Start by marking “The Things I Know” as Want to Read:
The Things I Know

The Things I Know

From bestselling author Amanda Prowse comes a heartwarming tale of first impressions and lasting love.

Thomasina ‘Hitch’ Waycott loves living and working on the remote family farm and B&B. But she also wants more. To see the world. To own her own home. To fall madly in love.

Published June 11th 2019 by Lake Union Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Things I Know, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Things I Know

Start your review of The Things I Know
Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice*
EXCERPT: These are the things I know...

I know my name is Thomasina 'Hitch' Waycott.

I know I'm not like everyone else.

I know I was born a little bit different, like someone held the instructions upside down, or lost a part when they opened the box.

I also know that words are powerful things and they have weight.

I know certain words have sat in my stomach for as long as I can remember and weigh so much that when i am in a crowd or meet som
Amanda
Jun 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Having read and loved several of Amanda Prowse’s books I was so excited to have this and couldn’t wait to dive straight into this story.

“My name is Thomasina (Hitch). I know I’m not like everyone else” Hitch is living on her parents farm helping to run their B&B but dreams of travelling and falling in love. Growing up was difficult as she was called horrid names as she looks different from anyone else with her scarred lip and twisted foot. Children can be so cruel but sadly adults were as b
May 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Thomasina is a truly wonderful character. I absolutely loved her and felt like we were firm friends by the end of the story. She has had to overcome a lot in her life and put up with more than most. My heart went out to her with how some people treat her and I just wanted to wrap her up and keep her safe of which I soon realised was exactly what she doesn’t want or need.

Mid twenties and still living at home with her parents on the farm, you could quite easily forgive Thomasina for dr
Shalini
Jun 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am writing this review with tears flowing down my eyes. Every single line of this book resonated with me. I could see myself in the main character Thomasina, who was born a little different with a cleft lip, weak heart, and deformity of hand and foot. (mine are not outwardly physical, but they are there).

Operated in childhood for the cleft lip, the doc did a terrible job with suturing and she was nicknamed Hitch for that scar. (I had for 3 heart surgeries more than twenty years ago, and the d
Bambi Rathman
May 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I fell in love with this story! It's a story about Thomasina (Hitch) Waycott and her struggle in life to be accepted. She has been made fun of and ridiculed her whole because of the way she looks. Different from all the other "normal" people but her heart is tender. All she wants is to be loved and cared for unconditionally.
I really liked the character of Thomasina. My heart went out to her and I really hurt with her when she was taunted so badly. I wanted to be her friend and show her that she
Windi
Another endless cycle of depressing and bleak conversation and plot. Started with a promise of great reading and quickly fizzled to the same old hamster wheel of a plot going nowhere and character not very like-able. This is of course my own opinion and may not be shared by others.
I received a complimentary copy of this book through Netgalley. Opinions expressed are absolutely my own.
Deanne Patterson
Sep 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Deanne by: cnnamongirl@aol.com
Very heartwarming and may even make you cry!
The girl who was born different with her outward deformities who chooses to think she is not good enough for love, it is for others not me she thinks. When she learns to stop judging herself and worrying about what others think of her she realizes she more than measures up and she just may find love as well!

Published June 11th 2019 by Lake Union Publishing
I was given a complimentary copy of this book. Thank you.
All opinions expressed
Jeanniehay64
May 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If you’re looking for a book that leaves you with a warm fuzzy feeling The things I know is the one for you. I am a huge Amanda Prowse fan and she has written another winner!!

The main character Thomasina (Hitch) is a girl faced with many difficulties but all she wishes for is to feel pretty, find love and wear pretty sparkly shoes. She lives at Walcott farm with her caring family and beloved chickens and faithful dog.

Grayson arrives to stay on the farm and Thomasina
Lisa Aiello
Jul 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: womens-fiction
There are books that make you think. There are books that make you feel. There are books that make you laugh. There are books that charm you. Every now and then, you find one that does all of these. It grabs you right around the kneecaps and takes you to the ground. This is one of those!! Amanda Prowse writes with such empathy, understanding and honesty. I spend all my time with my hand to my chest and a smile on my face, as I immerse myself in characters so genuine and compelling that sometimes ...more
Joanne
May 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Things I Know is another beautiful love story from Amanda Prowse. It tells the story of Thomasina ‘Hitch’ Waycott and Grayson Potts. At the end of each chapter, Thomasina writes in her journal about the things she knows. I’m sure I’ll not be the only reviewer to write their thoughts this way, but I thought it seemed a good way to layout my review.

