Start by marking “The Two Lives of Lydia Bird” as Want to Read:

The Two Lives of Lydia Bird

3.97  ·  Rating details ·  5,895 ratings  ·  1,238 reviews
'A beautiful, emotional gift' - Jodi Picoult

'Gorgeous' - Marian Keyes

THE CAPTIVATING NEW NOVEL FROM THE SUNDAY TIMES BESTSELLING AUTHOR OF ONE DAY IN DECEMBER What if you could live your great love story again?

Lydia and Freddie. Freddie and Lydia. They've been together for almost a decade, and Lydia thinks their love is indestructible.

But she's wrong. Because on her 27th
Published March 5th 2020 by Penguin (first published January 30th 2020)

To ask other readers questions about The Two Lives of Lydia Bird, please sign up.
Jennifer I know this is 30 days old but, did you contact the publisher?…moreI know this is 30 days old but, did you contact the publisher? (less)

·  5,895 ratings  ·  1,238 reviews

Start your review of The Two Lives of Lydia Bird
jessica
Mar 05, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
this is a complicated book for me to rate and review.

my immediate reaction is that i enjoyed it - hence the 4 stars. i must be a glutton for heartache, because loss of a significant other is a romance trope i actually quite enjoy, even though it breaks my heart every single time. there is just something so comforting about seeing someone deal with unimaginable grief and become stronger because of it. the heart surely is a resilient thing.

that being said, if i took the time to dissect and
Susanne  Strong
5 Lovely Lyrical Magical Stars

Do you believe in Magic? In the possibility of getting back the life you lost?

For Lydia Bird, that possibility becomes a reality when her best friend and fiancé Freddie Hunter passes away in a car crash and she discovers a magical way to be with him again.

Best Friends, the love of each other's lives, and hopeless romantics. Lydia and Freddie had it all, until one day, that love was taken away from them, leaving Lydias life in shambles. Her mother, her sister and
Kaceey
A beautiful, hypnotic love story!

Lucky Lydia! She has it all. Lets start with her charming Fiancé Freddy, then theres her best friend (and Freddies) since they were school kids, Jonah. And lets not forget her dear mom and sister. Shes positively over-the-moon happy with her picture-perfect life.
Today is Lydias Birthday. But there wont be anything happy about this day. Life is about to take a serious turn for the worst after her Freddie is involved in a tragic accident

Lydia is in the grips of
Paromjit
Josie Silver follows the fabulous One Day in December with this in depth study of the heartbreaking grief and loss experienced by Lydia Bird when on her 28th birthday, her fiance, Freddie Hunter dies in a car accident, whilst his best friend, Jonah Jones, whilst injured, lives to walk free. Lydia lived with Freddie in Shropshire, her whole life had revolved around him since they were fourteen years old at school and they were planning their wedding for the following year. To say that Lydia's ...more
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
This was pretty much exactly what you would expect it to be and it was (mostly) delightful! My only real complaint about this one is that it almost felt like it went on a little long for my personal tastes. I was completely gripped for the first half (seriously, I was crying like every other chapter), but I'd be lying if I didn't say that the last third of the book lost my attention at times because the story dragged on for a bit too long. Overall, this wasn't a perfect book, but it was a ...more
JanB
I read to 53%, and was completely bored so I started skimming. I then read the last 5% and realized I could not care less what happened between 53% and the ending so I set it aside.

I enjoyed the authors last book but this one was not for me. Im leaving it unrated.
Larry H
Mar 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Gotta love a book that has you sobbing in the wee hours of the morning!! Such was the case with Josie Silver's new book, The Two Lives of Lydia Silver .

Life can change in a split second. One second Lydia was waiting for her fiancé, Freddie, to arrive at her birthday dinner; the next second she learns that he was killed in a car accident on the way.

"It's probably for the best if the last time you do something momentous passes you by unheralded: the last time my mother collected me at the school
Emer (A Little Haze)
'The Two Lives of Lydia Bird' is the new novel by Josie Silver, the author of last year's women's fiction sensation 'One Day in December'. I enjoyed One Day in December but this book...
This book is on another level compared to that! It is thoroughly gripping and truly emotional.

The story follows the titular Lydia Bird as she struggles to deal with life in the aftermath of her fiancé Freddie's sudden and tragic death. In the waking world we see Lydia shut down and find herself listlessly moving
Debra
Mar 02, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley

Lydia thought she and Freddie would be together forever. Happily, ever after was her goal. But life had other plans. On her twenty-eighth birthday, Freddie died in a car accident. Initially, she shuts down and doesn't want to move on, doesn't want to go out. Her sister and Mother try everything. Finally, Lydia agrees to get some sleep in her room and NOT the couch. This is where things get interesting. In her dreams, Freddie is alive, and they continue living their lives together.

