Start by marking “The Fires of Vengeance (The Burning, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Fires of Vengeance (The Burning, #2)

The Fires of Vengeance

(The Burning #2)

4.39  ·  Rating details ·  9,713 ratings  ·  1,132 reviews
Desperate to delay an impending attack by the indigenous people of Xidda, Tau and his queen craft a dangerous plan. If Tau succeeds, the queen will have the time she needs to assemble her forces and launch an all-out assault on her own capital city, where her sister is being propped up as the 'true' Queen of the Omehi.

If the city can be taken, if Tsiora can reclaim her thr

Published November 10th 2020

·  9,713 ratings  ·  1,132 reviews

Start your review of The Fires of Vengeance (The Burning, #2)
Petrik
I have a Booktube channel now! Subscribe here: https://www.youtube.com/petrikleo

ARC provided by the publisher—Orbit—in exchange for an honest review.

The Fires of Vengeance is an excellent sequel. If Winter can keep this impressive quality up for the remaining two books, the series is guaranteed to be included in many fantasy reader’s lists of favorite fantasy series.

Two things first. One, can we first appreciate that cover art by Karla Ortiz? The cover art of this series is simply stunning. Just
William Gwynne
My 100th review on Goodreads. And what a book to fill that position. I have loved writing each one, and hope to create many more.

My expanded review is on BookNest:

BookNest - The Fires of Vengeance

My favourite read of 2021, so far!

The Fires of Vengeance is the second instalment in The Burning, by Evan Winter. So far, this series is what I would call a masterpiece. I enjoy most books, but rarely do I have no complaint at all. The Firs of Vengeance accompanies The Rage of Dragons in providing a per
Hamad
Apr 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
This Review ✍️ Blog 📖 Twitter 🐦 Instagram 📷

“Keep fighting, and I swear that before it consumes us, we’ll burn our pain to ash in the fires of vengeance.”

The Rage of Dragons ★★★★ 1/4
The Fires of Vengeance ★★★★ 1/4

I read The Rage of Dragons earlier this year and really enjoyed it and i was so excited for this sequence. Thanks for the publisher for providing me with an E-ARC, all opinions are mine though.

Although I read The first book this year, I forgot some of the details because I re
Sara
Oct 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I cant tell you how thrilled I was to receive an early copy of this book. The Rage of Dragons blew me a way and left me wondering why I hadn't picked it up sooner, a mistake I avoided making this time.
This is a fantasy of epic proportions, the world building, magic system, plot and political aspects of this book are meticulously thought out and executed in a superb manner. The writing is engaging and makes it easy to follow everything that's happening, and a lot happens (I won't give you any spo
Deborah Obida
Nov 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, adult
Buddy read with Ikenna

“Rage is love … twisted in on itself,” he said, using some of the words she’d spoken to him on the night Zuri died. “Rage reaches into the world when we can no longer contain the hurt of being treated as if our life and loves do not matter. Rage, and its consequences, are what we get when the world refuses to change for anything less.”

The Fires of Vengence is the second book in The Burning series, I'm glad it didn't disappoint, I was a bit scared given that this series
Eon ♒Windrunner♒
Oct 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I received an ARC from the publisher (Orbit) in exchange for an honest review.

This review is spoiler free.

The Fires of Vengeance melts expectations; burning even hotter than the Rage of Dragons and blazing a trail for Evan Winter to join an elite group at the top of the fantasy pile.

I absolutely loved Evan Winter's first contribution to the fantasy genre, and ever since I finished the Rage of Dragons I had been counting the months to the sequel’s release and holding on to the hope of maybe even
Becca & The Books
Apr 25, 2022 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am SO READY for book 3 in this series now!
I really enjoyed Rage of Dragons, but didn't really connect to Tao as a character because of how his single minded focus on his objective drains away any other element of his character, this isn't really a criticism as it's a very intentional choice on behalf of the author, but it did hinder my enjoyment slightly and I was definitely more invested in the side characters than Tao.
One thing I have loved about this series so far is that the character deve
David S Meanderings)
Jun 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars. NON- spoiler review.

A brilliant continuation combining Evan Winter’s excellent prose, characterization, world building, and edge of your seat action.

Thank you so much to Orbit Books for giving me this eArc. Receiving this advanced copy did not affect my review in any way.

This was my most anticipated read of 2020. Book 1, The Rage of Dragons was my favorite book of 2019 so being able to get an early copy was like a dream come true. I really enjoyed this book.

“Keep fighting, and I swear
Books With Kayla
May 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I saw that there was a 1 star rating on this book because it didn't have any white people in it....
Fantasy finally starts becoming more inclusive so of course people have to complain about it. It blows my mind that someone would go out of their way to rate a book because of this. If I wanted to rate every fantasy book with an all white cast 1 star, pretty sure I'd be doing it until I died.

