Start by marking “The Worst Is Yet to Come” as Want to Read:
The Worst Is Yet to Come

The Worst Is Yet to Come

For most of her fourteen years, Tasha Davis has languished in the rural-suburban town of Skillute, Washington. Her parents offer plenty of comfortable—if stifling—emotional support, but what she needs is a best friend.

In her final year at Clark Middle School, Tasha meets a strange, new classmate. Briar Kenny is the self-styled rebel Tasha wants to be, and the Davises are t
Paperback, Soft Cover, 208 pages
Published February 22nd 2019 by Trepidatio Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Worst Is Yet to Come, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Worst Is Yet to Come

Start your review of The Worst Is Yet to Come
Jack Tripper
Mar 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: weird, horror
I'm upping my rating from 4 to 5 stars, even though I almost set the book down for good about 35 pages in. You ever read a novel where it seems as if the author inserts themselves at brief moments in order to spout their political and moral beliefs? That always breaks the immersion for me, even if I happen to agree with those views. And that happened here, big time, totally sucking me out of the story. Luckily I stuck with it, as this was one of the best "small town horror" tales I've read in re ...more
Char
Small town living-it's just the best, right? There's none of that violence you hear about in big cities and the people are friendlier too or so we've all heard. Unfortunately, none of that applies to Skillute.

A couple and their young daughter move to Skillute for exactly the reasons listed above. But Skillute is a dying town, and as it turns out? The people are really not that friendly. Especially, if like the Davis family, you're coming from liberal-town USA. It's not only the politics of the
Bark  |  Ladies Of Horror Fiction
I wrote a review. It's a freaking miracle.

4 1/2 bumping up to 5 because Goodreads will never split a star for us. I love you GR but why do you make us suffer like this?

“This is the one. She’s no good, you’ll see.” (Ooops, I feel called out, lol)

Tasha doesn’t have any close friends. She doesn’t fit the mold of the overly tanned and waxed crew in her school and when she catches the eye of new girl Briar, she feels an instant kinship and steps in when she spies her getting harassed by the class bul
Sadie Hartmann
Feb 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I have so many excited thoughts!! I'm struggling to gather them all up and know where I want to start with this review.
*settling down*
Okay, let's just start with some facts. This is my introduction to S.P. Miskowski's work and after devouring this book, I know I'll be browsing her other titles.
Also, what a treat that I just moved to Tacoma, WA and this tale is nestled in the heart of rural, small towns just on the fringes of Destiny City.
Most importantly, this story has so many secrets.
I'm grinn
Kimberly
I am so torn with this book! On one hand, the writing and characterization was fantastic. I felt that it was easy to differentiate between the time periods when we occasionally were taken back to witness a past scene. The best was the feeling that you KNEW and UNDERSTOOD the two main teens in this tale, Tasha and Briar.

I loved the little threads woven throughout that later piece together to create a greater whole. I believe that the biggest problem--for me--was that I was aware that there was MU
Tracy Robinson
Jan 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
My review on www.scifiandscary.com

I have a deep and abiding love for beautiful and clever book covers. Yes, I know – the story is important – but when they are well done, so much is added to the overall experience of reading. The cover art created by Mikio Murakami is remarkable. After reading, I saw the subtle connections between the cover and what unraveled in the writing.

This book is set in the town of Skillute, Washington, a place that Miskowski has used for several other stories as well. I
Angel Gelique
Definitely entertaining and engrossing but the end seemed too rush and I felt that there was too much left unresolved.
Suzanne Morrison
Dec 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I can never seem to take my time with one of S.P. Miskowski’s novels or stories. I invariably tear through them, skipping meals and staying up too late to find out what’s going to happen to her all-too-human characters. Once I enter one of her worlds, I don’t want to leave. That’s exactly what happened with The Worst is Yet to Come; I sat down to read a chapter or two in the mid-afternoon and didn’t stop reading till it was dark and I was thoroughly freaked out. Miskowski’s Skillute is a place I ...more
Spencer
Dec 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
S.P. Miskowski returns to the fictional town of Skillute in 'The Worst is Yet to Come' along with the darkness that lurks within the shadowy corners of the town...

