Start by marking “The Burning Men (Detective Superintendent Ray Paterson #3)” as Want to Read:
The Burning Men (Detective Superintendent Ray Paterson #3)

The Burning Men

(Detective Superintendent Ray Paterson #3)

Discover a crime thriller full of shocking twists by one of the most exciting new authors you’ll read this year.

A MAN IS BURNT AT THE STAKE IN A LONDON PARK. HIS SMOULDERING CORPSE IS A MESSAGE OF THE MOST VIOLENT KIND.

The victim is Davey Caine. He is the heir to the criminal empire created by his father, William ‘Billy’ Caine. Billy is a notorious and violent gangster
Published December 3rd 2018 by Joffe Books thrillers and mysteries

Start your review of The Burning Men (Detective Superintendent Ray Paterson #3)
Louise Wilson
DS Ray Paterson #3

A man is burnt at the stake in a London park. His smouldering corpse is a message of the most violent kind. Davy Caine was the heir to the criminal empire that was created by his father, Billy Caine. Billy is a notorious and violent gangster who has control of South East London. Two old gangsters have grudges, but one of them kills the other ones son. The violence is unrelenting, with a shooting and another body that had been set on fire. Clocks and Paterson have their work cut
Linda Strong

Detectives Ray Paterson and John Clocks find themselves sitting right in the middle of two notorious drug lords fighting to be top dog.

They are called in to investigate the finding of a man's body. The man, identified as the son of one of the city's most notorious crime lord has been burned alive.

The war between two criminal empires results in escalating violence on the streets of London. Many more bodies will fall .. one way or another ... unless the detectives can find the killer or killers
Lou
Dec 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Burning Men, the third novel in the Detective Superintendent Ray Paterson and Detective Inspector Johnny Clocks series, is based around the intense and explosive nature of gangland warfare. As always I loved the recurring characters, especially the crime-fighting duo and main protagonists Paterson and Clocks. Although they are both fascinating characters they do fit the stereotype for investigators from this genre, however, they are so thoroughly developed that this didn't bother me as much ...more
Janet Newport
Thank you NetGalley and Joffe Books for this arc.

I have read the previous 2 books of the Paterson and Clocks series and enjoyed them a lot. While this was the same good gory fast paced and action filled story type, I was disappointed with the lack of character development …. Paterson seems to be devolving and Clocks is basically stagnant in this book. And the plot twists at the end were ridiculous. By the time I finished, it felt like the book was just a rehash / mishmash of all the silly Steven
Amanda
Dec 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely love the series featuring Detectives Paterson and Clocks and I impatiently wait for each new book in the series to be released. I eagerly snatched up my copy of the third book in the series called ‘The Burning Men’ and started to read. Blooming nora it is certainly one hell of a read that I absolutely loved but more about that in a bit.
I have developed a real soft spot for the detective partnership of Detective Superintendent Ray Paterson and Detective Inspector Johnny Clocks.
Erica Paré
Apr 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
When I began this book I had no idea that it actually had two previous books with our main characters. Because of this it took me a little longer to get into the story line and follow along with who everyone was. Once I got into the story I was hooked.

We meet two quirky police/detectives. Paterson and Clocks are hilarious together. Clocks really has a sense of humor during dark times. Even though they dont always agree, Ray Paterson knows that detective Johnny Clocks would have his back in any
Michele Zito
Jan 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This the third book I have read by Steve Parker , and I cannot wait for others to follow featuring Patterson And Clocks. What a team .
Love the story line and the two officers are so in tune with modern times and I love the way the author has made them so human, characters flaws, bad language and unorthodox methods of dealing with criminals.
Really anticipating the next book.
Michele Zito
Brian Shuck
Dec 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Can I just start by saying WOW! I realy enjoyed tis book, the story, plot, tone would stand toe to toe with any of the aclaimed cop shows and crime dramas such as THE BODY GUARD, LINE OF DUTY and THE NIGHT MANAGER. UK readers will get the refferances.

I picked those three in particular as this story sits firmly in all those worlds. Having said that the language can be a bit on the more real side (fruity).The story is well paced and does not let up from start to finish.

