Start by marking “The Princess and the Peacock (Birds of Fae, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Princess and the Peacock (Birds of Fae, #1)

The Princess and the Peacock

(Birds of Fae)

ebook
Published January 25th 2019

To ask other readers questions about The Princess and the Peacock, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Princess and the Peacock

Dee/ bookworm
Jan 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Princess and the Peacock by C.S. Johnson was a remarkable book. While short, you get to know and care about the characters, and not just the main characters. It has a great story, and although parts are familiar, the story line, characters and message are unique. It is a great look at how looks are only skin deep and true worth is worth looking for and waiting for. Wonderful read!!

I was given an advanced copy of this novel and this is my honest review.
J.L. Mbewe
Jan 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
I do not usually sign up to review a book, but I couldn't resist. I mean, the book has a peacock! And a princess! And fae!

I didn't realize the narrative would be in first person present tense. So I was backpedaling a little to adjust for that. I am not a fan of first person present tense, but the author did well with the style so I was soon swept up into the story.

We begin with Kaipo, a young man climbing to the top of the Forbidden Mountain. A feat that many have died from or failed, and not wi
Bryn
Dec 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Sniff ... that was beautiful. Perfect and beautiful.
H.S.J. Williams
Jan 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Really unique and well-written short story....a taste of a much larger world. I don’t usually read first person but this was excellent, and I really appreciated the male POV. For me, the brotherly love in this story took my interest rather than the romance. ‘Twas very feely.

I’d warn sensitive readers for some traumatic backstory revolving around suicide. Also an evil man attacks a girl, though he is stopped.
Laura A. Grace
Jan 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this novella from C.S. Johnson!

Kaipo was a great main character to cheer for, especially seeing him grow in more ways than one as the story progressed. (His relationship with Rahj was indeed special and one of my favorite parts.) The fae aspect was perfect and the POV from a peacock was extremely interesting. (It creates some interesting moments. And heartfelt ones too if I’m honest.)

From the characters to the priceless message of true beauty, this was an engaging and creative tale that
Angie ~aka Reading Machine~
I found that The Princess and the Peacock were reminiscent of Beauty and the Beast. Beauty is found within than without. Kaipo wants to look beautiful like his love Princess Mele. He and his brother Rahj climb the mountain to Queen Jaya to be granted a wish. Meeting Queen Jaya the Fae Queen nothing goes as planned or expected. Kaipo becomes a peacock while Rahj takes care of him. Can Kaipo win the Princess Mele's love? Will Kaipo remain a peacock? Your answers await you in The Princess and the P ...more
H.L. Burke
Jan 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Entertaining original fairy tale. The character is understandably wounded and flawed, and honestly it's kind of just fun to imagine him being a peacock for the whole book, relating in peacockian ways.
Kara
Dec 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
It feels like you can't go wrong with this author even with a title like this one. Johnson aptly describes in an impressive description what it's like for Kaipo to climb this impossible mountain, with his "brother" in tow. After his wish gets distorted and the peacock appears, it was weird at first, but again, Johnson writes the experience SO ACCURATELY that the reader forgets any weirdness that happens later.

I thought Princess Mele would either be unworthy of what Kaipo endures to win her hear
J Aislynn d'Merricksson
Mar 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
‘The first time I fell in love with Princess Mele was when I saw her smile, and I fell in love with her the second time the moment I heard her sing.

Two memories burn within Kaipo's heart -- the death of his mother, which left him alone to die, and the arrival of Princess Mele, which gave him a new reason to live. Together with his adopted brother, Kaipo seeks out Jaya, the Fae Queen who lives on the Forbidden Mountain, in order to gain the beauty he requires to win Mele's heart. But Jaya has oth
Didi Oviatt
Mar 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
I have a soft spot for classic fairytale remakes, so this one grabbed my interest right out the gate... I mean, a peacock?!?! How could this not spark some curiosity?! There is so much more dynamics than a simple 'kissed by a princess to change the frog to a prince' type story, the twists and angles are quite unique and very captivating. It's a short read, easily devoured in one sitting, but that doesn't mean it skimps on anything important. The characters and setting is well developed, and ther ...more
Darque  Dreamer
Mar 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
“Beauty can be given as easily as a smile, riches with a wave of my hand. But there are deeper forms of magic, and there is a great difference between the beauty that comes from magic and the beauty that is shaped inside the heart.”

The Princess and the Peacock was such an adorable read! It was the epitome of faerie tales! I absolutely adored it and I cannot wait for more in the series!

The tale reminded me a little of The Frog Prince and The Swan Princess. It had a similar moral about what’s on t
Christina Morley
Jan 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
C.S. Johnson has written a character-driven fairytale romance and put her own spin on it. It's a first person narrative. The character is a terribly scarred young man named Kaipo. His scars have caused society to shun him. He has an adopted brother, named Rahj, who is shunned for other reasons. Kaipo wants to be made beautiful, so that he can have a chance at winning the heart of Princess Mele. Kaipo, along with the help of Rahj, sets out to win her hand.

