Start by marking “Singapore Sapphire (Harriet Gordon Mystery #1)” as Want to Read:
Singapore Sapphire (Harriet Gordon Mystery #1)

Singapore Sapphire

(Harriet Gordon Mystery #1)

Harriet Gordon stumbles into a murderous web of stolen gems and cutthroat thieves as she runs from her tragic past in an enthralling new historical mystery series set in early twentieth century Singapore.

Singapore 1910--Desperate for a fresh start and to distance herself from her tragic past, Harriet Gordon finds herself in Singapore at the height of colonial rule. Hopin
Expected publication: August 6th 2019 by Berkley

Win a Copy of This Book

• Singapore Sapphire by A.M.   Stuart
    Singapore Sapphire (Harriet Gordon Mystery #1)
    Release date: Aug 06, 2019
    Early twentieth-century Singapore is a place where a person can disappear, and Harriet Gordon hopes to make a new life for herself there, leaving her ...more

Format: Print book

Giveaway ends in: a

Availability: 30 copies available, 1493 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Jul 09 - Aug 05, 2019

Countries available: U.S.

• Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about Singapore Sapphire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Singapore Sapphire

Anna Lee Huber
    Mar 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    My favorite new mystery series! Set in a unique and compelling setting, and filled with fascinating historical research, deft characterization, and thrilling suspense, readers will devour Singapore Sapphire. One of the best books I’ve read this year. I can’t wait to read Harriet’s next adventure.
    Sherwood Smith
    This impeccably researched historical mystery is closer to thriller than it is to romance, though the two lead characters are the widowed suffragette Harriet Gordon and Inspector Robert Curran, who many of the British imperialists living in Singapore tsk over because they feel he's "gone native."

Some readers might object to the very nature of the book, depicting English people during the height of the imperial period (on the verge of its fall); I thought Stuart did a superb job of walking that k
    Becky
    Mar 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    SINGAPORE SAPPHIRE by A M Stuart
    In the mood for a multiple murder/gem smuggling mystery with a bit of romance and family drama and a fair amount of diverse culture? Then this is your book.
    Harriet, newly arrived in Singapore in 1910, is the richly nuanced main character. Most characters are well developed, although a couple surprises near the end seem a bit “out of the blue.” The culture of colonial Singapore is clearly drawn. The main characters are mainly upper class British, with the requisite
    Anita
    May 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    This is a beautifully written, cleverly-crafted murder mystery set in the unusual location of Singapore in 1910. Harriet Gordon is a multi-layered character with a tragic past and a secret she is at pains to keep from the critical Colonial society where she fled in an attempt to leave her past behind.
    However, even in the Far East, where nothing is quite what it seems and everyone has secrets, Hannah's suffragette past threatens to cast a blight on her future and that of her bachelor headmaster
    Jacqie
    Apr 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Book Him Danno
    Mar 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
    A well composed mystery that will take you to Singapore during the early 20th century when it was very much a part of the British Empire. The story will transport you to a time and place you can only imagine. I felt as if I could feel the oppressive heat and humidity in addition to smelling the various odors that were described so vividly. The mystery was well defined and easy for the reader to follow.

I have rated the book 4 stars and would recommend to any who enjoys a period tale.

I voluntarily
    Minx
    I received a digital ARC of this novel courtesy of NetGalley and Berkley Publishing Group in exchange for an honest and voluntary review. Will post full review closer to publication date of August 06, 2019.
    LibraryLaur
    Apr 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
    An engrossing historical mystery with an exotic setting. I'm looking forward to the next in the series.

*Thanks to the publisher and NetGalley for providing an e-galley in exchange for an honest review.
    Susanne
    May 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Some stories you just have to devour, they're so compelling. This is such a one.

Harriet Gordon, widow, stenographer and suffragette, and the dedicated Inspector Curran, the not-quite gentleman detective, are two of my new favourite characters, brought together in colonial 1910 Singapore by a murder that spreads tentacles far and wide.

As the title indicates, precious gems are involved, although Harriet herself is the real 'gem', a woman of education, principles, and, for the times, a very pract
    Krystal
    Apr 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
    A very enjoyable mystery set in a part of the world I did not know much about. Harriet Gordon is an interesting new heroine who I enjoyed as a realistic and yet brave woman trying to rebuild her life in Singapore following tragedy in India and as a suffragette in London. She's given a fabulous partner in Inspector Robert Curran. Could I also just give a hat off to the author who has, so far anyway, made it clear this is a friendship and not a romance? The plot moves along nicely and never drags ...more
    Barbara Senteney
    Jun 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: best-of-2019
    Harriet is a nice young woman who has lost her husband and child to colera. She decides to move to Singapore for a new beginning. She has to earn a living so after advertising in the newspaper she is hired by a wealthy eccentric to write his memoirs. Reporting to work to retrieve her typewriter she finds her employer and his man servant brutally murdered. Inspector Curran shows up to investigate and the mystery begins.

