Start by marking “Malamander (Malamander, #1)” as Want to Read:
Malamander (Malamander, #1)

Malamander

(Malamander #1)

Malamander is told from the perspective of Herbert Lemon, the Lost-and-Founder of the Grand Nautilus Hotel, who tries to unite objects that have been left at the hotel with their owners. Other characters in the story include Violet Palma, who is lost and needs to be found, and the eponymous Malamander, who controls people’s dreams.
Hardcover
Published May 2nd 2019 by Walker Books (first published May 1st 2019)

To ask other readers questions about Malamander, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Malamander

Kai
Dec 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned
"If the impossible is possible anywhere, it’ll be possible in Eerie-on-the-Sea."

In a small seaside town that you will not have heard of, Herbert Lemon is the Lost-and-Founder of the Great Nautilus Hotel. If anyone at the hotel loses something, Herbie will find it and keep it safe for them in his Lost-and-Foundery that has existed for many a century and houses a miraculous collection of things long left behind.
When Violet Parma stumbles into the Hotel, closely followed by a mysterious and scary m
Whispering Stories
May 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Book Reviewed by Stacey on www.whisperingstories.com

Violet Parma stumbles through the window of the lost and found department at the Grand Nautilus Hotel in Eerie-On-Sea where Herbert Lemon is working. She tells Herbert he needs to hide her and fast. Soon afterward the manager of the hotel, Mr. Mollusc arrives with an old man who has a boat hook for a hand. He wants to know where Violet is, but Herbert tells them he hasn’t seen any girl.

When the pair leave Herbert wants to know who Violet is and
Alice-Elizabeth (marriedtobooks)
Listened to as an audiobook via Scribd!

I loved the narrator, he really bought the story-line and characters to life in my earbuds as I listened along. The ending itself holy heck was crazy and scary and thrilling all at the same time. Set in the town of Eerie-On-Sea, young boy Herbert is working in a hotel's lost and found department. He's busy working until the day a girl walks in looking for help. Her name is Violet Parma and one, needs hiding away from a strange man with a metal hook for a ha
Olivier Delaye
May 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Very enjoyable modern Fantasy YA by the illustrator of Harry Potter. Quick read. Fun read. Thank you, Mr. Taylor!
Kelly (Diva Booknerd)
As winter approaches the seaside town of Cheerie On Sea, the summer warmth begins to evaporate, the bustle of tourists has disappeared and the first two letters on the welcome sign disintegrate and the harbour side town becomes Eerie On Sea, a township thriving on folklore and intrigue. Herbert Lemon is the lost and founder at the Grand Nautilus Hotel, a centuries old tradition of returning lost items to their owners and finding objects that have been lost. When a wild eyed young girl stumbles i ...more
Basyirah
Mar 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, review-copies
To be perfectly honest, middle grades are not my favourite genre. I rarely read kids’ books. Nothing against them, I just don’t enjoy it that much. But if you knew me then you’d know I’ve been a fan of All the Wrong Questions by Lemony Snicket, and Malamander reminded me of the series. Like, A LOT. I really loved how the story started. It promised a mystery and it delivered. Malamander was a legend. Everyone in Eerie-on-Sea was scared of it. Most of them believed that it was true, but was Malama ...more
Hizatul Akmah
actual rating: 4.5/5

meet the adventurous Herbie Lemon, the Lost-and-Founder of the Grand Nautilus Hotel's Lost-and-Foundery; he helped to keep the long-forgotten things until someone come to claim them. it was quite a story how he got his name, though, because no one knew who he was when they found him as a baby in...wait for it....a lemons' crate.

and then, entered the brave Violet Parma asking for Herbie's help because she was lost and she needed to be found. also, apparently, a strange guy wi
Remy Lai
Jun 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mg-fantasy
LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT.
That's all.
Stephanie
Apr 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mg-fiction
This book is so clever and funny and creepy (in the best possible way) that when I read it out loud, it kept my two kids enthralled (and not fighting!) all throughout a cramped, 3-hour-long car trip. Really, that says it all! (Except I should add: I enjoyed it too.)
♠️ TABI ♠️
Dec 05, 2018 marked it as to-read
yknow this Malamander person already has my heart okay just saying
TheNatashaReads
Jul 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My rating: 5/5Review:I have always been a fan of magical creatures. Even though, I have only read a few middle gred genre books. When I received Malamander for review, the title 'Malamander' really caught my attention and interest!The main character is Herbie Lemon. He is a very kind and smart boy for a 12 years old. The story was written in his point of view. Furthermore, there is the character Violet Parma. Who is in my opinion, a very brave, smart and determine young girl. The characters in t ...more
Carol
May 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
THE MALAMANDER BY THOMAS TAYLOR

I RECEIVED THIS FREE ARC OF THE MALAMANDER THROUGH NETGALLEY IN EXCHANGE FOR MY REVIEW .THANKS AGAIN TO NETGALLEY AND WALKER BOOKS US FOR THE OPPORTUNITY .

