Jump to ratings and reviews

End of Forever #2

A Beggar's Kingdom

Love was just the beginning ... The second novel in Paullina Simons' stunning End of Forever saga continues the heartbreaking story of Julian and Josephine, and a love that spans lifetimes.

Sometimes a second chance is your only hope.

Is there a fate beyond the fates? Julian has failed Josephine once. Despite grave danger and impossible odds, he is determined to do the unimaginable and try again to save the woman he loves.

What follows is a love story like no other as the doomed lovers embark on an incredible adventure across time and space. Racing through history and against the merciless clock, they face countless dangers and deadly enemies.

Living amid beauty and ecstasy, bloodshed and betrayal, each time they court and cheat death brings Julian and Josephine closer to an unthinkable sacrifice and a confrontation with the harshest master of all...destiny.

Don't miss The Tiger Catcher, the stunning first End of Forever novel!

656 pages, Paperback

First published July 23, 2019

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Paullina Simons

30 books4,649 followers
Paullina Simons was born in Leningrad, USSR, in 1963. At the age of ten her family immigrated to the United States. Growing up in Russia Paullina dreamt of someday becoming a writer. Her dream was put on hold as she learned English and overcame the shock of a new culture.

After graduating from university and after various jobs including working as a financial journalist and as a translator Paullina wrote her first novel Tully. Through word of mouth that book was welcomed by readers all over the world.

She continued with more novels, including Red Leaves, Eleven Hours, The Bronze Horseman, The Bridge to Holy Cross (also known as Tatiana and Alexander), The Summer Garden and The Girl in Times Square (also known as Lily). Many of Paullina's novels have reached international bestseller lists.

Apart from her novels, Paullina has also written a cookbook, Tatiana's Table, which is a collection of recipes, short stories and recollections from her best selling trilogy of novels, The Bronze Horseman, The Bridge to Holy Cross, (also known as Tatiana and Alexander) and The Summer Garden.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
57 (6%)
1 star
14 (1%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 70 reviews
Profile Image for AtenRa.
521 reviews81 followers
September 19, 2019
THIS BOOK PIERCED RIGHT THROUGH MY CHEST, TOOK MY HEART OUT AND SLOWLY CRUSHED IT UNDER ITS BOOT.
WHY BOOK??😭😭

Julian’s and Josephine’s love story achieves epic proportions in book 2, as Julian time travels 4 times (yes, 4) in different periods starting from 1600s+ to early 1900s.

I cannot write a proper review without including spoilers, so for those of you who haven’t read book 2, steer clear.
Also, just a warning: this review is going to be super long because I am going to comment on each time travel period individually.

Julian first time travels to 1665. I liked his journey to the other side better in book 1 (the leap) than the caves in book 2. Because the time travelling itself happens very early in the book (page 20 or so), it felt a bit sudden and awkward to me. I didn’t like Josephine-Mallory – not a big surprise there- and I couldn’t help but wonder why Julian puts himself through all that crap to be with this person who is so obviously cunning and manipulative.
This time around she is a thief and a murderer. She actually told Julian that he ruined her plans to become wealthy with his love, and I don’t think she would have any qualms about hurting Julian to get what she wanted. And the funny part is that Julian knew that and was still willing to sacrifice everything for her. So, yeah. I found that very farfetched (even for time travel!) and ridiculous. When they try to escape through the great fire of London she dies and he is brought back.

The second time Julian time travelled, he landed on 1775 right in the most poor, dangerous and disgusting part of London. Josephine-Miri was a thief and a small time con artist. Herself, her mom and a couple others in her gang, basically live in the streets which are full of diseases and infections. Yeah, not a happy place. Julian even says “Everything stinks, every minute of every day”. I guess he meant it both metaphorically and literally. I think Julian (and the reader) is at his most miserable on this timeline. He is desperately trying to earn Josephine-Miri's love knowing he only has 49 days and she doesn’t even acknowledge his existence, she wants nothing to do with him. When he finally gets her to come around and run away together, they are ambushed by her old gang who betrays her, and both of them are sentenced to public abuse and humiliation, basically setting them up on the pillory and having the public throwing stuff at them. How's that for dismal gloom and doom uh? It was as depressing as it sounds and to see Julian's utter devastation as he realises he is brought back to the present without having achieved anything, was too much for my poor heart to take.

