Start by marking “The Girl and the Stars (Book of the Ice, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Girl and the Stars (Book of the Ice, #1)

The Girl and the Stars

(Book of the Ice #1)

In the ice, east of the Black Rock, there is a hole into which broken children are thrown.

On Abeth the vastness of the ice holds no room for individuals. Survival together is barely possible. No one survives alone.

To resist the cold, to endure the months of night when even the air itself begins to freeze, requires a special breed. Variation is dangerous, difference is
Expected publication: April 30th 2020 by HarperVoyager

To ask other readers questions about The Girl and the Stars, please sign up.
Laurence Bell What a strange comment. Given how many books are male led it's amazing that it only takes two female led ones in a row before people start to worry.…moreWhat a strange comment. Given how many books are male led it's amazing that it only takes two female led ones in a row before people start to worry. Talk about thin skin. (less)
Isla Nope! I've never read any of Mark Lawrence's books before and I'm understanding this book just fine. As far as I'm aware the story is stand alone.…moreNope! I've never read any of Mark Lawrence's books before and I'm understanding this book just fine. As far as I'm aware the story is stand alone. I've read the synopsis of the first Ancestor book and it doesn't seem to have anything to do with this one (?). Hope that helps!(less)

Start your review of The Girl and the Stars (Book of the Ice, #1)
Mark Lawrence
Aug 08, 2019 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
STOP PRESS: The UK cover is revealed on Fantasy-Faction http://fantasy-faction.com/2019/cover...

Copies now available on UK netgalley.

The US cover has been released! https://thatthornguy.com/2019/11/27/t...

The ARCs have landed chez Lawrence!

You might think you want an ARC of The Girl And The Stars more than Ruby does. But you'd be wrong!

Join my 3-emails-a-year newsletter #Prizes #ExtraContent

Chaima ✨ شيماء
I see it.

I like it.

I want it.

I internally scream because it hasn't been released yet.

(Also, this is Mark Lawrence so you know you're in for a RIDE!)
Jamie Tivendale
Dec 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, freecopy
I received an uncorrected proof copy of The Girl and the Stars. I would like to thank Mark Lawrence and Harper Voyager for the opportunity.

This tale is set in the same world as The Book of the Ancestor, yet in a completely different environment. We follow Yaz, a sixteen-year-old member of the ice tribe the Ithca. To progress from being a child and ascending to adulthood the younger members of all the tribes have to be judged by regulator Kazik. All the clans converse at the Pit of the Missing
Melanie
Feb 13, 2020 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition

ARC provided by Penguin Random House in exchange for an honest review.

Youtube | Blog | Twitter | Tumblr | Instagram | Twitch
Emily (Books with Emily Fox)
OMG this is obviously being added to my never-ending TBR!
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin

What the hell! I want a print arc of this damn book!!!

Mel 🖤🐶🐺🐾
Eon ♒Windrunner♒
May 06, 2019 marked it as to-read
Oh hell yes!

The Girl and the Stars

Prologue

Many babies have killed, but it is very rare that the victim is not their mother.

When the father handed his infant to the priestess to speak its fortune the child stopped screaming and in its place she began to howl, filling the silence left behind.

Omens are difficult and open to interpretation but if the oracle that touches your new-born dies moments later, frothing at the mouth, it is hard even with a mothers love to think it a good sign.

In such cases
Adam
Aug 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Abeth, a frozen ice planet. Many years ago, a home to Nona and the sisters of the Sweet Mercy convent. Now home to nothing but wandering ice tribes, struggling to survive in the harshest conditions imaginable.

To survive is to sacrifice. Outliers must be culled. Whether you are weak and lag behind, or if youre too big or strong and eat more than the average share, then you can no longer exist within the tribe. You are thrown away, torn from your home and family forever. Yaz, our teenage
Hamad
Feb 19, 2020 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I see (Read, currently reading and to-read) when I am adding this but where is my (Want to read this so bad) option _(ツ)_/ ...more
Mitriel
May 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
If Mark Lawrence was a new author The Girl and the Stars would be the SFF debut of the year.

