Start by marking “The Last Lie” as Want to Read:
The Last Lie

The Last Lie

THE TWISTY NEW PSYCHOLOGICAL THRILLER FROM THE BESTSELLING AUTHOR OF AFTER ANNA, KILLING KATE AND COPYCAT

Everyone lies…but some lies are deadly.

Published January 1st 2019 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about The Last Lie, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Last Lie

Lou
Dec 02, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Unfortunately, the first word that sprung to mind when ruminating over this book in the hours after finishing it was patronising. It felt a lot like I was been treated like an imbecile, and the author spelt everything out when it should've been left to the reader to use their powers of deduction to work out the clues given the genre. This constant explaining of even really obvious points was incredibly irksome and interrupted the flow of the writing making it very disjointed. Not only that, but ...more
Jan 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow this book was absolutely brilliant. It had me hooked from start to finish. I loved every page and there was never a dull moment. I figured on quite early what was happening as the author made it pretty obvious but it didn’t change anything for me. Normally if you figure things out early on it can make the story dull but this definitely wasn’t the case with this. It was thoroughly well written with great characters. I have read every Alex Lake book and I’ve always loved them. I already cannot ...more
Mandy White
Jan 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audible, read-in-2019
Wow that was one crazy book... and I loved it!! Hooked from the start with some unbelievably nasty characters.. what's not to love!
Donna Maguire

Having read one of the author's previous books, Copy Cat and loved it, as soon as I saw that this book was available to download I jumped at the chance to get a copy and dove right in as soon as it landed on my Kindle!

I absolutely LOVED this story - I finished this book a little before midnight on the day I started it and I had to do my review straight away - my head was buzzing, it is one of those books that you want to see how it ends but feel genuinely
Julie Parks
Dec 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
I LOVED this. I mean who doesn't love a good husband-against-wife plot these days? The marriage that's supposedly perfect on the outside but, oh so broken on the inside.

The first part of the book dragged a bit and was super predictable, but then things turn around and you realize the author's purposefully set it up like that so that you would be completely thrown off your horse during the second part.

This seemed like a typical Mr. and Mrs. Smith scenario at first but I must say I couldn't guess
Adele Shea
Dec 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you're looking for a book about lies, affairs, murder and deceit then look no further than Alex Lakes, The Last Lie.
A really enjoyable read.
Kate
I read this in one big greedy gulp! I'm not a big fan of psycho thrillers (on the contrary) but I've enjoyed all of Alex Lake's novels and this is possibly my favourite. I could see where it was going and I did work it out but that didn't detract from my enjoyment in the least. 4.5 stars rounded up. Review to follow shortly on For Winter Nights.
Julie Lacey
Dec 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book will have you hooked from the first few chapters.
Claire and Alfie appear to be the perfect couple to their friends and for Claire, life is good except she is desperate to start a family.
We then read a chapter from Alfies’s perspective and realise he doesn’t want children and doesn’t like Claire very much.
He is what I would call, a weasel, and I just wanted Claire to work her way through all his lies. He is so selfish but is a brilliant manipulator.
Something happens and the story is
Rachel Gilbey
Jan 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It seems like any time I sit down with an Alex Lake book, I know I need to shut out the world for a few hours and read it non stop. The Last Lie was no exception, I have no idea what was going on around me for the past 3 hours while I was completely hooked on Alfie and Claire's story. Although looking around I appear to be safe and sound at home, so probably didn't miss much in the real world!

Although due to the level of intensity I felt with the story, I do feel slightly discombobulated as I f
Laura Rash
Dec 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quick enticing read that had me thinking one way but sure flipped around on me. I enjoyed this one a lot.
Maggie61
Claire and Alfie are the “it couple”. They have everything going for them. They have good jobs, money, and a marriage that everyone envies.
But there is one dark cloud in this picture; something missing. A baby. It isn’t like they haven’t tried To have a but it just isn’t happening for them and is starting to affect their relationship. And that isn’t the only dark cloud.
This is a delicious game of cat and mouse. But who’s the cat and who’s the mouse?
I read one of Alex Lake’s previous books “co
YC
Jan 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun, easy, thrilling read
Christina McDonald
An enjoyable cat-and-mouse story between a husband and a wife, I thought The Last Lie was well written with great characters. While there weren't many guesses or twists (probably a testament to how many psych thrillers I read!), it didn't detract in any way from my enjoyment of the story. A quick, fun read.
Megan Jones
Feb 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For Claire Daniels, life is good. She has everything she’s ever wanted – a career she loves, friends she can rely on and a husband who dotes on her. All she needs is to start a family of her own and things will be even better than good. For Alfie, it couldn’t be more different. His life with Claire is built on a lie. Lies she can never find out. Because Alfie has plans for her. Plans which must never come to light. But lies have a way of taking on a life of their own, and when his do, the conseq ...more
Dec 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Book reviews on www.snazzybooks.com

The Last Lie is a really fun read, full of twists and surprises and entertaining characters. It's easy to read and, although some parts were quite obvious, this didn't hamper my enjoyment of it at all.