Present :
Ashton, man. I mean, what was that? I wanted to punch him in the face and throw the book out the window. Nothing, and I mean nothing, Ashton had been through in his life could justify his actions. He was a lying, cheating dog. End of story. I hated Julian trying to justify his behaviour to Z. “He is who he is and you knew when you chose him”. No, dude. It doesn’t work like that. Not everything is justified by “It is what it is”, I don’t accept it. Be a man and take some responsibility for your shitty behaviour.
Also, what happened to Riley stayed with me for a long time after I read it. At first, I thought it was such a cheap shot and a belittlement of Riley’s character. I didn’t want Ashton to be cast as this important and impactful presence in Riley’s life whose absence and betrayal made her to literally go mad. After mulling it over, I thought of Z.'s ending and how these two girls, with completely different backgrounds, decided to make different decisions and take different paths in life after such a loss and sense of abandonment. So even though Riley’s demise for lack of a better word still chafes, I understand why Simons wanted to make that comparison and contradiction.

The third time Julian travelles was to 1854 and this was hands down my favourite period. It was the first time I actually liked Jospehine-Mirabelle. She didn’t put on airs, she was respectful and humble with poise without being rigid and cold. She fell in love with Julian straight away without it being obnoxious insta love. It was the first time it was hinted that Jospehine-Mirabelle knew Julian already, and their coming together was just glorious. I loved everything in that story, except for the ending of course which was- surprise surprise! super tragic. Regardless of their ending it was the only time that I actually believed their eternal love, connection and devotion to each other. If Josephine was like that in book 1, it would be just perfect.
Also, the Jon Snow reference killed me!

Present:
Ashton’s death shook me, I am not gonna lie. I detested him after what he did to those girls but the way his death was written was just soul crushing. I was sad for him sure, but mostly I was sad for Julian and all the loss he suffered and how he still soldiered on driven by his love for this one girl. Sounds super cheesy I know, but Simons is just that good: she makes you care about the most unlikeable characters and have all these deep feelings about the corniest situations.

The fourth and final time, Julian travelled to 1911 and this time he lands in New Zealand where “Josephine’s” mum took her, after she had a gypsy warn her about her daughter’s curse. They have all been waiting for Julian as this "mystery man" who would come and save “Josephine” from the curse. This story was the most difficult one to wrap my mind around as I was an emotional and mental wreck by that point. This timeline is very dark, and it reminded me a lot of the feeling I got when watching Twin Peaks. That sense of foreboding, of always being in danger. I especially liked Julian’s scene with Edgar Evans. I liked the directness and how it played out, finally showcasing a strong minded man other than Julian. Bit of a dick, but hey, so is Julian if we’re being honest.

All in all, A Beggar’s Kingdom was a quite long, massively depressing read. Reason being, the absence of multiple POVs so the reader is constantly attacked by Julian’s extremely dark thoughts and feelings with no possible escape.
Simon outdid herself once again with her outstanding writing. If the same story was written by anyone else, I would never have made it to book 2. Obviously, there were parts I liked more and parts that made me very angry. I thought to myself many times "Do I actually like this book? I don't like any of the characters."
The answer is yes. As long as a book is unputdownable and it makes me think and feel things, it's the bomb as far as I'm concerned.
Let’s hope for a great conclusion in Inexpressible Island (book 3) coming out November 2019.
Profile Image for Amanda - Mrs B's Book Reviews.
1,864 reviews261 followers
January 21, 2020
*https://mrsbbookreviews.wordpress.com
A Beggar’s Kingdom is the second novel in a groundbreaking three part series, penned by Paullina Simons. It is the story of a love like no other, devotion, survival, pain and heartbreak. It covers time, space and history, taking the reader on an unforgettable journey into the unknown. A Beggar’s Kingdom truly encapsulates the term a ‘grand saga’ and it will be sure to enthrall fans of the series.

