Jump to ratings and reviews

Deputy Donut Mystery #3

Jealousy Filled Donuts

When a firecracker becomes a murder weapon, Emily Westhill pursues a killer with a short fuse ...

It is a truth universally acknowledged--cops and donuts go together. Exhibit A: Deputy Donut Café, owned and operated by detective's widow Emily Westhill and her father-in-law, the retired police chief of Fallingbrook, Wisconsin. Named after Emily's adored and adorable tabby, the donut shop is a favorite among cops, firemen, and EMTs, as well as tourists and townspeople. So when Fallingbrook needs donuts for their Fourth of July picnic, Emily's shop gets deputized.

But a twisted killer has found another use for Emily's treats. At the picnic, a firecracker is hidden in a stack of raspberry-filled donuts and aimed at the unwitting queen of the festivities. When it explodes, she is killed. Having her jelly donuts involved puts Emily in a sticky situation, and when a shady shutterbug tries to frame her with incriminating photos, she finds herself in quite a jam. To preserve her freedom and her shop's reputation, Emily needs to solve this case--before the fuse-lighting felon goes off again ...

Praise for Goodbye Cruller World

"Food scenes tantalize with description of single-origin coffee as well as classic and trendy donuts--solid recipes included."
--Publishers Weekly

288 pages, Paperback

First published August 27, 2019

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Ginger Bolton

7 books401 followers
Ginger Bolton writes the Deputy Donut mystery series--cops, crime, coffee, donuts and one curious cat. When Ginger isn't writing or reading, she's crocheting, knitting, walking her two rescue dogs and generally causing trouble.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
15 (2%)
1 star
5 (<1%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 158 reviews
Profile Image for Carrie.
3,038 reviews1,499 followers
May 6, 2021
Jealousy Filled Donuts by Ginger Bolton is the third installment of the cozy Deputy Donut Mystery series. As with most cozy mystery series each book of this series can be enjoyed as a standalone with the mystery being completely solved within each book. Of course there is some character building that carries over from book to book for those that follow the series from the beginning.

In the first book of this series we met Emily Westhill who co-owns the Deputy Donut donut shop named after her tabby cat in small-town Fallingbrook, Wisconsin. Emily used to work as a 911 dispatcher until the day her husband who was a police officer was killed so now she and her retired police chief father-in-law sell donuts at their shop instead.

Although Emily thought opening a donut shop would be safe she keeps finding herself mixed up in solving murders. This time around the donut shop was invited to participate in the local Fourth of July festival but their delicious donuts were used in a murder plot with someone loading a firecracker inside which was aimed at the queen of the festivities. Emily of course can’t stand by and let the culprit get away with murder so she again gets pulled into investigating.

I have been following the Deputy Donut mystery series from the beginning and have gotten to know and like these characters along the way. This one isn’t quite as quirky and humorous as some that I follow but it has won me over anyway. I enjoy that there is a tie for Emily and her father in law to the local police which makes them a little more believable being involved and I love the holiday adventure in this current book so I’ll definitely be back for more.

I received an advance copy from the publisher via NetGalley.

For more reviews please visit https://carriesbookreviews.com/
Profile Image for Chatting About Cozies.
1,117 reviews48 followers
August 12, 2019
Book 3 of the Deputy Donut series features a strong, steady, and original plot. At the Fabulous Fourth Festivities, fireworks start exploding and someone’s life flatlines. Co-owner of the delicious donut shop, Emily Westhill, witnesses the horrific crime scene and vows to help Detective Brent Fyne catch the culprit. The author deftly scatters crumbs around to throw readers off in guessing whodunnit! A great addition to an already excellent cozy mystery series!

