Start by marking “Robbergirl” as Want to Read:
Robbergirl

Robbergirl

SAVE THE WITCH, KILL THE SNOW QUEEN

In a Sweden wracked by war and haunted by folk stories so dark they can only be spoken of in whispers, Helvig has been raised by her brigand father to steal whatever treasure catches her eye. When her men ambush a girl on the road with hair pale as death and a raven perched on her shoulder, Helvig cannot resist bringing home a truly
201 pages
Published February 14th 2019 by Eminence Press (first published February 12th 2019)

To ask other readers questions about Robbergirl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Robbergirl

Start your review of Robbergirl
Corrie
Robbergirl by S. T. Gibson was a well-written re-telling of Hans Christian Andersen’s The Snow Queen. Set in Sweden around Christmas time it has plenty of atmosphere and heaps of snow and ice. Get on a bone-chilling adventure with thieving princess Helvig who risks everything when she brings a stray witch home to the robbers camp. The witch Gerda is not planning to stay as she is on a quest to save her brother from the evil Snow Queen’s clutches.

It was a very entertaining read with beautiful
Lo
This was great for specific reasons, or maybe just one: girls and women are amazing and that’s that on that. actually, no, it’s not, i wanna add that women can truly do anything in this world we set our eyes on because we’re the best people around here. secondly, girls in love are exceptional and that’s also that on that. let them spend night cuddling next to a fire or under their furs at nights and let them fight ice zombies and save children!! and let them love each other because there is ...more
Sophia (Bookwyrming Thoughts)
IfRobbergirl has taught me anything, it's proven that I have a huge preference for books with action. But it's also proven that I have an appreciation for slow and steady books with a good ending.

S.T. Gibson's novel is a retelling of The Snow Queen set in Sweden where Helvig has grown up surviving through the art of thievery. She and her crew bring home what they consider treasures each time they go out, and when they cross paths with a girl named Gerda, Helvig can't resist bringing her home.
Smart Bookaholics Inc Bookstore
May 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: earcs
This book was so much fun! I enjoyed everything about it! The plot was mysterious and the characters were superb! Cant wait to tell everyone about this wonderful adventure of a book!

Helen
Jun 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lgbtqia, 2019
This was a beautifully written retelling of the Snow Queen, with lush prose that really immerses you in the story. As a child I had a beautifully illustrated edition of Hans Christian Anderson's fairytales that I have since given away (a decision I kind of regret) and this story drew me back into that world. The writing was easily my favourite part of the book - the descriptions were breathtaking and painted a vivid picture of the setting in particular.

The book doesn't have the most eventful
Amanda B
Feb 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc-reads
Robbergirl was sent to me by the author to read and review honestly. I read this book in one sitting. I just couldn’t put it down. The setting was so interesting, which is funny for me because I don’t like the snow or winter. But this snow-covered story was perfect for this tale. We follow Helvig who is the princess of thieves. She is confident and strong, but also shows that she can be vulnerable and make mistakes. I really enjoyed learning more about her. She’s in charge of a gang of misfit ...more
Genevieve Gornichec
May 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I had to stop myself from reading this book in one sitting! It had me at "F/F Snow Queen Retelling set in the woods in Sweden," but hooked me with the characters and setting and folklore. I knew I had to read it as soon as I heard about it, and I wasn't disappointed. S.T. Gibson's characters jump right off the page and the atmosphere of this book is so vivid - both of which I expected after reading ODD SPIRITS, her other novella - it was really easy to get lost in the pages. At the climax of the ...more
Gerd
Nov 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebook
Loved it for the most part.

It has a (felt) bit of lull in the middle part where the author needs to do a lot of setup, and I'm not quite convinced by the probable timeline of some past events - things must have happened awfully fast / close together.

But it is a charming retelling of a favourite Fairy Tale with a couple I could root for from the start and a really sweet lovestory, so all's good.
Cinnia Is Still Not Over Thornfruit
This was a very sweet fairy tale retelling and I quite like that it was from Helvig's point of view the entire time. I especially enjoyed the dialogue and especially the bantering dialogue. I do recommend giving this quick read a try!

