Start by marking “The Worst Is Yet to Come” as Want to Read:
The Worst Is Yet to Come

The Worst Is Yet to Come

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  103 ratings  ·  31 reviews
For most of her fourteen years, Tasha Davis has languished in the rural-suburban town of Skillute, Washington. Her parents offer plenty of comfortable—if stifling—emotional support, but what she needs is a best friend.

In her final year at Clark Middle School, Tasha meets a strange, new classmate. Briar Kenny is the self-styled rebel Tasha wants to be, and the Davises are
Paperback, Soft Cover, 208 pages
Published February 22nd 2019 by Trepidatio Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Worst Is Yet to Come, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Worst Is Yet to Come

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of The Worst Is Yet to Come
Char
Small town living-it's just the best, right? There's none of that violence you hear about in big cities and the people are friendlier too or so we've all heard. Unfortunately, none of that applies to Skillute.

A couple and their young daughter move to Skillute for exactly the reasons listed above. But Skillute is a dying town, and as it turns out? The people are really not that friendly. Especially, if like the Davis family, you're coming from liberal-town USA. It's not only the politics of the
Jack Tripper
Mar 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror, weird
I'm upping my rating from 4 to 5 stars, even though I almost set the book down for good about 35 pages in. You ever read a novel where it seems as if the author inserts themselves at brief moments in order to spout their political and moral beliefs? That always breaks the immersion for me, even if I happen to agree with those views. And that happened here, big time, totally sucking me out of the story. Luckily I stuck with it, as this was one of the best "small town horror" tales I've read in ...more
Sadie Hartmann Mother Horror
I have so many excited thoughts!! I'm struggling to gather them all up and know where I want to start with this review.
*settling down*
Okay, let's just start with some facts. This is my introduction to S.P. Miskowski's work and after devouring this book, I know I'll be browsing her other titles.
Also, what a treat that I just moved to Tacoma, WA and this tale is nestled in the heart of rural, small towns just on the fringes of Destiny City.
Most importantly, this story has so many secrets.
I'm
Kimberly
I am so torn with this book! On one hand, the writing and characterization was fantastic. I felt that it was easy to differentiate between the time periods when we occasionally were taken back to witness a past scene. The best was the feeling that you KNEW and UNDERSTOOD the two main teens in this tale, Tasha and Briar.

I loved the little threads woven throughout that later piece together to create a greater whole. I believe that the biggest problem--for me--was that I was aware that there was
Tracy Robinson
Jan 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
My review on www.scifiandscary.com

I have a deep and abiding love for beautiful and clever book covers. Yes, I know – the story is important – but when they are well done, so much is added to the overall experience of reading. The cover art created by Mikio Murakami is remarkable. After reading, I saw the subtle connections between the cover and what unraveled in the writing.

This book is set in the town of Skillute, Washington, a place that Miskowski has used for several other stories as well. I
Angel Gelique
Definitely entertaining and engrossing but the end seemed too rush and I felt that there was too much left unresolved.
Suzanne Morrison
Dec 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I can never seem to take my time with one of S.P. Miskowski’s novels or stories. I invariably tear through them, skipping meals and staying up too late to find out what’s going to happen to her all-too-human characters. Once I enter one of her worlds, I don’t want to leave. That’s exactly what happened with The Worst is Yet to Come; I sat down to read a chapter or two in the mid-afternoon and didn’t stop reading till it was dark and I was thoroughly freaked out. Miskowski’s Skillute is a place I ...more
Spencer
Dec 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
S.P. Miskowski returns to the fictional town of Skillute in 'The Worst is Yet to Come' along with the darkness that lurks within the shadowy corners of the town...

The writing is absolutely fantastic, I adored the characters and the setting and felt instantly connected to both. The cast, especially Tasha and Kim felt very real - Tasha reminded me of my own sisters when they were younger.

The story depicts the usual and not-so-usual problems of two teenage girls but also as a contrast to this the
Mike Thorn
Dec 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Miskowski oscillates masterfully between insights into adolescent alienation and painfully adult revelations about regret and self-deception. Come for the perfectly mounted thriller plot, stay for the connective tissue—the ups and downs of relationships, trauma, disappointment, boredom and introspection.