A Beggar’s Kingdom follows the unique love story of Julian and Josephine. Following the peril and failure of his last attempt to win Josephine’s heart forever, Julian is prepared to once again put his life on the line for the woman he loves. What follows in this quest is an expedition across lands afar and times past. A Beggar’s Kingdom takes a leap back in the history books, as Julian negotiates a set of challenges in order to cement his life with Josephine. It will lead this hero into great danger, puzzling times and immense grief. Along the way, Julian relies on his friends more than ever, but he also makes some foes on this incredible journey. This is the compelling story of a suitor who is determined to woo his love despite the setbacks of fate, time, circumstance and betrayal. As breathtaking and as involved as the previous issue in this series, A Beggar’s Kingdom is a true testament to a love like no other.

I really admire what Paullina Simons is doing for the publishing world with her one of kind series, the End of Forever Saga. Tapping into our current preoccupation for binge watching and the rise in popularity of streaming apps, Paullina Simons has created a three part books series that can be consumed in just a short period of time. No longer does the reader have to sit and eagerly wait the next book in a series they love, Paullina Simons has it covered! This three part saga has been released in less than a year, which is virtually unheard of for a book series.

I almost admitted defeat with A Beggar’s Kingdom. I definitely felt the breadth of this one, but I was determined to plough through, despite my fatigue at times, it was well worth it. A Beggar’s Kingdom is an all-encompassing tale. Grand is an understatement for this novel! Monumental is perhaps a better choice of word to describe this very original series. I do suggest given my struggles with this book at times to race through, that you read The Tiger Catcher, the first book in the series to decide if this saga is for you. The first book will also give you some essential padding to the epic second novel.

What I appreciated the first book and I continued to value in my reading of A Beggar’s Kingdom is the fact that it has altered by perception of time travel. Previous to this series I would shy away from books that cover this topic, I just find it too outlandish! However, Paullina Simons has made the time travel aspect in her novel work incredibly well. In A Beggar’s Kingdom, I was impressed rather than confused, which is what usually happens when I approach a time travel style book.

Simons has really done her homework with A Beggar’s Kingdom. We are again presented with a very full and well researched novel. Simons dips in and out of at least four different time period and locations, which is an amazing accomplishment. She also balances this with a compelling contemporary thread, extending on her characters and their lives in the present day. There was an abundance of narrative lines and snippets of information to inhale while I read A Beggar’s Kingdom. I definitely enjoyed my odyssey with Julian and company.

The historical footing and cosmos travelled by our intrepid Romeo really is awe inspiring. I had no idea where the book was headed, it definitely branched off in a number of different and unexpected directions. At its core, A Beggar’s Kingdom follows the overarching of themes of true love, sacrifice, devotion, survival, risk and adventure. With a heart stopping close, make sure you have the next and final book in the series on hand, as you will want to reach for it immediately!

Profile Image for Ellen ✦ Book Bellas ✦.
1,517 reviews326 followers
August 18, 2019
"To be on the meridian, in the cave, on the river, was life. The rest was just waiting."

Truly epic!! A series that travels through time walks a very fine line, but Paullina Simons has outdone herself in the second book in the 'End of Forever' saga. Julian and Josephine are soul mates thought all eternity, and Julian literally risks his life over and over again to find his one true love in her many incarnations. This series is completely spellbinding! The amount of detail in this book is absolutely amazing. 'A Beggars Kingdom' even manages to infuse humor into some very bleak situations. The narrator of the audiobook once again did a brilliant job of bringing the very diverse cast of characters to life.

That wasn't a shadow life. That was real. Or is this real?

Will Julian and Josephine ever truly find each other again? Or are they doomed to be apart forever? I don't want to give away any spoilers because this is one of THE most imaginative stories I have ever encountered. Jules continues to search through time for his lost love, and the characters he meets are simply unforgettable. Just when I thought things looked hopeless, the author worked her magic and surprised me yet again. A story of true love, hope and bravery, I cannot wait for the final book in the series 'Inexpressible Island' which is releasing later in 2019!

"Don't you want to find love again, Jules?