I reviewed a digital arc provided by NetGalley and Kensington. Thank you.
Profile Image for Shawna Shaheen.
323 reviews2 followers
April 29, 2021
Emily and her father in law Tom has opened a donut shop Deputy Donut. They sell coffee around the world and you guessed it donuts. Deputy Donut is named after Emily and her late husband Alec kitty . In book 3 it is 4th of July . The festival is going on and Emily is in it driving her signature donut shop car decked out with twinkling lights. There is a king Ian and a queen Taylor and a jester Nicolas and Gabriel the second best to The queen Taylor for the festival.. Taylor the queen in the festival did not want to have anything do do with driving in Emily's donut shop car a old 1950 Ford car. So Taylor demanded that Gabriel and Nicolas ride with Emily and Taylor would take her own car so she would be the star of the show. A photographer started taking pictures of Emily before festival started. He came to the donut shop too and Emily saw him at festival looking suspious. Every time her came around Joceline(a 19 year old that work with Emily and Tom) would run away from him. There is one murder in this. I love the kitty she has like donut hole like designs on her sides. Brent (Emily friend a police officer and one of Alex Emily late husband partner on police force) seems like both him and Emily might get together. I will read the other books in this series to see if they do get together.
Profile Image for Tari.
2,056 reviews66 followers
August 20, 2019
This series is getting better and better! I just couldn't resist finishing the ARC a week early. I fell in love with these characters in the first book and have been waiting a little impatiently for this book to come out. My own copy will come on release day--the cover is so awesome that I just had to order the paperback of it. I could tell right away that Emily and Brent's friendship was growing, because I didn't notice one of my favorite lines that he always kinda mumbled, "Mmph", when he was deep in thought or didn't want to talk about a case. He was definitely more willing to share with her and accept her help on this case. It was a crazy and fun one too with a side mystery that involved a stalker of Emily and Tom's new employee, Jocelyn. I hope we see more of Jocelyn, and that she stays working at Deputy Donut. She was the perfect addition to give Tom and Emily a much-needed break during the week.

I didn't guess the killer, but I knew who I didn't want it to be. I loved how the book ended with a complete explanation of everything that had been going on, then Emily's parents who liked to RV around the country, returned home for a marshmallow roast at their home campground. It's fun to wind a mystery down with some normal downtime for the characters, and this ending was just right!

I voluntarily read and reviewed an ARC of this book provided by the publisher via NetGalley, and my opinions are my own.
Profile Image for Melina.
223 reviews18 followers
August 18, 2019
This is the third installment in the Deputy Donuts Mystery Series. In this installment, it is time for the Fabulous Fourth of July Festivities and Queen Taylor is killed during the fireworks display by a firework placed in a stack of donuts. Emily is accused of the crime so she has to set out to prove that she did not kill Queen Taylor. This was another entertaining installment in the Deputy Donut series. This one grabbed my attention from the very beginning till the end. The author introduced some new characters and of course the old familiar characters were also present. I liked the setting of this series and I enjoyed that it was set during the Fourth of July. Emily is a great protagonist who is a strong independent woman. I thought the story was well written and the plot was well thought out. I liked how the author tied in al the loose ends and questions in the story. I look forward to more in this series.

I received a complimentary copy of this book.
2,618 reviews32 followers
November 17, 2019
Deputy Donut cafe owned by a detective widow, Emily is getting ready for the 4th of July parade and fireworks. Emily makes a doughnut ‘cake’ for a boy and later she sees it at the fireworks with a fuse sticking out of it. Before she can warn anyone it goes off killing the 4th of July Queen. Emily finds out that there had been a feud between the Queen and another teen girl.There is also a photographer who is doctoring pictures to make it look like Emily was the killer. The book just didn’t seem to be put together well.
Profile Image for Betty.
2,006 reviews50 followers
August 17, 2019
The third book in the Deputy Donuts series find. Emily Westhill and friends celebrating the 4th of July. Emily will drive Deputy Donuts' car the parade.She drives to the starting point to pick of the Royal couple. The Queen is late and refuses to ride in the DD car she must be seen in her car. That evening Emily sees someone places a bag of donuts in the back of a chair the queen is sitting. There is a loud explosion and the confusion is sorted the QUeen is dead. What and who killed the Queen? Emily needs to find before she joins the Queen in death. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS BOOK AND SERIES.
Donut Recipes are included.