Soon,
Irena BookDustMagic
Perfection. That is the one word I would use to describe The Two Lives of Lydia Bird.

This novel has stolen my heart with its beautiful storyline, with the intensity of emotions it awoke in me.
I honestly cant even remember when was the last time I fell in love with the book so hard

If Im not mistaken, it was back in 2018 when I read One Day in December, that was one of my favourite reads that year.

If nothing (but its not nothing, its everything) this book showed just how amazing Josie Silver of a
Kim ~ It’s All About the Thrill
Well this was a hell of an emotional roller coaster! I spent much of the book confused and then BAM 💥 it clicked and it brought me to tears anyone that has suffered a loss can relate. The ending is .... fabulous ❤

This is a very emotionally charged read for me. Like I said, most of the book had me confused and a bit frustrated until I figured out what was really going on with Lydia Bird. Now nobody truly knows what is going on with a character, except the author themselves. So we all have a
Amanda
Oct 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
After falling in love with One Day In December, I was thinking this next book couldnt be as good, but I was thankfully wrong!!

Lydia and Freddie are engaged, their love should last a lifetime but how long is a lifetime? Sadly on Lydias birthday, Freddie and his best friend Jonah are involved in a car accident and Freddie dies.

Lydia is a great character, you can really feel her pain and despair at losing her true love. Lydia wants to hide away but with help from friend Jonah and sister Elle, there
Nick
Nov 22, 2019 marked it as to-read
yo I got this ARC and I am going to read the hell out of it
Jayme
Mar 08, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: women-s-fiction
How do you continue living WITHOUT the person you have been in love with since you were fourteen years old-Your fiancée, who was killed in a car accident on your 27th birthday???

After losing Freddie, Lydia is barely functioning, until she is prescribed some pills, to help her to get some much needed sleep...

Once the pills are prescribed, two separate narratives begin

🌙 ASLEEP: Lydia finds that if she takes her sleeping pill, she will DREAM
of Freddie of the life they would have lived, the life
Marialyce
I have a file on goodreads entitled "I wish I had liked this book more" into which I am placing this story. While I loved this author's One Day in December, this new book just didn't give me all the thrills I was expecting.

First and foremost, I do think the author handles the very important topic of grief quite well. She managed to portray the very devastation that losing a loved one fosters on those who have experienced that loss. Certainly, her main character, Lydia, is overwhelmed by the
Chelsey
Feb 03, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: giveaways-arcs
⭐⭐⭐⭐💫 and ALL THE FEELS!!!!!!

Lydia and Freddie have been together since they were practically kids. After over a decade together, theyre now engaged and happily planning their future together. On the way to Lydias birthday dinner, Freddie dies tragically in a car accident. His best friend Jonah is also in the car but he comes out with nothing but a scratch on his face and a shattered heart for the loss of his best friend.

Lydias grief is all consuming. Unable to handle every day life, unable to
♡ ᴅ ʀ ᴇ ᴀ ᴍ ♡
❥ 5 / 5 stars

I didnt expect much from this book but whoa, it turns out to be a lot better than her previous book and IM BLOODY IMPRESSED RIGHT NOW!!!!!!
Kendall
One Day In December was one of my top books of 2019. I absolutely devoured it! So, of course I was ecstatic to get my hands on Silver's new novel!

Well.... would it be any different for me to be the outlier on a book? Nope haha! I really struggled with this book and was a very very slow burn of a book.

I think the premise of the book was great.... Lydia adjusting to the love of her life Freddie dying in a car accident. The concept of grief and coping is heavy throughout this book and felt more of
Book of the Month
Why I love it
by Sara Hildreth

I shy away from sentimental reads. If an author is overtly manipulating my emotions, I have no problem rolling my eyes and setting the book aside. Luckily, Im here to tell you that The Two Lives of Lydia Bird possesses not one moment of emotional fakery. This novel is as raw as it is charming, and one of the most earnestly heartfelt books I have read.

Freddie and Lydia have been together since they were 14, and Lydia cant imagine her life without him. But a few months
Pavlina Read more sleep less blog❤❤
<3 4 stars <3

The two lives of Lydia was an emotional ,heartbreaking read but also sweet!My heart broke for Lydia and I was aching for her. The whole book is about Lydia trying to come to terms living without Freddie.

description

There were moments I find myself crying and others that I have a smile on my face.I loved the writing, it was fast paced and the characters were fantastic, not only Lydia but the rest too.

