Start by marking “Snowmen at Halloween” as Want to Read:
Snowmen at Halloween

Snowmen at Halloween

The snowmen are getting their Halloween costumes ready for the latest picture book in this New York Times bestselling series.

Have you ever built a snowman and discovered the next day that his grin has gotten a little crooked, or his tree-branch arms have moved? And you've wondered . . . what do snowmen do when we're not watching?

After an early snowfall, a few kids build
Published August 20th 2019 by Dial Books

To ask other readers questions about Snowmen at Halloween, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Snowmen at Halloween

Start your review of Snowmen at Halloween
Calista
People said, in Michigan, that if it snowed on or before Halloween, it was going to be a very long and cold winter. I lived through several and they were the best.

For this story, it snows the day of Halloween and kids sculpt snowmen and then dress them up for Halloween. We then get to see what snowmen do for Halloween and guess what? It’s mostly just like what we do for Halloween.

There are hidden pictures on each page and we couldn’t find them all. Some of the best fun was seeing costumes the
Sep 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books

I’ve never been a huge fan of the Buehners’ Snowman series. I’ve enjoyed them over the years for sure, BUT…this one! This one is special. Snowmen at Halloween is a true treat!

Pirates and punk rockers to bumblebees and bunnies! These pages are filled with so many creative costumes. My favorite was the mummy snowman. :) Games, treats, and glowing lanterns only add more color and fun to the Halloween-y atmosphere. Everything was decorated and ready for the holiday! We have apple-bobbing, mazes, and
Melanie
Cute stories of snowmen that are dressed up in Halloween costumes that go trick-or-treating.
Raven Black
Sep 10, 2019 rated it liked it
I’m not usually a fan of the Snowmen books. I mean, I like them, but can take them or leave them. This time, the Halloween theme felt a tad forced to make it possible so the snowmen could come to life. Now, living in New England, I know you get snow in October, but I would think the majority of kids might not relate to that. Otherwise, if you like the Snowman series, you will love this as it is right up there with the feel of the others.
Emily
Sep 06, 2019 rated it it was ok
Beautiful illustrations, but with clumsy writing
Aimee
Nov 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
In this addition to the snowmen series by Caralyn Buehner, children dress up their snowmen in costumes on Halloween. Late at night, after the children have gone to bed, the snowmen have their own Halloween celebration, with a parade, pumpkin-carving, games, a corn maze, and more. The page about the fortune teller may not appeal to some. The rhyming text, hidden pictures, and detailed images make this a great read-aloud worth repeating.
Brittany
Oct 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
I've never really considered what a snowman would do at Halloween, but this is a totally cute read.
Megan - Alohamora Open a Book
It's okay. Buehner's other books are so good b/c her rhythm is right on. This one felt like the rhythm and rhyming were a little forced.

I enjoyed it, but Snowmen at Night, Snowmen at Christmas, and Snowmen All Year are my favorite Buehner books.
Marcie
Liked this one. Haven't read one of the Buehner books for years, but this one is fun.
Jana
This fun Halloween picture book uses rollicking rhyming text and colorful illustrations to tell a story about snowmen out for a good time. Every now and then the weather is snowy on Halloween here in Ohio, and the kids in this story make snowmen before they head out for their fun evening. They dress up the snowmen in leftover Halloween costumes and go on their way. When their evening was over and they were on their way home, they wondered if the snowmen were about to have their own Halloween ...more
Meredith
Snowmen celebrate Hallloween.

When it snows just before Halloween, a brother and a sister build snowmen whom they dress in discarded costumes. Then they imagine the Halloween adventure the snowmen have at night.

This picture book is a Halloween-winter mash-up. It also cashes in on the success of the Snowmen at Night series. The premise is silly, but the story is fun. The text has the same rhythm and rhyme scheme as the series.

I was disappointed to discover a grammatical error: "I'll bet spooky
Emily A.
Oct 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: halloween
Been reading these Snowmen book series to my son since he was little and I have truly enjoyed this new one as gift!
Vicki
Sep 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture
This team has produced another fun book for young listeners/readers.

A great rhyming story with the amazing illustrations Mark Buehner has created for the snowmen books.