So in the style of Thomasina, these are the things I know…

I know that Amanda Prowse has a real knack for creating character
Em Yarnell
May 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The things I know...
...this book is full of happiness and sadness and hope.
As a parent of 2 children with additional needs, one with a very rare chromosome disorder, I can relate to the family in so many different ways. I love a book that I can get emotionally invested in and this one really tugged at the heartstrings in so many brilliant ways. The characters, especially Hitch and her cousin are incredible. I really enjoyed the dynamics of the relationships between the family members and
Cathy Ryan
Jun 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Although Thomasina (aka Hitch) Waycott loves her parents, her younger brother, her chickens, her dog, and enjoys working on the family farm, she feels life is passing her by. Her parents have always been overly protective of her, understandably perhaps, and Thomasina recognises it’s because of the challenges she faces. They don’t want to see her get hurt, physically or otherwise, but she’s desperate for a little independence, to be accepted for herself and not be defined by the way she looks. Ju ...more
Liz
Jul 19, 2019 rated it liked it
I feel a little disappointed after reading this latest novel by Amanda Prowse, it’s not as gripping or intense as I’ve come to expect from reading lots of her previous books. I did like the two main characters and had sympathy for the situations they found themselves in but the plot was a little underwhelming and the ending predictable.

Moony MeowPoff
Jul 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I recived this ARC in exhange for a honest review by NetGalley

"You make me feel beautiful" -Thomasina

You know when you just sit back, and feel your heart swell a few sizes Grinch-style and you just loved every part of the book? That is how i feel, right at this moment. ARcs are very hit and miss, but sometimes you hit gold, and for me this was one of them.

"Because life was all about courage, about making the changes that would make you happy, and taking chances, recongnising/>"You
Katie
Jul 29, 2019 rated it liked it
Thank you to Net Galley for very generously sending me a free kindle copy of this book in exchange for a honest review.

This was the first book by Amanda Prowse which I’ve read. She has a lovely and warm style of writing and the main characters Thomasina and Grey were lovable and you couldn’t help liking them and rooting for them. I enjoyed the story however sometimes I did forget that it was set in recent times. The farm setting sometimes made it seem a little dated. Overall an enjoy
Kelly
May 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Amanda Prowse is one of my absolute favourite authors and I always pick up her books when I am looking for a book to immerse myself into and this book was no exception.

Amanda writes with such passion and relevance her books never fail to pull you in from the first few pages. The Things I Know introduces you to the lovely Thomasina (Hitch), giving you an insight into her life on her families beloved Waycott farm with Daphne her favourite chicken and her faithful dog Buddy.

Nicola Short
May 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
A beautiful and heartwarming love story of two people, Thomasina and Grayson, who are considered a “bit different” to others. Their story will pull on your heartstrings as you watch the instant connection they make with each other when they first meet. Their story is full of overcoming life’s obstacles and proving that you can do anything if you put your mind to it. A truly touching, powerful, empowering story that I highly recommend you read.
Many thanks to NetGallery, the publisher and author,
Clare

With thanks to Netgalley and Amazon for this ARC in exchange for an open and honest review.

The Things I know is the third book I have written from Amanda Prowse. I think Thomasina `Hitch` Waycott is my favourite protagonist ever.

Hitch was born prematurely with a host of birth defects. For as long as she could remember everyone called her Hitch because of a scar on her mouth when she had cleft palate surgery. I wanted to be Hitch`s friend when I read this.......

Linda
Jun 15, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviews
I have read and loved several of Amanda Prowse’s books. They are so full of raw emotions and will leave you breathless. I’ve shed many tears while reading some of the best books ever. That being said I am very sad to say that this one just didn’t do it for me. It fell way short of my expectations. I didn’t like any of the characters other than Thomasina/Hitch and Grayson. I liked Jonathan a little. Hated Emery even later on. Thomasina’s mother seemed way to cold and Grayson’s was just awful. Kin ...more
Adele Shea
Jun 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I just adored this book. Most definitely my favourite Amanda Prowse book. It shows that it's ok to be different and that there is love out there for everyone making you "The me I'm supposed to be".
Ritu Bhathal
May 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I do love Amanda Prowse and her books. Ever since I read the first one, I have been hooked, and I was really looking forward to this new one.

