Start by marking “A Touch of Darkness (Hades & Persephone, #1)” as Want to Read:
A Touch of Darkness (Hades & Persephone, #1)

A Touch of Darkness

(Hades & Persephone #1)

Hades, God of the Dead, has built a gambling empire in the mortal world and his favorite bets are rumored to be impossible.

After a chance encoun
Published May 25th 2019

Start your review of A Touch of Darkness (Hades & Persephone, #1)
jessica
Jul 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
uh oh. someone please admit me into rehab because i am A D D I C T E D.

i started this last night, just wanting to read a couple of chapters before bed. and the next thing i knew, it was 2.30am and my eyes were glued to each page. i swear this book is a drug, with each chapter feeling like taking hit. i just couldnt put it down.

this is far from perfect. the writing is nothing too special and the world building is a little lacking, but goodness me. this story is exactly what i needed. fellow moo
Arini
Jul 25, 2020 rated it liked it
Readers are bound to get hyped because of the Hades & Persephone reference, and had the cover not been updated, it would lead to false expectations. Hence, you should be informed that this book is a smutty urban fantasy loose retelling of the King and Queen of Hell. In other words, it’s the perfect escape for a guilty pleasure read should you ever need one. I mean, who doesn’t?

Hades was delicious. It’s Persephone I had a problem with, or rather this version of Persephone. She was, um, annoying.
Hailee
May 04, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
(for now this is a 3.5 rounded down) i just want to make it clear that i really enjoyed this!!! i read it very quickly and found myself laughing out loud alongside the characters at certain points. even though some aspects were very cliche, i felt that it worked with the story and was still extremely enjoyable. however, i wish there were more in depth descriptions of the appearances of the characters and more elaboration on some of the side characters. although i liked reading this quite a bit, ...more
Jessi ♥️ H. Vojsk
May 25, 2020 rated it it was ok

”They say Hades is protective of his realm, and while that is true, it isn’t about power.
He cares for his people, protects them, and he takes it personally if anyone is harmed.
If you belong to him, he will tear the world apart to save you.”

Story 🌟🌟
-A Hades and Persephone retelling with a modern touch

While reading the book I was
- really bored
- and sad because I love Persephone and Hades story but this isn’t what i expected.
- realized that I definitely had too high expectations, sh*t

Character
bee  ˘͈ᵕ˘͈
four point five stars ∗ god(s) i love greek mythology retellings.

hades and persephone have easily been some of my favorite figures when it comes to greek mythology, pretty much ever since i first read ‘percy jackson’ in the fourth grade and then took it upon myself to read and learn almost everything i could surrounding the mythology. i know there are a lot of ‘sources’ claiming hades to have kidnapped her and makes their relationship seem toxic, but there are others that say persephone knew wha
Anna lost in stories *A*
Jul 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: paranormal
when I finished this one, my gut wanted to give it 5 stars… but logic prevailed ;) don't get me wrong, there were definitely some 5 stars worthy moments… for sure some that left me all hot and bothered… *fans myself* ;) and I did inhaled it in like a day, so there’s that… ;) but in the end I decided on 4 stars… my rating may change in the future, because I know I will want to reread this book before I continue with the rest of the story… no worries, this one doesn’t end on a cliffhanger, more li ...more
Tani
May 05, 2020 marked it as to-read
Hades and Persephone- say no more.
Ashlee » Library In The Country
Tantalizing and rich and sensual and absolutely gripping.

Whew, yeah. *fans self* This one was good. I've always been drawn to stories that have elements of Hades and Persephone, but this is the first book I've read that is actually about those characters themselves, albeit with a modern spin to the story.

And let me tell you, after just a few chapters I was completely hooked and didn't want to put it down. The banter between all of the characters in this book is funny and witty. I love the d
tabassum
Jul 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A must read for romance lovers!

When I came across this book I loved the concept! I downloaded immediately and then couldn’t bring myself to read it. I love the myth of Hades and Persephone and the one other retelling I’ve read was amazing! I wanted to love this book too and that made it hard to start!