Note: I did notice some typos and formatting issues in the ebook edition. Maybe they'll be caught soon for future editions?
F.
Feb 02, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A quite lovely fairy tale and coming of age YA story. It features a Robber Princess and maybe witch, a tame crow and reindeer, and some bad exes and an evil Ice Queen. All in all it’s a story of what we would do for love.
Amanda Prado
the story was just ok and i have no idea why the summary compares it to deathless but LET ME TELL YALL the f/f ship here emanates such lowkey but powerful horny energy, every time they joked abt “you’re mine” “i’m your kept prize” etc i was SWEATINGGGG
Matt Hope
Mar 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Throughly enjoyed this one. Fairy tales, love, the terrible winter cold, loss and grief, how to cope with your fears.

A deceptively simple story that has a lot to offer. I recommend it to anyone who likes fantasy stories grounded in folklore.
Jacqueline Rohrbach
May 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Enjoyed this retelling! Interesting world building with a strong focus on folklore.
Leslie
(3.5 Stars)
Misago
Aug 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A very enjoyable retelling of the Snow Queen tale. Starring two delightful strong women (Gerda especially) who felt very well-rounded, an who did a lot to earn their ending and love.

Especially Gerda's non-chalant attitude to her sexuality was refreshing in a story like this, and she made a very funny and clever read.
LJ Maccers
Mar 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Chase Dost
Feb 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The title of this review says it all. Helvig's struggle to accept herself, and the journey of both girls to find healing and forgiveness together, are things many readers will find relatable. I found myself rooting for Helvig and Gerda's relationship almost as soon as they met, and the slowish burn/enemies-to-lovers-esque set-up is thoroughly enjoyable. I also loved the wealth of folklore and history built into this story. I have a special soft spot for folklore, and now I'm itching to go do ...more
Louise
Apr 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Robbergirl is an interesting and original take on Hans Christian Anderson’s The Snow Queen. Instead of following Gerda on her quest to find Kai, we join her journey halfway through, seeing things largely from the point of view of Helvig, the daughter of the King of a band of robbers and bandits.

It’s an interesting angle since Helvig’s character isn’t a central character in the original and it gives Gibson an opportunity to flesh out the robber Princess and give her a personality and backstory of
Diana Green
Mar 28, 2019 rated it liked it
This is the second F/F re-imagining of the Snow Queen I've read...the other being The Raven and the Reindeer. While I liked that one better, I still enjoyed Robbergirl, with its unique choice of the Robber King's daughter as the main character. It jumps into the Snow Queen story partway through, offering glimpses of earlier events through Gerda's recounting of them.

Comparing different versions of a familiar story is something I've always been interested in, and Robbergirl offers an original,
Ry Herman
Jun 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is the second retelling of the Snow Queen I've read where Gerda and the Robber Girl end up together, and both have been quite good. This one tells the story from the Robber Girl's point of view, and gets a lot of mileage out of the confused and conflicting emotions of that character, and the question of whether Gerda is telling the truth about the Snow Queen or is just crazy. I enjoyed it.
Bee ☆
Feb 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"All fairy stories start with some terrible truth, and that's the teeth of the thing. That's the bit that sinks into people so they never forget."
・ 。゚: *. .* :゚. Synopsis:
Helvig is the princess of the Robber King and part of a band of thieves that travels Sweden pillaging and stealing to make a living; so when her men happen upon a fair maiden by the name of Gerda walking through the woods in the dead of winter alone she suspects an easy target.
Gerda has a mission and she's been on the search
katie gilgour
Apr 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Note: I received a copy of Robbergirl from the author in exchange for a book review.

I'm sort of in love with fairy tales.

This is not a surprise to most of you. After all, I'm a Disney fangirl, andI have more fairy tale retellings on my bookshelf and to-read list than I can count.

Despite my love for once-upon-a-times and happy endings, I am not that familiar with Hans Christian Andersen's "The Snow Queen." The only adaptation I know of is Disney's Frozen (which, like most Disney films, is very
Hailey Davis
Mar 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
“But putting a price on kindness rather defeats the purpose, don’t you think?”

The Robber King’s daughter, though tormented by the tragic ending of a past love, seems content with her life as a thief. Leading her band of troublemakers around by their ears, Helvig trudges diligently through another winter of scarcity. The only thing she could want for is a bit more gold to line her pockets.

Enter Gerda— a mysterious, headstrong, not-witch whose unnerving silence and infrequent smiles draw Helvig in
Eli
Apr 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: wlw, lesbian, queer
This is a sapphic (!!) Snow Queen retelling set in Sweden with superb descriptions of the landscape and characters. The dialogue was fun to read and the characters were so interesting, including the side characters. They all had such personality to them and it was easy to get invested in the story.