Delving into the mind and world of Thomasina, or Hitch, as she is known, and reading about her meeting Grayson, and falling in love, felt like a privilege.

I have to commend Amanda for executing the nuances of this novel with such sympathy and grace. The thoughts and feelings of someone with a disability, but a person who is like ever
R
Jun 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Things I Know was a great story about courage, strength, and finding your happiness. Thomasina Waycott was born with a few challenges like a claw foot, a cleft palate and lip problems. While others teased and bullied her, Thomasina’s family fiercely protected her. Working on the Waycott farm with her parents, Thomasina yearned for new adventures. She also wanted someone to share her life with. When Grayson Potts stayed at her farm for a few days, they both felt the commonality of not exactly ...more
Teresa
Jun 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

But those are fairy tales, and if her life is a fairy tale, then she’s the ugly duckling. Her deformed lip, her crooked limbs and her weak heart have kept her from taking chances. But that’s about to change.

When Grayson Potts comes to stay, he’s unlike anyone Thomasina has ever met. He’s aloof, ecce
Renee
Jun 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-stars, first-love
This is the first book I've ever read by Amanda Prowse and I'm now a huge fan!

The Things I Know is a story of a physically impaired woman, Thomasina, who has always been treated as if she were a freak. She has secret wishes and desires to be someone else, but never realizes she can be until Grayson Potts comes along.

Grayson and Thomasina fall in love and learn from each other that life can be so much more than what you were brought up to believe. He's the first person in Thomasina's
Cynthia
Jun 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great Story

I won a copy of this book from Goodreads giveaways and was not required to give a favorable review. This is truly a story of overcoming others opinions and finding your true self. I enjoyed it.
Dee Ownbey
Jun 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
Such a sweet story with your not so typical characters. Even though nothing crazy exciting happened it was a smooth sweet story all the way through.
Kellie
Jun 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
These are the things I know...

I know this is an utterly gorgeous book.

I know that this is my first read from Amanda Prowse but it definitely won’t be my last!

I know that my heart is warmed from reading this beautiful love story.

I know that I’m very sad that I can’t keep reading this book.

A love story between two awkward misfits who met by chance and together brought out the best in each other and enriched not just their own lives but th
Karen Whittard
May 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
All the things that I know about this book.

I know that Amanda is an amazing story teller.

I know that Amanda has a wonderful way of writing a story. That you will take to your heart and remember forever.

I know that Hitch’s parents have tried to do what they felt was best for Hitch.

I know that they tried to protect her against the people of the world that would only see her disabilities and not see the beautiful person that she is inside.

I also know that this might not have helped Hitch to be
Jena Henry
Jun 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thomasina Hitch Waycott is a young adult who lives with her loving family on a small farm in England near Bristol. “Hitch” was born with some ailments and difficulties, including a cleft lip and palate, that was later awkwardly repaired (and sadly, resulted in the nickname “Hitch”). In spite of all that, she is an active participant on the farm- helping with chores, the B&B guests, and caring for her chicken friends. But sometimes the safe cocoon that her parents have created for her feels t ...more
Nic
May 27, 2019 rated it liked it
⭐⭐⭐ 3 easy to read stars

Not one of my favourites by the author I’m afraid. I think possibly because her other books have a twist, a sadness, that really gets to you. But I didn’t feel that with this one.

Gray and Thom were such simplistic characters for pretty much the whole book, and then the end turned into a hallmark movie, all sweetness, happy endings all tied up nicely with everyone having a personality and character re-evaluation.

The book however is easy to read. ...more

• The Bottle of Tears
  • Come Back For Me
  • A Thousand Roads Home
  • If Only I Could Tell You
  • The Lemon Tree Hotel
  • The Postcard (The Note, #2)
  • One Last Summer
  • The Forgotten Village
Amanda Prowse was a management consultant for ten years before realising that she was born to write. Amanda lives in the West Country with her husband and their two teenage sons.
“and destroying my belief in God!” 0 likes