Full review
Janet
Jan 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If you have traveled through S.P. Miskowski's Skillute before you know that evil resides there. Not just the occasional psycho passing through; not just more than the average number of inexplicable tragedies. Evil thrives in Skillute. Evil is Skillute or Skillute is evil. The classic which came first, and does it really matter.

For generations Skillute has fed off its homegrown source of corruptible citizens. Evil always turns on evil and so neighbor turned on neighbor, then husband turned on
Emily
Mar 02, 2019 rated it liked it
"We're not defined by other people unless we want to be. Try to remember that."

3.5

I am so torn on how to write this review. I loved the concept of this story, and SP Miskowski wrote a very captivating story. The characters were interesting, and I was dying to see how the story would unravel. However, in the end, I was left feeling dissatisfied, and like too many pieces were missing.

Vague storylines are hit or miss for me. Sometimes I feel like the perfect amount of information is given so that
Vincenzo Bilof
Mar 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing

For the most part, I am not convinced horror novels can actually be “scary”. They can, however, be unsettling, and The Worst is Yet to Come by S. P. Miskowski is a novel that truly makes terror feel like a personal experience. Audiences who enjoyed the 2018 horror film Hereditary will instantly connect with this work, as the complexity of the horror within the narrative unfolds through the haunted lives of people who attempted, sometimes in vain, to make the family dynamic functional.

The novel
Sam Edwards
Mar 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
As a writer, I envy S.P. Miskowski. No one should be able to do what she does. Even as she meanders away from the plot, taking us down some memory or long description of a rapidly changing Skillute, things manage to stay impactful and important. It's all in the telling, and Miskowski tells it like a spider. By the time the reader is so engrossed in the story the threads begin to connect and snap. And then, then it's too late.

I WILL say, though this can be read independently of the Skillute
Cassandra
Oct 23, 2019 rated it did not like it
There are three things a story needs: a beginning, a middle, and an end. One of these three things is missing. the reader is left hanging with no understanding.
A story also needs to be lived in the moment. This 'story' is more backstory, huge great lumps of it from chapter 2 to the last chapter, so that it becomes something that either started in the wrong place, or needed a bit more effort to work things into the immediacy more smoothly (and less, less, less of it).
Oh, and depth to the
Andrew Violette
Mar 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This novel has a slow build to one of the more messed up endings ever
Ryan
Mar 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My introduction to the world of Misowski and it won’t be my last. The small town environment created a dark, engaging, and frantic atmosphere. The character interactions were heartwarming in one chapter and disturbing and abysmal the next.
Bruce Baugh
Feb 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There's a region between Portland, Oregon, and Puget Sound with farms and small towns. Many of them were at first more or less self-sufficient, but before the 20th century was even underway, they were getting incorporated into webs of commercial and industrial activity that covered the whole Pacific Northwest and beyond. Sometimes they got to share in boom times, and sometimes they got hosed not because of anything wrong where they were but because of slumps and calamities far away. Sometimes ...more
David Thirteen
S.P. Miskowski’s characters may seem simple at first but the more you delve, the more they become thorny briar patches of dubious morality, causing the reader to question both their attachment to the character as well as themselves. This is the second novel of hers I’ve read, and it makes me wonder if she ever lets the reader off the hook or does she always hold our feet to the coals.

The Worst is Yet to Come left me conflicted. Without a doubt, it is a thought-provoking, dreadful horror story
Heather
Feb 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My only quibble with this story is that events move a little quickly–the opposite of my take on Knock Knock. Briar barely has the chance to be established as a character in our minds before Miskowski messes with her. Because of this she’s a little hollow as characters go.

Kim, Tasha’s mother, on the other hand, ends up taking center stage. She isn’t very likable once the details start to emerge, but that suits her place in this story. She was an aspiring painter who gave up her dreams because her
Ian Welke
S.P. Miskowski is one of my favorite writers, particularly for the craftsmanship of her writing. She always seems to use the perfect word or phrase and without the phrasing getting in the way of the narrative. It makes total immersion in the story an effortless process for the reader.