Disclosure: Thanks to Kensington Books for a copy through NetGalley.The opinions expressed are my own.
Profile Image for Carole Jarvis.
793 reviews42 followers
August 27, 2019
Reviewed at The Power of Words: https://bit.ly/2PhhUB9

From the realistically accurate title to the creative use of donuts as a murder weapon, Jealousy Filled Donuts by Ginger Bolton thoroughly entertains. It’s well written and clean, with good characterization and a vivid sense of place. While this third book in the Deputy Donut series easily stands alone, there’s some interesting character development that makes the whole series compelling reading.

The Deputy Donut series started out very good and keeps getting better … Maybe because I’m enjoying the character development of both major and secondary characters, but the murder theme in this story resonated with me also. I loved returning to the quaint town of Fallingbrook, Wisconsin, especially the Deputy Donut Café co-owned by Emily Westhill and her father-in-law. And how could I ever forget the “star” of this series, Emily’s tabby cat, Deputy Donut himself (aka Dep). Their connection is precious and believable. Emily talks to her cat, expressing her feelings; I talk to my cat. Enough said.

The murder mystery plot is well crafted and not easy to solve, at least for me. Emily, the donut shop, and her friends all played important parts in the story. Even their past experiences as teenagers exploring the hiking trails around the falls came into play. The Fourth of July theme was refreshing, making this a great summertime read, or for any time of the year. However, I doubt that I’ll ever look at patriotic celebrations and parades the same again. Just sayin’…

But my absolutely favorite part? The gradually building relationship between Emily and Detective Brent Fyne. This storyline tugs at the heartstrings, because Emily’s beloved husband and Brent’s partner was killed on the job a few years previously. Initially drawn together over their shared heartbreak, a subtle attraction has been steadily building while Emily is understandably hesitant about giving her heart to another police officer. But slow and steady wins the race, as the saying goes, and I hope that’s what happens here. And did I mention that Dep is crazy about Brent, and vice versa?! I’ll just say that the ending is very satisfying.

I thoroughly enjoyed Jealousy Filled Donuts and hope for many more stories in this series. Recommended to cozy mystery fans everywhere.

I received a copy of this book through the Review Crew. The opinions expressed in this review are entirely my own.
Profile Image for Jerri Cachero.
571 reviews49 followers
July 23, 2019
What goes good with a great cozy......donuts!! Jealousy Filled Donuts delivers in both mystery and deliciousness!

Emily, owner of Deputy Donuts (along with her father-in-law, Tom) , tackles the mystery of why a beauty queen was murdered during a Fourth of July celebration and what connection an annoying photographer has to Jocelyn, her newest employee. Emily's donuts are used in the murder (in a unique way) and she becomes a suspect and the subject of photos that implicate her in the crime. She decides to solve the mystery to protect herself and her employee.

It's always a fun read to visit the donut shop! Emily is not a "rush headfirst into danger" character - a trait I like in main characters. I love the relationship between Emily and her father-in-law and friends. Misty, Samantha, Scott and Hooligan all have interesting storylines in the book. I enjoyed the way the friend's adventures, when they were growing up, helped Emily in a dangerous situation. The relationship between Brent (Emily's husband's partner) and Emily is slowly evolving. Emily is slowly and carefully rebuilding her life after the death of her police officer husband. The fact that she has the support of her former in-laws is heartwarming.

A review is not complete without mentioning the mischievous and smart Dep, Emily's lovable feline and namesake for the shop! The descriptions of Dep's antics and her "home away from home" were charming!

This is one of the series that I read non-stop, if life doesn't get in the way! I'm impatiently waiting for the next visit to the donut shop and more recipes!!

I received an ARC from NetGalley for a fair and honest review of this book.
Profile Image for Taryn.
799 reviews19 followers
August 28, 2019
In this next book of the series Emily is excited about being a part of the town's 4th of July parade. She will be driving the shops 1950's police cruiser that sports a donut on top as well as carting around a couple of Fallingbrook Highs elected court. During the evening's fireworks display someone uses one of Emily's donut towers in a very unlikely manner. They turned it into a bomb and injured one person and killed another. The young woman that was killed had several enemies but also had people who praised the hard worker she was. Emily knows that she must investigate because the police are looking at her as being the culprit, especially since all the evidence seems to point her way. She decides to start with who bought the donuts that were used and work her way back from there. Follow along as she works her way through a mine field of clues and suspects in an attempt to clear her name. This was an exciting read filled with wonderful characters as well as being an intriguing whodunit, I can't wait to see where the author takes series to next!