After finishing it I can safely say OMG because this. Was. Brilliant! It was extremely well written and the plot was fantastic. When I realised that Hades and Persephone were put into a modern set
Naia Pard
I am so surprised, I can barely find my words. It has been at least a year since I've read a retelling and did not feel like closing it at the first chapter.

I have read my share of Persephone and Hades stories and I can claim some level of assurance in the genre. I am saying that just so I can give some credit to the praising that I am making to this one.

It flows. Oh, I was so happy to find this book that is whole and does not waver and quiver in its search for a meaning and a purpose. It know
Irene exquisitepages
Jul 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: faves, read-2020, scribd
I LOVED THIS LOL omg Hades makes me think of a mix of Rhysand and the Darkling oop
I love the tale of Hades and Persophene, and I want to read the sequel already-
Khadidja
May 14, 2020 rated it liked it
If you are looking for a cheesy urban Hades x Persephone retelling THEN THIS IS THE RIGHT BOOK FOR YOU!!!!!
Taylor Marvin
Jan 08, 2020 rated it it was ok

Alright, let me start off by saying I very very rarely read romance novels. There’s a reason that I don’t, and this book reminded me of why. However, I am a big lover of Greek myths and legends, with the myth of Hades and Persephone being one of my favorites. And this book was only three bucks to download onto my kindle, so I thought “What the hell? Why not?”

As soon as I started reading it, I could tell why it hadn’t been expensive, and it reminded me of why I don’t read romance novels.
Paige Green
Nov 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Disclaimer: I received this book from the publisher. Thanks! All opinions are my own.

Author: Scarlett St. Clair

Book Series: Standalone

Rating: 4/5

Publication Date: May 25, 2019

Recommended Age: 17+ (romance ewww lol)

Synopsis: Persephone is the Goddess of Spring by title only. The truth is, since she was a little girl, flowers have shriveled at her touch. After moving to New Athens, she hopes to lead an unassuming life disguised as a mortal journalist.

Hades, God of the Dead, has built a gambling e
Celeena
May 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mythology
Incredible, unique, engaging, swallow you whole-cant put it down-butterflies in your stomach kind of story! Literally so good.

Mythology is one of my favorite genres of all time so the two sides of the coin are usually "good characterization, interesting, good story" and "trope-y, movie plot-y, doesn't do the Gods justice" and this is definitely the first kind!

Seriously I can't get over it!

100% worth the read for myth fans, romance fans, or just any book lover who wants to get lost in the beautif
Serial Romance Librarian
Arena G.
Jul 19, 2020 marked it as books-i-own-tbr  ·  review of another edition
Two words: "Hades" and "Persephone"

Me: Say No More
Angela Cuéllar
Persephone is an idiot. I'm tapping out at 50% because I just cannot. I want to persevere for dear Hades' sake, but I don't want him with this Persephone so I think I'm just gonna bail instead lol.

She's just so blind. I can't take it. She comes across as so self-righteous and ignorant, so willing to believe what her mother tells her, the same mother she loathes for being her jailer. Everyone, monster and god/goddess alike, who works with/for Hades loves him, respects him, and tells her to not b
Heather Hill
Feb 24, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“It is true what they say about you,” she said, her chest rising and falling. “You heed no prayer. You offer no mercy.” Hades’ face remained blank. “No one prays to the God of the Dead, my lady, and when they do, it is already too late.”

I really enjoyed this take on the classic H&P tale! I thought the tropes I usually worry about (ie. jealousy and “the other woman”) were handled very well, and I loved that St Clair didn’t shy away from letting this Persephone save herself a few times 🙌. P.S. If
Samantha
Jul 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I DEVOURED THIS! Such an amazing book!
Nihal
May 14, 2020 rated it it was ok
I saw the other, more prettier cover and thought this was a fantasy. I was DUPED. SO HARD. Literally traumatized. Let's just say this genre ain't for me
☆taylor☆
I’m very sad to say I’m pretty disappointed with this book.

