Start by marking “The Burning Men (Paterson & Clocks, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Burning Men (Paterson & Clocks, #3)

The Burning Men

(Paterson & Clocks #3)

Discover a crime thriller full of shocking twists by one of the most exciting new authors you’ll read this year.

A MAN IS BURNT AT THE STAKE IN A LONDON PARK. HIS SMOULDERING CORPSE IS A MESSAGE OF THE MOST VIOLENT KIND.

The victim is Davey Caine. He is the heir to the criminal empire created by his father, William ‘Billy’ Caine. Billy is a notorious and violent gangster
Published December 3rd 2018 by Joffe Books thrillers and mysteries

Start your review of The Burning Men (Paterson & Clocks, #3)
Louise Wilson
DS Ray Paterson #3

A man is burnt at the stake in a London park. His smouldering corpse is a message of the most violent kind. Davy Caine was the heir to the criminal empire that was created by his father, Billy Caine. Billy is a notorious and violent gangster who has control of South East London. Two old gangsters have grudges, but one of them kills the other ones son. The violence is unrelenting, with a shooting and another body that had been set on fire. Clocks and Paterson have their work cut
Linda Strong

Detectives Ray Paterson and John Clocks find themselves sitting right in the middle of two notorious drug lords fighting to be top dog.

They are called in to investigate the finding of a man's body. The man, identified as the son of one of the city's most notorious crime lord has been burned alive.

The war between two criminal empires results in escalating violence on the streets of London. Many more bodies will fall .. one way or another ... unless the detectives can find the killer or killers so
Lou
Dec 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Burning Men, the third novel in the Detective Superintendent Ray Paterson and Detective Inspector Johnny Clocks series, is based around the intense and explosive nature of gangland warfare. As always I loved the recurring characters, especially the crime-fighting duo and main protagonists Paterson and Clocks. Although they are both fascinating characters they do fit the stereotype for investigators from this genre, however, they are so thoroughly developed that this didn't bother me as much ...more
Janet Newport
Thank you NetGalley and Joffe Books for this arc.

I have read the previous 2 books of the Paterson and Clocks series and enjoyed them a lot. While this was the same good gory fast paced and action filled story type, I was disappointed with the lack of character development …. Paterson seems to be devolving and Clocks is basically stagnant in this book. And the plot twists at the end were ridiculous. By the time I finished, it felt like the book was just a rehash / mishmash of all the silly Steven
Amanda
Dec 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely love the series featuring Detectives Paterson and Clocks and I impatiently wait for each new book in the series to be released. I eagerly snatched up my copy of the third book in the series called ‘The Burning Men’ and started to read. Blooming nora it is certainly one hell of a read that I absolutely loved but more about that in a bit.
I have developed a real soft spot for the detective partnership of Detective Superintendent Ray Paterson and Detective Inspector Johnny Clocks. Pater
Erica Paré
Apr 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
When I began this book I had no idea that it actually had two previous books with our main characters. Because of this it took me a little longer to get into the story line and follow along with who everyone was. Once I got into the story I was hooked.

We meet two quirky police/detectives. Paterson and Clocks are hilarious together. Clocks really has a sense of humor during dark times. Even though they dont always agree, Ray Paterson knows that detective Johnny Clocks would have his back in any s
Michele Zito
Jan 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This the third book I have read by Steve Parker , and I cannot wait for others to follow featuring Patterson And Clocks. What a team .
Love the story line and the two officers are so in tune with modern times and I love the way the author has made them so human, characters flaws, bad language and unorthodox methods of dealing with criminals.
Really anticipating the next book.
Michele Zito
Brian Shuck
Dec 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Can I just start by saying WOW! I realy enjoyed tis book, the story, plot, tone would stand toe to toe with any of the aclaimed cop shows and crime dramas such as THE BODY GUARD, LINE OF DUTY and THE NIGHT MANAGER. UK readers will get the refferances.