I received an ARC of this book, all thoughts and opinions are my own.
Profile Image for Peggy R.
1,012 reviews64 followers
August 2, 2019
Jealousy Filled Donuts is the third book in what I find to be a fun-filled series. I always finish one of these books feeling entertained and this addition to the series continues that feeling for me. Emily is a very sympathetic and likable protagonist. She has a terrific personality and her character is very engaging. She is surrounded by a very likable secondary cast of characters whose friendship is one of the things I really enjoy in these stories. I don't often say this (because I am one of those people who have to read a series in order), but I feel like the books in this series could be read out of order (at least to this point) without the reading feeling lost or like they missed something.

The mystery kept me engaged trying to figure out who was behind the murder. The author had several viable suspects with motives that could have led them to commit murder. The reveal was not a surprise in terms of the killer's identity but did have drama and danger.

I find this to be a well-written series, with likable characters and good solid mysteries. I will definitely be continuing with this series. I voluntarily read a digital ARC provided to me by the publisher through Netgalley.
Profile Image for LORI CASWELL.
2,352 reviews268 followers
August 31, 2019
Dollycas’s Thoughts

Independence Day means, parades, carnivals, fireworks, and food! In Fallingbrook, Wisconsin, the food means donuts from the Deputy Donut Café owned by Emily Westhill and her father-in-law and retired police chief Tom. Emily also drove the Deputy Donut Café’s delivery vehicle, a vintage police car with a donut on top in the parade carrying part of the day’s Royal Court.

After they close the café for the day Emily bakes up a batch of donuts to share with her friends while they watch the fireworks. Her friends are on duty as EMTs, firefighters, or police, but they throw out a blanket by their vehicles to relax and enjoy the show.

Then Emily notices a flame by a nearby couple, she rushes forward but it too late. The flame was on a fuse of a firecracker hidden inside of tower of Deputy Donut donuts. The firecracker goes off and was aimed right at the queen of the festivities and she is killed.

Chaos breaks out but Emily’s friends are immediately on the scene. Things get sticky when a photographer tells Emily he has pictures of her lighting the fuse. She knows that is impossible but knows she needs to be proactive and solve the crime to clear her name. Fireworks are really going to fly when she catches that killer!

I devoured this book! Seriously it is impossible to have too many donuts and with these fabulous characters and excellent mystery, I just couldn’t get enough.

Former 911 dispatcher Emily lost her police officer husband when he was killed while out on a call. She had to quit her job and opening Deputy Donut Café was just what she needed. Her father-in-law is a perfect business partner and best of all her cat Dep can go to work with her every day because the shop office is a place set up just for him. Dep is a special cat and he has completely stolen my heart.

Emily is surrounded by a great group of friends and loyal customers. Emily has hired a new employee and Jocelyn has fitted right in. All the characters are engaging and have a purpose. They also continue to evolve nicely as the series continues. Emily’s family added a few pins and needles throughout the story too.

A death that takes place with a park full of people is a tough solve. Seriously there could be hundreds of suspects. Someone with a score to settle with the victim or someone who just wanted to cause trouble. Thankfully, it was soon clear the queen was targeted by someone she knew which brought the suspects down to a reasonable number. The author has filled this story with some great twists and turns and Brent was open to Emily’s help. I was happy to follow their lead.

The ending of this story was so exciting and fantastically written. Ms. Bolton’s words takes readers right there, on the scene, like a fly on Emily’s shoulder. Living in Wisconsin I knew immediately the kind of place the series of events was playing out. It was totally realistic and riveting to read. Like in Goodbye Cruller World, I was on the edge of my seat as the drama played out.

