many police procedural series out there, you need a point of difference, and this has two: instead of a seasoned middle aged detective, we have a young woman at the start of her career, and instead of the omnipresent emotional scars, Beth’s are physical, her damaged face the result of an injury that left he ...more
Gram
Oct 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A disturbing police procedural/thriller set in England's picturesque Lake District, detailing the police investigation into a series of horrific murders.

The story opens with the main character, Detective Constable Beth Young, who is in her early 20's, joining Cumbria's major crimes team. Her first job comes when a body is found posed in a ritualistic manner. This gruesome discovery is soon followed by a string of other murders with more bodies discovered in derelict stately homes throughout the
Caitlyn Lynch
Dec 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
First in a new series featuring DC Beth Young, a female detective joining Cumbria’s FMIT (Force Major Incident Team) The Silent Dead follows Beth and her team in their race against time to catch a brutal and disturbed killer before he strikes again.

Beth is an interesting character; a model in her teens, her passion for justice drove her to join the police, but she was still in her training period when an off-duty incident saw her left with deep facial scars, ‘ruining’ her beauty. For Beth, beaut
Zoé-lee O'farrell
Dec 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tf

So I am sharing my day with some fantastic bloggers so make sure you check out their reviews too! I also have a bit of confession, I had plans to have this book finished over the weekend, but it was my daughters brithday and then she got poorly and I was shattered and fell asleep with the kindle in my hand by 7pm! All my plans for a relaxing evening went out the window! I am near the end so this will be a mini review for now, my apologies to the Graham and Noelle.

So I have been “shouted” shall
Kat
Nov 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ohh I really enjoyed this book so much, the plot was exceptionally good, very gruesome and totally addictive...I just could not guess at all as to the perpetrator was which for someone like me who reads a lot of thrillers makes a book really stand out. The characters were well rounded and interesting and I particularly liked O’Dowd and of course Beth and I am thrilled that this is the start of a new series, The writing was excellent and so Mr Smith please hurry up with the next book as I can’t w ...more
Kat
Oct 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Els
Dec 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
The first book in a new series is always a bit of a challenge. You have to get to know all the recurring characters and you have to concentrate on the story.

The main character here is DC Beth Young. What stood out was that she was so young and new to the team but she was also the most mature and clever of the group. It felt a bit strange to me. The way she acted was superb and would have suited the title of DI better.

But nevertheless, I really enjoyed the book. I love psychological thrillers, bu
Elaine Tomasso
I would like to thank Netgalley and Bookouture for an advance copy of The Darling Dead, the first novel to feature DC Beth Young of the Cumbrian Police.

When a body is discovered, burned and adorned with bird’s wings, the Cumbrian FMIT (Force Major Incident Team) know they have a problem which only gets worse as more bodies are found. For new start and lateral thinker, Beth Young, it is a steep learning curve.

The Darling Dead has an interesting premise but the execution didn’t hold my attention a
Bonnye Reed
GNa The Silent Dead, working title The Darling Dead, is an excellent British police procedural novel. Set in the Lake District and small English towns bordering Scotland, our intrepid DC Beth Young has just transferred from CID to the elite FMIT or Force Major Investigation Team. Beth has been an interesting part of Graham Smith's prior characters and in this one he refines her personality and lets her grow.

Beth's immediate supervisor in FMIT is DI Zoe O'Dowd and together they make a good team.
Amanda
Dec 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Not so very long ago, I read Graham’s series featuring DI Harry Evans and I really, really enjoyed it. When I heard that he was not only due to release a new book but that it would be the first book in a new series, I just knew that I had to read it as soon as I could. Before I even started reading, I just knew that I would thoroughly enjoy ‘The Silent Dead’. I was not to be disappointed either because I totally flipping well loved ‘The Silent Dead’ but more about that in a bit.
In Detective Cons
Meggy
Dec 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Graham Smith is a force to be reckoned with. When I learned he was working on a new series, I was quite excited. I had discovered his writing through the Jake Boulder books and greatly enjoyed them. A new project meant getting to know Graham Smith better.

DC Beth Young is new to the major crime team. Scarred unlike any other police officer, she has this little thing that makes her different. Her mind is wired in a way that explores crimes like puzzles and she sees things even seasoned detectives

LJ (On The Shelf Reviews)
CONTAINS VIOLENT AND GRAPHIC SCENES.

DC Beth Young has just been transferred to the prestigious FMIT unit, clever and ambitious she especially wants to impress her boss DI Zoe O’Dowd and prove that’s she meant to be there.

A body turns up at a manor house with a pair of wings attached killed in a way that even the experienced officers have never seen before.

More bodies turn up and it’s a race against time to unravel the mystery before the brutal killer claims another victim.

So this is actually my
Claire
Don’t you just love it when a favourite author creates a brand sparkly new series for your reading pleasure? Since I’ve discovered Graham Smith’s writing with the brilliant Harry Evans, he’s gone on to create the fantastic Jake Boulder and now the tenacious Beth Young!!

The Silent Dead kicks off with a horrifying discovery on what should be Emily Welton’s happiest day of her life, her wedding day! And what follows leads into a dark and twisted crime thriller from Mr Smith.

I feared for all the cha
Maggie
Dec 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
DC Beth Young has just joined the major crimes squad when a body is found but posed in a ritualistic fashion. Beth has been selected to join this team for her ability to think 'outside the box' and see connections that may not be obvious. However this crime is going to be one that is really going to test her.

As more bodies are found posed in the same sort of fashion but the killer seems to be escalating.

Parts of the story are told from the perspective of someone whose appreciation of young wome
Julie Lacey
Nov 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first of Graham Smith’s books that I’ve read, and I really enjoyed it.
Beth is new to the team and finds it hard to fit in at first. Her boss is firm but fair and Beth soon learns not to take things too seriously.
Her first job is the discovery of a body in a cellar in an old building, but nothing can prepare her for the way the body has been left.
All the team are shocked and realise they’ve got a really twisted killer on their hands.
More bodies are soon discovered and they’ve all
Jilrene ♥
Note to self - title is Death in the Lakes on my Kindle
book page
Kate Ellis
Nov 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A good plot with intrigue and some suspense. It would have been helpful to know what other characters thought of Detective Beth Young. Another writer to add to my ever growing list.
peggy
Nov 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am an avid fan of this author I love his Jake Boulder series which is excellent and it looks as though he has another winner with this new series. We are introduced to Detective Beth Young who has just joined the Cumbrian Major Crimes, she is to prove to herself and others that she is good at her job. Beth is trying to fit into a new team,she is smart, tenacious and thinks outside the box.
Her first case looks like a ritualistic killing, the body has been posed arms spread and wings attached t
Sean Talbot
Oct 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Review to come with blogtour
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

Detective Beth Young (2 books)
  • A Body in the Lakes (Detective Beth Young #2)