Start by marking “Ten Little Astronauts” as Want to Read:
Ten Little Astronauts

Ten Little Astronauts

The U.N. Owen is adrift in interstellar space. With no lights, no life support, no help for ten trillion miles, it seems as though things can't get any worse. Then, they find a body.

Ten astronauts are woken from suspended animation to deal with a crisis on board their ship.

Selected from a crew of thousands, none of them knows any of the others: all they know is that one of
Published December 13th 2018 by Unbound Digital

To ask other readers questions about Ten Little Astronauts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ten Little Astronauts

Start your review of Ten Little Astronauts
M.R. Graham
Oct 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, sci-fi
That was a very quick read, in part because of its length, but mostly for the incredibly high suspense throughout. The science was very interesting without becoming pedantic, and it did maintain a very Christie feel despite the setting.
Very nicely done, Damon. That ending, though... I'm mad at you.
3 no 7
Oct 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

“Ten Little Astronauts” by Damon Wakes is a reboot of the classic “Then There Were None” by Agatha Christie.
The place is space, outer space that is. Crewmembers aboard a ship in deep space awake to an alarm, knowing that something is wrong, terribly wrong. In the case of an “emergency,” ten were to be defrosted to correct any unexpected situations, but now there are eleven awake. Why? Who does not belong? In reality, there are not eleven, because someone is dead.
Everything is dangerous on boar
Nina
That was quite a ride~! Read the rest of this novella in one sitting, because I couldn't stop. Everybody was suspect. And in some ways, everybody did have a hand in the slaughter, whether they were aware of it or not. The reason behind the real culprit's actions was shocking, but also really sad. It makes me hope that the last one standing will make a better decision and choose to continue than to abort this mission. Because continuing means that there will be bigger challenges ahead, and I will ...more
Di Paterson
Oct 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this novella. I haven't read the Agatha Christie novel it's based upon (but I intend to), so I missed many of the parallels that Damon used in his version. But his explanations and the insight into his research was fascinating.

Being a novella, there was not much in the way of character development, although there is, ultimately, some social commentary, which I found to be valid; maybe because it echoes my own sentiments.

The futuristic setting for the novella was realistic and the plot
Selena
Oct 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Murder mystery in space isn’t something you’d normally believe would work, but somehow the author manages it! Great description keeps the tension going throughout, twists and turns galore. For me there was a lot of characters to keep track of where they were and what they were doing. The author did a good job at endearing you to a couple of characters, but the novella length meant you didn’t know them well enough to be shocked at their death, so as you had no investment in the characters you did ...more
Maria Rivas-mc
Oct 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
You’re trapped on a crippled spaceship as fellow emergency team members are picked off one by one. You’re running out of time to discover the murderer and repair the ship. This novella, which takes its general theme from Agatha Christie’s ‘And Then There Were None’, is mystery, action, and (for me) horror wrapped in a sci fi package. While the murderer is revealed through a process of elimination, there is a twist and a choice to be made at the end. My thanks to Pigeonhole for the opportunity to ...more
Barbara
Dec 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I read this book through The Pigeonhole. If you don’t want anything heavy to read and would like a novel that engages your curiosity as to ‘who done it’, this is the book for you.
Angela
May 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
A novella retelling of Agatha Christie's And Then There Were None, set aboard a spaceship headed for a distant planet.

Blair, an engineer, is one of 4000 people cryogenically frozen on a ship hurtling through space. He along with nine other people are awoken when the ship detects something that needs their attention. When they find a person who has clearly been murdered, they all soon realize that one of them must have done it.

It's bad enough that the ship is partially crippled, but now these cre
Sarah Brousseau
Nov 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Book 78/55: Ten Little Astronauts by Damon L. Wakes. Reading the foreword, I realized this was a book published and accomplished through Unbound, a website I've recently found to support another fellow author to get her own book published! The whole premise of the book intrigued me when I first bought it and I had to give it a go on this Friday night. A vibe similar to Agatha Christie's And Then There Were None (a personal absolute favorite!) and A Space Odyssey (HAL!), a creepy sci-fi mystery t ...more
Oli Jacobs
Mar 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A nice, tight little mystery inspired by Agatha Christie’s And Then There Were None (with the title offering a nod to Christie’s original title...), Ten Little Astronauts while short, is a taut, well paced read that will grip you from the very start. Researched to within an inch of actual space engineering, the whole tale is a very cinematic adventure that in a short space of time engages you with its characters, making their ends mean more than your average kill-a-thon.

With this, Damon L Wakes
G. Deyke
Mar 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
(Disclaimer: I have internet-known Damon L. Wakes for years, since well before he even wrote this book. Also I supported it while it was crowdfunding, which makes for another potential layer of bias.)

There are two ways to read this book: on its own, or in comparison with Agatha Christie's And Then There Were None (which I read only after reading Ten Little Astronauts). There are some things it does better than And Then There Were None; there are some it does worse. Notably, while it's billed as
Jane
May 08, 2019 rated it liked it
A space travel take on Agatha Christie's 'Ten Little Indians'. It was well done but the ending annoyed me.
Within this e book are also two short stories which are very good but are both bit weird but enjoyable.
Joseph J Clark
Dec 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Like a cross between 2001: A Space Oddysey and a game of Werewolf.