"I've found it. It's right here."
Profile Image for Kathy.
612 reviews23 followers
August 25, 2019
Following on from The Tiger Catcher, A Beggar’s Kingdom is where we continue on with the love story of Julian & Josephine. Being an epic time travel, there is a lot to this book where we get to travel to 5 different historical periods. The last two got a little repetitive for me (which is why it seemed to take so long for me to read this book I think and why I’m dropping a star), but all in all I am invested in the story and look forward to the final book coming out in November. I’m still surprised at the direction Paullina has taken in her writing, but happy I am enjoying the series.
Profile Image for Theresa Smith.
Author 5 books146 followers
December 23, 2019
Earlier this year I read The Tiger Catcher, book one in a new series by Paullina Simons which she calls, the End of Forever saga. A Beggar’s Kingdom is book two, and what an extraordinary ride it is! Granted, it’s very long, far more than its predecessor, and more than two hundred pages chunkier than its follow up. There were a few times, particularly in the middle, where I began to feel the weight of this length, but before I knew it, Paullina had done it again: kept me on my toes and bludgeoned me with the unexpected. I think that’s part of why I really like these books so much, they’re constantly surprising me and almost genre-less. This one, A Beggar’s Kingdom, is both contemporary and historical fiction – and no, I don’t mean dual timeline. Julian time travels four times to four different historical eras – so you can throw in magical realism, alongside mystery, romance at times, and the narrative is so lyrical that it borders on literary more often than not. I absolutely love it all the more for this mish-mash of genre and form. Not many authors can achieve this with any degree of finesse, but Paullina Simons seems to have made it all her own style.

‘Nothing remained in the whiteout desert that was Julian’s life, across every icy plane, across every dimension. Everything was levelled.’

A Beggar’s Kingdom is quite an ambitious achievement. Four historical eras, each in a different century; the world building alone is impressive. And there is so much in terms of detail and atmosphere poured into each era. As a fan of historical fiction, this was a treat quadrupled. This novel also dives deeper into who Julian is, the depth of his friendship with Ashton, which also gives us more insight into Ashton himself. We learn more about Devi, as well as Ava, who is Mia’s mother (Mia is Josephine’s real name). I really enjoyed this character development of all the major players, and like the intricate world building, this character building is meticulous and not without purpose – in every instance. Like a puzzle to be fitted together, Paullina scatters her pieces over the many chapters, but through character and setting, they all begin to click into place. Storytelling brilliance.

There is a lot of pain and anguish within this novel, even more so than the first. Grief abounds, not just for Julian, and when we think Paullina can’t possibly inflict anymore suffering upon him, well, she goes ahead and does it anyway. We also finally get to meet a Josephine/Mia that is not only tolerable, but actually very likeable, which makes her inevitable death hurt even more. But overall, it’s Julian’s passion and force of conviction that he can rewrite the past that steals the show here. He dies himself, a little bit more, each time he time travels, but he just never gives up. This is more epic love story than sweeping romance, with all of the tragedy and the never getting even close to a happy ending. I just can’t get enough of it. It’s possibly one of the grimmest novels I’ve ever read, but the sharp humour, the expansive world building, unique story arc, and very human characters, all make A Beggar’s Kingdom one of my top five favourites from Paullina Simons. It’s that good. But, you can’t read it as a standalone. Definitely not. It’s all or nothing with this saga, which in actuality, is more like one very long novel split into three parts, than a series in its usual form.

‘You looked at me strangely, too deeply. You stared at me with pain in your eyes. You do see how that can unsettle any girl, not just me, how that can make any girl uneasy? You looked at me like I broke your heart, yet I didn’t know you at all.’

Highly recommended.
April 4, 2020
Is it just me, or can anyone else just not really get a heart-wrenching grip on Julian and Josephine’s love story?! I just can’t get into this storyline because I don’t believe it. From the very beginning, I found Josephine’s character to be using, manipulative and selfish and don’t really understand his fascination with her 🤷‍♀️ I can’t get my head around if he truely loves her, or if he keeps going back just to save her to free himself from his own guilt? I love The Bronze Horseman and it’s one of my all time favs, so in comparison to Alexander and Tatiana... there’s just no comparison and I think that’s why I’m disappointed. Paullina writes such a epic love story, and in this series, I just can’t seem to feel it.
Profile Image for Shruti Ramanujam.
227 reviews71 followers
August 17, 2019
I'll be very honest with you--I absolutely detest insta love. It was one of the main reasons why I didn't like the first book much, despite it having a dynamite time travel romance.