This was an excellent story! A marvelous addition to this series! So much so it will have a place on my Best Reads of 2019. I am craving the next book in this series already!
Profile Image for Rebecca.
1,473 reviews3 followers
August 16, 2019

This is the third installment in the Deputy Donuts mystery series and I can happily say it is now one of my favorite series!
_
Emily runs a donut shopped called Deputy Donuts and when a stack of her donuts were involved in a local murder, she cannot help but start asking questions around town. As a police widow and with so many first responder friends, it's not surprising that she wants to get to the bottom of the mystery and often knows who not to trust and what questions to ask.
_
Emily is such a strong and intelligent entrepreneur and I loved reading this story from her POV. She has had her share of tragedy with losing her husband in a shooting while he was on the force. Though she definitely still feels grief, she has an amazing group of friends to surround her and bring her comfort, love and laughter. They were such a great contrast to some of the less appealing characters who happen to also be suspects.
_
I loved following the series of events and watching Emily look at the murder from so many scenarios. Even when she is considered as a suspect, she is able to confidently defend herself and pose alternate theories. Her passion for her donut shop and her kitty Dep really shined through and endeared her even more to me. I enjoyed the glimpses of romance and am hoping there will be more development in the future. I would gladly visit this shop and be friends with Emily and her crew.
_
The writing was fantastic and the story moved along as a great pace that I didn't want to put this book down. The descriptions of the town, and the camping ground especially were so vivid and really added to the story. The ending was dramatic and had me on the edge of my seat. I absolutely did not see it coming and was shocked by the identity of the culprit. I love a mystery where I am stumped and cannot wait to read more from this series!
_
Thank you to the publisher for a free copy of this book. I was happy to give my honest thoughts.
Profile Image for K.A. Davis.
Author 3 books446 followers
July 24, 2019
JEALOUSY FILLED DONUTS is the third book in the Deputy Donut Mysteries by Ginger Bolton and is another great addition to a charming series! What could be better than a fun, loveable protagonist, an adorable cat, and a donut shop owned by Emily, a former 9-1-1 dispatcher and her father-in-law, formerly the Chief of Police? Needless to say, it’s the favorite hangout for police officers and emergency responders, along with the senior citizens’ group, the Knitpickers. Ms. Bolton crams her book full of memorable characters while weaving a tight tale of death by donuts and firecrackers during a 4th of July extravaganza. There were twists and turns that kept me turning pages and a subplot that kept me guessing how it was related to the central murder of the festival queen. I liked that Emily wasn’t an in-your-face type of amateur sleuth. Instead, she hunted down answers by sweetening up her intended targets with donuts and smiles.

Ms. Bolton’s strong descriptive voice paints a vivid picture of the settings, from the donut shop, to the cool vintage car Emily drives (love the donut on top!) to the wilderness area that hosts an exciting, edge-of-your-seat reveal. She expertly weaves each scene into the other, creating a seamless story. While JEALOUSY FILLED DONUTS can be read as a standalone, I’ve enjoyed watching the characters develop and grow, especially Emily. The widow of the town’s detective, Emily has struggled to get over her grief, even after several years. It’s been heartwarming to see her blossom with her close friendship with her deceased husband’s friend (who’s also a detective) and hope that a romance might develop for her. It gives the book an emotional level without detracting from the mystery.

There are several mentions of yummy donuts and treats in the book that it was hard to not drool. The author provides two donut recipes at the back of the book.

I was provided an advance copy via Netgalley. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
Profile Image for Lisa Cornelius Ashby.
126 reviews6 followers
April 15, 2021
This is Fourth of July 🇺🇸 fun with a little murder and yummy donuts 🍩 wrapped up in a fun cozy mystery. This is the 3rd book in the Deputy Donut mystery series 📖📚 I love this series! I enjoyed revisiting our protagonist, her cat Dep, and her yummy donut shop. I’m also hoping for the possibility of a budding romance ☺️ I highly recommend giving this series a go!
Profile Image for Nora-adrienne.
893 reviews119 followers
September 7, 2021
Love this series and the cast of characters. I have a cop and a Feeb in mine so the story had me laughing at all the right spots.
Profile Image for Margret.
535 reviews25 followers
August 18, 2019
Another fun cozy mystery in the Deputy Donut series. Fun book to read and well written. It’s entertaining with interesting characters, storyline, and a little of romance. I love the relationship between Emily and her father-in-law and all her friends. The mystery kept me engaged and guessing until the very end. I love the idea of the author adding a few donut recipes at the end of the book. I enjoyed it "The Deputy Donut mysteries" so much that it’s a “must read series".
Profile Image for Judi.
23 reviews
August 27, 2019
This is the first book I've read by Ginger Bolton but third in the Deputy Donuts Mystery Series. Despite not having the background from the first two books in the series, I was able to dive right into all the characters in the story pretty easily. Main character Emily is a young widow who co-owns a donut shop with her father-in-law, Tom. She has a habit of getting involved with police investigations (whether the police like it or not!). In this story, Emily is framed for the murder of Fourth of July Queen Taylor during the annual fireworks show. It is clear early on that a creepy photographer has it out for Emily but it is not made too clear why until nearly the end of the book. Emily has a great support system in her friends and handles the scrutiny of law enforcement well. I really liked how she really fought for her innocence based on information gathered during her investigation and it all paid off in the end! Also, the little touches of possible romance with police detective, Brent, kept me on the edge of my seat. I kept hoping he would just kiss her already!! ;)

