Start by marking “Sermons on the Beatitudes” as Want to Read:
Sermons on the Beatitudes

Sermons on the Beatitudes

This short series on the Beatitudes, translated for the first time into English, comprise Calvin's exposition of Matthew 5:1-12, Mark 3:13-19 and Luke 6:12-26. Begun in 1559, the series was still not completed by 1564, when ill health forced his retirement from the pulpit. He died three months later making these sermons his very last effort to elucidate a New Testament tex ...more
Published November 1st 2006 by Banner of Truth (first published June 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Sermons on the Beatitudes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sermons on the Beatitudes

Roy Bartle
May 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An excellent edited series of sermons with much practical application to the 21st century, and nicely typeset.
Christopher
I don't think I've ever read anything by Calvin that I didn't like, however I do think it is quite interesting that Calvin does not preach through each of the Synoptics independently, but works through the Gospels as a Harmony. It would be too much to ask of the early Reformers that they would have the same literary understanding of each Gospel which we now recognize and love. They were men before their time.

That said, these are still great sermons on the Beatitudes. I haven't read enough of Cal
Ron
Jan 16, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I consider this a must read for the Christian warrior bent on engaging in the cosmic battle as he presses on toward the goal of which he has been called heavenward in Christ Jesus.

Years ago, I was turned off by the mention of John Calvin. The reason was simple: I evaluated the man by the behavior of those who pushed "his" doctrine on others. Sadly, I now realize I missed out on some of the greatest teaching the world has ever known--teaching that has to this day, influenced the direction of the
Logan
Apr 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Oh inestimable Calvin! This was a really good set of sermons, nicely done and footnoted. Coming from reading the 1579 translation of Calvin's sermons to Titus I found this to have much of the same flavor but with more modern English, so I was impressed.

Calvin's sermons on the Beatitudes are extremely applicable and heart-warming. I have begun more and more to appreciate them and have been trying to acquire as many as I can.
David Griffin
Dec 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
Great book, sermons are a helpful description of the Christian life according to Jesus. Read this book and you won't find a cold theologian, but a pastor well acquainted with the suffering that the Beatitudes describe.
Michael J
Sep 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: christian, nonfiction
Edifying. Good to hear (read) solid truth preached faithfully. Nothing struck me as particularly mind-blowing or profound. Just the simple truth, presented humbly.
Honza Pokorny
Jonah Hill
Feb 08, 2019
Peter Jones
Nov 23, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I am beginning to like Calvin's sermons more and more. Food for the soul.

Md Meiser
Caleb
Sep 27, 2016
Luiz Rens
Apr 09, 2012
John Calvin (10 July 1509 – 27 May 1564), né Jehan Cauvin, re-translated from Latin Iohannes Calvinus into Jean Calvin in modern French, was an influential French theologian and pastor during the Protestant Reformation. He was a principal figure in the development of the system of Christian theology later called Calvinism. Originally trained as a humanist lawyer, he broke from the Roman Catholic C ...more