This book, however, was a lot better than the first, with lyrical prose, more depth to the main characters, and an even more intriguing plot.

Read the entire review on This is Lit.
Profile Image for Jewel.
776 reviews17 followers
August 4, 2019
Even better than the first book in the trilogy. Paullina Simons has never written a book I didn't like, but this is one of her best. Watching Julian travel through time again and again to save the life of his love, the unlikable, dramatic, and driven Josephine is so romantic. I can't wait for the last book.
3 reviews2 followers
July 31, 2019
Almost done with this one and I don't want it to end!! I absolutely love it, one of this author's best works
Profile Image for Angelique Simonsen.
1,245 reviews22 followers
November 10, 2019
Im impressed as this is better than the first one! Now I'm excited to read the third and see where Mia and Justin end up
Profile Image for Jody.
832 reviews4 followers
December 28, 2019
It sounds like this should be an instant success. Guy falls in love and keeps risking his life, travelling back through time to spend just 49 days with his true love. Each time she is a different reincarnation ( but still her), and honestly I should love this so much. However - Josephine, is just unlikeable. I can't see why he loves her so much. To me, his soul mate is his best friend, Ashton, and maybe this is where the series is going.

In spite of my misgivings, I have to read the next book in the trilogy, because Simons is good at her craft and ended it on a cliff hanger.
Profile Image for Bambi Unbridled.
1,282 reviews138 followers
August 4, 2019
description

A Beggar's Kingdom is the second installment of Paullina Simons' End of Forever series, an epic romance saga spanning time and distance. Phew, this second book put me through the ringer! If you are looking for a happy-go-lucky romance story, this definitely is not it. But if you want to get emotionally invested in your lead character, this is the story for you.

Note: This review may contain spoilers for the previous book, The Tiger Catcher.

So in The Tiger Catcher, we met Julian Cruz, who is quite the interesting hero. An intellectual boxer and seemingly a desperate romantic. He's not my typical favored hero, but I am so wrapped up in his story that I can't help but love Julian. We follow Julian as he meets and falls in love with Josephine (a/k/a Mia), who was not a very likable heroine. Then we follow Julian through a terrible grief after losing Mia, before he meets a shaman who assists him with finding her earlier incarnations to try to save her soul before its too late.

Now in A Beggar's Kingdom, we see Julian try again and again to find and save his true love before its too late. Will he be successful with another version of Mia - Mary, Miri, Mirabelle, Mary-Margaret? What's the lucky year -1603, 1666, 1775, 1854, 1911? Or will Julian kill himself in the effort to save to save another... and what will his journeys through time and space cost him? I don't think I've ever read a hero with more perseverance and dedication, and Julian's continued bravery astounded me. Needless to say, my heart broke so many times during this story... it was like a roller coaster of anxiety. I definitely had a hard time keeping a dry eye while I was reading this on my flights this week.

But while Julian's life seems stuck in the past (literally), things continue to happen in the present time with those secondary characters who were tied to Julian. I was surprised by many things, particularly how the lives of Riley, Ashton and Zakiyyah were unfolding. Talk about drama and jaw-dropping events! My feelings for Ashton rose and fell and rose again - but you can't deny his unflagging loyalty to Julian. Devi was not quite as present, but was still interspersed in the story. But we got the addition of Mia's mother, Ava, and I think she will be an interesting presence going forward.

