Start by marking “A Touch of Darkness (Hades & Persephone, #1)” as Want to Read:
A Touch of Darkness (Hades & Persephone, #1)

A Touch of Darkness

(Hades & Persephone #1)

3.86  ·  Rating details ·  79,353 ratings  ·  8,995 reviews
This is a previously-published edition - ASIN: B07S9HLL34

Persephone is the Goddess of Spring by title only. The truth is, since she was a little girl, flowers have shriveled at her touch. After moving to New Athens, she hopes to lead an unassuming life disguised as a mortal journalist.

Hades, God of the Dead, has built a gambling empire in the mortal world and his favorite
Kindle Edition, 1st Edition, 438 pages
Published May 23rd 2019 by Scarlett St. Clair

To ask other readers questions about A Touch of Darkness, please sign up.
Allie In my opinion, the book is good. I found it super easy to read and I enjoyed the plot. I think it gets better as you read because you get to know the …moreIn my opinion, the book is good. I found it super easy to read and I enjoyed the plot. I think it gets better as you read because you get to know the characters and the world they live in better. It's not my favorite book, but this is also not my favorite genre. It is an enemies to lovers book, but (in my opinion) the enemies part is pretty one-sided and Persephone's attraction to Hades is focused on much more than her dislike of him. Hope that helps!(less)

·  79,353 ratings  ·  8,995 reviews

Start your review of A Touch of Darkness (Hades & Persephone, #1)
jessica
Jul 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
uh oh. someone please admit me into rehab because i am A D D I C T E D.

i started this last night, just wanting to read a couple of chapters before bed. and the next thing i knew, it was 2.30am and my eyes were glued to each page. i swear this book is a drug, with each chapter feeling like taking hit. i just couldnt put it down.

this is far from perfect. the writing is nothing too special and the world building is a little lacking, but goodness me. this story is exactly what i needed. fellow moo
Arini ~ Miss Casually Reading
Readers are bound to get hyped because of the Hades & Persephone reference, and I feel like this updated cover might lead to false expectations cause it’s too pretty and not enough risqué. Therefore, you should be informed that this book is a smutty urban fantasy loose retelling of the King and Queen of Hell. In other words, it’s the perfect escape for a mindless guilty pleasure read should you ever need one. I mean, who doesn’t?

Hades was delicious. It’s Persephone I had a problem with, or rathe
Laura Thalassa
Jan 19, 2021 rated it it was amazing
So for months I've seen this book alongside Rhapsodic, and idiot that I am, it took me all the way until now to be like, "Hey, maybe I should read this one!" 😂

Well, I read it. And I freaking LOVED IT!!! The world is so unique, and while it's a "retelling" it's more like all the ancient Olympians living amongst mortals in a modern day world with lots of classical Greek influence. The whole thing was just magical and Hades is freaking HOT as SIN. I mean, the god of the underworld can entrap my @ss
Samantha
Feb 28, 2021 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
TW: sexual harassment

This is a pretty popular Hades and Persephone retelling, so I decided to give it a try. It sadly falls into the trap of many of the retellings I’ve read that feature these characters - the characters end up feeling a little flat. The Persephone character had the spunk and fire that I like seeing, but she almost seemed to purposely misunderstand things to add to the miscommunication plot line. The Hades here wasn’t my favorite since he was more of a bad boy and that’s not ho
Jessica
This was a huge miss for me. From the start, the writing felt very unpolished and I wasn't a fan of the writing style. The way things were explained felt very choppy and I could not ignore how badly things were explained or characters were developed. As far as the characters go, Persephone was so infuriating. She would make very stupid decisions just for the plot's sake and I was annoyed with her pretty much the whole book. I really did like Hades, but he fell flat for me in his development. We ...more
t☆
I’m very sad to say I’m pretty disappointed with this book.

I feel like the problem is that it lures you in with the premise of an unique and creative modern day retelling of Persephone and Hades (which sounds amazing btw if there actually is a good version of this please let me know) but it really just is a cliche billionaire romance with Greek god characters.

*the following is very spoiler heavy*

Everything that I deeply deeply disliked:

A Too-Stupid-To-Live heroine
- Persephone is mind-blowingly
Aliyah
I’m incapable of writing this review without a few minor spoilers. Not a lot, just enough to (hopefully) make you not want to read this book.
Also big thanks to Aliyah
for reading this with me. This book was terrible, but our collective rants made it worth it 😩

Subjective grade- 30%
Plot - 15%
Writing & dialogue- 60%
Worldbuilding - 40%
Character development - 20%
Character relationships - 5%

🌶🌶🌶 /5

Ahh, don't we love books that step outside the norms with their characters?

➻ The I don’t go to parties be
Jessi ♥️ H. Vojsk
May 25, 2020 rated it it was ok

”They say Hades is protective of his realm, and while that is true, it isn’t about power.
He cares for his people, protects them, and he takes it personally if anyone is harmed.
If you belong to him, he will tear the world apart to save you.”

