Start by marking “Space Struck” as Want to Read:
Space Struck

Space Struck

Consider this glowing debut from Paige Lewis a menagerie of near-extinction. Space Struck explores the wonders and cruelties occurring within the realms of nature, science, and religion, with the acuity of a sage, the deftness of a hunter, and a hilarious sensibility for the absurd. The universe is seen as an endless arrow “. . . and it asks only one question: How dare you?” ...more
Paperback
Published October 8th 2019 by Sarabande Books

To ask other readers questions about Space Struck, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Space Struck

Start your review of Space Struck
Basia
Oct 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If Space Struck is a house with so many rooms, every poem is a room lined with tender peculiarity. Plush and weird and curious. Earthly and superlunary. Space for the aching, space for the saints even when you least expect them, space to marvel, space to wonder. Space for all kinds of creatures, like and unlike you and me. Every poem is a room with a worthwhile view here. I'm so glad to have been invited inside.
Dominic
Oct 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
I was emotionally struck over and over (most often with satisfied smiles) by Paige Lewis’ debut collection of poetry. The voices of these poems are tender and cheeky and gloriously absurd, and I still keep finding places to hide in these poems. This is my way of saying there is a lot of room to make these poems what you want them to be, and for as many times as you want to come back to them.

The speakers, sometimes over the course of a single poem, will remind me of myself at one turn
David Jordan
Oct 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I follow the author on Twitter and pre-ordered the book based on their announcement and a stellar review in Poetry magazine. After waiting for several weeks for it to be released and delivered, I was slightly concerned that I might be justifiably disappointed when the collection fell short of my much too lofty expectations.
I shouldn’t have worried. This book is even better than I hoped it would be. Paige Lewis is a phenomenal talent and these poems are among the best I’ve read in a long time. I
Barton Smock
Oct 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If, instead of a far creature, I imagine here an empty cage, then perhaps I’ve been blessed by revelation as originally intended, and tended to, in and by the baptismal poems of Paige Lewis as visible from their Space Struck, a work of thisness and anti-thatness. In a verse so propulsive that the forms therein dance in the before and after of being re-shadowed, Lewis makes of the beyond a proximity where privacy enters the pocket as a rescued oyster and emerges secretly as a smallness freed from ...more
Tim Heerdink
Nov 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
"Each poem another journey into the pondering imagination of Paige Lewis, a wonderful crafter of images drawn from space into existence. They look up and find new worlds, new lives for us to experience. Somewhere in the black that surrounds this dimension lies an alternate reality. One filled with dreams that stare back at you if the timing and lighting is right."

- Tim Heerdink, author of The Human Remains and Red Flag and Other Poems
Oct 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
so fucking good

Jerome Blanco
Oct 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Not sure that I've enjoyed a poetry collection more (and "enjoy" is almost certainly too weak a word). 6 stars if I could. This book is wonderful.
Matthew
Nov 02, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5
André Habet
Nov 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: december-2019
"I admit I often tell you
About the cruelties of others to stifle
The growling in my own troubled core."

(From 'Pavlov was the son of a priest')
Corinne
Nov 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow!!!! Wow! Beautiful! Stunning! Paige Lewis is truly one to keep an eye on.
Steven Wise

• Hard Damage
  • In the Dream House
  • Calling a Wolf a Wolf
  • Magical Negro
  • Maus: Un survivant raconte, tome 1: Mon père saigne l'histoire (Maus #1)
  • Be Recorder: Poems
  • The Carrying: Poems
  • Citizen Illegal
  • An American Sunrise: Poems
  • The Octopus Museum: Poems
  • feeld
  • Brute: Poems
  • Library of Small Catastrophes
Paige Lewis is the author of Space Struck (Sarabande Books, 2019). Their poems have appeared in Poetry, American Poetry Review, Ploughshares, Best New Poets 2017, Gulf Coast, The Massachusetts Review, The Georgia Review, The Iowa Review, Poetry Northwest, Ninth Letter, and elsewhere. Paige currently lives and teaches in Indiana.