Like I said above, this is not a happy story. But it is captivating. I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced copy of this book that I received from the publisher.
Profile Image for Shelly Record.
111 reviews9 followers
September 8, 2019
I love Paullina Simons sagas. Her details and the depths of her characters place her head and shoulders above her peers.
Profile Image for Kathleen.
75 reviews1 follower
July 2, 2020
I gave up at page 378, this one should’ve been split into 2 books. I just lost interest in the characters and the story. I tried my best.
Profile Image for Ilana.
149 reviews
November 9, 2019
Amazing book! And I thought nothing can get close to the 'bronze horseman' trilogy... These first two books get pretty close. I am both eager and scared to read the last book..
9 reviews
June 10, 2020
The Bronze Horseman trilogy this is not. Both the male protagonist and his female love interest aren't very likeable at all. I don't know if that was intentional, or the audience is supposed to buy this "epic" love story just because it fits a love-at-first-sight structure, but there seem to be a lot of indicators that making the female love interest unlikeable was actually intentional. The bad thing is that this isn't really clear until about 50% into the 2nd book during the Julian/Z fight. In the first book and in parts of the second book, I wasn't sure if Simons was doing a parody of the manic pixie dream girl trope or if she truly believed the Julian/Josephine love story was actually deserving of being called an epic love story. I do wish Simons hit harder on the question of whether Josephine deserved Julian's love at all. Julian mentions it here and there, but he basically just ends up deciding she does, despite the fact that she seemed to be a pathological liar who was two-timing him and in many of the time-travel realities she is just straight-up mean to him until he is able to convince her he is "worthy" of her by showering her with money and trips to the theater. I guess a soulmate is a soulmate even if by all accounts they are a bad person, huh? If you decide someone is a good person, they just are, despite anything else they may do. A lot of the time the different Josephines seem to spontaneously switch between loathing Julian and loving him. The character's switch in feelings is pretty jarring every time, and I don't know how you could still root for them to be together after she betrays him over and over again in multiple universes. Sure everyone deserves love, but that doesn't give them freedom from consequences when they keep hurting the people they love over and over again.

Another thing that really bugs me about the trilogy so far is how Julian seems either really dumb or terribly naive about time travel. I didn't realize it was supposed to be a "twist" that Josephine would keep dying in every time travel scenario. Maybe that's because I've read too many other, better time-travel books, but that seems to be a standard theme in this genre. There's also the saying, "History repeats itself," so I don't know why Julian would be shocked when that actually happens. He also kept telling all these people in different centuries that he was a guy from the future and using his real name and using things invented in the future, even knowing that people went around burning other people for being witches back in those times and his unusual name would make him a target. Every time he was like *surprised pikachu face* when something bad happened as a result. He was just a really slow learner, I guess.

Simons is a compelling enough storyteller to make me want to finish the trilogy, but it's not something I would probably revisit. I did think the 2nd book was better than the 1st book, so here's hoping that trend continues for the 3rd book. The best thing I can say about this book is that it's at least interesting to see how bad Josephine will keep screwing Julian over in every universe.
3 reviews
August 9, 2021
The main protagonists are just unlikeable the idea is cool but when you just don’t like the characters it makes it a bit hard to read! Nowhere near as good as The Bronze Horseman
Profile Image for Romanticamente Fantasy.
6,157 reviews169 followers
January 24, 2023
Emanuela - per RFS
Chi conosce questa autrice già sa che parliamo di saghe, imprese epiche, personaggi psicologicamente forti o debolissimi.

Non poteva certo smentirsi in questo nuovo capitolo di una serie che impressiona per il ritmo con il quale l���autrice ci racconta le vicende di Julian Cruz, il protagonista dell’intera storia.

Vi preavviso che mi sono fatta scappare il primo volume di questa opera, ma non ho avuto nessuna difficoltà a recuperare il tutto: non è un romance e neppure un paranormal economico, è un curioso ibrido di fantasy nel quale Julian, si muove saltando dal nostro tempo a epoche diverse attraverso un corridoio spazio temporale situato nel locale del telescopio dell’osservatorio. Il suo obiettivo è quello di incontrare la donna amata che aveva perso la vita quarantanove giorni esatti dopo il loro primo incontro nel nostro secolo.

Si ricongiunge a lei in epoche diverse, quasi sempre a Londra, sopravvivendo a disavventure pazzesche ma non riuscendo mai a salvarle la vita.

Consumato ormai dai rimorsi, ha accanto solo il gaudente Ashton, vecchio amico d’infanzia a cui ha confidato i suoi segreti e Devi, uno sciamano orientale che fa il cuoco in un ristorante etnico e che cerca di guidarlo in scelte più consapevoli. Completano il quadro due figure femminili che fanno da contraltare alla donna dei suoi sogni.

La protagonista femminile, pur nelle sue reincarnazioni, è caratterizzata da una personalità altalenante, un’abile doppiogiochista che nonostante una palese scorrettezza nei confronti di questo poveretto che attraversa gli oceani del tempi per stare con lei, non riesce a prendere una posizione sincera.