I blogged about the book here (no spoilers):

Will.J.R. Gwynne
Mar 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed, fantasy
My review of this masterpiece is on BookNest -

The Girl and the Stars - BookNest

I was lucky enough to win a giveaway from Mark Lawrence that included a signed copy of The Girl and the Stars. So, thank so much again Mark Lawrence and That Thorn Guy.

When it comes to Mark Lawrence, its not a question of whether I will enjoy it or not. Its more, how much am I going to love this? And Im glad to say, though not surprised, that The Girl and the Stars is no different.

I cannot praise any of this enough.
Jane Kelsey
Dec 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another epic novel from Mark..wow. the characters, the world building the magic system... incredible..loved it..full review to follow
**********
Mark
Feb 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
An ARC from net gallery.

Well Mark show us once again that hes still on top of his game at writing wonderful characters, great worlds and well everything else and it comes to books.

Set in the same world as the wonderful book of the ancestor series, this time we are taken north to the land of snow and ice, complete with buried cities of the Missing.

Highly recommended to all on here.
Mark
Feb 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Highly recommended to all on here.
J.A. Ironside
ARC provided by NetGalley in exchange for an honest review

Look at that, I gave a Mark Lawrence book 5 stars. Are we honestly surprised? Didn't think so - and not merely because I fall exactly into his target audience. I've loved all Lawrence's books and have been benignly stalking his writer's journey since Prince of Thorns was released (in 2012?) It's always a treat to find an SFF author who consistently delivers excellent books. Mark Lawrence goes beyond this, giving us not just new worlds and
Gritnay
Jan 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Who needs sleep when there is this brilliant ARC waiting to be read and experienced!
Thank you again, Agnes, for hosting that giveaway that made me so fortunate to receive this book!

The book is as Lawrenesque as Nonas story ever was. I loved that trilogy, so its no surprise that I already love Yazs as well!
All those characters have found their way easily into my heart with each new trait revealed about them, each hardship they live through and mostly overcome, each inner and outer turmoil about
Dawn
Feb 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
Oh my giddy aunt... I feel a like a tornado just swept through my mind! My heart is trying to thump out of my body! "The Girl and the Stars" is outstandingly well-crafted... a tormenting, twisting journey, and so, so, so good. There are characters I love (special mention for "Maya"), characters I hated, and characters I wanted to pick up and shake until their heads wobbled. This is my first Mark Lawrence book, and though I've heard nothing but good things about his writing I'm hugely impressed! ...more
T.O. Munro
Jan 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I finished 2019 as I started it, with a Mark Lawrence ARC. This one starts another stunning trilogy, full of brilliant poetic prose.

In The Girl and the Stars, Lawrence gives us another tale set on the ice-bound world of Abeth, a planet barely warmed by a dying star in the endgame of the universes inevitable submission to the rise of entropy. Like Nona before her, Yaz is an adolescent under duress, tested almost to destruction by a harsh environment and harsher company. Nona lived in the thin
Niki Groves
Aug 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excellent! Unexpected storyline, had me exclaiming out loud, really liked the characters, just enough description to get the idea - I didn't want it to end.
sofia (sam willows)
if i dont read this soon i might actually, physically Die™ ...more
Mara YA Mood Reader
I didnt even read the synopsis. I just saw Mark Lawrence and slapped the appropriate button ...more
Stacie
Feb 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I was lucky enough to receive an advanced copy of this book via Netgalley so massive thanks to the publisher for giving me the opportunity to write this review.

