Start by marking “A Beggar's Kingdom (End of Forever, #2)” as Want to Read:
A Beggar's Kingdom (End of Forever, #2)

A Beggar's Kingdom

(End of Forever #2)

Love was just the beginning ... The second novel in Paullina Simons' stunning End of Forever saga continues the heartbreaking story of Julian and Josephine, and a love that spans lifetimes.

Sometimes a second chance is your only hope.

Is there a fate beyond the fates? Julian has failed Josephine once. Despite grave danger and impossible odds, he is determined to do the
Published July 23rd 2019

To ask other readers questions about A Beggar's Kingdom, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Jaselle Van Gestel-Bush
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of A Beggar's Kingdom (End of Forever, #2)
AtenRa
THIS BOOK PIERCED RIGHT THROUGH MY CHEST, TOOK MY HEART OUT AND SLOWLY CRUSHED IT UNDER ITS BOOT.
WHY BOOK??

Julian’s and Josephine’s love story achieves epic proportions in book 2, as Julian time travels 4 times (yes, 4) in different periods starting from 1600s+ to early 1900s.

I cannot write a proper review without including spoilers, so for those of you who haven’t read book 2, steer clear.
Also, just a warning: this review is going to be super long because I am going to comment on each time
Ellen ✦ Book Bellas ✦
"To be on the meridian, in the cave, on the river, was life. The rest was just waiting."

Truly epic!! A series that travels through time walks a very fine line, but Paullina Simons has outdone herself in the second book in the 'End of Forever' saga. Julian and Josephine are soul mates thought all eternity, and Julian literally risks his life over and over again to find his one true love in her many incarnations. This series is completely spellbinding! The amount of detail in this book is
Kathy
Aug 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Following on from The Tiger Catcher, A Beggar’s Kingdom is where we continue on with the love story of Julian & Josephine. Being an epic time travel, there is a lot to this book where we get to travel to 5 different historical periods. The last two got a little repetitive for me (which is why it seemed to take so long for me to read this book I think and why I’m dropping a star), but all in all I am invested in the story and look forward to the final book coming out in November. I’m still ...more
Theresa Smith
Dec 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Earlier this year I read The Tiger Catcher, book one in a new series by Paullina Simons which she calls, the End of Forever saga. A Beggar’s Kingdom is book two, and what an extraordinary ride it is! Granted, it’s very long, far more than its predecessor, and more than two hundred pages chunkier than its follow up. There were a few times, particularly in the middle, where I began to feel the weight of this length, but before I knew it, Paullina had done it again: kept me on my toes and ...more
Shruti Ramanujam
Aug 17, 2019 rated it liked it
I'll be very honest with you--I absolutely detest insta love. It was one of the main reasons why I didn't like the first book much, despite it having a dynamite time travel romance.

This book, however, was a lot better than the first, with lyrical prose, more depth to the main characters, and an even more intriguing plot.

Read the entire review on This is Lit.
Jewel
Even better than the first book in the trilogy. Paullina Simons has never written a book I didn't like, but this is one of her best. Watching Julian travel through time again and again to save the life of his love, the unlikable, dramatic, and driven Josephine is so romantic. I can't wait for the last book.
Kate
Jul 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Almost done with this one and I don't want it to end!! I absolutely love it, one of this author's best works
Angelique Simonsen
Nov 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Im impressed as this is better than the first one! Now I'm excited to read the third and see where Mia and Justin end up
Amanda - Mrs B's Book Reviews
Dec 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-books
*https://mrsbbookreviews.wordpress.com
A Beggar’s Kingdom is the second novel in a groundbreaking three part series, penned by Paullina Simons. It is the story of a love like no other, devotion, survival, pain and heartbreak. It covers time, space and history, taking the reader on an unforgettable journey into the unknown. A Beggar’s Kingdom truly encapsulates the term a ‘grand saga’ and it will be sure to enthrall fans of the series.

A Beggar’s Kingdom follows the unique love story of Julian and
Jody
Dec 23, 2019 rated it liked it
It sounds like this should be an instant success. Guy falls in love and keeps risking his life, travelling back through time to spend just 49 days with his true love. Each time she is a different reincarnation ( but still her), and honestly I should love this so much. However - Josephine, is just unlikeable. I can't see why he loves her so much. To me, his soul mate is his best friend, Ashton, and maybe this is where the series is going.

In spite of my misgivings, I have to read the next book in
Shelly Record
Sep 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love Paullina Simons sagas. Her details and the depths of her characters place her head and shoulders above her peers.
Ilana
Nov 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
Amazing book! And I thought nothing can get close to the 'bronze horseman' trilogy... These first two books get pretty close. I am both eager and scared to read the last book..
Danielle Stacey
Oct 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars! I really enjoyed this!
Dijana
"...you are the source of all my joy - and all my misery. Bliss and sorrow are the headwaters of the brief eternity I spend with you."

