Start by marking “It's Alive: Bringing Your Nightmares to Life (The Dream Weaver, #2)” as Want to Read:
It's Alive: Bringing Your Nightmares to Life (The Dream Weaver, #2)

It's Alive: Bringing Your Nightmares to Life (The Dream Weaver, #2)

Nightmares come to life in this comprehensive how-to guide for new and established authors…

Book two in Crystal Lake Publishing’s The Dream Weaver series picks up where the Bram Stoker Award-nominated Where Nightmares Come From: The Art Of Storytelling In The Horror Genre left off.

It’s Alive: Bringing your Nightmares to Life
focuses on learning the craft in order to take yo

Published December 14th 2018 by Crystal Lake Publishing (first published December 13th 2018)

To ask other readers questions about It's Alive, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about It's Alive

Start your review of It's Alive: Bringing Your Nightmares to Life (The Dream Weaver, #2)
John J Questore
Dec 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
So, you say you want to be a writer. You have a great idea for a story – something that nobody will ever see coming. Pulitzer Prize for literature is eminent. You only have one problem; where to start. You head to your local bookstore (or library) to find “a” book on writing, only to find a plethora of titles. Some that revolve around inspiration, some that cover the technical aspects, and a few that offer some “insider” tips on getting your book out there. But there aren’t many that cover every ...more
 Reading Reindeer 2021 On Proxima Centauri
Review of IT'S ALIVE: Bringing Your Nightmares to Life (The Dream Weaver series Book 2)

As a reader, writer, and reviewer, I constantly seek out whatever will improve my crafts. Crystal Lake Publishing offers some of the best collections on writing that I am aware of (and yes, reviewing is writing too!) In their newest offering, IT'S ALIVE: BRINGING YOUR NIGHTMARES TO LIFE, accomplished authors tell all you need to know about improving your craft and getting your story "out there" to readers. The
Paula
Dec 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
WHOA! This is one of the best books on writing! Check out my full review here... https://horrornovelreviews.com/2018/1... ...more
Eva
Dec 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
[DISCLAIMER:*** Review copy received from the publisher ***]
Crystal Lake Publishing has released a number of guides designed to help horror writers, including the Writers on Writing series, which spans multiple useful volumes. This tome features an impressive array of such horror storytellers as Jonathan Maberry, John Skipp, Joe R. Lansdale, and many more.

Overall, Crystal Lake Publishing has assembled an incredibly impressive array of helpful writing advice and guidance from a wide variety of s
GracieKat
Oct 03, 2019 rated it liked it
I think Crystal Lake Publishing's Dream Weaver series (Ooooh, dream weaver, I believe you can get me through the niiiiight, um, ok, I'm done, sorry about that) is great. I really like non-fiction horror essays and reflections on the horror genre itself. It's also nice to see what horror industry insiders think from a variety of sources. I also read the first in the series - Where Nightmares Come From - and enjoyed it very much.

This is a more nuts and bolts approach to the genre with some of the
Stephanie
Jan 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
What If? That's how this collection of essays opens. What if some of the best authors in the business decide to pass on their expertise to those following in their path? Answer: You get this book, an invaluable selection of hints, tips and sometimes, demands on everything from character creation to plotting to submission. For me, as well as the writing tips, I enjoyed the sections dealing with creating and editing anthologies and also how NOT to speak to an editor.

Advice is given and yes, some c
Chris DiLeo
Jan 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
As a member of the Horror Writers Association, I received this as a complimentary copy to be considered for awards.

This is an astounding, invaluable collection of essays and interviews about all aspects of writing horror, from the short story to the feature-length film. I was highlighting something on every single page, and often several things per page.

I highly recommend this book for anyone who writes horror or is interested in giving it a shot.
Claudia Piña
Oct 07, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Algunos de estos ensayos y guías para escribir terror son un poco obvios, pero algunas tienen una parte más práctica que es particularmente importante en este género: involucrar los sentimientos y la imaginación.

El horror es algo tan personal que se puede arruinar con una mala descripción o una escena descuidada. Como cualquier género, necesita momentos más ligeros y algo de humor para contrastar, pero la línea entre lo que brinda contrapeso a la oscuridad y lo que arruinar la atmósfera puede s
Paul Sheldon
Mar 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
With a total of 36 articles from genuine horror legends such as Clive Barker, Joe R. Lansdale, F. Paul Wilson, Mercedes Yardley and Ramsey Campbell, plus additional best-sellers such as Kevin J Anderson, this collection is absolutely packed with sage advice, witty commentary and plenty of motivation. If this doesn't get you up and writing better than you've ever done, nothing will.

Whilst there are plenty of books on writing great stories, this one puts horror front and centre. It is definitely n
Karl Drinkwater
Mar 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
There's a lot of useful information in here. Obviously, in a group effort, some chapters will be more useful than others. It also depends on what stage in their career the reader is at: this book is most useful for beginners, or people with a few stories under their belt and wanting to take it to the next level. The chapters cover many of the core aspects of writing and editing horror, and the advice is often useful to other genres.

There are a few typos (one chapter in particular had quite a lot
David Thirteen
Sep 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book contains a broad spectrum of essays on writing advice from a host of people in the field. Whether you’re a novice just getting started or an experienced pro there are sections in here that will teach you something new. The drawback of having such a wide range of topics and levels is that it’s unlikely a reader will find every article useful. In my case, there were some articles containing basic advice that I felt like I’d read many times before.

Although not strictly writing advice, th
Linda
Jan 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
So far I've enjoyed both the Crystal Lake books on writing, this one, It's Alive: Bringing Your Nightmares to Life, and the other, Where Nightmares Come From. They're both written in a chatty style with lots of humor. Each chapter is written by a different author on a different subject. Although sold as a book on writing horror, most of it is geared to writing in general. Anybody interested in any kind of genre fiction would find interesting information. Instead of just do this, do this, do this ...more
Jonathan
Feb 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful collection

There's a lot to be said for books about writing. And this is one of the books that does it right. The collection of essays, articles, and interviews give a variety of approaches to different aspects of genre writing. While it does leave you wanting more, what is there is amazing and very helpful.
Keith B Walters
Jan 27, 2021
Tudor Gădălean
Jan 21, 2021
Stephen Simpson
rated it did not like it
Feb 02, 2019

• Eidolon Avenue: The Second Feast
  • Trickster Makes This World: Mischief, Myth, and Art
  • Writing in the Dark
  • Dreyer's English: An Utterly Correct Guide to Clarity and Style
  • Books of Blood: Volumes One to Three (Books of Blood, #1-3)
  • Boneshaker (The Clockwork Century, #1)
  • Sour Candy
  • A Man
  • Books of Blood, Volumes 4-6
  • Madness
  • Night of the Mannequins
  • The Lives of Saints (Grishaverse)
  • Shallow Waters Vol.3: A Flash Fiction Anthology
See top shelves…
Francis Paul Wilson is an author, born in Jersey City, New Jersey. He writes novels and short stories primarily in the science fiction and horror genres. His debut novel was Healer (1976). Wilson is also a part-time practicing family physician. He made his first sales in 1970 to Analog and continued to write science fiction throughout the seventies. In 1981 he ventured into the horror genre with t ...more

News & Interviews