Start by marking “Consuming Fire” as Want to Read:
Consuming Fire

Consuming Fire

What Has Been Seen Cannot Be Unseen.

Liverpool is in the grip of an intense heatwave, and strange things are happening.

A woman dies in an apparent case of Spontaneous Human Combustion; a truck explodes on the dock road; the charred corpses of pets litter the city; forest fires ravage the pinewoods…and there are birds everywhere, silent flocks drawing in ominously.

Dete
Published February 6th 2019 by Crooked Cat Books

To ask other readers questions about Consuming Fire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Consuming Fire

Start your review of Consuming Fire
Kirsty ❤️
Feb 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is the second book from Catherine Fearns (Reprobation review can be found HERE) and I enjoyed this just as much as the first. I ended up reading both books in 3 days. Although it can be read as a stand alone book the events here take place 6 months after the first book and Darren Swift is now investigating what appear to be cases of spontaneous combustion and links to people trafficking. Former nun, Helen Hope is now lecturing at the university and researching demonology. Someone how the tw ...more
K.S. Marsden
Feb 15, 2019 rated it it was ok
When impossible deaths happen in Liverpool, it is up to DI Darren, and ex-nun Helen to uncover who or what is responsible.

I received a free copy in exchange for an honest review.
This is the second book following Darren and Helen, but it works well as a stand-alone, in the sense that you can come in without previous knowledge (like me).

Darren is a Detective Inspector in his home town of Liverpool, he's engaged to a fireman, with their wedding looming; which puts incr
Jéssica
Feb 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviews
This is the sequel of a book called Reprobation that I had the pleasure of reading, so I was quite excited to go back to this world and follow Dr. Helen as she gets involved in another crime/mystery. Consuming Fire was just as good as Reprobation. Another unique, mind blowing and amazing book.

From the very first page I was puzzled by the case that Detective Inspector Darren Swift brings to Dr. Helen. And what an intriguing case it is, we have a lot more questions than answers because
Caroline Venables
Mar 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book and although it follows on from Reprobation it can easily be read as a standalone. I hadn’t read the first book and I followed it without a problem.

Darren Swift is given the case when a woman suddenly bursts into flames, however he is presented with more questions than answers. He is also dealing with with issues in his personal life as his wedding day approaches.

Puzzled by the case he consults his old friend, Helen, and she finds a disturbing e
Caroline
Aug 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Another cracking instalment in the series that began with reprobation, this one feels more like the story will culminate in the next book whereas book 1 felt more of a complete story. That said all our favourite characters are here again with the same mixture of esoteric and mundane crime that makes for a unique read. Catherine fearns is an author to watch.
Lel Budge
Feb 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: rachels-rr
This is the sequel to Reprobation, but can be read as a standalone though.

The wonderfully gothic introduction chapters are reminiscent of HP Lovecraft or Poe and set the tone for what’s to come…..

Lord Adramelech is a fire demon and the instructions to summon him are in an old book, bound with human skin. There are only two known copies and one is missing.

Set in the present day Liverpool, this starts with the awful death of a woman, by fire, moments after taking a phone c
Jessica Belmont
Feb 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The writing of Consuming Fire is absolutely breathtaking. It’s beautiful and poetic, and makes this novel strange and unique. I’m honestly in awe.

I was immediately drawn into the story and I was taken on a journey that is gripping and addictive. The characters make this novel even better as they are so authentic and relatable.

I did not read the first novel, Reprobation, but I felt Consuming Fire could be read as a standalone. However, because I am just so impressed with C
John Plus
Feb 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a superb book. Read it.
Reprobation was notable for the quality of Catherine Fearns’ writing as well as the complex and original narrative. Her second novel is even better in both respects. Though this is a standalone story, it continues to follow the nascent career of Detective Darren Swift and his unusual partner Sister Helen Hope. Whilst the first book in the series developed Helen’s backstory, with themes of primordial sin and guilt intertwined with her own tragic past, Consumin
Haley Renee The Caffeinated Reader
Another knockout novel by Catherine Fearns! In this one, we continue with this thread of the unknown and supernatural that was introduced so wonderfully in book one and Fearns expands on it while keeping true to this also being a mystery as well. There's once more a lot of theological ideas and they're all put in a way for the readers to understand but it's clear that Fearns has done her research.

This time the focus was more on Darren and even his partner Matt rather than Dr. Helen Hope. I do a
David Meldrum
Feb 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I read the first book by this author and I was so impressed with the beautiful prose and the strangeness of the story, so I was curious to see if the second book could match up. I was enchanted with Consuming Fire . The opening of the book draws you in like a magnet and is reminiscent of an Edgar Allan Poe gothic horror novel, with an academic theologian in Geneva in the 19th century uncovering an ancient book the reading of which could open a Pandora’s box of horror. Then the book jumps to the ...more
Dave Holwill
Apr 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
I was sad that Mikko and Total Depravity didn't make an appearance in this excellent sequel to Reprobation. Another macabre tale of the occult weaving its way into the every day world told masterfully.
Rosemarie
Feb 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Another fantastic novel from Catherine Fearns.

Full review on my blog http://rosemariecawkwell.wordpress.com 17th February 2019
Felicia
When the opening scene includes spontaneous human combustion, you know you’re in for a wild ride.
And that’s exactly what Consuming Fire is.
As law enforcement and first responders (shadowed by bureaucrats) investigate first the burning of animals… and then humans, DI Darren Swift can’t ignore his gut feeling there’s something else in play and contacts former Calvinist nun, Helen Hope.
Scarred by his cultish, religious upbringing, Darren is still surprised at the peace and comfort he
Kath Middleton
Feb 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Four, nudging toward five stars.
The apparent spontaneous combustion of an immigrant cleaner leads DI Darren Swift and his consultant Dr Helen Hope on the train of demons. Each chapter set in present day Liverpool is prefaced by a section from an ancient manuscript, allegedly the writing of Adramelech, who believes himself greater than God and Satan. He is a fire demon and the pair have to consider that he is being summoned. There’s gangland rivalry involved, possible people trafficking, an
Eric Suchyta
Sep 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: series
Consuming Fire has much the same feel as its Reprobation series opener, but book two is also appreciably different in material -- less eschatological, but still plenty of duality and religion inversion abounding. Darren's struggles are brought to the forefront, offering a male-secular mindset to counterbalance Helen's female religious one, one which echoes Hellen's sentiments of overwhelming self doubt and skepticism. I'm very excited to see where Sound will take the series next. (PS: you'll be ...more
Dorothy Latsis
betty.gradneysbcglobal.net
Mar 18, 2019

• Street Cat Blues
  • The Body in Belair Park
  • Checking the Traps (The Isabel Long Mystery Series Book 3)
  • Thicker Than Water (The Village, #1)
  • Sea of Lies (The Village Book, #2)
  • The Plastic Seed
  • The Talisman- Molly's Story  (Life on the Moors Book 2)
  • The Brotherhood (The Abbey #1)
  • Gideon the Ninth (The Locked Tomb, #1)
  • Where The Dead Fall (DI Ridpath #2)
  • The Greenmen (The Hero's Arc #2)
  • The Suspects
  • Dark & Fluffy: Volume II
  • The Sins of the Sire (Dark Highland Passions #1)
  • One Last Prayer for the Rays (DCI Michael Yorke, #1)
  • It Never Goes Away (Brighton's No.1 Private Detective, #3)
  • Sinister (Shaye Archer #2)
  • Dead Inside (Maggie Jamieson, #1)