The writing is absolutely fantastic, I adored the characters and the setting and felt instantly connected to both. The cast, especially Tasha and Kim felt very real - Tasha reminded me of my own sisters when they were younger.

The story depicts the usual and not-so-usual problems of two teenage girls but also as a contrast to this the
Mike Thorn
Dec 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Miskowski oscillates masterfully between insights into adolescent alienation and painfully adult revelations about regret and self-deception. Come for the perfectly mounted thriller plot, stay for the connective tissue—the ups and downs of relationships, trauma, disappointment, boredom and introspection.

Full review
Carla Remy
Apr 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
Miskowski seems to understand that real fear comes with confusion and uncertainty. The wealth of details here are all interesting, and if they combine in an inscrutable nest, all the scarier. I read her Knock Knock which takes place in the same place, and that was creepy (I don't feel this often, so notable). Both novels deal with the horror of motherhood. ...more
Janet
Jan 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If you have traveled through S.P. Miskowski's Skillute before, you know that evil resides there. Not just the occasional psycho passing through; not just more than the average number of inexplicable tragedies. Evil thrives in Skillute. Evil is Skillute or Skillute is evil. The classic which came first, and does it really matter.

For generations Skillute has fed off its homegrown source of corruptible citizens. Evil always turns on evil and so neighbor turned on neighbor, then husband turned on wi
Emily
Mar 02, 2019 rated it liked it
"We're not defined by other people unless we want to be. Try to remember that."

3.5⭐

I am so torn on how to write this review. I loved the concept of this story, and SP Miskowski wrote a very captivating story. The characters were interesting, and I was dying to see how the story would unravel. However, in the end, I was left feeling dissatisfied, and like too many pieces were missing.

Vague storylines are hit or miss for me. Sometimes I feel like the perfect amount of information is given so that
Vincenzo Bilof
Mar 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing

For the most part, I am not convinced horror novels can actually be “scary”. They can, however, be unsettling, and The Worst is Yet to Come by S. P. Miskowski is a novel that truly makes terror feel like a personal experience. Audiences who enjoyed the 2018 horror film Hereditary will instantly connect with this work, as the complexity of the horror within the narrative unfolds through the haunted lives of people who attempted, sometimes in vain, to make the family dynamic functional.

The novel
Sara Tantlinger
Feb 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
3.5* rounded up. I am so torn on this book! Miskowski's writing is without a doubt, exceptional. The sharpness in her craft and the way she uses words made me devour this book. The characters are so compelling, and though I'm not the biggest fan of a lot of headhopping/POVs in a book, Miskowski does it so well that it seemed seamless, which is impressive and masterful.

But I wanted more from the ending. I'm not sure if there is a follow-up to this novel planned, but I would read it immediately i
Bruce Baugh
Feb 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There's a region between Portland, Oregon, and Puget Sound with farms and small towns. Many of them were at first more or less self-sufficient, but before the 20th century was even underway, they were getting incorporated into webs of commercial and industrial activity that covered the whole Pacific Northwest and beyond. Sometimes they got to share in boom times, and sometimes they got hosed not because of anything wrong where they were but because of slumps and calamities far away. Sometimes th ...more
Jo Kaplan
Mar 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A searing little book that never lets up - with beautifully drawn, relatable characters, a sense of unrelenting dread, and a refusal to pull any punches. Miskowski is incredibly skilled at her craft, and it shows.
Sam Edwards
Mar 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
As a writer, I envy S.P. Miskowski. No one should be able to do what she does. Even as she meanders away from the plot, taking us down some memory or long description of a rapidly changing Skillute, things manage to stay impactful and important. It's all in the telling, and Miskowski tells it like a spider. By the time the reader is so engrossed in the story the threads begin to connect and snap. And then, then it's too late.