Emily's cat, Dep (short for Deputy Donut), is wonderful. I loved how Emily had her office at work designed to be a comfortable place for Dep (and modeled after Dep's favorite sunroom at home). Even though it is never said that Dep has any paranormal powers, she sure is in tune with what is going on around her and seems to steer Emily in the right direction often.

The descriptions of donuts made in Emily and Tom's shop were great and I look forward to trying the recipes Ginger included at the end - especially the maple cheddar donuts!

Overall, I very much enjoyed reading this book (and did so in less than 24 hours - it was hard to put down!). I plan to go back and read the first two books and look forward to future books in the series.

I was given a free copy of this book in the hope that I would review it. I am happy to do so.
Profile Image for Autumn.
99 reviews6 followers
August 25, 2019
“Jealousy Filled Donuts”, the third story in the Deputy Donut mystery series, finds Emily Westhill, donut maker extraordinaire, participating in the Fallingbrook Fabulous Fourth celebration. During the town picnic, Emily makes a skyrocket birthday cake out of donuts for a small boy. Later, during the fireworks presentation, a homemade firecracker inside the donut cake explodes, killing Taylor, the Queen of the festivities. Since Emily was close to the explosion (and her donuts were involved in the murder), she naturally gets pulled into the investigation.

This third outing is a lot of fun. The summer mood infuses the story, and made me want to visit Fallingbrook. Emily and Tom make blueberry and raspberry jelly filled donuts for the July Fourth picnic, and happily there is a recipe for those donuts in the back of the book. A new character, Jocelyn, has been hired as an assistant at the donut shop and is quite intriguing. And of course Dep the cat steals the show (as always). I really enjoy the author’s descriptions of Dep’s antics - it’s very easy to picture her and to want to meet her. In fact, all of Ginger Bolton’s descriptions are very vivid and make me feel like I am present in the scene. It’s one of my favorite things about this series.

The mystery itself is well plotted and there are plenty of suspects for Emily to investigate and red herrings for her to work around. The reveal of the killer is a surprise, and also makes perfect sense.

Best of all, fun details about Misty, Samantha, and Emily’s friendships are revealed, and one of their childhood games plays a rather significant role in the reveal of the killer and the subsequent, nail-biting chase. I was very glad to see more of the Misty/Samantha/Emily trio in this book. And speaking of other characters, I wish that author Ginger Bolton would feature the Knitpickers a bit more in future installments. I would enjoy getting to know them a bit more.

All in all, this is a solid continuation of a delightful mystery series. I hope there are more to come, since I very much enjoy spending time with Emily and her friends at Fallingbrook Falls. I’m thinking the next outing could take place at Christmas - I’d love to read about Christmas flavored donuts.
Profile Image for Kirsti.
2,456 reviews83 followers
July 22, 2019
Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for the chance to read this book!

I've been a fan of this series since the first book, so I'm glad to get to read another in the series. This is the third book, but it can easily be read on it's own as well. The characters seem to be breaking off into couples too, which is nice because this series is very much a friendship based one, with Emily, Samantha and Misty being life long friends. I do worry a little with Emily though, because we aren't really given anything clear on her feelings for Brent (because she doesn't know herself) but I hope they can work things out.