The characters in this novel are such a mix, from those I truly hated with every fibre of my being to those I was rooting for throughout. The changes in perspective between him and Claire, with the reader never knowing exactly was in the driving seat and who was
michelle
Thank you Netgalley and Harper Collins for a copy of this book. I had read Copy Cat from Alex Lake, so I was intrigued to read this one.
Clare and Alfie seemed to have it all, perfect marriage, jobs and happy to their friends except for one thing. Claire yearns for a child. They try for a child but they seem to be having problems so Claire books an appointment with Doctor Singh.
Alfie starts getting concerned about how much Claire is going about to conceive. What she doesn’t know is, the true fee
Madeline
Jan 18, 2019 rated it liked it
The Author Let Go of the Reins!

The story held my interest for the first half. Then this ride began to veer off course and the characters became less realistic. One main character suddenly became a very revengeful person and seemed to lose her identity in ways that just didn’t jibe with who she was. The other character continued to be a psychopathic sociopath but since he had always been this way, it was difficult to swallow that no one ever noticed in his entire life that he was a bit off. By th
Unidentified
Dec 31, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
My first thriller I've picked up in a long time and although I hadn't researched or heard much about it to begin with and went in with an open mind I was sorely disappointed. The story is explanatory rather than descriptive and instead of letting the story unfold for the readers it has to be explained through dialogue that often seem pointless and interjected. Furthermore a new set of characters were introduced, with their own POV, only a few chapters before the ending. The twist of this story h ...more
Nicole
Second half was a bit predictable, but great writing, solid storyline, and solid main characters. This was a fun read. Alphie was the typical narcissist through and through, always wearing the mask, with sociopathic tendencies to boot. I've encountered one character in my life that was a lot like that and it took a long time for the mask to slip so far off that i was certain. Usually there is more grey and they do have an ounce of fractured feelings in there somewhere near their fractured lack o ...more
peggy
I have already read several books from this author and was looking forward to this book. I was so disappointed. The story was predictable and the ending held no surprises. It was repetitive and frankly annoying. I felt as though i the reader was being treated like a child. The author was firmly holding my hand when all i wanted to do was explore on my own and make my own decisions. I found it a struggle to finish this book.
I would like to thank Netgalley and HarperCollins UK for the ARC of this
Me
Jan 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The publisher sent me this book free of charge in return for an honest review. This is an excellent twisty psychological thriller that will leave you guessing until the end. Featuring Claire, a youngish wife raised in the lap of luxury, with a great job, and an adoring husband, has everything she could ever want with the exception of a baby. Soon, things take a downward spiral and the characters appear to be under siege from a man who doesn't exist except electronically. The use of pseudonyms an ...more
Rebecca
“The Last Lie” is a gripping thriller, but it’s not a tough read. I sped through the pages and looked forward to picking this up each day. Predictable and unrealistic at times but still an enjoyable 3 stars.

Thanks to Harper Collins for sending me this copy.

My full review is up on my blog now: https://whatrebeccasread.wordpress.co...
Tiffany
Jan 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mercy Sakes
Jan 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic. Claire and Alfie. One pure as the driven snow (maybe), the other pure unadulterated avarice and bad. The ways split, split some more than collide together. Read most of this in one setting. Now breathe.
I saw all the twists coming which made it a less than enjoyable read.
Danielle Eveleigh
Loved this from the very start!! Add it to your list!
Junipa
Feb 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed this book. Turned out different from my expectation. It wasn't the gripping, page turner I thought it would be but I enjoyed it nevertheless.
Mrs Mommy Booknerd http://mrsmommybooknerd.blogspot.com
#FirstLine ~ Part One: Claire Daniels stood on the tiled floor of the bathroom ans stared into the mirror.

This was an intense read. I love it cover to cover. Not only was it well paced, the characters were those worth reading about! I was completely entertained from cover to cover. I also enjoyed that it was a fast read. You could read this in one day because you won't want to put it down!
Serena Louise
Feb 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller-mystery
Claire and Alfie have the perfect marriage - at least on the outside. Lake's novel of lies, deceit and marriage fall outs is taken to a new level in this twisty thriller. This is my first novel of Lake's and I am blown away by the plot and twists that unfold in this book.
I was hooked straight away. The villain in plain sight and I loved Alfie's chapters which show us his true feelings without being too much telling or on the outside of the story. It really gets going when Alfie takes a menacing
Jenny Cooper
Feb 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-club
Claire Daniels has married Alfie, the man of her dreams, and she couldn’t be happier. The only fly in the ointment is that they haven’t yet managed to start a family. From Alfie’s perspective things are rather different. He has married Claire as part of a longer term game plan and the whole relationship is based on lies, lots and lots of lies. But lies seem to have a way of finding you out and when cracks start to appear, Alfie’s plan is in danger of unravelling at an alarming rate.

As psychologi
  • Temper
  • A Mother’s Sacrifice
  • He Will Find You
  • The First Mistake
  • Darling
  • Before She Was Found
  • Hush Hush (DS Grace Allendale, #1)
  • The Haunted
  • Say Say Say
  • Two Little Girls (Jessie Flynn, #3)
  • Dear Wife
  • I'll Be Watching You
  • Someone Knows
  • Friend of the Family
  • The Stranger Inside
  • The Second Wife
  • Hush
  • The Other Room
Alex Lake is a British novelist who was born in the North West of England. After Anna, the author’s first novel written under this pseudonym, was a No.1 bestselling ebook sensation and a top-ten Sunday Times bestseller. The author now lives in the North East of the US.