Rage of Dragons was fantastic, I have high hopes for this novel, and if the race of the characters in it of
Wayne Salamonsen
Apr 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
When is this coming out? Having read the first one I can’t wait.
La Crosse County Library
The Fires of Vengeance is the sequel to The Rage of Dragons . The Rage of Dragons was my favorite fantasy read of 2019 where everything hit the check boxes that I look for. In fact, it was one of my favorite fantasy debuts and favorite fantasy book overall since I liked it that much. I was excited to engorge myself on this book, yet also hesitant to start it since I knew I had really high expectations for it.

This book picks up immediately after the events of the first book with our heroes
Lee  (the Book Butcher)
second novel written in Evan winters' burning series. this series has me burning as hot as dragon's fire, i am enjoying it so much. but no joke probably the best series I've read in a while! This is what I wanted from such series as Eragon by paolini and children of blood and bone by tomi Adeyemi.

There maybe a dragon on the cover but they are once again more auxiliary. although there is a full on dragon battle at the end! Once again most of the action involves tau in the underworld fighting demo
Edward
Apr 09, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, favorites
Man that ending was so good. Such brilliant pacing, great characters and some of the best combat sequences. I loved how the characters really developed in this book.

Can't wait for the next one.
Lucia
Nov 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-stars-read, fantasy
This was exactly what I needed! Fast-paced and action-packed fantasy novel with storyline that sucked me in from the very beginning to the end. Evan Winter did not disappoint. This sequel has everything that made me enjoy first book. Moreover, I finally got what I was missing in The Rage of Dragons and that was proper character development for our main hero Tau.

There are two features that set this series apart from other fantasy novels. Firstly, Evan Winter presented very original and fascinatin
Mike's Book Reviews
Full Video Review Here: https://youtu.be/f9On96Z2lMs

What started out as the first channel read along has turned into one of the most intriguing starts to a fantasy universe in modern fantasy. The world that Evan Winter crafted in The Rage of Dragons gets a level up in this sequel and builds upon that world, and underworld, in a most satisfying way.

Very much like Pierce Brown's Red Rising saga, Winter has found a way to make his books seemingly non-stop action, but never in a way that feels exhau
Alex Nieves
Nov 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Full video review here: https://youtu.be/ewPZaOvf6sE

If you know me and my love for Rage of Dragons (RoD) then this review is not going to surprise you one bit. This book was fantastic and exactly what I wanted from a sequel to this story. We are still following Tau and his revenge
Dannii Elle
This is the second instalment in The Burning series.

Tau is a Lesser, lacking the physical strength and respect of the nobles of his lands. However, his prowess in battle and his dedication to the art of war, even when his sword is housed in its sheath, have led him to the queen's side. He now serves as her champions, although many are unimpressed by his new position. They must, however, put their faith in Tau if he is to continue to lead them to freedom and keep their queen safe from harm, in th
Jackson
The Rage Of Dragons was a fantastic debut, thus I was prepared for the next book in the series, The Fires Of Vengeance, to not quite meet my expectations - unfortunately, for me, it didn't.

*This will be a spoiler-free review*

Fair warning, what I write here will undoubtedly sound more negative than I intend. The book was enjoyable for the most part, but there were a handful of elements that seriously detracted from my experience.

The book started with a clumsily implemented recap of The Rage Of Dr
Nils | nilsreviewsit
“You call me a monster because I won’t let you treat me like my life is worthless, a thing to be used and thrown away?” He said. “You call me a monster because I refuse to live like you think I deserve? If that’s what you mean by monster, watch me be monstrous!”

The Fires of Vengeance by Evan Winter proceeds directly on from the explosive ending of the first instalment, Rage of Dragons, a book which absolutely floored me with its brilliance. The lands of the Omehi were left scorched and broken, i
Rin
Apr 18, 2022 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kick ass. I'm hype for the next one ...more
CF Dracarys
Mar 16, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There seems to be so much to say and not much to say at the same time.

I think the best take away from this book is that Eric Winter is an amazingly talented writer. I love the mythology. I love the caste system. I love the world. I love the magic. I love the darkness. I love me a powerful, badass queen that can control dragons.

Tau is written really well in that he makes me so angry and frustrated. Sometimes I like him, other times I hate him. I didn't get much sense of the character growth in
Udy Kumra
Nov 12, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020-fiction
10/20/21: Should also add that I've changed my mind and think the romance is pretty annoying in hindsight. Cognitive dissonance.

9/7/21: 3 stars. Good pacing. Good plot. Tau is a boring dummy now, apparently.

4/28/21: 4 stars. Lowering it to 4 stars because even though it was addicting it had its faults.

2/8/21: 4.5 stars. This book was fantastic from start to finish. I could not stop reading it, turning the pages, wanting to know what was next. It had a really great evolution for Tau as a main cha
Holly (The GrimDragon)
"Snarling, laughing, jeering, the nightmare among them attacked and the demons fought back."