Ive been a Mark Lawrence fan for a number of years and it was with a smug sense of satisfaction I devoured his latest offering. However, I did approach it with slight trepidation because I found it difficult to get into The Book of the Ancestor series (even though on paper it is right up my street). And whilst TGATS is set in the same
ThatBookGal
Nov 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was so excited to receive an ARC of this book. Mark Lawrences The Broken Empire trilogy, really stuck with me for being dark and not afraid to pack a punch. I was expecting big things from this book, and it did not disappoint, not even one little bit.

Never before has a book made me feel quite so claustrophobic, life under the ice had me shuddering, and I had to take a break after the first 50 pages, just to catch my breath. That is the beauty of Lawrences writing. I could picture every step
Anna
Nov 28, 2019 marked it as unreleased  ·  review of another edition
[11/28] The cover looks STUNNING.
Kristina Thomas
Mar 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a fantastic book. It pulls you in hard at the prologue and does not let up. I found myself struggling to do anything else while the book lay on my table unfinished. Even though life conspired to throw LOTS of other things at me while I tried to read it. :( I actually think that the setting is my favorite part. It is very different, interesting and exciting. But the characters are great too. I found myself immediately and deeply invested in each new person I met, even the minor ones. In ...more
Meghan
Jan 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library
This book was received as an ARC from Berkley Publishing Group - Ace in exchange for an honest review. Opinions and thoughts expressed in this review are completely my own.

I was so astonished when I finished this book that my heart has never been so full and I have never been so inspired. A lot of the young readers hopefully will be inspired by this book that they feel they can do anything. Yaz is a young girl growing up in the east of Black Rock and the spot what they call the Pit of the
Kerry A
Aug 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Hmm, there better be a sequel soon because I'm totally invested in this story. It's harsh, it's gripping, no-one can be trusted and nothing is as it seems at first glance. This brilliant new book has an awesome main female lead in Yaz. I'm giving this one full marks for the world he has created under the ice. I'm lucky to have had an advance copy. This is intense!
Stacie
Feb 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Ellie
dnf at page 285

when this book is fully published, I'll give it another go. However, right now this book is putting me in a massive book slump so I need to just stop and pick up something else.

The one thing that really bothered me is the lack of commas where they NEED to be. There were a million sentences like this:

"Although life in the wastes left no room for war the Axit had a reputation for fierceness." Unless I'm an idiot, I'm pretty sure a comma is meant to go after the word 'war' here, no?
Reece Dinn
Feb 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A fantastic new series set in the same world as the Book of the Ancestor but doesn't require having read that series to read it.
What I loved most about this was how the cold confines of the world beneath the ice was realised. It is a stunning achievement and I heartily recommend all to read it. Fantasy at it's best.
« previous 1 3 next »
Fantasy Buddy Reads: Lawrence - The Girl and the Stars [May 7, 2020] 3 17 Jan 02, 2020 06:50AM

• The Unspoken Name (The Serpent Gates, #1)
  • The Doors of Eden
  • Sixteenth Watch
  • The Mother Code
  • You Let Me In
  • The Human Son
  • Master Class
  • Providence
  • The Bone Ships (The Tide Child, #1)
  • The Black Hawks (Articles of Faith, #1)
  • Deeplight
  • The Ten Thousand Doors of January
  • He Started It
  • Never Die
  • Starsight (Skyward, #2)
  • Ballistic (The Palladium Wars #2)
  • Ninth House (Alex Stern, #1)
  • Smoke & Summons (Numina #1)
[My new books Holy Sister and One Word Kill + Limited Wish are out now!]

Blog here: http://mark---lawrence.blogspot.co.uk/

Facebook here: https://www.facebook.com/MarkLawrence...

Three-emails-a-year newsletter here:
http://eepurl.com/cimnK1 #Prizes #FreeContent

I'm even on Tumblr!

Pintrest!

& Instagram

Book of the Ice (3 books)
  • The Black Rock (Book of the Ice, #2)
  • Untitled (Book of the Ice, #3)

Articles featuring this book

Spring ushers in blooming flowers, warmer weather, and more daylight hours for reading! We're here to help you beat any lingering winter b...