What I thought was going to be a historical romance I soon found was truly a t
    Gemma F
    Jul 16, 2019
    A historical fiction novel set in my country? I couldn’t ask for anything better!
    Roslyn Stillman
    Apr 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    This is the first book by Ms Stuart that I have read. It is very different from the historical romances I usually read. I found it very well written, with lots of mystery, intrigue and suspense to keep me turning the page. I found as one mystery was revealed another one came along. I enjoyed the fact that I thought I had worked out who done it only to find I was wrong and needed to keep going right up till the end. The characters were well written so that you could relate to them and they worked ...more
    Bebe (Sarah) Brechner
    I absolutely loved this story, it’s characters (particularly the wonderfully real main character Harriet Gordon), the fabulous setting and period (early 20th century Singapore), and, of course, the truly intriguing plot. This is a very well rendered historical novel which introduces the fascinating Harriet, her supportive brother, and a few other characters which I anticipate will become part of future stories. And we must, must have more stories! This is the first in what promises to be a favor ...more
    Susan
    Jun 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Shelves: 2019-reads, arc, wom2019
    I really enjoyed this mystery for its smart heroine and for giving a good sense of the time and location.
    Patricia Revzin
    Jun 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    As fan of historical fiction and suspense, I was drawn into this book from the very first chapter. Set in colonial Singapore in 1910, the densely layered, compelling, and well-thought out plot centers around gem smuggling, murderous thieves, and vividly descriptive and intriguing main characters. The oppressive heat and humidity as well as the overgrown jungle add to the atmospheric tension.
    Harriet Gordon, a former suffragette and recently widowed, left London to live in India for ten years, and
    Kathy Martin
    Jul 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Harriet Gordon is in Singapore living with her brother after losing her husband and son in India and joining the suffrage movement in England. She was imprisoned and force fed which almost killed her. She is looking for a new start.

Harriet is doing unpaid work at the school where her brother is headmaster. So she goes looking for clerical work to give her some wages. Her first client is Sir Oswald Newbold who is writing his memoirs. He was an explorer who opened Burmese ruby mines to British buy
    May 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Singapore Sapphire is an enjoyable, well-paced historical mystery in an interesting setting. Featuring complex and sympathetic characters, this mystery takes us to colonial Singapore. It's an easy but still compelling mystery with well-researched historical detail, and strong female lead and a somewhat mysterious but intriguing police counterpart. The slight concern that arises with many historicals set in colonized locations is that most of the local characters are secondary and not fleshed out ...more
    Kathy Cohen
    Jun 17, 2019 rated it liked it
    I received this title as an ARC. Many of you know this author through her very good novels of the English civil war. This title begins a crime series set in an exotic locale, the British crown colony of Singapore in 1910. Detective Robert Curran and English widow Harriet Gordon are the two main characters in a story that includes a polyglot cast--Malay, Dutch, Indian, Chinese, and British. Both Curran and Gordon have intriguing, sometimes mysterious backgrounds, which affect the resolution of th ...more
    Krista
    May 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Singapore Sapphire is the first book in a series about Harriet Gordon, and is set in colonial Singapore. A. M. Stuart has done her research and brings history alive by adding in Mrs. Gordon and her friends into this amazing setting. This story is about an international ring of jewel thieves and includes murder and mayhem.

This was a fun and interesting book to read. The atmosphere of colonial Singapore is brought to life as you work through the mystery of who the murderer is and why they did it.
    Jane
    Jun 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Singapore Sapphire by A. M. Stuart is Historical Mystery Fiction in early 20th Century Singapore. Evil spirits and a murder mystery with a knife depicting demons in a ransacked house. Secrets, criminals, missing people and an Inspector who won’t quit. This is a fast paced story with many unexpected twists. I enjoyed the interesting characters, their unusual lives and the exoctic places in this mystery.
    I received a complimentary copy of this book from First to Read. Opinions expressed in this re
    Shelly
    Jul 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    I enjoyed reading Singapore Sapphire I received from Goodreads. That being said I did have a difficult time getting into it at first.
    The setting Singapore in 1910. It begins with the question of who killed Sir Oswald Norwood. Harriet happens upon his body thus is drawn into the case with Inspector Curran. There is another death complicating the investigation.
    I'll let you read this book before I accidentally spill to many details. I usually enjoy this Chandra and I wasn't disappointed this time
    Kathy Stasa
    Jun 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
    I was delightfully surprised with this book! A murder mystery set in early 1900's Singapore in which Harriet Gordon becomes involved and eventually solves. Good character development, lush descriptions, and just plain fun and entertaining to read. Looking forward to reading more Harriet Gordon mysteries.
    Julia
    May 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
    This is a promising start to an intriguing new historical mystery series set in 1910 Singapore. Interesting enough, I recently finished Simon Winchester's KRAKATOA, which made me very familiar with Batavia, VOC, trading, etc. happening in Singapore and Malaysia. Harriet Gordon is an interesting new character in historical mysteries and I look forward to the next book in the series.
    Deirdre Routt
    Laurie
    Jun 01, 2019
    Carol
    Mar 25, 2019
    Australian author, A.M. Stuart, began her writing career half way up a tree in the school playground where she wrote her first (unpublished) historical romance. She now writes historical romance as Alison Stuart (a Goodreads author).
    Born in Kenya, her family came to Australia when she was ten years old. She has also lived in Singapore.
    In her life outside writing, she enjoyed a varied career as a l