C.S. Johnson's fairytale doesn't begin wi
Leslie Sanchez
Feb 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a very sweet and clean fable with wonderful characters. Be careful what you wish for...you just may get it. I know Kaipo and Mele are the main characters. but my very favorite character is , Rahj. Kaipo struck me as rash and selfish as he made the trek up the mountain to visit Jaya, the fae queen. His adopted brother, Rahj, was a happy and thankful young man. The abuse he suffered before being saved by Kaipo's father could have made him a very bitter and mean person, but he was so kind, ...more
Anne Perreault
Jan 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I don't generally read 'fantasy' genres and when I was given this book, I was hesitant. I don't know why. I mean, a C.S. Johnson book usually means a good story, memorable characters. And yes. She's delivered with this one again. She won me to her side of the genre with an exciting new world and a sweet love story to boot. Great story. I highly recommend this book to all you fantasy readers and those of us who generally stay in our own world. This is my honest opinion.
Rebecca
Jan 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Such a terrific quick read...love and loss and joy and pain - all mixed in together with an interesting perspective on what beauty is and is not. Please do be aware there is suffering and sadness (and a vividly rendered villain) intertwined with hope and rejoicing. I truly enjoyed reading this and highly recommend it.

It was my pleasure to receive this ARC and give my honest review.
Amy
Jan 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Similar to a fairytale you may have read before. Magic, beautiful birds and a powerful message.

Read my full review on my blog by clicking here!

I liked the story and I am interested to read the next book in this new Fae series.
Gay Deputee
Jan 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Very enjoyable book, a twist for a love story with a happy ending. I love Ms. Johnson's style of writing, the unoffensive language and story. It is refreshing to read something without all the cuss words and steamy sex scenes. The characters are lovable and feel almost like friends.
Annie Lima
Jan 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book. It isn't your typical fantasy romance. I like that the setting is not reminiscent of medieval Europe, but something closer to Hawaii. The characters are interesting and believable, and the plot resolves nicely. I'd like to visit them again in another book and see what happens to them.
Rebecca Brice
Jan 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
A short sweet fairy tale. A great story with a message that everyone can learn from. Beauty is not always just on the outside, but what we have on the inside, who we are as a person.
Thanks :)
Jackie
Feb 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another great by a superb writer. This proves to become the beginning of another exciting series.
William Vegvari
Jan 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a great read. Something different and keeps your eyes glued to the pages till the end.
C.S. Johnson
Dec 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
It's the first book in my standalone novels series, featuring birds and fae magic, all in shorter fairy tale form.

Kaipo has been scarred by the death of his mother, both literally and internally. After her suicide, Kaipo is content to die -- until he meets Princess Mele, the young princess of Maluhia. When her father decrees it is time for her to marry, Kaipo wants to find a way to win her heart. Knowing his limitations, he and his adopted brother Rahj head up the Forbidden Mountain, where the
Katie
Dec 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Without giving away any spoilers - this book brings to mind innocent love and a story that grabs me in a way that books and movies from "back in the day" used to do! I love all works by CS Johnson, and this book is better than the rest for sure!! All her books just flow and make you want to read it from start to finish without a break and leaves you itching for her next book too!
Barbara
Feb 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A nice, family-friendly (with parental discretion) fable that possibly could be read in a couple hours, depending on how many side discussions go on. It was two weeks of bedtime reading for me thanks to a friend who gave me the book.
Marlene
Dec 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
I love how the story explores the idea of real beauty vs preserved beauty. Sweet love story
Christine Jordan
Feb 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Jessica Bronder
Mar 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Kaipo has fallen in love with Princess Mele’s beauty and her singing. But he has scars from trying to save his mother from a fire and is considered an outcast. Kaipo and his brother, Rahj climb the Forbidden Mountain to get a wish from the Fae Queen Jaya. But Kaipo is selfish and pushes the Fae Queen who turns him into a peacock. His only hope at being changed back into himself is Mele.

This is a great little fairy tale. It has a theme about inner beauty and helping others similar to other fairyt
Jessica Rachow
Mar 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-read-2019
C.S. Johnson is a fabulous writer and I have not yet read a book by her that I didn’t absolutely love. Fairytale retellings can be so fun if done properly, and it is no surprise that C.S. Johnson did this one right.

This novella was done the way a novella should be. The characters were well developed, relatable and dynamic in a short amount of words. The plot was perfectly packed to keep me invested in the world. I was highly impressed with this one.

I can’t wait to see where this series goes. If
C.O. Bonham
Mar 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Princess and the Peacock, by C. S. Johnson is to my knowledge an original fairytale. Though it is similar to the frog prince.

A young man seeks a fairy wish to make him beautiful enough for a princess. You may have guessed the rest.

This was an entertaining and quick read. A unique look into the meaning of true beauty and worth.

*I was given a free copy of this book for the purpose of leaving and honest review.*
Pris
Jan 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, favorites
The Princess and The Peacock is the first book that I've read by C.S. Johnson but it definitely won't be my last. I absolutely enjoyed following Kaipo's quest to find true beauty, all in hopes of ultimately winning Princess Mele's heart. This story is full of adventures, nuggets of wisdom, and a sweet romance that will satisfy a variety of readers. If that's not enough, the author has woven into the book a wonderful set of side characters who make this story the enjoyable ride it is (I adored Ra ...more
C. S. Johnson is the award-winning, genre-hopping author of several novels, including young adult sci-fi and fantasy adventures such as the Starlight Chronicles series, the Once Upon a Princess saga, and the Divine Space Pirates trilogy. With a gift for sarcasm and an apologetic heart, she currently lives in Atlanta with her family. Find out more at http://www.csjohnson.me.