I picked those three in particular as this story sits firmly in all those worlds. Having said that the language can be a bit on the more real side (fruity).The story is well paced and does not let up from start to finish.

Having not done many review
Joanna Larum
Dec 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the third book in the series with detectives Ray Patterson and Johnny Clocks and Mr Parker goes from strength to strength. The story starts with a young man burned to death at a stake, a young man who's father is the master criminal Billy Caine. Billy's empire covers the south east of London and it is odds-on that one of his rivals, Tanner, is behind his murder.
Patterson and Clocks are called in to investigate and it leads them into mixing with these shady people and discovering that the
Jypsy
Jan 31, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The Burning Men is part of a series that I have not read. I tried this one, but I didn't care for how gruesome it was to me. I read bits of it and skimmed through the rest. Not for me. Thanks to NetGalley for an arc in exchange for an honest review. ...more
LJ (On The Shelf Reviews)
So this is the third in the Paterson and Clocks series while it could be read as a stand alone, it does refer to the previous books so I’d personally start with the first, Their Last Words, if you don’t want any spoilers.

Paterson and Clocks are called to a crime scene where a man has been cuffed to a pole and burnt alive. They quick find out that he is no other than David Caine who’s father Billy Caine is a notorious gangster.

As their investigation progresses they find themselves blocked at ever
Joyce
Dec 02, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
2 stars

Detective Superintendent Ray Paterson and DI Johnny Clocks respond to the scene of a crime. A man has been tied to a stake and burned alive. It is later ascertained that he is Davey Caine the son of a crime kingpin in London.

Ray is well educated and soft spoken while Johnny is a loudmouth who says exactly what is on his mind. When they go to tell Billy Caine senior that his son is dead, he already knows. Johnny gets mouthy and an altercation ensues. After Johnny is dismissed, it gives Ra
peggy
Dec 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
WOW !!!!!
This is a real gritty british crime thriller par excellence, it is a real rollercoaster of a read.
I could not put this book down. I loved it.
Detectives Ray Patterson and Johnny Clocks were definitely not what i was expecting. This book has humour usually from Clocks but the action OMG. A turf war that is so violent. I could not get enough of this book.
This is the third book in the series and i have to admit this is the first time i have read this author but you can guarantee i will be
wendi wigham
Nov 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Too hot to handle

A major criminal"s son is found in the park - burnt alive. His father controls a quarter of London"s criminal activity.
It is believed Billy Caine, the father knows that his rival, Albert Tanner ordered the murder.
Tit for tat, other members of the rival gangs are killed and the gangland war escalates.
Lots of twists and turns, an anagram reveals the name of the son's killer leading to more mayhem. As usual Clocks upsets someone every time he speaks & this time he comes close to lo
Susan
Jun 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: book-reviews
Paterson is called out to the latest crime scene - a man burnt alive at an stake. It is soon determined that he is one Davey Caine, only son of criminal mastermind William ‘Billy’ Caine. Not before long a retaliation killing takes place. This is just the start of Paterson and Clocks introduction into the London underworld.
This is the third in the series and have read them all. Certainly an action book, not the usual type for me to read but I still enjoyed the story but wonder where the character
i.s. wallace
Nov 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Yet another mad thriller!

This is yet another mad thriller featuring those two loose cannons Paterson and Clocks. This time those loose lips of Clock's nearly end up costing him his life which if you have read the other two books in the series should come as no real surprise. If you like your books full of action and excitement and aren't too bothered about them being a little far fetched then this is for you.
R.L.
Dec 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is the third of Steve Parker's novel's I've read, and so far, my favorite. I look forward to more of Ray Paterson and John Clocks in the future.

