Start by marking “Red Light, Green Light” as Want to Read:
Red Light, Green Light

Red Light, Green Light

Roll into one little boy's make-believe traffic world, filled with flashing lights, zooming cars, whirring helicopters, and racing fire engines. He's turned records into rotaries, shoe boxes and books into highway ramps, crayons into lane markers, and dandelions into trees. It's a world where imagination rules and creativity abounds.

With its bouncy rhyming text and bright
Published October 1st 2005 by HMH Books for Young Readers

Start your review of Red Light, Green Light
Elizabeth Gonzalez
Mar 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
"Red light, Green light" is about a child who recreated his own experience with traffic and what the green and red light mean while being in traffic. The child is using his own imagination and creativity by using house toys to create traffic and make his own story about traffic. He is able to explain what happens when there is traffic and how cars move around traffic. Using toys can encourage literacy the child is using his language to create a life story about something that he has experience ...more
Mari
Feb 01, 2012 rated it liked it
This looks like it would be a good choice for our infant lapsit or book babies storytimes. Depending on how wiggly the group was, I might not read the whole thing - just some of my favorite pages. I can just see the grownups in our groups bouncing their little ones gently in time to the book's rhythm. Fun!
Frogs
Jan 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library-books
Simple, yet detailed. The illustrations kept my kids entertained as there are little things hiding in the pictures, and they see new every time we read it. Would make a great addition to our class library.
DiAnne Warfield
Mar 13, 2019 rated it liked it
PJ 3-13-19
Miss Sarah
Nov 28, 2017 rated it it was ok
A simple baby and up book about the road ways and red and green lights
Katy
Nov 09, 2017 rated it it was ok
There's nothing wrong with this book, it's just a bit more simplistic than I am looking for.
Emily
Mar 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
Toy cars rush and zoom with simple, rhyming text.
Eileen Seitz
Title: Red Light, Green Light
Author: Anastasia Suen
Genre: Concept Book
Theme(s): Cars, Trains, Traffic, Rhyme
Opening line/sentence: Grab your keys, rev your engines, and get ready to roll.
Brief Book Summary: The main character is a little boy who create his own make-believe traffic world that filled with flashing lights, cars, helicopters and fire engines. He is very creative and turns records into rotaries, shoe boxes into high way ramps, and much more.
Professional Recommendation/Review #1:
Heidi-Marie
A great choice for toddler storytime, as there are lots of possible directions I could use. And all of the car loving kids will like it. Bright colors to keep their attention, and the rhyming helps the book move along.

8/3/10 Worked so well in this group. They loved the helicopter motions. And the traffic sounds worked better than I thought. And some kids were happy as soon as they saw cars.

8/5/10 A tough group to work with so I'm not sure how well it went off.

3/3/11: Both groups did well with
Alicia Evans
This book was such a hit! My kids loved it, mainly because as the story goes on, we find that the entire roadway is constructed in the little boy's room. (You could tell this by the cover, but a lot of toddlers don't pay attention to the cover.) It made them realize that they could do the same and they were extremely happy with the thought. Many conversations ensued as we learned about different road sets that the kids had and changes that they would have made to the protagonist's track. If you ...more
Tiff
Jan 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
It is a successful picture book, wish it were bigger size so easier to show children during storytime. It is good for giving children a sense of traffic, red light stop, green light go. Simple words and colorful illustrations
Kristen
I think this would be a really good one-on-one read with a toddler. It was a bit more difficult in story time, as there was less time to discuss what was actually happening. But for kids who are obsessed with automobiles, this would be a great choice!
Mariela Carmenaty
Mar 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: transportation
Children will be able to learn about the different transportations and traffic patterns. The illustrations are lively and colorful. The book is full of imagination. The book structure has rhyming. The book teaches children about the different road signs.
Angela
Jul 30, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids
My 6-month-old loved the bright, bold-colored illustrations. I liked that the illustrations were of a little boy's toy town (complete with a rubber ducky) instead of a real town. Short and sweet and rhyming (always good, I say). Cute for his age, or probably also for beginning readers.
Kim
Mar 01, 2011 rated it liked it
On the fence about this one. Good illustrations, good rhyme, meh.
Paula
A young boy creates an imaginary world filled with zooming cars, flashing traffic lights, and racing fire engines.
Sylvester
Sep 26, 2014 rated it it was ok
2* art
2* story

Not bad, just not as great as some others we read.
Maggie
Oct 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: baby-story-times
Great traffic story time book for babies. Would love to use with Freight Train, and the red light/green light scarves
Ecl  Storytellers
Could use sign language for stop and go.
Annalise
Mar 14, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: third-year-books
Easy read for kids, but really no story.
Vicki
Sep 17, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture
Simple text and bright illustrations tell the story of a child creating a town with their own toys where traffic stops and goes.
Zonia
Apr 17, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-school
Young boy creates an adventure with cars, trains, planes, helicopters and much more. Good for transportation storytime.
Michelle
Mar 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Worked well in baby storytime
Beyond the Pages

• Carrot and Pea: An Unlikely Friendship
  • Oliver and His Alligator
  • Alan's Big, Scary Teeth
  • One Frog Sang
  • Nope. Never. Not for Me!
  • Three Little Peas
  • Gator, Gator, Gator!
  • Lizette's Green Sock
  • Snakes on a Train
  • There Was a Tree
  • Nighty Night, Little Green Monster
  • The Croaky Pokey!
  • Green
  • The Wizards of Once (The Wizards of Once #1)
  • We Belong Together
  • Neon Leon
  • Mama's Kisses
  • Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See?
From her studio in Northern California, developmental editor Anastasia Suen reads, writes, and edits books for creators of all ages.

News & Interviews