Lo fa solo nel finale del romanzo che ci precipita in un cliffhanger d’atmosfera, durante una scena evocativa tra i ghiacci artici.

L’autrice descrive con la consueta perizia le varie epoche, approfondendone particolarmente le brutture e le aberrazioni.

Sicuramente un bellissimo romanzo ma assolutamente non ai livelli della saga del Cavaliere d’inverno dove entrambi i protagonisti avevano personalità colossali e sentimenti appassionati.

Profile Image for Dijana.
84 reviews23 followers
September 10, 2019
"...you are the source of all my joy - and all my misery. Bliss and sorrow are the headwaters of the brief eternity I spend with you."

Ever since I read The Bronze Horseman I have been reading so much for years looking for a book that will affect me as much as The Bronze Horseman does. I have finally found it. This is it. It is again written by my favorite Paullina Simons, no wonder there. This End of Forever series has awoken in me the same feelings I felt while reading TBH. The angst, the pain, the longing and the overwelming love. This book consumed me.
The Tiger Catcher is just the beginning. The starting point of the most remarkable story. The more the story evolved in The Beggar's Kingdom the better it got and the more I felt for it. Little by little I fell in love with Julian the same way I fell in love with Alexander. But, it is not just the story itself. It is Paullina's writting. She does this to me with all her books. She can turn any story in the most heartfelt thing you have ever experienced. She potrays her characters so vividly that you know them inside out and you have no choice but to feel for them and to feel with them. Julian, Josephine, Ashton, Devi, Ava. All are such remarkable characters and I feel for them all.
This book will be on my mind a lot. I have so many theories, hopes, fears and expectations for the third book "The Inexpressible Island" and I can't wait to read it. I know that Paullina will not disappoint us. We will have a perfect ending for a perfect series.
Profile Image for Lisa.
573 reviews
March 6, 2020
A Beggar’s Kingdom, by Paullina Simons, is the second book in the End of Forever Saga. In it we continue to follow Julian and Josephine’s story, as it continues thru time, as the soul mates try to defy their fate. The author has given us some of her best work in this epic tale of heart break and enduring love. It is the kind of story that will touch you and stay with you long after the end.

Julian is devasted that he was not able to save Josephine in his previous attempt to join her younger soul in the past. Despite the failure, and the consequences of that, he is determined to try again despite the risks and the odds stacked against him. I do not want to say more on the fear of giving away too much. I want the reader to be as surprised and shattered as I was by the twists and turns this story takes.

First thing I would like to note is that you need to read book one before this one. While the author does a good job of recapping what occurred in book one, it is not enough to understand the depth of Julian and all the events that lead to the opening of book two. In short, it is the detail of the characters and events that make this series and you don’t want to miss out on any of it. In fact, I am so enthralled by the story I am going to jump right into book three.

My favorite thing about Ms. Simons stories is the attention to detail. The way she sets a scene and the depth of her characters always keep me coming back for more and this book is no exception. I totally felt Julian’s devotion to Josephine and his devasting loss when he failed to save her. In this story there are plenty of twists of fate that will keep you engaged and you will marvel in wonder at Julian’s devotion and tenacity.

I highly recommend this book to readers that love to be sweep away in a story. It the kind of story that is so emotionally raw it left me rung out and I loved every minute of it.
For more of my reviews, and author interviews, see my blog at www.thespineview.com.
1 review
November 23, 2019
I reluctantly borrowed this book from the library after I was left feeling very disappointed with the first book in this series. I wasn't relating with the characters and I'm not usually into the time travel stories. But I do love Paullina Simons so I took the chance to have her change my mind about Julian and Josephine, and I'm so glad I did. This book pulled at all my emotions and had me feeling joy, sorrow, disbelief, happiness, speechless, and some in great extremes. Despite not being a time travel fan, the insight into different periods of time really interested me and I found that I was actually looking forward to reading the next period of time travel and where it was that Julian would find Josephine. A Beggar's Kingdom doesn't make for light reading but I did (mostly) enjoy reading it. I am now eagerly waiting to get my hands on the third book. Whilst some characters I'm still not relating to, Paullina Simons has done an excellent job at enable me to know and understand them.
Profile Image for Halime.
154 reviews
July 2, 2020
The Tiger Catcher was a 3/5 and this one is a 3.5/5.
The story definitely picks up in this book. I was able to watch the love grow more, and become more connected with their love, especially with Mirabelle. I really do still love Paullina Simons. She doesn't just give life to characters but she gives life to the setting as well.