Story 🌟🌟
-A Hades and Persephone retelling with a modern touch

While reading the book I was
- really bored
- and sad because I love Persephone and Hades story but this isn’t what i expected.
- realized that I definitely had too high expectations, sh*t

Character
S.J. Hartsfield
Aug 18, 2020 rated it did not like it

I was excited to read "A Touch of Darkness" based on the synopsis I was given. A modern retelling of the Hades and Persephone myth? Great!

Then I started the audiobook and it all went downhill from there. The only way to properly address my feelings about this book is to organize things in a list, so here we go:

1. Persephone as a heroine.

Persephone barely functions as a protagonist, let alone a heroine. Her motivations are all over the place: does she want adventure, a life outside her mother's g

Claude's Bookzone
Jan 17, 2021 marked it as dnf
DNF at 8%

"The force of what she'd done hit her. She'd allowed Hades, the God of the Underworld, to instruct her, to touch her, to play her and question her. And he had won. But that wasn't the worst part. No. The worst part was that there was a side of her, a side that she'd never known existed until tonight, that wanted to run back inside, find him, and demand a lesson in the anatomy of his body."

AND. I. AM. OUT.
ale ☽
2.5 stars.

my review on tumblr.

"You wish to fuck me with this crown, I wish to fuck a god."

description

Welcome once more to my favorite and most hated section: BIG HYPE, BIG LIE. In this episode, we will discuss the book "A Touch of Darkness" and how disappointing it was. Please, take a seat and remember: my review contains spoilers, so watch ahead! You've been warned!

description

Said that, let's start.

Y'all probably know that I love Hades and Persephone retelling, so, I was excited for read this book. Also, the hyp
literarylesbian
Mar 10, 2021 rated it did not like it
This book was... addictive, but also in need of some serious editing.
chan ☆
Mar 11, 2021 added it
Shelves: on-pause
on pause for now
Georgia
Mar 31, 2021 rated it did not like it
First, I just want to give a shout-out to Bookstagram and BookTok for really doing me dirty on this one. Y’all got me good. With that said... I did not enjoy this book. Now, don’t get me wrong, for the first half, I was having fun with the story. But past that point, I very quickly realized that this just wasn’t it.

I’m going to have to break down my critiques here because, honestly, my thoughts are just all over the place and I need to be organized about this. Profanity, spoilers, and general f
human
ah, screw it. i'll do my homework in the morning. or in the middle of the night.

(3.5/5)

This book was absolutely trashy in the best way possible. There was literally no plot to speak of whatsoever, but I somehow found myself absolutely immersed and unable to tear myself away. (I sat and read for like 3 hours straight!!) There's nothing particularly special or nice about the writing, or the characters for that matter, but the way that St. Clair was able to write the slow burn was... *chef's kiss*

I
danerys
Review in one sentence:

ahahahaha they’re so horny bruh that’s literally the entire plot 💀💀🖐

Full review

2.5/5⭐️

I would just like to say, first and foremost, that this is not a good book. If you’re looking for a well-written, romantic, meaningful story, this is not the book for you. But.... if you want a smutty trash book? Yes. A thousand times, yes. This is pretty much the equivalent to reading a modern au fanfic. Which, let’s be honest, we’ve all been in the mood to read at one point or another.
Hailee
May 04, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
(for now this is a 3.5 rounded down) i just want to make it clear that i really enjoyed this!!! i read it very quickly and found myself laughing out loud alongside the characters at certain points. even though some aspects were very cliche, i felt that it worked with the story and was still extremely enjoyable. however, i wish there were more in depth descriptions of the appearances of the characters and more elaboration on some of the side characters. although i liked reading this quite a bit, ...more
• Lindsey Dahling •
I’ve read a lot of Hades/Persephone themed books, but never one with the actual god/goddess, so this was my first. I’m pleased with the result.

There are a few things you’re going to have to prepare yourself for:

1. The dialogue is weird when Persephone is interacting with anyone BUT Hades.
I don’t know why this is. It suddenly turns generic and wooden. I don’t get it.

2. Misspellings galore.
There’s also a lot of struggling with whether or not to use an apostrophe to show possession.

3. Hades and Pe
Bryce Rocks My Socks
i have a lot of problems with this book:

problem #1: they're not real
problem #2: I'm not fictional

hades is so soft ahadsgfjadgsj here are some things to soften your beautiful black little hearts. you are not prepared.
- hades throwing around a ball for his dogs
- hades getting competitive playing rock paper scissors
- hades folding her clothes for her when she woke up
- him dressing her
- BAKING COOKIES

u were not ready
Lucy Tonks
Jul 13, 2021 rated it it was ok
2.5
This was actually way more enjoyable than I expected. I went into this book with fairly low expectations considering the things I've heard about it and whta I tend to enjoy in books, but this was really a surprise.