This novel is about two criminal kingpins Caine and Tanner and their terrible ways and means. I found this peek into the "other" side interesting. I'm glad the police were able through not exactly "Kosher" means to overcome the evil, yet Mr. Parker left the ending open in such a way the reader can look forward to another book.
Benjamin  Thomas
Dec 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This one was definitely a page turner! Detectives Ray Paterson and Johnny Clocks are quite a pair! I love how Steve Parker has created these characters and put them in the midst of a stellar plot. I can’t say this about every book, but it was so easy to get lost in pages to find out what happens next. A gripping crime. Hidden messages. Gangsters in London’s underworld–This was quite a surprise!
Helen Bakunowich
Oct 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Five Stars

I found this book very entertaining. All characters depicted in the story were well thought out by the author. Some violence seemed unnecessary but all in all the basis of the book was the best. The two main characters, Patterson and Clocks are an interesting team with the rhetoric so good between them and with others. I like a book with humour. Well done.
Gillian
Dec 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Review

Blinking brilliant, it literally kept me on the edge of my seat. I am so looking forward to the next in the series. Highly recommended for anyone who enjoys a really twisted crime thriller.
Mr Kenneth L Mullen
Jan 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another great story

A third great story in this series featuring Inspector s Paterson and Clocks.Plenty of action with lots of twists and turns and an unexpected ending. Hopefully there will be more in the series.
Alice Macleod
Feb 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant crime series

Action packed edge of seat page turner with laugh out loud humour.
Patterson and Clocks are a great duo . Hope there are more books to come. Can't wait.

Sue Blanchard
Thankyou to NetGalley, Joffe Books and the author, Steve Parker, for the opportunity to read a digital copy of The Burning Men in exchange for an honest and unbiased opinion.
I thought this book provided a good read with well drawn characters. I was hooked from the beginning.
Worth a read
Margaret Blades
Jan 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
THE BURNING MEN

The twists and turns of the story kept me glued to the book. It was a gripping thriller as promised!
Marie
Jun 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thrilling

A griping thriller from start to finish! I hope there's a next one as if like to make sure Tanned is caught.
Helen A
Dec 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Super

Liked this one best so far...ready for next. Need to catch Tanner. These two leading characters are real "characters." Fun to have them flawed, not perfect.
Adrian  Chambers
An extraordinary mind!
Toni G
Aug 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was a 3.5 star experience for me, so I rounded up. I’ve read two of his other books, Their Last Words and The Lost Children, and I couldn’t put them down.
T'Shura Sinclair
Aug 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
A very good book
Linda
Dec 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As always, I was delighted when Joffe Books sent me an advanced review copy of one of Steve Parker’s “Ray Paterson” novels. Once more this was a really great read with plenty of intrigue and excitement. The story begins with Paterson and Clocks being called to the scene of a body which has been apparently burnt alive – a nasty crime but one which sets of a chain of events and their involvement with two of the most evil criminals in London, one of who controls the south and the other over the nor ...more

• Their Dying Breath (Paterson & Clocks, #5)
  • Child Behind the Wall (Detective Ray Paterson # 6)
  • The Guilty Man
  • Ruthless Crimes (DCI Sophie Allen #9)
  • See Her Burn (Detective Jeff Rickman #1)
  • Before He Kills Again (Detective Cassie Rowan #1)
  • Murder Among Friends
  • Darkness falls (Clara Pascal #1)
  • See Her Die (Detective Jeff Rickman #2)
  • What Lies Beneath (DI Mike Nash #1)
  • Forgotten Victim (Detective Rachel King #4)
  • The Bones of the Dead (DCI Will Blake, #3)
  • Vanish without Trace (DI Mike Nash #2)
  • Corpse Road DCI Harry Grimm, #3)
  • Best Served Cold (DCI Harry Grimm, #2)
  • Don't Scream (Detective Jeff Rickman #3)
  • Suffer the Children (DI Winter Meadows, #3)
  • Dear Mum

Paterson & Clocks (6 books)
  • Their Last Words (Paterson & Clocks, #1)
  • The Lost Children (Paterson & Clocks #2)
  • You Can't Hide (Paterson & Clocks, #4)
  • Their Dying Breath (Paterson & Clocks, #5)
  • Child Behind the Wall (Detective Ray Paterson # 6)

News & Interviews