The mystery in this one probably wasn't as good as the previous two books. It doesn't appear to have as strong a motive and gets a little lost at times as things kind of get rehashed. I did still like it, but it could have been stronger.

Hopefully though the next book picks up more with yet another mystery to solve. Four stars this time around!
Profile Image for Lisa Morin.
1,651 reviews44 followers
August 9, 2019
I must admit that I wasn't very impressed with the first book in this series. However, Jealousy Filled Donuts has definitely changed my mind.
Sometimes I struggle with the first book in a new series, so I will always try to read another one to see if it will change my mind.
I'm so glad I gave this book a try, it's an exciting story, filled with likable characters who will quickly steak your heart.
This story takes place during the fourth of July and is a perfect read for the end of summer.
Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for approving me to read this book.
Profile Image for Christine.
492 reviews33 followers
April 18, 2021
This is the third book in the deputy donut series. This is such an interesting series. I love all the characters. Emily is a great lead. Emily investigates when a murder happens during the Fourth of July festivities. I love that she has such a great group of friends that support her. Her feline friend, Dep, is just the cutest cat. I loved the setting and the mystery. This is definitely a series that I will be continuing.
Profile Image for Leah.
1,804 reviews
August 26, 2021
Wisconsin - July

This has evidence tampering, a stalker, a murder, and a chase in a dangerous location. It also has a parade, fireworks, and doughnuts. The mystery was interesting. I thought it would be someone else, but I did figure out the why. There is also romance, which I was hoping wouldn't happen. It should have been someone else, if it had to happen at all.
430 reviews2 followers
April 7, 2021
I am enjoying this series and the character development, but this book did not impress me as well as the first two books did. There were a number of guest characters who were barely out of high school, and of course they acted as young as they were, full of jealousy and competitiveness. Toward the end of the book there was a stretch of descriptions about the activity on the hiking trails, and it was overwhelming, but the story ended nicely. I will definitely continue with this series because I may enjoy the next books more than this one, since I enjoyed the first two books more than this one. I also want to keep reading about Deputy Donut the cat!
Profile Image for Linda.
1,789 reviews32 followers
June 28, 2021
I really like this series! This was another good story and kept me reading, wanting to know more. While I enjoy the recipes at the end, this book could have used a map of the trails at the falls. I also really like Emily and Brent and hope they get together.
Profile Image for Patty.
1,553 reviews1 follower
August 21, 2019
Jealousy Filled Donuts by Ginger Bolton is the 3rd book in the Deputy Donut Mystery series, and another great book. Emily Westhill, a widow, and her retied chief of police father- in- law run a donut shop, Deputy Donut, in Fallingbrook, Wisconsin. In this exciting adventure, Deputy Donut shop is busy making donuts for the town's 4th of July picnic. When someone uses a stack of jelly donuts to hide a deadly firecracker in, and one girl dies, Emily starts to investigate. I really liked this book, and can't wait to read the next one in the series. I enjoyed the characters, which are well written. If you love cozy mysteries, I strongly recommend this book/series.

I reviewed a digital arc provided by NetGalley and Kensington Publishing. Thank you.
Profile Image for Jessica Wilhoite.
324 reviews15 followers
October 7, 2019
This book was so good! I CAN'T WAIT to see where the relationship goes between Emily and Brent! I'm also looking forward to getting a peek into what Emily's parents are like, since they show up at the end of the story.

I was totally baffled by this mystery - I had no idea that (insert murderer's name here) was responsible; there was also another interesting character following Emily and her assistant around, but I wish we got to hear a little more about his story - unless he was supposed to be a red herring??