Persephone is the goddess of Spring only by title. All her life she has been hidden by her mother, but when she moves to New Athens, she hopes to leave a simple life disguised as a mortal journalist. But things don't go as plan as she ends up meeting Hades at his own club and struc
Nellie
Apr 04, 2021 rated it did not like it
This is basically an unedited, underdeveloped greek mythology smut. This book is if the worst parts of Fifty Shades and Lore Olympus had a baby. It was just terrible in every aspect and I will never understand how this even got published in the first place.

Insta-love? Check.
Cringey dialogue? Check.
Really dry plot? Check. (What plot?)
Bad writing? Check.
One-dimensional characters? Check.

PLSSS I didn’t even expect much from this book. All I wanted was to read some trashy romance story with decent
Paige ♠
This was enjoyable but didn't stick out from other books in the fantasy/romance genre.

THE MODERN SETTING WITH GREEK GODS was the most unique thing about the story. I thought it was interesting how the Gods were involved in the human world - owning clubs and handing out "favor", although I didn't really understand what favor was... 🤔

PERSEPHONE WAS AN ANNOYING CHARACTER and was very inconsistent. One moment she would be reflecting on how she had never been kissed and then two pages later she w
julia ♥
That was .... Not Very Good.
 ⚔Irunía⚔
The story revolves around a well known and tenderly loved by many couple in Greek mythology - Hades and Persephone. You would think Hades and Persephone are bound to give off some godly vibes and show some ungodly chemistry to us, mortals, right? That's what I was here for personally.
No. No. Such. Luck.

If it weren't for their names, I'd definitely have had a hard time remembering it's Greek gods we are reading about here and not some random rich ass tycoon from your typical romance novel and a
myo (myonna reads)
this book was a bit boring and it wasn’t very sexy, it was kinda corny at times when it came to the world. i feel like writing about greek mythology in a romance book can be kinda hard but this was okay. it felt a bit too similar to lore olympus at times but i’ll still give the second book a chance.
maegan
This was 99% smut and 1% plot but it was still entertaining and addictive.
Marti
A fun spin on the well-known myth.
I love Greek mythology, and I'm glad this book lived up to its expectations.
monica kim
this was a legitimately fun reinterpretation of greek mythology! kindof makes me want to get into reading more romance 👀

you can watch me read & review this book in my newest youtube video where i read viral tiktok books: https://youtu.be/ZbpjsbIjCI8
Nikita Afsar
May 01, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
MY HEART IS SO FULL RIGHT NOW AHH😭✋🏽
Jaimie
Aug 09, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2-stars, 2020
Reading the synopsis for A Touch of Darkness, I was ready to loooove this book. A pseudo-contemporary urban fantasy retelling of Hades and Persephone. Yes, please. Hades as mysteroius millionare club and casino owner and Persephone as naive college student/ intern reporter digging into Hades' infamous deeds? YES, PLEASE.

Sadly, Scarlett St. Clair's writing just wasn't up to snuff to pull this off. Hades does not have a personality. At all. He's every Tortured, Lonely Millionaire with Bedroom Eyes
HELP 4 27 Sep 17, 2021 07:29AM
YA Buddy Readers'...: A Touch of Darkness (Hades & Persephone #1) by Scarlett St. Clair - Restarting July 1st 2021 30 62 Jul 14, 2021 07:52AM

• Neon Gods (Dark Olympus, #1)
  • The ​Crown of Gilded Bones (Blood and Ash, #3)
  • A Kingdom of Flesh and Fire (Blood and Ash, #2)
  • The Fall of Troy (The Odyssey Duet, #1)
  • Gild (The Plated Prisoner, #1)
  • Kind of Cursed
  • Curse of Stone (Academy of the Damned, #1)
  • The Bromance Book Club (Bromance Book Club, #1)
  • Glint (The Plated Prisoner, #2)
  • Would Like to Meet
  • The Fractured Mate (Iriduan Test Subjects #6)
  • Gleam (The Plated Prisoner, #3)
  • Kingdom of the Cursed (Kingdom of the Wicked, #2)
  • Been There Done That (Leffersbee, #1)
  • A Shadow in the Ember (Flesh and Fire, #1)
  • To Kill a Curse (Lingering Sea  #1)
  • Number Neighbors
See top shelves…
International and USA Today Best Selling author Scarlett St. Clair is a citizen of the Muscogee Nation and the author of the HADES X PERSEPHONE SAGA, the HADES SAGA, KING OF BATTLE & BLOOD, and WHEN STARS COME OUT.

She has a Master's degree in Library Science and Information Studies and a Bachelors in English Writing. She is obsessed with Greek Mythology, murder mysteries, and the afterlife.

If you

Hades & Persephone (4 books)
  • A Touch of Ruin (Hades & Persephone, #2)
  • A Touch of Malice (Hades & Persephone, #3)
  • A Touch of Chaos (Hades & Persephone, #4)