The Fires of Vengeance is the second novel in the Burning series by Evan Winter.

I swear it feels like I just read The Rage of Dragons, but it was nearly 1.5 years ago now. WHAT EVEN IS TIME?

I would be remiss if I didn't first mention that glorious cover! Karla Ortiz continues to hit it out of the park with her gorgeous artwork! Not only is the cover stunning, but the book itself smells bloody delectable!
S A M | The Book in Hand
Hello, Bookish Folk!

It is about time I reviewed this book, I finished reading The Fires of Vengeance at the end of December. I read it in a total of four days and I listened to a good chunk of this book via the audiobook. This is one of those books I cant really read myself. I know that sounds odd but Prentice does such an incredible job at narrating this book and book one that even when I am reading the physical book I hear his voice, but then it becomes some weird fucked up version (I suck at
sol
i -
i jus-
i just-
i-

I need this now, please
i am crying
i miss tau and it hasn't even been an hour

EDIT: YALL THIS CAME OUT YESTERDAY WHAT DO I DO WITH MY HANDS
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

edit: put down on page 220
this was returned to my library
will pick up again when im in the mood
Zitong Ren

The Fires of Vengeance by Evan Winter, the second novel in The Burning series was a delightful and wonderful novel. It was riveting, fast paced and action packed the entire way through. It is actually really nice to see a fantasy novel that is just five hundred pages yet manages to pack in so much. Fantasy novels, as much as I love them, have a real tendency to drag and I think it is fan
Wick Welker
Jun 30, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Transformational developments.

Yeah, this series is awesome. You can stop reading here if you’d like and go pick up The Rage of Dragons. I loved the first installment but started to have some doubts about how The Fires of Vengeance would turn out but trust me, the ending is epic, intense and engrossing.

Tau, our protagonist who has suffered most of his life at the bottom rung of a caste system, doesn’t actually experience that much character development. He continues to be—wait for it—out for blo
Jake Bishop
Evan Winter proves that he is here to stay. The Rage of Dragons was my favorite debut novel of all time, not an easy act to follow up. But damm Evan Winter did it.

My Rage of Dragons review didn't have any cons, I also don't have any cons for The Fires of Vengeance. However I will be comparing The Rage of Dragons to The Fires of Vengeance.

Difference #1 The Fires of Vengeance is more morally complex, and morally interesting. Reading this book made me ask questions about what is morally acceptabl
kartik narayanan
Nov 15, 2020 rated it liked it
You can listen to the review on my podcasts available on Apple Spotify Stitcher
You can also watch it on Youtube
Or read more like this on my blog, Digital Amrit

'The Fires of Vengeance' is the sequel to 'The Rage of Dragons'.

The book is well written with a break-neck pace, but it suffers from 'sequel-i-tis'. The rebellion is crushed, Tau gets what he wants, but manages to screw up even more. But this is a set-up for the main course - The Cull, which we will read about in the next book.

The feelin
Izzie
Dec 15, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs, epic-fantasy
The Fires of Vengeance takes all the best parts of The Rage of Dragons and proves, if proof was somehow still needed, that Evan Winter is a name to watch in SFF. My only complaint is that it was too short, just as I was really getting into the plot and the characterisations - WHAM! it was over. But the journey itself more than made up for it.

4.5 stars! Thanks to Netgalley and Orbit for the review copy.

• Power Mage
  • Legend (Legend, #1)
  • Queenie
  • Memento (The Illuminae Files, #0.5)
  • These Violent Delights (These Violent Delights #1)
  • Elantris (Elantris, #1)
  • Spellmonger (The Spellmonger, #1)
  • Thornbear (Champions of the Dawning Dragons, #1)
  • Hollow Core (School of Swords and Serpents, #1)
  • World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War
  • The Hollow Places
  • பொன்னியின் செல்வன் - கொலை வாள்
  • Beat to Quarters
  • Slaying Monsters for the Feeble (The Guild Codex: Demonized, #2)
  • Crown of Feathers (Crown of Feathers, #1)
  • Darkdawn (The Nevernight Chronicle, #3)
  • Fireborne (The Aurelian Cycle, #1)
  • The Shadow Throne (The Shadow Campaigns, #2)
War
See top shelves…
Evan Winter, winner of the Reddit/Fantasy Award for Best Debut Fantasy Novel (2019), is a Barnes & Nobles, Amazon, and Locus best selling author of speculative fiction. His debut novel, THE RAGE OF DRAGONS, is the opening to an epic fantasy quartet that began life as a self-published novel before being acquired by Hachette's Orbit Books. Most recently, TIME magazine named it one THE 100 BEST FANTA ...more

The Burning (4 books)
  • The Rage of Dragons (The Burning #1)
  • The Lord of Demons (The Burning, #3)
  • Untitled (The Burning, #4)