Start by marking “The Hormone Diaries: The Bloody Truth About Our Periods” as Want to Read:
The Hormone Diaries: The Bloody Truth About Our Periods

The Hormone Diaries: The Bloody Truth About Our Periods

An honest, funny and feminist take on living with your period (and hormones!), by the award-winning sex and relationships vlogger, and author of Doing It!, Hannah Witton.

When Hannah Witton started documenting her journey coming off the pill and re-getting her period, she wasn't anticipating the reaction, from people of all ages, that talking about it would bring. It exposed a glari

Published June 13th 2019 by Wren & Rook

To ask other readers questions about The Hormone Diaries, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Hormone Diaries

Start your review of The Hormone Diaries: The Bloody Truth About Our Periods
Andy Hartley
Jun 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Full of information and intrigue, The Hormone Diaries reads like a life story, not just of the author but of a conglomerate of womb warriors writing to their own bodies and what they have to deal with. This is a must read for people who have periods, and also for those who don't. You want the truth about periods? It's in this book!
Ben Babcock
Jul 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Just over two years ago I read and reviewed Hannah Witton’s first book, Doing It!: Let’s Talk About Sex . I loved seeing a YouTuber I respected and whose videos I so enjoyed meet with success in book form. With The Hormone Diaries: The Bloody Truth About Our Periods, Witton does it again. Based this time on a long-running series on her channel chronicling her journey of self-exploration by discontinuing her birth control pill, The Hormone Diaries aims to inform its readers about menstruation and other hormone-re ...more
Lou
Aug 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed reading this. I feel like it's a great book if you want to learn more about how periods and bodies in general work, but don't necessarily need to know all the anatomical details and technical terms. It's written in a very accessible way and I liked how inclusive it was.
The highlight of the book were definitely the different diary entries by all kinds of different people. They made the book feel personal and unique. And they sounded like a lot of fun to write, so here's min
Chrissie
Jun 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Hormone Diaries by YouTube sex educator Hannah Witton is a fascinating and empathetic look at periods, hormones and all of the other strange things that go on in AFAB (assigned-female-at-birth) bodies. It covers often-ignored topics such as gynaecological disorders, trans experiences with hormones, and menopause – which are interesting and important to learn about even for those who are not affected by them.

The highlight of the book for me was the inclusion of actual ‘hormone dia
Ashleigh (ash and books)
Oct 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: health-sexuality
Just as brilliant and informative as the first one!! I've certainly learned things that I wasn't taught in school and may have gone the rest of my life not knowing they exist. Like 2 different kinds of the hormonal contraceptive pill (combined and the progestogen-only pill) and the fact that the dummy pills that give you "withdrawal bleeds" aren't necessary and you don't have to have that week break if you don't want to.

Having a period has so much admin, from buying the products that are necess
Caz Avery
Oct 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
I always enjoy Hannah's books. They're interesting and presented in a real friendly but straight forward way. I was very fortunate in my sex education, so I didn't personally learn all that much from reading this, but I think it's a brilliant resource. Especially for people in their mid-teens.
gemsbooknook  Geramie Kate Barker
‘When Hannah Witton started documenting her journey coming off the pill and re-getting her period, she wasn’t anticipating the reaction, from people of all ages, that talking about it would bring. It exposed a glaring gap – the resources and the spaces to talk honestly about periods just aren’t there. And with more and more research showing that your period and your hormones can affect literally every area of your life, this is a problem.
Inspired by her YouTube series of the same name, The
Rebecca Farren
Jun 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is such an accessible, entertaining and informative book on periods, hormonal contraception and all of the challenges of being a menstruating human! The letters from fans are so effective and really bring the book to life! It’s incredible to see such an inclusive book on this topic, especially of trans people. I wish I could have read this book when I was in the first few years of my periods. It was so validating to hear that I wasn’t alone in certain experiences.

The only things I would ha
Julia
Jul 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
We need more books like this
Phuong Ha Pham
Oct 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
The book is not only for young girls, but for anyone who cares about the sex hormones, i.e., oestrogen, progesterone, and testosterone.

As the title suggests, the book is about our periods and everything around them, such as how it all started, what happens during a menstrual cycle, PMS (premenstrual syndrom), together with very practical tips indeed. One of those is how to remove blood stains from clothes and bedding. I didn't know until now that we only need cold water, salt, and lemon juice.
Shakirah Jelley
Aug 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned, signed
THIS WAS SO GOOD! It was everything I hoped and dreamed of. I really do think it will help change things when it comes to periods and sex politics. Everybody, whether you menstrate or not, should pick this up and give it a go. Maybe to have a laugh. Maybe to relate. Maybe just to learn something.

I really enjoyed the writing in this. Hannah has become such a grown author in my opinion, structuring sentences and paragraphs more effectively. She seems to translate terminology from the s
Lisa Bentley
Aug 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
I love Hannah Witton. She is my Stoma Hero – I should preface this by saying that I am currently considering getting a stoma fitted because of the symptoms of my Ulcerative Colitis being so horrid. However, before I knew Hannah Witton had UC, I read her book Doing It! and thus started my affection for her as a writer.

