Start by marking “Operation Olive Tree” as Want to Read:

Operation Olive Tree

Operation Olive Tree is about two opera-talented, Oasis of Peace High School teenagers, Irith Goldman, an Israeli, and Jamal Shaheen, a Palestinian. Their passion for opera grows into a friendship and a dream to sing for peace. Despite initial support from the Israeli Ministry of Education and intensive opera coaching from Tel Aviv University’s award winning voice trainer ...more
Published December 4th 2018 by Outskirts Press, Inc.

Win a Copy of This Book

Release date: Nov 15, 2019
    Enter for a chance to win one of eight (8) copies of Operation Olive Tree, a historical fiction by Jemil Metti. This novel highlights the efforts of t ...more

Format: Print book

Giveaway ends in: a

Availability: 8 copies available, 666 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Nov 30 - Dec 30, 2020

Countries available: U.S.

• Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about Operation Olive Tree, please sign up.
    Jemil Metti This question started with a comment regarding writers self-evaluation and rating . I guess it's ok, if an author is serious about honing his/her mast…moreThis question started with a comment regarding writers self-evaluation and rating . I guess it's ok, if an author is serious about honing his/her mastery of the craft of writing. Any evaluation method the individual uses for self-improvement is usually what any serious writer considers a desirable outcome. This question tried to deal with the rare problem of strangers rating the writer. And it just so happens I was requesting Goodreads to remove what looked like my self-evaluation, but that hasn't happened yet. (less)

Start your review of Operation Olive Tree
    Kathy Smitheman
    Apr 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    I totally loved this book!
    Such an unusual concept for a story, but the characters, even the secondary characters have such breadth & depth.
    Excellent but unusual development of the traditional parental wishes for a child that become ‘denied’.
    A few parts of the story seem to take a while to get through but by the end you are truly rooting for Jamal & Irith.
    The author definitely appears to have intimate knowledge of the subject allowing details in the plot to totally seem possible.
    I would highly r
    Cathy
    Dec 14, 2019 rated it liked it
    Shelves: giveaways
    I was lucky enough to win this book in a Goodreads Giveaway. I appreciate the opportunity of being able to read a book I probably wouldn’t have selected myself.

I gave this book a 3.5 rating. It was very intense and hard to follow at times. I fear that it was written that way to mirror real life in the Middle East. I feel that the true meaning of this book was lost on me because I don’t keep up on foreign policy or politics.

On the other hand, I did learn a lot from reading this book. It made me
    Brenda Keckeisen
    Dec 09, 2019 rated it liked it
    Enjoyable