Helvig is a thief that ambushes travelers with her team. She has a great relationship with her father and her team, with Rasmus as her brother. I loved learning about Astrid and how her past tied into
Laianna
Mar 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
I loved this book. It was exactly what I was looking for... YA fantasy/adventure with a specific romantic twist. At times the author had an issue with telling rather than showing, and I got annoyed by how often Helvig was referred to as “the thief” and Gerda as “the witch” but otherwise it was better than I expected given what I initially perceived to be a lack of proper editing. There were enough typos and punctuation issues that in the beginning my heart sank - had I unintentionally purchased ...more
Christina
Oct 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good story. One thing bothered me though: how the hell did she killed the wraith/zombie/undead/whatever that Snow queen was with a little knife? I think was the only part that didn't make any sense to me. Wraiths can be anything from a demon to a ghost, so it will take a different kind of weapon/magic to kill it. So I would assume this was a magic knife let's say made of silver (I'm thinking in witcher terms) since neither of the mains where magically inclined :))

But all in all, a good build up
Christine
Nov 27, 2019 marked it as did-not-finish
DNF @ 8%

I have to read a retelling of Hans Christian Andersen's "The Snow Queen" for a book club, so was excited when I came across a sapphic retelling of the fairytale. However, I found it creepy how Helvig kidnapped Gerda and treated her as a prize to be won.
[Helvig] wanted time: to study [Gerda], to question her, to admire the slope of her straight nose and swan neck while the boys minded their own business. Helvig’s fingers itched the way they always did when she saw something worth
Ashley Holdren  | *Whimsies of a Nerd Girl ~ Fantasy Book Blogger
*I was sent a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review*

Similar vibes to "The Beast Is an Animal" and the Brothers Grimm fairy tales.

A dark and twisted tale of loneliness, self acceptance, enduring hope despite the ones around you losing faith.

This story was both beautiful and raw, a perfect addition to the growing LGBT books pf the YA world. This is a great read to pick up for anyone wanting to take a peek into the world of bisexual representation in this coming of age story!

Be patient
Vic - Lost in Fiction
Robbergirl: 3.5 Stars

This was lovely. But for whatever reason It just didn't pull me in completely.
Gerda and Rasmus were probably my favourites. But I liked Helvig a lot too.
I adored the parts that related back to the snow queen story (this was a great way of doing a retelling.It was truly Helvigs Story rather than Gerda and Kais and I adored that. Especially with her "selfaware" commentary about that at the end)

Side note: I was quite perplexed about the reindeers name being Bae. Because... I'm
Emily Deibler
Mar 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Overall, I am a sucker for WLW fairy tale retellings, and I also loved the macabre and poetic language. My favorite line: "All fairy stories start with some terrible truth, and that's the teeth of the thing." Reading this reminded me a lot of The Dark Wife, where it's less about this epic adventure unfolding and more about traumatized and lonely women finding solace in each other.

Though it didn't distract me too much, there were a few typos. Also, there were some formatting inconsistencies

• The Lady's Guide to Celestial Mechanics (Feminine Pursuits, #1)
  • Crier's War (Crier's War, #1)
  • Daughter of the Sun (Tales of Inthya, #2)
  • Thorn
  • Miranda in Milan
  • The Queen of Ieflaria (Tales of Inthya, #1)
  • Sisters of the Vast Black
  • Silver in the Wood (The Greenhollow Duology, #1)
  • Princess of Dorsa (The Chronicles of Dorsa, #1)
  • The Deathless Girls
  • In the Vanishers’ Palace
  • Compass Rose
  • The True Queen (Sorcerer Royal, #2)
  • Her Royal Highness (Royals, #2)
  • The Legend of Korra: Ruins of the Empire, Part Two (Ruins of the Empire, #2)
  • The Raven and the Reindeer
  • Breaking Character
  • The One Who Eats Monsters (Wind and Shadow, #1)
S.T. Gibson is a poet, author, and village wise woman in training. By day she works for an audiobook publisher, and by night she scribbles speculative stories full of big personalities, lavish settings, and the sort of existential questions that are considered impolite to discuss at dinner.

She holds a Bachelors degree in Creative Writing from the University of North Carolina at Asheville, and a
“Stories make living tolerable for even the most wretched creatures,” 1 likes