I do love the back and forth between the centuries. I also really love Julian. He's had considerable character development already and I LOVE it. The only thing holding it back is that it picked up halfway through the book. Only halfway did I really start becoming intrigued. I feel as though if Paullina dragged it on a bit more, allowed more time for each of the girls, I would have felt that connection to the characters sooner.

Ava and Devi together is a duo I never realized I wanted, which I also loved.
397 reviews3 followers
November 4, 2020
Ummmm, let's see. Terrible ending. And I do expect more from Ms. Simons --- usually each volume of a series from her desk is a solid, stand-alone read. A Beggar's Kingdom, not so much. I think it mostly had to do with a very ambiguous ending.

I think the first installment was better; but that said, I do want to see how it ends, so I have moved on to #3. This is a testament to the one thing that Ms. Simons always excels at: story craft.

My advice to someone thinking of reading this book, is (1) read The Tiger Catcher first and (perhaps more importantly) (2) if you have never read Ms. Simons before read one of her others -- they are all terrific!

Hoping the next volume is better!
7 reviews
August 14, 2019
And I Thought the First Book Was Great!

When I read the first book, The Tiger Catcher, I immediately categorized it with the great, classic time travel love stories. Now I realize that there is something else going on here as well. A Beggar's Kingdom clearly places this saga as one of the most amazing and epic book series I have ever read. There's more love story. More adventure. And of course more glimpses into the past. I don't want to say anything else that might be a spoiler, but the author is also building toward something--and going deeper into the metaphysics of time travel...and life...and love. I was truly blown away by this one and absolutely can't wait for the third book.
Profile Image for Kerry Cashman.
126 reviews2 followers
September 25, 2019
No one could possibly write this book but Paullina Simons. She sends us on a journey back in time and gives us a history lesson along with magic, love, friendship and a whole cast of new people Julian meets in his time travel back through the centuries to find his greatest love. Truly an epic saga, could not put this one down...again. It did drag on for a while in the second half of the book, but all came together to give us a heart pumping ending. Lot's of back story about friendship which was beautifully written and heartfelt. Julian...we're all on your side and hoping for that reunion and saving of the love you so crave in the final book of this trilogy.
Profile Image for Sarah.
510 reviews17 followers
September 27, 2019
This is the second instalment of the End of Forever trilogy. It plunges straight into the story with no recap, so if you haven't read the first, you may find yourself wondering what is going on. Also, just a small annoying point, in 1775 there is no way you would be able to buy ready-to-wear clothing from a store. It wasn't invented until the late 19th century! These observations aside, it was still a really good read and I'm looking forward to the next, especially as it ended on a cliffhanger...
Profile Image for Tez .
184 reviews
October 24, 2019

“You are the source of all my joy and all my misery”

A Beggars Kingdom is the second novel in the End of Forever saga. It continues the relationship between Julian and Josephine and his persistent efforts to go back in time; time and time again to be with her.
Each time he gets close with her, fate intervenes and death ultimately wins.

A very long story, some parts I found riverting and other parts slow, but overall an interesting read.
A
Looking forward to reading the final book in this series.
99 reviews
September 9, 2019
Although the original Josephine was not my favorite character and the love story with her and Julian happened way too fast, I feel this book not only redeems the love story, it made me truly care about Julian. When Ashton died, I almost felt the depth of his pain. It was very clever of Paullina not to divulge that storyline right away. I have read all of Paullina's books and can't wait for the 3rd installment of The End of Forever.
224 reviews1 follower
September 9, 2019
Just not sure ... but I've now read the first two and want to read the third to see what happens so can't be so bad.
Interestingly, the last part of this is set in Invercargill, I'm not sure whether my history knowledge isn't so great (definitely a possibility), but I felt like she made 1911 in NZ a lot more backward than it actually was.
... and this took me about two weeks to read, it was slow going - never good when it comes to whether I really enjoy a book or not!
Displaying 1 - 30 of 70 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.