Start by marking “Extinction Red Line (The Extinction Cycle #0.5)” as Want to Read:
Extinction Red Line (The Extinction Cycle #0.5)

Extinction Red Line

(The Extinction Cycle #0.5)

The official prequel and origin story of the bestselling Extinction Cycle series.

One Marine's End Is The Beginning Of Our Extinction ...

For a dozen years, villagers along the ancient Da River in Vietnam have feared a nightmarish creature who hunts and consumes human flesh. Only in whispers do they mention its name, The White Ghost.

To the United States military, this
Published December 18th 2018 by Great Wave Ink Publishing

Start your review of Extinction Red Line (The Extinction Cycle #0.5)
Miriam
Jun 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Woot! bye bye slump!!! And please stay the fuck away!

5 stars audio
4 stars story! Love love love this author's take on "zombies"!!! What an awesome and original imagination!
Brian's Book Blog
Brutal and Awesome (Damn Good Fiction)

What do you get when you combine two of my favorite post-apocalyptic authors in one book? Brutal and Awesome. Oh wait, you didnt want how I would describe Nicholas Sansbury Smith and Tom Abrahams as people? Kidding, of course, this story is both. Its brutal, like, had me almost pausing it numerous times when the VX-99 soldier was feeding. But, its also awesome. Abrahams wrote the original story and NSS added and rewrote some of it with him and you can tell
Mark
Feb 15, 2019 rated it it was ok
This novel is a prequel to the Extinction Cycle series. It's poorly written. Every dialogue is either snarled, or exploded, or stammered. Every character who has a nickname has the nickname explained in the exposition. That kind of thing is so much better when it just comes up naturally in terms of show, don't tell. This book is a telling masterpiece. I don't recommend this book.
Cheryl
Dec 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Back to the beginning

This prequel takes the reader back to the beginnings and the whys of the EXTINCTION CYCLE series by author Nick Smith.

It starts off in 1968 during the Vietnam War in the jungles of Vietnam with a group of Marines who are lied to about an experimental drug VX-99 they are told to give themselves.

This is an excellent start to the series as it tells of the changes in Marine Lieutenant Trevor Brett and is told mostly from his point-of-view. It ties up a lot of the loose ends of
Wancket Enterprises
Dec 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Amazing

This book was riveting. I love Nicholas Sansbury Smith's books. He has an exceptional mind and imagination. I have read all of his books. Tom Abrahams is also an exceptional author. More please.
L J Field
Oct 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: thriller
This was a much better story than I was expecting. This is my first book in my foray into The Extinction Cycle and I liked it very much. Not knowing much about the Eries except that it is apocalyptic, I was expecting zombies and such. Instead we have a soldier, a victim of his superiors attempt to create a super-soldier, being given a hypodermic with a lethal cocktail that turns him into something else. Once it is known that he survived the experiment, the story details efforts to catch him. ...more
BookLoversLife
Jan 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-book
I have been waiting for this book!!! Initially released as a Kindle World book, it has been expanded and is finally available for people outside the US.

If you've read the Extinction Cycle books, you will be familiar with Marine Lieutenant Trevor Brett. The first book in the series, Extinction Horizon, starts with seeing Brett take an experimental drug that is supposed to make them Super Soldiers, but it does something no one expected and creates a monster! Extinction Red Line is Brett's story
Mike Keller
Dec 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
UFinally! The Extinction Cycle begins!

I didn't get a chance to read the original Red Line. Now I'm able to get the story that begins the Extinction Cycle series. Details are filled in, characters are fleshed out, riddles were answered. This is the story that is needed.

Marine Lt. Trevor Brett and his squad are ordered on a routine mission to observe a village suspected of Vietcong activity. The difference with this mission involved a concoction named VX-99. They were to approach the village and
Banshee
Apr 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
This novel follows Lieutenant Trevor Brett and his original team as they get dosed with VX-99 and the decade or so they are living in the jungle. Jimmy Linh wants to make a name for himself as a journalist so he decides to write a story about Ma Trong, the White Ghost, that is fabled to hunt in the Vietnam jungle. Nick Womack and his team are tasked with finding and bringing Trevor Brett's lone survivor back to the US for further study.

