Start by marking “The Shop on Peculiar Hill (The Vale of Strange Book 1)” as Want to Read:
The Shop on Peculiar Hill (The Vale of Strange Book 1)

The Shop on Peculiar Hill (The Vale of Strange Book 1)

it was amazing 5.00  ·  Rating details ·  6 ratings  ·  3 reviews
When Peter comes to live with his aunt and uncle at the shop on Peculiar Hill, he has a lot to learn. What are bogeys and heeble-greebs and the other fierce creatures which live in the nearby Vale of Strange? Why is it so important to wear a hat and sturdy boots? And what is this stuff called strangeness which comes bubbling out of the ground? When Peter discovers the dark ...more
Published December 1st 2018 by Journey Fiction

To ask other readers questions about The Shop on Peculiar Hill, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Shop on Peculiar Hill

it was amazing 5.00  ·

Lorraine
Jan 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Grimly Darkwood The Shop on Peculiar Hill

This debut fantasy novel by Grimly Darkwood is targeted at 8 - 12 year olds, but might appeal to any age group - it certainly appealed to me (73 and three quarters). The story charts the adventures of Peter, orphaned and newly fostered by an aunt and uncle, in a very peculiar environment indeed. This is a world populated by strange and threatening creatures - although the dark side of the story never, in my view, gets out of hand; we somehow know it will
Mani
Firstly, I would like to thank the author for sending me a review copy of this book.

This is Grim Darkwood’s debut and first novel in theVale of StrangeSeries. It’s originally aimed at readers aged 8-12 year olds but after reading it I think it’s a great read for any age.

For someone who hasn’t read a book in the age group for ages I really found it enjoyable.

The book is beautifully written, with an interesting story full of adventure and strange creatures. It was also funny and gripping  all at t
Martin
Dec 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a quirky and original children's fantasy. There are eccentrically named monsters, adventure, mild peril and some really great gags. Darkwood is not afraid to address chunkier issues such as 'why do we discount the lives of people we don't know?' which adds extra depth to this highly entertaining book.
J.L. Farey
Dec 08, 2018
Jane Potter
is currently reading it
Mar 20, 2019
Grimly Darkwood was born in the year nineteen hundred and blinkety blonk, which was a very long time ago. In those days, things were very different from how they are today. Carts were more common than cars, mobile phones had not been invented, and if you were very lucky, the highlight of your day was to find a free plastic spaceman in a packet of corn flakes.

Grimly thought that the sights and soun