Ever since I read The Bronze Horseman I have been reading so much for years looking for a book that will affect me as much as The Bronze Horseman does. I have finally found it. This is it. It is again written by my favorite Paullina Simons, no wonder there. This End of Forever series has awoken in me the same feelings I felt while reading TBH. The angst, the pain,
Jackie
Nov 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
I reluctantly borrowed this book from the library after I was left feeling very disappointed with the first book in this series. I wasn't relating with the characters and I'm not usually into the time travel stories. But I do love Paullina Simons so I took the chance to have her change my mind about Julian and Josephine, and I'm so glad I did. This book pulled at all my emotions and had me feeling joy, sorrow, disbelief, happiness, speechless, and some in great extremes. Despite not being a time ...more
Kerry Cashman
Sep 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
No one could possibly write this book but Paullina Simons. She sends us on a journey back in time and gives us a history lesson along with magic, love, friendship and a whole cast of new people Julian meets in his time travel back through the centuries to find his greatest love. Truly an epic saga, could not put this one down...again. It did drag on for a while in the second half of the book, but all came together to give us a heart pumping ending. Lot's of back story about friendship which was ...more
CasNewby
Aug 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
And I Thought the First Book Was Great!

When I read the first book, The Tiger Catcher, I immediately categorized it with the great, classic time travel love stories. Now I realize that there is something else going on here as well. A Beggar's Kingdom clearly places this saga as one of the most amazing and epic book series I have ever read. There's more love story. More adventure. And of course more glimpses into the past. I don't want to say anything else that might be a spoiler, but the author
Teresa
Oct 23, 2019 rated it liked it

“You are the source of all my joy and all my misery”

A Beggars Kingdom is the second novel in the End of Forever saga. It continues the relationship between Julian and Josephine and his persistent efforts to go back in time; time and time again to be with her.
Each time he gets close with her, fate intervenes and death ultimately wins.

A very long story, some parts I found riverting and other parts slow, but overall an interesting read.
A
Looking forward to reading the final book in this
Sep 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-books
This is the second instalment of the End of Forever trilogy. It plunges straight into the story with no recap, so if you haven't read the first, you may find yourself wondering what is going on. Also, just a small annoying point, in 1775 there is no way you would be able to buy ready-to-wear clothing from a store. It wasn't invented until the late 19th century! These observations aside, it was still a really good read and I'm looking forward to the next, especially as it ended on a ...more
Ivy
Sep 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Lisa
Sep 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019-read
Just not sure ... but I've now read the first two and want to read the third to see what happens so can't be so bad.
Interestingly, the last part of this is set in Invercargill, I'm not sure whether my history knowledge isn't so great (definitely a possibility), but I felt like she made 1911 in NZ a lot more backward than it actually was.
... and this took me about two weeks to read, it was slow going - never good when it comes to whether I really enjoy a book or not!
Rachel
Aug 31, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really wanted to rate this higher however at 600 pages it was just too long. The second installment in the End of Forever story lost momentum. There were parts where I was fixated and parts that dragged that could've been cut. Hopefully the third book redeems itself as I found the first installment so riveting.
Belinda Vidal
Oct 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
As the second book in the trilogy, this book is better than the first. I didn't really like the characters in the first book but then I saw this at the library and thought I'd give it a go. The second is more interesting and engaging compared to The Tiger Catcher. I'll go on to read the third to see how it ends.
Kate Page
Aug 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. Continuing on the story of Julian and Josephine. I loved the start of this saga in The Tiger Catcher but I definitely loved this one more. I was straight into the story and adventure. There were so many moments where I felt Julian’s sadness, frustration and undying love. I don’t know how I’m going to wait till November for the next installment. I am hooked on this love story!
Diane
Oct 27, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2019
So tricky to rate this book as I want to give parts of it 5 stars and other parts 1 star. I do think it’s not like her previous books, some things in the book I found REALLY annoying. Will I be reading the next book? Yes, but reluctantly.
Debbie
Dec 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Following from the first book, the love story continues between Julien and Josephine. This is again a easy summer read and a epic love story which includes time travel. I also think it’s a the lives we live and the people that are part of them. Can’t wait to read the final book.
Amy Vavolizza-Runge
Sep 06, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5
Liked this one better than 1st. Ends with a major cliffhanger though. His new Mia, Shea, jumps in the frozen ocean (after he defends his life) and he jumps to save her. Are they doomed to the same fate as the last Mia’s reincarnated 4 other times???
Nelly Ridland
Aug 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow I have loved Paulina Simons since Tully and never been disappointed, this latest series “the tiger catcher” encompasses everything that hooked me with The Bronze Horseman” loved a Beggars Kingdom even more !!
Maree Van praagh
Aug 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good story

Sometimes a bit repetitive but good story
Gets interesting in parts, and want to read the last of the series
Tanya Birman
Dec 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Captivating but feels a bit too long and dragging, especially in the last part (last adventure). Still the ending makes me want to read the last book right away!

• The Model Wife
  • White Horses
  • The Diamond Hunter
  • The Wife and the Widow
  • The Ex Girlfriend
  • Suitcase of Dreams (The Girl from Munich #2)
  • The Guardian of Lies
  • Six Minutes
  • Khaki Town
  • Where the Dead Go
  • The Invitation
  • Postscript (P.S. I Love You, #2)
  • Tidelands (The Fairmile #1)
Paullina Simons was born in Leningrad, USSR, in 1963. At the age of ten her family immigrated to the United States. Growing up in Russia Paullina dreamt of someday becoming a writer. Her dream was put on hold as she learned English and overcame the shock of a new culture.

After graduating from university and after various jobs including working as a financial journalist and as a translator

End of Forever (3 books)
  • The Tiger Catcher (End of Forever, #1)
  • Inexpressible Island (End of Forever, #3)