This novel was an excellent addition to the series. The
Sleepless
Dec 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Killer story that reveals the begining of the end time!

Nicholas Sansbury Smith and Tom Abrahams are two brilliant authors who own this genre!
Extinction Red Line is an imaginative backstory of how mankind became doomed! This book develops realistic science to explain the VX99 agent. This is the first time that the mutation sequence made sense to me!
The heart wrenching story of LT Brett, the original variant and his fate to become the not so mythical White Ghost! The Marine is cast as victim of a
Billy Barfield
Dec 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What happens when ?

What happens when you get two authors writing with the same goal in mind. To put out one hell of a read..I tell you what you get .. a badass read. The detail is not wanting , so the horror you feel for Brett is real , the betrayal is real, and the story feels real. Both authors really pulled it the stops on this book..and now we all know how The Extinction Cycle begins..and the tone is set for the whole series..and the tone is Awesomeness.. I have read every book in the series
Cynthia Terrones
Dec 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A MAJOR MUST READ BEFORE BEGINNING ONE AWESOME KICKASS SERIES!!!!

I read this book when it was previously published in Amazons Extinction Cycle Kindle World and I love that Nicholas Sansbury Smith was able to get together with Tom Abrahams and add a little something extra to this book, to bring it full circle as something you would want to read to the start of one awesome series. This book helps you understand a bit more about 1stLt Brett, the man he still was underneath the monster he was made
Cherye Elliott
Dec 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
How it started......

Absolutely love the Extinction books. I was pleasantly surprised to see the announcement of the prequel of this series. Waited impatiently for it's release. This is a story about Lt. Trevor Brett's a Marine who was given a drug to become a super soldier. What a tale Abrahams and Smith has spun.

Super exciting thriller. When you finish enjoy the rest of the story.

Fav quotes....because the words are so powerful.
You, snarled Brett. You did this to me.....
Gibson felt the thick,
Patricia Wilson
Feb 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
One of the best in this series

I'm delighted to admit I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I wasn't sure I would like it since I'm not at all crazy about Smith's Extinction Cycle series. I'm glad I gave this one a try. Mr. Abrahams makes his story move with excitement and fast paced action. I love the character of the reporter, Jimmy Linh. There's one thing for sure, Tom Abrahams can write characters that come alive while putting the reader in an invested relationship, with his characters, that will
Jorge Mata
Dec 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Ive been waiting for the Story of Brett to finally come to life!! This by far in my opinion completes the already great Extinction Cycle series!! NS and TA couldnt have written this any better. Ive gone back to Horizon and intend to finish the series again! I didnt want the story to end and its not going to!

What I really liked about the book was detailed point of view through Brett. You almost feel bad for the guy. He didnt ask to be turned into a creature. The voice inside
His head was great!!
Lynn Hallbrooks
Jan 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
War is known to change people, but what happens in this book is beyond what I would have imagined. Because part of this story deals with war there is the expected violence and adult language.

With the Vietnam Conflict in full swing, young men were drafted including Trevor Brett. He was well-trained and inserted into a mission with specific orders that had unintended consequences. What happened twelve years later is an eye-opener for many.

I really enjoyed how the authors blended their worlds
Jason Seig
Dec 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
A great addition

I have always wanted to know the events following Lt. Trevor Brett's operation bright burn and the beginning of the Extinction series and this short novel bridged the gap nicely. I feel it was cut a little too short and could have continued further into the future to dive into brief introductions of future characters in the series tie in more tightly with the E series.
Maryjo English
Dec 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Amazing as always!