The ending was sweet I just wanted a little bit more of it!This is the reason it wasn't a
DeAnn
Feb 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.75 swoon worthy stars

I loved Josie Silvers first book One Day in December so I jumped at the chance to read an early release of this one. Now she is on my must-read list! This book was such a romantic, yet heartbreaking story. The ending made me cry! I loved it! (Although the plot sounded a little far-fetched when my daughter asked about the book I was reading)

We have Lydia Bird and her amazing boyfriend/fiancée Freddie theyve been together since age 14 and are planning their wedding next
Tinichix (nicole)
Some books come along at just the right time, and this book came at the perfect time for me. We just clicked. Ive lost track of how many times Ive cried. It only took me about 20 pages to develop giant alligator tears. Wow she took a hold of the heart strings right away and just pulled. I think anyone who has loved, lost someone, or even both, will be able to relate to a lot of feelings and emotions in this book. But its not all a downer. Its a beautiful story with incredible characters. It was ...more
Sylvie
Mar 01, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit
I made a mistake again finishing a Josie Silver book in a public place. meaning: sobbing like a ninny in front of strangers.

Review coming soon.
Kate Vocke (bookapotamus)
Feb 26, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc
Guys - this one is HEAVY.

Lydia Bird's fiancé Freddie has died just months before they are to be married and shes understandably struggling. When she finds him again - in the most magical and unexpected of ways - she continues to hold on to the most perfect love shes ever known.

But while she navigates both a world with Freddie - simultaneously with one without him - you begin to wonder if will she ever be able to move on. Will the comforts of the past with him prevent her from living a future
Katie (never.ending.reading.list)
The Two Lives of Lydia Bird is a beautiful story about loss, love, and continuing on with life after the unimaginable happens.

This book really surprised me. I went in pretty sure what it was going to be but Josie Silver had a really unique story here. Lydia Bird is a young woman who unexpectedly loses her fiancé in a car accident. Her life after is nothing but despair and longing for what could have been until a new medicine she takes to help her sleep transports her to an alternate universe
Latanya (Crafty Scribbles)
Unfortunately, this story did not hit home like One Day in December, which is sad considering how much I liked that one. The story's okay, but nothing to actively seek out, if one's looking for a romance.

In fact, I wouldn't call this a romance, but a contemporary/realistic fictional tale. A bit bland and slow, with too many false endings and a lot of overwriting, I have to give Lydia Bird and her lives a 2/5. The premise worked in theory, but did not see it's promise on the page.

*Thanks to
mahana
Sep 29, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
cried all throughout one day in december because of the angst and now Im crying because Im so disappointed ...more
Michelle
NOT ONLY IS MARCH THIRD THE BEST DAY OF THE YEAR & MY BIRTHDAY - IT IS THE PUB DATE OF A MILLION GREAT BOOKS!!!
Jamie beauty_andthebook_
Nov 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs
The Two Lives of Lydia Bird shows the incredible versatility of Josie Silver as an author. I definitely picked this one up expecting a story similar to One Day in December (one of my favorites of 2018) and what I was was a story of love, loss and finding oneself again.

TTLoLB tugged at my heartstrings again and again and moved me to tears. Lydia, is straddling two worlds, a dreamlike world where her fiance is alive, and reality, where he has died and she is alone and suffering. Like most of us,
Louise Wilson
Mar 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lydia tragically lost her partner, Freddie on her 27th birthday. Freddie has been the only man Lydia had ever loved. She struggles on a daily basis. She's alsomsuffering from insomnia. Lydia discovers that when she takes sleeping pills, Freddie comes alive in her dreams. Lydia is surrounded by people who love and support her and who want to see her well again.

A beautifully written story about love, loss and how to start learning to live your life again. Its emotional and touching. I found
March Spotlight Pick Two Lives of Lydia Bird Live Chat 3 7 Mar 26, 2020 05:40PM

• In Five Years
  • You Are Not Alone
  • When You See Me (Detective D.D. Warren, #11; Gardner Universe, #20)
  • The Holdout
  • Anna K
  • Starve Acre
  • Reputation
  • So Lucky
  • The Christmas Holiday
  • The Assistant
  • Perfect Kill (D.I. Callanach, #6)
  • The Argument
  • The Blossom Twins (Detective Natalie Ward #5)
  • Winter Tales (The Original Sinners, #8.7)
  • The Lost Ones
  • Seven Days
  • What Happens Now?
Josie Silver is an unashamed romantic who met her husband when she stepped on his foot on his twenty-first birthday. She lives with him, her two young sons, and their cats in a little midlands town in England.

Articles featuring this book

“I found the old me, still in here, and the new me sitting right alongside her. We made friends.” 0 likes
“I catch a glimpse of how much I've withdrawn from her. I know she doesn't for a minute resent it or blame me, but it must have been hard on her; she's lost me as well as Freddie, in a way. I make a mental note that one day, when I am better, I'll tell her how sometimes, on the dark days, she's been the only light I could see.” 0 likes