Great job Ginger! Ginger Bolton
Profile Image for JoAnne McMaster (Any Good Book).
1,219 reviews19 followers
December 18, 2020
Emily Westhill is the young widow of a cop who was killed in the line of duty. She now runs a donut shop along with her father-in-law, Tom, and is fairly happy with the life she's created for herself in the last five years since his death. Right now she's creating donuts to sell at the Fourth of July picnic, and also gets to drive her "donut car," -- an old 1950s police car that has a giant donut on top -- in the parade while escorting the king and queen of the Fabulous Fourth Festivities. But when queen Taylor arrives late, she refuses to ride in the old car, so Emily finds herself escorting the duke and duchess, who love the car. Emily can't help but notice that Taylor isn't nice, and neither is the duchess, who is supposed to be her best friend,

When Emily returns to the shop, she notices something else: that her young employee Jocelyn disappears every time an oily-looking photographer comes into the shop, especially when he's taking pictures of his surroundings. Asking her about it, she admits to nothing, so Emily lets it go. But later on at the fireworks, Emily sees her own donuts being used to set off a firework - aimed directly at Taylor's back. She yells at Taylor and her date to run, but neither hear her, and the firework hits her. So when Emily is later accused of being the one who rigged it, she needs to figure out who really killed the woman and why. Otherwise, Emily might find herself in the line of fire herself...

This is the third book in the series and I have to say that I enjoyed it much more than the first two. Not that there was anything wrong with them; but they did have the 'evil nemesis,' and I do so abhor that situation in any book. Personally, I feel that there's no need for one at all to make a book interesting, and this book proves that to be true.

Emily is unfairly accused, so naturally she wants to find out who's trying to frame her and the reason why. Knowing who, is easy, but the why not so much. She also wants to find out who killed Taylor, and she knows enough not to go around blindly accusing people of murder without gathering all the information she can, which she proceeds to do admirably.

In the meantime, her matchmaking skills have been tested with her friends, and everything seems to be working out, while they are trying to match her with her late husband's partner Brent Fyne, which she is fighting with everything she has, telling herself she doesn't want a relationship again. She's also trying to figure out where her parents are, and why they haven't arrived at their campsite which they pay for year round at the RV park. But the big thing concerning her is why Jocelyn leaves the room every time a certain photographer enters, but won't tell her the reason; then when she disappears altogether, Emily starts to get worried.

So what ensues next is the heart of the book: the climax brings us to quite an unusual one: finding Jocelyn, the killer, and perhaps even more -- and hoping she can reach her friends in time for help. If not, she'll need to depend upon her own skills to save her life, which might not be enough...in the end, when the murderer is discovered, I honestly thought the person was deranged to have such a reason, but who knows how the mind of a killer works? I am also looking forward to reading the next in the series, since I have come to enjoy it so much that I read this in one night. Recommended.
Profile Image for Toni.
1,323 reviews39 followers
August 26, 2019
4.5 Stars

This is the third book in the Deputy Donut Mystery series by Ginger Bolton.

This is my first perusal into the Deputy Donut universe and I have to say that I really liked it!

We sort of had a dual storyline going on in this one. One plot was the entire mystery behind who killed the Queen of the fourth of July festivities by putting a dangerous firecracker in a 6-stack of Deputy Donuts. The other was the will they/won’t they between Emily Westhill and her late husband’s partner, Brent Fyne.

Emily used to be a 911 operator but after the death of her husband and her perceived part in it, she gave up that career and opened Deputy Donuts with her father-in-law Tom who had previously been the Fallingbrook chief of police, now retired. Because of her perceived part in her husband’s death, she fears moving forward, especially with anyone in the police department. She hasn’t even been able to visit her husband’s old office or drive on the road where the accident occurred. This gives the mystery a complex and fearful aspect. It is the feeling of waiting for the other shoe to drop. This angst was pulled out longer than I thought necessary but sometimes I want conflict resolved early and that inner need doesn’t always jive with a plot like this.

The community in this book was great. I like getting to see and know people you most likely will see in other books. Another blogger I follow, Dru’s Book Musings, sent out an email featuring this book and a Day in Life of Misty Ossler who is one of Emily’s good friends and a cop on the police force. Misty wasn’t featured a ton in this book and I applaud when a blogger can pull so much detail about a character and write it up on the page.

Reading this book and reveling in the complete ending of the two dual storylines gave me a happy feeling in my heart and made me want to delve into the previous two books in this series. I need a two book marathon and I need it right now!

Definitely check this book out if you love a great cozy mystery. You won’t be disappointed.

I received this as an ARC (Advanced Reader Copy) in return for an honest review. I thank NetGalley, the publisher and the author for allowing me to read this title.
Displaying 1 - 30 of 158 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.