I WILL say, though this can be read independently of the Skillute cycl
Cassandra
Oct 23, 2019 rated it did not like it
There are three things a story needs: a beginning, a middle, and an end. One of these three things is missing. the reader is left hanging with no understanding.
A story also needs to be lived in the moment. This 'story' is more backstory, huge great lumps of it from chapter 2 to the last chapter, so that it becomes something that either started in the wrong place, or needed a bit more effort to work things into the immediacy more smoothly (and less, less, less of it).
Oh, and depth to the charact
SSShafiq
Dec 28, 2020 marked it as to-read
Shelves: sff
Dec 2020

I am usually too chicken to read horror but this seemed interesting - found in SFF180 channel. I may give this a shot as soon as I can muster the courage.
Andrew Violette
Mar 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This novel has a slow build to one of the more messed up endings ever
Ryan
Mar 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My introduction to the world of Misowski and it won’t be my last. The small town environment created a dark, engaging, and frantic atmosphere. The character interactions were heartwarming in one chapter and disturbing and abysmal the next.
Dom Voyce
Mar 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A rich, dark slice of American gothic. There's a compelling and beautiful melancholy running through this story as the secrets and lies of the past reveal themselves to have deadly repercussions in the present. Another fantastic piece of writing from S.P. Miskowski. ...more
Damien Angelica Walters
Apr 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Absolutely chilling!
David Thirteen
S.P. Miskowski’s characters may seem simple at first but the more you delve, the more they become thorny briar patches of dubious morality, causing the reader to question both their attachment to the character as well as themselves. This is the second novel of hers I’ve read, and it makes me wonder if she ever lets the reader off the hook or does she always hold our feet to the coals.

The Worst is Yet to Come left me conflicted. Without a doubt, it is a thought-provoking, dreadful horror story w
Padders
Nov 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle-books
Review to come later when I am home from work.... I am giving myself a pat on the back for deciding to end the year by picking up all the shorter reads on my never ending list. I can easily commit and finish a lot quicker (not that books should be read quickly but with an almost 2 year old Windows of opportunity arent as available as before so reading time is significantly shortened.

In any case this was a super fun, small town horror that was super intense and while coming in at under 200 pages
Heather
Feb 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My only quibble with this story is that events move a little quickly–the opposite of my take on Knock Knock. Briar barely has the chance to be established as a character in our minds before Miskowski messes with her. Because of this she’s a little hollow as characters go.

Kim, Tasha’s mother, on the other hand, ends up taking center stage. She isn’t very likable once the details start to emerge, but that suits her place in this story. She was an aspiring painter who gave up her dreams because her
Thomas Joyce
Mar 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Something sinister lurks in Skillute. Or is it beneath? I've thoroughly enjoyed all of the stories Miskowski has written about this strange little town and all of its strange little inhabitants, who each seem to have a deep, dark secret. But, as is often the case with a good story, sometimes the secret doesn't wish to remain so deep. I loved the relationships explored in this new story, especially between Tasha and Briar, but also between members of the same family or even the relationship betwe ...more
Taylor (Taylor Talks Tales)
Actual rating 3.75. Parts of this book I absolutely loved. The writing, the setting, the dynamic between the main girls, and the imagery was great. The story was unique too and I loved that the author perfectly captured what it's like to live in a small town in Western Washington. However, what keeps me from rating it higher is that the ending felt very rushed/chaotic, and it seems like there was more going on with the story that we weren't able to see. Some stuff was just not fully explained. I ...more
Darling Dani  Roberts
Oct 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror
3.5 Stars.
This was a nice quick read and pretty straight forward to boot. I enjoyed the plot twist between Briar and Tasha's connection to each other and the mystery surrounding them. At first I wasn't even sure they was even going to be a true supernatural aspect to the book, and honestly that would have been fine as the events that unfold would be horrific anyway. The writing was fast paced and entertaining. I am a slow reader so for me to say I probably could have finished this book in a few

• Wounds: Six Stories from the Border of Hell
  • The House on Abigail Lane
  • Devil's Creek
  • Out Behind the Barn
  • Growing Things and Other Stories
S.P. Miskowski is a recipient of two National Endowment for the Arts Fellowships. Her books have received three Shirley Jackson Award nominations and two Bram Stoker Award nominations, and are available from Omnium Gatherum Media and JournalStone/Trepidatio. Her novel I Wish I Was Like You won a Charles Dexter Award as well as This Is Horror 2017 Novel of the Year.

Miskowski's stories have been pub

News & Interviews

“The fact is, you can’t do everything. Everyone says you can, but you can’t. You have to decide what you want most and commit to it.” 0 likes