Having not done many
Joanna Larum
Dec 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the third book in the series with detectives Ray Patterson and Johnny Clocks and Mr Parker goes from strength to strength. The story starts with a young man burned to death at a stake, a young man who's father is the master criminal Billy Caine. Billy's empire covers the south east of London and it is odds-on that one of his rivals, Tanner, is behind his murder.
Patterson and Clocks are called in to investigate and it leads them into mixing with these shady people and discovering that
Jypsy
Jan 31, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The Burning Men is part of a series that I have not read. I tried this one, but I didn't care for how gruesome it was to me. I read bits of it and skimmed through the rest. Not for me. Thanks to NetGalley for an arc in exchange for an honest review.
LJ (On The Shelf Reviews)
So this is the third in the Paterson and Clocks series while it could be read as a stand alone, it does refer to the previous books so I’d personally start with the first, Their Last Words, if you don’t want any spoilers.

Paterson and Clocks are called to a crime scene where a man has been cuffed to a pole and burnt alive. They quick find out that he is no other than David Caine who’s father Billy Caine is a notorious gangster.

As their investigation progresses they find themselves blocked at
Joyce
Dec 02, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
2 stars

Detective Superintendent Ray Paterson and DI Johnny Clocks respond to the scene of a crime. A man has been tied to a stake and burned alive. It is later ascertained that he is Davey Caine the son of a crime kingpin in London.

Ray is well educated and soft spoken while Johnny is a loudmouth who says exactly what is on his mind. When they go to tell Billy Caine senior that his son is dead, he already knows. Johnny gets mouthy and an altercation ensues. After Johnny is dismissed, it gives
peggy
Dec 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
WOW !!!!!
This is a real gritty british crime thriller par excellence, it is a real rollercoaster of a read.
I could not put this book down. I loved it.
Detectives Ray Patterson and Johnny Clocks were definitely not what i was expecting. This book has humour usually from Clocks but the action OMG. A turf war that is so violent. I could not get enough of this book.
This is the third book in the series and i have to admit this is the first time i have read this author but you can guarantee i will be
Susan
Jun 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: book-reviews
Paterson is called out to the latest crime scene - a man burnt alive at an stake. It is soon determined that he is one Davey Caine, only son of criminal mastermind William ‘Billy’ Caine. Not before long a retaliation killing takes place. This is just the start of Paterson and Clocks introduction into the London underworld.
This is the third in the series and have read them all. Certainly an action book, not the usual type for me to read but I still enjoyed the story but wonder where the
R.L.
Dec 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is the third of Steve Parker's novel's I've read, and so far, my favorite. I look forward to more of Ray Paterson and John Clocks in the future.

This novel is about two criminal kingpins Caine and Tanner and their terrible ways and means. I found this peek into the "other" side interesting. I'm glad the police were able through not exactly "Kosher" means to overcome the evil, yet Mr. Parker left the ending open in such a way the reader can look forward to another book.
i.s. wallace
Nov 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Yet another mad thriller!

This is yet another mad thriller featuring those two loose cannons Paterson and Clocks. This time those loose lips of Clock's nearly end up costing him his life which if you have read the other two books in the series should come as no real surprise. If you like your books full of action and excitement and aren't too bothered about them being a little far fetched then this is for you.
Benjamin  Thomas
Dec 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This one was definitely a page turner! Detectives Ray Paterson and Johnny Clocks are quite a pair! I love how Steve Parker has created these characters and put them in the midst of a stellar plot. I can’t say this about every book, but it was so easy to get lost in pages to find out what happens next. A gripping crime. Hidden messages. Gangsters in London’s underworld–This was quite a surprise!
Alice Macleod
Feb 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant crime series

Action packed edge of seat page turner with laugh out loud humour.
Patterson and Clocks are a great duo . Hope there are more books to come. Can't wait.