A good read aloud for the Halloween season to be sure.
Kelly Veatch
Sep 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
Love the Snowmen books! And, this one is a great addition to my collection. My students are going to love it too!
Jessica
Sep 23, 2019 rated it it was ok
Enough of the snowmen books. This was a miss and the rhyming/rhythm on some spreads was off. Some series are special enough to go on and on (I’m looking at you Elephant and Piggie) this one should be set out to pasture.
Katie Nash
Sep 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
What a cute rhyming story. This would be a great book to read aloud during October to get in the Halloween spirit.
Wendy
Sep 12, 2019 rated it liked it
Cute illustrations and a story that is totally plausible in Minnesota where we've had many snowy Halloweens over the years.
Alison N
Sep 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
You wouldn't normally associate snowmen with Halloween, but as someone who's experienced a couple of snowy Halloweens, I can totally see it. This story is lots of fun and has gorgeous illustrations. I may have to check out the rest of the series.
Ellon
Aug 19, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc, edelweiss
Note: I accessed a digital review copy of this book through Edelweiss.

So I have to admit that I have not read the other books in the Snowmen series, although I have seen them in the library before. I looked up on Goodreads to see what other topics/holidays were covered. It made me think that this Halloween one was a little bit of a reach (like the author had run out of other topics).

Still, it was a cute book with some really great illustrations. Nice rhyming phrases tell the story of snowmen
Alicia
Aug 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
There's nothing I don't adore about this Snowmen series so when I saw that there was a Halloween Snowmen, I knew I had to have it.

Illustrations are still beautifully spot-on with the built in layer of hidden pictures, but the story is still unique and lovingly written with humor and magic about in the deepness of the fall and winter. How imaginative to mashup a season and a holiday in this way. Maybe that needs to be a winter activity this year-- Halloween for the snowmen!
Michele Knott
Aug 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Surprisingly great follow-up to the series that feels fresh and new. After a very early snowfall in autumn, the snowmen are back having some Halloween fun. The details in the illustrations are really great!
ACK! No, I do NOT want snow on Halloween! Especially not enough snow for multiple snowmen...
Lisa D
Aug 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved it!
Alice
Aug 17, 2019 rated it liked it
3 stars for the Snowmen
Margie
It's not that it hasn't arrived earlier than expected previously. It has but disappeared within hours. It will begin this morning and will most likely continue for the next four days. It's not every year snowfall carpets the landscape on Halloween. Trick or treaters will be trudging through the cold, gusty winds and white this year in northern Michigan.

Will anyone or anything else be brave enough to venture out in this storm? We're never certain who or what roams around on Halloween night after
Meg McGregor
Oct 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A very fun and amusing story that explains how snowmen can change overnight!

It seems they can change, even when it is not officially, "winter!"

This story has the most beautiful illustrations! I find myself getting lost in them!

SNOWMEN, AT HALLOWEEN, LOVE TO....

a. follow one another in a Halloween parade.

b. carve scary smiles on pumpkins.

c. play Halloween games and get their faces painted.

d. bob for apples in the apple-bobbing bins.

e. go to a fortune teller to predict the future weather.

f.
Laurie Hnatiuk
Nov 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture
Popular series and read through the eyes of the young readers who will in fact be picking this latest edition to the series again and again. The illustrations are phenomenal and readers will enjoy seeing the variety and creativity with the different costumes. Told in rhyme there are moments when it is appears forced but for Canadians - SNOW ON HALLOWEEN is something kids will relate to and enjoy seeing something that is very familiar to them. Now only if there had been a snowman wearing a ...more
Nicole
Oct 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
I had no idea these books were alive!!! I loved this sooo much, especially since usually Halloween in PA can have snow. The hidden objects were kind of hard to find, but its a great way for kids to spend more time looking through the book. I also really enjoyed that one of the snowmen has a pickle as a nose! My patrons are going to love this book & I'm definitely ordering the rest in the series! Great "non-spooky" story for Halloween, even those who don't celebrate this Holiday will love the ...more
Sam
Sep 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Snowmen at Halloween was an absolute delight! The detail and color in this book really make it visually stunning. So many books contain simplistic art so it's always a treat to get some good art to really look at. As an added bonus, there are hidden things on every page too! The verse is fun and the story charming. This book is the 5th in the Buehner's "Snowmen" Series. All of them are worth looking into if you haven't already.

• The Scarecrow