The Hormone Diaries is a brilliant book. It is so body positive about a subject that is often hidden away. The only book I ever remember reading about periods was Are yo
Dominika Westfal
Jul 29, 2019 rated it liked it
Hannah, I absolutely adore you. And I truly loved your first book. But this one... well, it was a bit disappointing, if I may be completely frank. It reads more like a collection of random letters (yeah, I know they were about to feature, but no so heavily!) with a teeny tiny pieces of additional information, most of it held to absolute minimum.
I guess I should blame this on my expectations, but I felt really underwhelmed reading this. It was an enjoyable read, but nothing more.
Yes, there are
Alex Kennnedy
Jul 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
I found this book to be a comforting and informal read, clearly in the authors own voice and it should be given credit for the amount of research which went into it as well as the fantastic, genuine sources used throughout. Though I did enjoy this easy read, I personally felt it lacked new information and, as a 21 year old, I found myself to be a little too old for it. Perhaps it is because I've been a devout follower of Hannah Witton's YouTube channel for many years and have followed her YouTub ...more
Nina
Jul 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Everyone needs Hannah Wilton in their lives - particularly teenage girls. The amount of hassle I went through as a teenager would have been halved if I’d had access to books like Doing It and The Hormone Diaries. The kind of information presented here just isn’t easily accessible, particularly for those experiencing periods and contraception and sex for the first time, so it is fantastic to now have this as a resource. It was refreshing (and reassuring) to read letters from real women about thei ...more
Tamsin
Aug 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Do periods gross you out? Freak you out? Disturb, confuse, and pain you? Read this collection all about periods, from people of all walks of life, and destigmatize what you think you know about menses. Whilst I think there could have been a bigger push for consistently gender neutral language in this book, I respect the frequent use of non-gendered language to refer to what is often seen as a "women's issue". Loads of us bleed, but hardly any of us talk about it, so use this as your jumping boar ...more
Parker (Paperback Parker)
Sep 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned
this was an entertaining and informative read!! i thought i knew almost everything regarding periods and the reproductive system, but i was v wrong lol
i would have given this a 5-star rating if it wasn’t for the flip-flopping of trans inclusive language. for one, the letters submitted by the public were v rarely inclusive, and i also found that hannah’s language was inconsistent. she would preach that language surrounding periods and the reproductive system and vulvas needed to include the
Issy Kite
Jul 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Loved it! A great guide to female health issues and hormones for anyone interested in understanding more about how our bodies regulate these core parts of our lives and how this process can be managed and supported by us. I particularly liked the use of letters from viewers as it broadened the experience range touched upon in the book and helped it feel real. Also love having a signed copy after going to the book tour :)
Anne
Jul 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
So originally I was going to give this book only 4 stars, because I felt that it could have been longer. Some sections where cut a bit short. But if I'm being honest that's totally normal - no one can write everything on a topic in one book - and completely in tune with the target group. Also Hannah is just awesome. Go watch her YouTube videos!
Lia Pavlou
Jun 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An excellent source of information about women's health (or "what I should have learnt at school 15 years ago")! Fun and informative writing style. Hannah included many different personal stories of women around the world which made it even more interesting.
Belle
Jul 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Interesting, informative and comforting. Who knew a book about periods and hormones could simultaneously make you laugh and cry? Packed with useful information that both people with periods, and those without, would benefit from learning, The Hormone Diaries is a must read!
Jemima
Jul 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Everyone should read this - if you have a uterus or not! Genuinely wish I'd had this when I was in my early teens and I know it's going to have such a huge impact on the lives of so many people (both younger and older than me). Thank you Hannah!
Tova
Nov 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Noticed an improvement in Hannah's writing style (not that it was bad in Doing It!, but it was just a bit better in this one!). Loved reading about everything from puberty to menopause, and I even learned a few things that our sex ed lacked. Definitely recommend!
Emma
Jul 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great fun read, but still very educational.

A fun and educational read. So much info you thought you knew but reality is, you knew little. Highly recommend.
Zoe Harrison
Jun 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If only this was out when I was younger. Still an interesting read full of information and stories
Kayleigh Hyde
Jun 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
An enjoyable and informative read - solid 4.5 stars (which you can’t technically give here).

Rosie
Dec 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Can’t wait ❤❤❤❤ ...more
toni
Sep 08, 2019 rated it it was ok
Very informative, just not for me. Hannah seems to have already taught me all of it through her videos :P
Anggi
Oct 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I feel like this is a good introduction to learn more about our hormones.
Jade
Aug 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The BEST educational book about periods, so informative and pretty and Hannah makes it a really enjoyable, funny read too! Had the pleasure of going to her book signing and talk too !!

• If Only
  • You're Crushing It: Positivity for living your REAL life
  • The Places I've Cried in Public
  • Jack of Hearts (and Other Parts)
  • The Paper & Hearts Society (The Paper & Hearts Society, #1)
  • Wilde Women
  • Fully Functioning Human (Almost): Living in an Online/Offline World
  • It's Not OK to Feel Blue (and other lies)
  • Sex Power Money
  • Feminists Don't Wear Pink (And Other Lies): Amazing Women on What the F-Word Means to Them
  • Rude: There Is No Such Thing as Over-Sharing
  • The Truth About Keeping Secrets
  • Proud
  • Period. It's About Bloody Time
  • No Big Deal
  • Doom Rolled in Glitter
  • A Girl Called Shameless (Izzy O'Neill, #2)
  • This Is Not A Drill: An Extinction Rebellion Handbook
Popular YouTube personality who makes video blogs primarily about sex and relationships on her hannahwitton channel.