The Worst Is Yet To Come is set in Skillute, Washington, a town she created, fictitious yet I could swear I have been there… Like the other stories she’s written set in this town, there’s an ever present set of
brianna
I feel like half this book was missing. It was well written and it's very clear Miskowski is a talented writer, but so many of the ideas were just not fleshed out enough. There's something to be said for ambiguity and letting your audience figure it out but this felt like so much just wasn't there and left me wanting more. Not necessarily explanations but a meatier story.
Laurel
Nov 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Every wonderful thing I've heard about S.P. Miskowski's writing is true - this is a beautifully, concisely written tale of subtle horror. Quite a few elements I enjoyed reading, well drawn characters, and the resolution was a surprise, but one that made sense.
Amanda McReynolds
Mar 18, 2019 rated it liked it
I wanted to like the book, but it was very all over the place without seeming to have a major reason. There were several story lines going on, some of which did not have an actual resolution, which is why the book scored low for me.
Bryce Warren
Mar 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror
There is much more to this story than meets the eye. On the surface it is a story of Tasha whose new best friend Briar is an incredibly bad influence. But the mystery from the past turns this story on its head. S.P. Miskowski is a horror writer to watch. A great new discovery!
Damien Angelica Walters
Apr 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Absolutely chilling!
Leandro
Jul 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book! I really like the way it was written. Although, I feel there are things unresolved or poorly worked in the end, which had the chance to improve much more the story.
Becky
May 26, 2019 rated it liked it
Tasha has never had a best friend. Until she met Briar.

Tasha officially meets the new girl at school while saving her from bullying between classes. They skip out, wandering the town of Skillute and immediately bonding.

Tasha’s mother isn’t a fan of Briar, convinced she’s not the right kind of friend for her daughter. Her husband feels differently, glad their daughter finally has a friend at all. What neither they nor Tasha and Briar know, though, is that Skillute has a dark history that preys
liz williams
Jan 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
my review can be found at: https://scariesthings.com/2019/02/12/...

he Worst is Yet to Come is the latest novel by multiple Shirley Jackson Award nominee, S.P. Miskowski to be set in the fictional Pacific Northwest town of Skillute. It is the story of Briar Kenny who has moved to town with her mother and her mother’s boyfriend Rayburn and become the new girl at Clark middle school. She is befriended by fellow classmate Tasha Davis, “the first girl who’d ever regarded Briar with something other
Tim Nowotny
May 19, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5

I really liked the first 2/3 of this book. Great horror coming from characters and a bit of juxtaposition of horror with real world (horrific) experiences.
Unfortunately, the ending fell flat for me especially as it could have been so great. It felt rushed, characters made sudden (dumb & passive) decisions and I would have loved the „big bad“ to be explored in greater detail.
Lydian Faust
Damn, this was good. I'm now going to have to devour everything Miskowski has written. The Worst is Yet to Come is a delightfully twisty gothic full of supernatural horror and engrossing drama. The characters are fully-fleshed, the dialog effortless, and the realistic elements of the setting and plot interplay beautifully with the paranormal elements. I love the open threads and unresolved ending. Makes me want more.

• The Twisted Ones
  • Violet
  • The Bone Weaver's Orchard
  • Sefira and Other Betrayals
  • The Toll
  • Fire & Rain (The Fearing #1)
  • The Reddening
  • The Dark Game
  • The Invited
S.P. Miskowski is a recipient of two National Endowment for the Arts Fellowships. Her stories have been published in Supernatural Tales, Black Static, Identity Theory, Strange Aeons and Eyedolon Magazine, and in numerous anthologies including Haunted Nights, The Madness of Dr. Caligari, October Dreams 2, Autumn Cthulhu, The Hyde Hotel, Darker Companions: Celebrating 50 Years of Ramsey Campbell, ...more
“The fact is, you can’t do everything. Everyone says you can, but you can’t. You have to decide what you want most and commit to it.” 0 likes