I love the Extinction Cycle of books and hadnt read the RedLine story previously. Even better, this extended re-write is a collaboration between two of my favorite authors. If you have read the series, we only get a glimpse of the Lt Brett storyline. This one will take you through the full story and is a need to read. Thank you gentlemen for another great story.
David Coker
Jan 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Lt. Brett becomes our nightmares

An excellent and frightening prequel to the Extinction Cycle series! The origin of the VX-99 program that started it all. Chilling insights into the tortured life of Trevor Brett, a victim of an insidious secret soldier program and the events that lead our world to the brink.
Michael
Jan 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Best Prequel Ever

This is the best prequel to a series I have ever read. It fits perfectly as if it was always a part of the first book.
If you havent read any of the books I would recommend starting with this one, if you have read any of the other books in the series this is also a must read. An excellent addition to the series.
Carmel McKenzie
Jan 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good read

I liked the book but was annoyed at the character Gibson as he is being totally tunnel visioned and doesn't care about the people only the project. But how true it could be hey!
Jim
Feb 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Was pretty good until the Major drew his "Beretta 1911." I'm a gun guy; Beretta doesn't make 1911s. The Beretta M9 was the 9mm replacement for the .45 caliber 1911 in the US military. Stopped reading at that point.
Loretta Gabriel
Mar 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Very interesting story of a project gone bad

The author has written a very intriguing story about how a scientific experiment goes wrong and the adverse it has and on the subject. A great number of people lost their lives due to this experiment.
Lisa Omstead
Shelves: post-apocalyptic
Grabs you by the throat!
This thrilling origin story to the incredibly popular Extinction Cycle series is a pulse-pounding page turner. Strong characterization. Superior storytelling. A real joy for lovers of the post apocalyptic genre.
PJ Lea
Monster.

Brett is a monster, man made, vicious. He is horrifying yet part of me feels sorry for him because he didn't ask to be turned into the predator that he is.
Perfect story that sets up the series.
PHYL
Feb 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An excellent prequel to the 'Extinction Cycle' series by Nicholas Smith, and his creation of a different and dystopian world. The stories in this book, written by some of the best and well-known authors in post-apocalyptic fiction, and their viewpoints are a perfect blend. Read It!
Stephen Wells
Jan 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Exciting and entertaining prequel

This was a treat after having already read the Nicholas Sansbury Smiths Extinction series. Could easily be enjoyed before reading the series too.
Susan Gould
Apr 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Such a good beginning to an awesome series!!

Wow!! This is so great! So interesting to see where everything begins in this book cycle. Crazy to think how pompous of humans to think we can just go around and play with science.
John Wood
Jan 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excellent story

Very good prequel to the Extinction cycle series and how this story originated. Looking forward to reading more from Tom Abrahams, I've already read everything from Nicholas except Hell Divers 4.
Todd Gers
Apr 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
I like the book, I like the prequel to a great story, I dont like Bronson Pinchot the Audible narrator. Every time Pinchot narrates a female voice it becomes inaudible. I spent the whole time turning the volume up/down depending on the story. ...more

• Satan's Gate (Extinction Survival #2)
  • Lost Valley (Extinction Survival #1)
  • The Rule of Three (Extinction Cycle; Extinction: NZ #1)
  • The Five Pillars (Extinction New Zealand #3)
  • The Fourth Phase (Extinction NZ #2)
  • Emergence (Redemption Trilogy #1)
  • Missions from the Extinction Cycle (Volume 2)
  • ARISEN : Odyssey
  • Resurgence (Redemption Trilogy #3)
  • Dry Gallows (The Tide #9)
  • Devil to Pay (The Tide #8)
  • Penance (Redemption Trilogy #2)
  • The Tide: Final Surge
  • Primal (Lee Harden #3)
  • Rage (Rogue Team International #1)
  • Escaping the Dead (Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, #1)
  • Harden (Lee Harden, #1)
  • Torment (The Soldier #1)
Nicholas Sansbury Smith is the New York Times and USA Today bestselling author of the Hell Divers series. His other work includes the Extinction Cycle series, the Trackers series, and the Orbs series. He worked for Iowa Homeland Security and Emergency Management in disaster planning and mitigation before switching careers to focus on his one true passion--writing. When he isn't writing or ...more

The Extinction Cycle (7 books)
  • Extinction Horizon (The Extinction Cycle, #1)
  • Extinction Edge (The Extinction Cycle, #2)
  • Extinction Age (The Extinction Cycle, #3)
  • Extinction Evolution (The Extinction Cycle, #4)
  • Extinction End (The Extinction Cycle, #5)
  • Extinction Aftermath (The Extinction Cycle, #6)
  • Extinction War (The Extinction Cycle #7)