I feel like the problem is that it lures you in with the premise of an unique and creative modern day retelling of Persephone and Hades (which sounds amazing btw if there actually is a good version of this please let me know) but it really just is a cliche billionaire romance with Greek god characters.

*the following is very spoiler heavy*

Everything that I deeply deeply disliked:

A Too-Stupid-To-Live heroine
- Persephone is mind-blowingly
Ashleigh (ash_and_books)
Erika B. (SOS BOOKS)
This read was a fun, new, and edgy take on the Hades and Persephone story. It was so different and I loved that new perspective. Bring on book #2!
Scarlett Clair
Dec 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
The ATOD paperback is now available! https://www.amazon.com/dp/1070723312/...

You can get ATOD on Amazon NOW! https://www.amazon.com/Touch-Darkness...

If you would like to help reveal the cover for ATOD, please sign up here: http://xpressobooktours.com/2019/01/3...

I can't wait to share this book!
Updates to come.
Booknerdingout
Jul 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Touch Of Darkness was a fantastic retelling.
Dark and intense. The chemistry between Persephone and Hades was absolutely delicious.

"He was temptation she wanted to indulge. He was a sin she wanted to commit."

HOLY CRAP, SAME! Hades was sinful af. I couldn't get enough of him.
I devoured this book in one sitting.

I can't wait for the next book.
Tiffany S
Jun 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Retelling at it’s best!

This was a great read! Such a fun modern retelling that never felt like it i had read it before even though i did recognize the stories and themes from the original myth. I loved the world building! The passion and chemistry was so achingly perfect!
Butthisbook
Jun 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
LOVED IT!!
Restless Isabelle
Jul 10, 2020 rated it it was ok
A semi modern retelling of Hades and Persephone. There’s gambling, clubs and gossip mags detailing god feuds and hook ups. Conceptually it’s quite similar to Lore Olympus - what initially drew my interest and I was sly grinning, excited to see how it would unfold. But ultimately, it fell short. Really short.

Hades is a powerful yet lonely business mogul, minor gods and goddesses like Persephone go to university as they attempt to find their place in the world. The world building and characters w
A.M.G. ☮Hippie/Fantasia☮
Dec 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Greek mythology fans
Rating: 5+++ ♥ / 5

Ahem, a literary and personal weakness of mine, the myth of Hades and Persephone is definitely one of my favourites from all mythology in general. I've read through several retellings already, some good and others not, but this one is definitely an interesting one full of certain changes that I was not expecting.

I'll outline it in just a few basic points rather than gushing on and on about why I love it, because that would get boring. First off, for anyone wondering what kind o

• The Power of Hades (The Hades Trials, #1)
  • The Passion of Hades (The Hades Trials, #2)
  • The Eighth House: Hades & Persephone (Flames of Olympos #1)
  • From Blood and Ash (Blood and Ash, #1)
  • Deepening Dark: An Erotic Tale of Hades and Persephone (Erotic Gods Book 1)
  • Seven Pomegranate Seeds
  • A King So Cold
  • Receiver of Many (Hades & Persephone #1)
  • Destroyer of Light (Hades & Persephone #2)
  • The Shadows Between Us
  • Master of Salt & Bones
  • Hades (Modern Descendants, #1)
  • For the Love of Hades (Loves of Olympus, #2)
  • Rhapsodic (The Bargainer, #1)
  • Olympian Confessions: Hades and Persephone
  • In the Arms of Hades
  • The Bridge Kingdom (The Bridge Kingdom, #1)
  • Rage and Ruin (The Harbinger, #2)
Scarlett St. Clair lives in Oklahoma with her husband. She has a Master’s degree in Library Science and Information Studies. She is obsessed with Greek Mythology, murder mysteries, love, and the afterlife. If you are obsessed with these things, then you’ll like her books.

Sign up for my newsletter! https://mailchi.mp/6e2593363f04/rayon...

Hades & Persephone (3 books)
  • A Touch of Ruin (Hades & Persephone, #2)
  • A Touch of Malice (Hades & Persephone, #3)

News & Interviews