At first I was confused and went back to read it over again. Understanding the conflict each culture and countries have, and what it’s takes to over come, this is a deeply written book.
    Firetruckmama
    Nov 25, 2019 rated it it was ok
    I won a copy of this book in a Goodreads giveaway. I liked the premise of this book and was curious to learn more about the issues in the Middle East, particularly between Palestine and Israel. Unfortunately this book, which started off with promise, became mired down with a lot of characters and a jumping about plot that I found difficult to follow. Also, some of the situations/solutions in the book seemed rather odd and even if they did happen in real life, no one would believe they actually h ...more
    Melissa T
    Nov 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Shelves: first-reads
    I won this book on goodreads first reads, Thank you!
    I really enjoyed reading this book. At times it was confusing with the amount of characters but I was able to get through it.
    Liz
    Nov 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
    This is a very, very sad and disturbing book. The tragic story two talented and attractive young people on opposite sides of an unresolvable, unrelenting war illustrates how complicated the Israeli/Palestinian situation is. Despite the glimpse of hope at the book's end, I can't help but believe there is only more of the same ahead. Definitely worth reading if you want to put a personal perspective on the conflict.
    I won a copy of this book in a Goodreads giveaway for this honest review.
    Gwen A.
    Aug 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
    I won this book from Goodreads. It’s a very relatable story. I really like the characters and I really like the fundamental nature of the story, but the plot twists and turns left me somewhat confused.Perhaps fewer characters so other roles in the plot could be more fully developed. A glossary of characters and how they interconnected with one another in a family tree in the beginning of the book would’ve been helpful. Otherwise, I think the book is very relevant for issues that are still playin ...more
    Trudy Wilson
    Jun 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Although fiction I believe that this writer was able to depict the strife that happens when familial and/or political influences prevent youth from achieving the changes in society that they believe will enhance the lives around them. I suspect that this is as pronounced in the Middle East as the author shows. The relationships between the characters shows how difficult it is to be respectful even when beliefs differ. I feel that I have gained some insights as to why some Middle East immigrants ...more
    Mary
    May 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Throughly enjoyed this book
    Csimplot Simplot
    Excellent book!!!
    Morgan Baskett
    Sep 09, 2019 rated it it was ok
    I won this book in a goodreads giveaway. I really wanted to love it, but found the plot to be very confusing as it skipped around a lot.
    Kathy Webb
    Jun 11, 2019 rated it liked it
    I won this Kindle edition book in a GoodReads
    Giveaway. Thank you to everyone involved.
    This is a well written book. Great characters.
    J. Metti
    Oct 29, 2020 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
    This book was the kind of work I had been looking for. After more than six decades of seesawing between endless wars and failed diplomacy, I felt it was time to step out of the conventional box of repeated failures, and experiment what it would be like if the task of finding an Israeli-Palestinian peaceful solution somehow fell on the musical, operatic voices of politically uninvolved idealists like students, and a brave unusual place like Neve Shalom High, located half way between Jerusalem and ...more
    Kerri
    Sep 05, 2019 rated it did not like it
    I received this book from a Goodreads Giveaway. I know I am in the minority here, but I did not enjoy this book. The writing was a little chaotic and hard to follow with large leaps in time and a lack of cohesion. I do read about other countries/cultures and often seek out foreign authors to get more insight and generally find them to be very rewarding; unfortunately, I found the issues with the writing in this book to be too distracting to allow me to fully appreciate the story being told.
    Patricia Kaniasty
    Never been interested in opera till now. What a nice story.
    Kim
    Sep 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
    I just finished this very well written book! I want to than Goodreads Giveaway for choosing me as a winner of the book. I found this book very sad, yet very hopeful of tensions in the Middle East.
    Laurence Winer
    Ron
    rated it it was ok
    Dec 08, 2019
    Jemil Metti
    Sep 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  (Review from the author)
    Jul 15, 2020
    May 07, 2019
    Shellie
    Jan 13, 2020
    What can ordinary people do about peace? 2 3 May 03, 2020 05:51AM

• Raven's Peak (World on Fire, #1)
    • House of Many Ways (Howl's Moving Castle, #3)
    • Ensnared (Splintered, #3)
    • Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga Book 1)
    • Splintered (Splintered, #1)
    • Worldlines: A "Many Worlds" Novel
    • Unhinged (Splintered, #2)
    • Black Beach
    • Zona: The Forbidden Land
    • He's Not My Shadow Guard, He’s My Lover [不是暗卫,是爱人]
    • After the Flood
    • 天官赐福 [Tiān Guān Cì Fú]
    • Castle in the Air (Howl's Moving Castle, #2)
    • 魔道祖师 [Mo Dao Zu Shi]
    • American Predator: The Hunt for the Most Meticulous Serial Killer of the 21st Century
    • The Topeka School
    • The Mountains Sing
    • The Sisters (Cormac Reilly, #0.5)
    Jemil Metti was born in Long Island, New York to an Iraqi father and a Hungarian mother who passed away when he was two months old. After two years of American boarding school commencing in 1954, he was transferred to Beirut, Lebanon for a one-year stint before ending up in Baghdad, Iraq in 1957.

After living there his entire teen years, he returned to the United States in 1970. Metti attended Nort