Start by marking “East of England” as Want to Read:

East of England

Dan Matlock is out of jail. He's got a choice. Stay or leave. Go back to where it all went wrong, or simply get out of the county. Disappear. Start again as someone else.

But it's not as simple as that.

Published January 24th 2019 by Unbound Digital

To ask other readers questions about East of England, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about East of England

Fran
Jan 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
The British industrial countryside was populated by laborers and farmers. They ran caravan parks, "greasy spoon" diners and farm markets. Liam and Anthony Corrigan were "meat and muscle" men. "Uncle Roy" Minton represented the upper echelon, wealth achieved through legal as well as illegal means. The Mintons owned land and building contracts. A vendetta was set into motion when Daniel Matlock accidentally killed the wrong man. Having served two years in prison, he was now a free man.

Matlock had
Paul
Jan 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I read East of England pre publication through the pigeonhole app, and I am so glad I took this opportunity.

Gritty, realistic, and deliciously dark, this is a novel that draws you into its brutal embrace and takes you on a journey that, although rarely comfortable, is one you won't forget in a hurry. Solid but unpredictable characters carry the reader through a twisting plot which is as unrelenting as it is enjoyable.

I shall certainly be looking forward to more adventures from the inventive mind
Lel Budge

By Eamonn Griffin

Published by Unbound Digital

PUBLISHERS BLURB

But it's not as simple as that.

There's the matter of the man he killed. It wasn't murder, but even so. You tell that to the family. Especially when that family is the Mintons, who own half that's profitable and two-thirds of what's crooked between the W
Alex Clare
Jan 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A read that sucks you in, bleak words for bleak landscapes. Deceptively simple, with an anti hero who keeps you just on the right side of him...
Rosebelle Otieno
Jan 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The action is fast, the main character is real - you love and hate him at different points because he’s got a good heart but can also do some bad things.

I was left with many questions at the end, so I’ve got a feeling that this is the beginning of a series like Jack Reacher or John Wick.
Amelia
Jan 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed this. Enjoyed the story, characters and Eamonn’s writing style, brutal yet gripping. Really looking forward to a sequel. I was lucky enough to read this via the Pigeonhole App, one Stave a day over ten days. I quickly became absorbed and couldn’t wait for each stave to arrive!
Pheadra
Jan 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: pigeon-books
This book is the tale of Matlock, who has spent two years in prison for killing a man. The act was an accident but in a place where mafia-type families rule the area, his choice is to leave or stay and face the consequences of his actions, when he is released.

The scene is set as the title implies East of England and brings the reader to an industrial area with low rise farms, caravan parks and flatlands interspersed with small forgettable towns.
Violence, revenge and retribution form the body of
Rick Neal
Jan 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
I thoroughly enjoyed Mr. Griffin's East of England! There was plenty of action right from the start and many surprises along the way. The characters come alive in their interactions with each other and you are drawn in right from the start. I read the book in 10 staves at The Pigeon Hole. I live in the United States and it is not available on our Amazon yet but I will keep watch for it. I heartily recommend it.
Jaccy
Jan 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
That was one awesome read. The story of Matlock had me on edge with anticipation. I loved reading this book so much
Sandra Saunders
Jan 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Rachael Boswell
Jan 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thrill ride... Not my normal genre as maybe a little too much violence for me but really enjoyed this. Kept having to remind myself it's set in the 80s hence no mobiles to make life easier. Couldn't help but like the main character and gripping stuff seeing how he was going to sort out the mess he was in.
Christine
Jan 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Very gripping from page 1. You start reading about this man fighting for his conscience and coming to terms with his life. What has happened to his father? dead or alive? The story will tell you...
Claire
Jan 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
Really enjoyed this book.
Yvonne Fisher
Jan 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed this book and look forward to reading the next by this author
Jack Bates
Shelves: unbound
An excellent 'rural noir' set in a part of the UK I only know from books. The 'landscape as character' works really well here, and this is a tense and well constructed novel, with an unpleasant semi-twist and lots of realistically nasty characters. The protagonist is compelling despite his flaws, I'd certainly be happy to read more about him.

Also I always like a subplot about red diesel.

(I read this on Pigeonhole, which releases a section every day for ten days or whatever. This is an interestin
Gail Wylde
Jan 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: pigeonhole
This was a thrilling read with a bad boy hero, Matlock who I loved. I’m looking forward to reading more about him in the future. The writing was excellent and the level of violence was in keeping with the story.
Thank you Pigeonhole and Eamonn Griffin for a great read.
Marjorie
Jan 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Lets get this clear from the start - Dan Matlock is a cold, calculating recidivist who appears to have little in the way of redeeming characteristics. This made it a very hard book for me to actively enjoy reading. Without the desire for the protagonist of the book to overcome his obstacles I found myself not really engaging with the plot that lurches from one criminal act to another. The odd thing is that if this had been a "True Crime" book then I would have enjoyed far more than reading about ...more
D.Hartman
Jan 19, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: pigeonhole
Short advice to others: Try an excerpt - if you're hooked from the get go, this is a book for you :)

I needed to get used to the writing style and some elements and events of the story rubbed me the wrong way. However, I still think the work is gripping and enjoyable if you like the style, the nostalgic feeling of 1980s England, and violence, feuds, revenge and brawn over brains-ish protagonists are your thing.

The story follows an initially unlikable main character and how his past, both good and
Angela
Jan 17, 2019 rated it liked it
Dan Matlock has got out of jail .
There the murder of the man he killed it wasn’t murder .
When Matlock found out in prison there is no getting away from your self.
So it’s time to go home
I had an ARC from Unbound Digital
Sonja Charters
Jan 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
A book about mobs, family code, loyalty and revenge!
This book drags you in right from the start!
Matlock is released from prison after serving a 2 year sentence for a death he (accidentally) caused.
We follow him on his journey back home to make things right and whilst we are rooting for him to "go straight", we can't help feeling his anguish as he discovers more and more betrayal.
A book that keeps you wondering and second guessing.
A character that you want to support but somehow know he's sti
Angela
Feb 13, 2019 rated it liked it
Wasn't really my cup of tea but well written. For those that enjoy this genre I would recommend. I never guessed the plot which made me keep reading and kept me interested.
ASDerban
Feb 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
This isn’t my type of book at all. It’s very violent and the descriptions are pretty graphic. The writing can be very choppy. It made me think of a Jason Statham thriller and I’m sure this could be easily turned into an action film.

However, I still give it 4 stars because Eamonn is an amazing writer. I could see all the action as it unfolded. The choppiness added to the atmosphere. I did care about Matlock a great deal, thought him intelligent and interesting, and found myself wondering about h
Sandi
Jan 31, 2019
Jan 13, 2019
Pasi Kupiainen
Jan 13, 2019
Eamonn Griffin was born and raised in Lincolnshire, though these days he lives in north-east Wales.

He's worked as a stonemason, a strawberry picker, in plastics factories (everything from packing those little bags for loose change you get from banks to production planning via transport manager via fork-lift driving), in agricultural and industrial laboratories, in a computer games shop, and latte