Unfortunately I'm not much of a fan of Werewolf, but the story here moves along at a decent clip with a generous serving of suspense and mystery.
Sonja Charters
Nov 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Interesting little who-done-it in the style of "and then there was one"
Set in space, it was an odd one for me. Not my usual choice of book although the genre is about right.
Even though only a short novella it took me a little while to get into and invest in but this may have just been circumstances rather than the book itself.
Still, the storyline was interesting and kept you guessing right until the end.
A bit more suspense than outright spooky but still a good little read.
Rachel Bridgeman
Nov 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
Read this novella courtesy of The Pigeonhole, it was a quick space romp via Agatha Christie's 'And then there were none'. It was clever, sharp and with cheeky nods to the original, I would definitely recommend reading this!
Erica Hough
Much better written than expected. Read on The Pigeonhole app.
Angie Rhodes
Oct 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Different. and quirky
Gail Wylde
Oct 15, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pigeonhole
This is a quite short and quirky tale that is very much in the style of Agatha Christie but of the future.
Liz Deakin
Nov 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great novella, loosely based on Agatha Christie’s ‘And Then There Were None’ but in space! Very fast paced and enjoyable, I couldn’t wait to find out whodunit!!
Kevin Bragg
Feb 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Single Song Soundtrack for Ten Little Astronauts: “Maxwell's Silver Hammer” by The Beatles

This is another book that I received from Unbound. The author, Damon Wakes, pitched the novel as an Agatha Christie-style murder mystery set on a spacecraft a trillion miles from Earth. I was immediately hooked and supported the project without hesitation.

Ten Little Astronauts is set on the Owen, a large space-faring craft whose purpose is to ferry thousands of people to a colony world light years away from
WindySilver
Apr 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
As someone who has never read Agatha Christie's And then there were none, I could only expect that there was a murderer and that there were going to be bodies. And those expectations sure were met!

The book's main story, Ten Little Astronauts, kept me holding my breath as I read, unable to tell who was the murderer out of the group even when it grew smaller and smaller. While I usually am not that much of a fan of intense murder mysteries (it might've been the immersion that made this feel so int
Josie Jaffrey
Oct 21, 2019 rated it it was ok
It was okay. The author’s note says this is a book intended to see whether you can condense a murder mystery like Agatha Christie’s ‘And Then There Was One’ into a much shorter story, and I think this book proves that you can’t, or at least I don’t think the author of this book did so successfully.
At under 70 pages, it is definitely too short. I didn’t understand what was going on half the time because this is hard SF, and there wasn’t enough detail. I also felt nothing for the characters, who I
Lisa Haycocks
Apr 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. Full of tension. When I read it I had never read Agatha Christie's book - And Then There Were None ( aka Ten Little N****r Boys, or Ten Little Indians) that this is a space futuristic parody of without being a direct copy. After I finished Ten Little Astronauts I went and read the Agatha Christie book, and I was gobsmacked. Daman's book is so well done !! Loved it, and so cleverly written.
Charles Northey
Jess
A lot shorter than I expected, but a fun sci-fi mystery inspired by Agatha Christie! Personally I could have done with getting to know the characters a little more, I like to be worried about whether or not characters are going to make it when they're in life-threatening situations, but it was an entertaining, quick read and I'm looking forward to seeing what else Damon brings out in future.
Amanda
Dec 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
With a setting reminiscent of Agatha Christie, Ten Little Astronauts gives us a cast of characters isolated on a spaceship getting picked off by a murderer. It keeps up the pace from the beginning and I flew through it. It's a good time, and as an aside, I thought the chapters counting backwards was a nice touch.
Winston Sorfleet
May 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent short read; this and the companion bonus novella reminded me of the short stories of the golden age of SF. The author's writing style reminded me of fond memories of reading Ace double novels.
Michael Ritchie
Mar 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Interesting update of a classic, followed up with an intriguing and fun story that is - frankly - based on a pun.
Lucy
Mar 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
The bonus short story was better then the titular one, but both were enjoyable.
Alexandra Turney
Apr 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: uk
Review to follow...

• Odette
  • Domini Mortum
  • Before I Find You: Are you being followed?
  • The Split
  • If I Can’t Have You
  • 55
  • Bitter Leaves
  • Apple Island Wife: Slow Living In Tasmania
  • Execution (Giordano Bruno, #6)
  • La Fille de Vercingétorix (Astérix, #38)
  • Missy - Series Two
Damon L. Wakes was born in 1991 and began to write a few years later. He holds an MA in Creative and Critical Writing from the University of Winchester, and a BA in English Literature from the University of Reading.

Every year since 2012, Damon has produced one work of flash fiction each and every day during the month of July. He usually writes humour and horror, occasionally at the same time. Tack