Sue Blanchard
Thankyou to NetGalley, Joffe Books and the author, Steve Parker, for the opportunity to read a digital copy of The Burning Men in exchange for an honest and unbiased opinion.
I thought this book provided a good read with well drawn characters. I was hooked from the beginning.
Worth a read
Gillian
Dec 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Review

Blinking brilliant, it literally kept me on the edge of my seat. I am so looking forward to the next in the series. Highly recommended for anyone who enjoys a really twisted crime thriller.
Mr Kenneth L Mullen
Jan 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another great story

A third great story in this series featuring Inspector s Paterson and Clocks.Plenty of action with lots of twists and turns and an unexpected ending. Hopefully there will be more in the series.
Marie
Jun 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thrilling

A griping thriller from start to finish! I hope there's a next one as if like to make sure Tanned is caught.
Margaret Blades
Jan 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
THE BURNING MEN

The twists and turns of the story kept me glued to the book. It was a gripping thriller as promised!
Helen A
Dec 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Super

Liked this one best so far...ready for next. Need to catch Tanner. These two leading characters are real "characters." Fun to have them flawed, not perfect.
Linda
Dec 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As always, I was delighted when Joffe Books sent me an advanced review copy of one of Steve Parker’s “Ray Paterson” novels. Once more this was a really great read with plenty of intrigue and excitement. The story begins with Paterson and Clocks being called to the scene of a body which has been apparently burnt alive – a nasty crime but one which sets of a chain of events and their involvement with two of the most evil criminals in London, one of who controls the south and the other over the ...more
Marion
Dec 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This third book in the Detective Superintendant Ray Paterson series finds Ray and DI Johnny Clock called to a smouldering corpse in a london Park.
Davy Caine is the son and heir to a criminal empire, dominated by his father William "Billy" Caine. Billy is a violent gangster who controls the South east of London.
This particularly nasty crime of burning someone alive sets off a chain of events which embroil Paterson and Clocks in a vicious turf war between two aging crime lords Caine and Tanner and
Hannelore Cheney
Thank you NetGalley and Joffe Books for the eARC.
Paterson and Clocks are heavily involved in the brutal gang war of two of the biggest gangs in London. The son of one (William Caine) is found burned at a stake in a park and the retaliation war is on. The violence that follows is unrelenting, with a deadly shooting and another fiery death.
Clocks and Paterson are intense in trying to stop the carnage. In the wings is the Albanian Mafia, just waiting to take over the London underworld. The
Susan
Nov 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-reviews
Michelle Debnam
Jan 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When the body of Billy Caine's son is found smouldering in a London park Patterson and Clocks know almost immediately that this will be the first of many more bodies to be discovered... Billy Caine will stop at nothing to discover the identity of his son Davey Caine's killer and does not care who stands in his way but can he handle the knowledge that the murderer is closer than he thinks

Another fantastic novel in the Patterson and clocks series and cannot wait for the next one
Aileen  (Ailz) Grist
A very interesting read. Two old bad guys in London end up with an open feud when one of them kills the other's son. Paterson and Clocks are busy trying to bust them both before any more deaths occur. Can they? Preferably before their boss retires.

Loved the book, Clocks makes me laugh out loud.

• Shadow Crimes (DCI Sophie Allen #7)
  • Next Victim (DCI Rachel King, #1)
  • Playing with Fire
  • Murder for Money (Inspector John Crow #4)
  • He Is Watching You (Maddie Ives, #1)
  • He Will Kill You (Maddie Ives, #2)
  • Five Bloody Hearts (DCI Matt Ballard, #2)
  • Vanish without Trace
  • Missing Lies (DI Mariner #7)
  • No Right To Kill (DI Sara Ramsey, #1)
  • Fear on the Levels (Detective Kate Hamblin Mystery, #3)
  • The Woods Murder (Inspector John Crow #3)
  • Dead Guilty (Calladine & Bayliss #9)
  • He Knows Your Secrets
  • He Will Find You (Maddie Ives, #3)
  • KILLING CHRISTMAS an absolutely addictive crime thriller with a huge twist (Detective Mike Nash Thriller Book 4)
  • Two Victims (Detective Rachel King thrillers Book 2)
  • The Greenway (Mike Croft, #1)

Detective Superintendent Ray Paterson (4 books)
  • Their Last Words (Detective Superintendent Ray Paterson #1)
  • The Lost Children (Detective Superintendent Ray Paterson #2)
  • YOU CAN'T HIDE (Detective Superintendent Ray Paterson #4)