It has been and extremely long time since i have finished a book in two days i received this ebook yesterday and finished it today . I really enjoyed the intriguing story line and the imagination and mystery with which the story was told . i was so happy and relieved when i was pulled into the story from the star
The Artisan Geek
Jun 09, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: bookcase
9/6/19:
So I was really excited about this book after having read the premise, but I was rather disappointed. What I first of all really liked about this book was the fact the location, an eerie seaside town with a mysterious monster really set the mood. The mermonkey that prescribes books was also a brilliant idea! However, there were two things that really disappointed me. The characters were really not that bright. The story just seemed like a sequence of Vivian and Herbie (but mainly Vivian)
Blue
Jun 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Malamander is an gripping adventure that feels like it leapt between the middle grade reads and the YA, not overly sure what this new genre is but damn, if it has more books like this then sign me up. Maybe a MA? Middle Adult? Not too sure but I’m starting to jot down names.
Set for adventure, discovery, treachery and friendship, you find yourself dissolving this book in one sitting, unsure of how the twists will play out. Throughout the book you come across creating ideas such as a monkey at a b
Bron
Jul 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
*thanks to Walker books Aus for sending me a free copy of Malamander*
This book was an absolute delight!
It is fun and creepy and mysterious, and I sped through it because I couldn't stop wanting to know what happened next. I'm delighted to see there more books planned, because I think we have more to discover about Herbie, Vi, and Eerie-on-the-Sea.
Jonathan
May 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids
A spooky story with a seaside setting. Herbert lemon is working in the Lost and Found Office at a hotel in Eerie-on-Sea when he finds himself helping Violet Parma in her quest to find out what happened to her missing parents. And so starts a fun, creepy story that is as much a detective novel as anything else. Really enjoyable, especially for kids who like to read things that are a little scary.
Fatinamudz
Apr 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Once you pick this book up and start reading, you can never stop. It’s really good. I love the adventure going on with Herbie and Violet.

Thank you Pansing for the review copy. Full review coming soon on my blog
Aria
Mar 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This review can also be found at Snow White Hates Apples.

Actual Rating: 4.5 stars

Thank you so much Pansing for sending me the ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review! Malamander by Thomas Taylor will be available at all good bookstores.

At this point of my life, I have ceased reading Middle Grade Fiction, mostly because I’ve ‘grown out of it’ and have found love in a handful of genres I can never bring myself to leave. So, reading Thomas Taylor’s Malamander now is perhaps a mistake,
Dying Arts Press
May 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Malamander by Thomas Taylor is a wonderful maritime mystery perfect for those who love adventure and the sea-side! The story follows Herbert Lemon the Lost-and-Founder at the Grand Nautolus Hotel and Violet Parma who are on a mission to find out what happened to her parents twelve years ago. As they try to find answers, the pair discover that their disappearance has something to do with the legendary sea-monster – the Malamander who is said to creep around the shipwreck of the battleship Leviath ...more
Matthew Galloway
Jul 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mg, fantasy
When I saw that Kate Milford had blurbed this book so favorably, I had to get a copy. The publisher was kind enough to give me an ARC and I'm so glad they did. I absolutely loved this one. I can see why they used Milford to advertise it, as I think the tone of Malamander matched some of her books quite well. I'd also say it was a bit similar to Natalie Lloyd, as well, though her books tend to be a little lighter than this one.

At any rate, this is my favorite sort of middle-grade level fantasy --
Lois (thecarrotstories)
What an exciting adventure!

Absolutely love everything about this book; from the setting to the characters to the plot. With a little splash of mystery and the adventure of discovering a mythical creature, all I could do was bury my face in its pages, immersing myself in limitless imagination.

This story is set by the seaside with a pier in a town called Eerie-on-Sea in winter and Cheerie-on-Sea in summer. I can't really imagine how the town can be crowded with tourists in summer but becomes a sil
Rhonda
This is a great story of friendship & I feel about found family. It follows Herbie Lemon, who lives in the basement of the Grand Nautilus Hotel as the Lost -and - Founder of things for the hotel and a girl who burst into his window one night and cries, Hide me!
The girl turns out to be, a Lost -and - Founder project named Violet Parma.
Violet has a mission for Herbie should he agree to be her "detective", that is what he does, right?
I really loved the adventure that they end up taking, Violet
Dirk
Jul 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thomas Taylor takes us into the world of maritime fairy-tales. You‘ll have lots of fun accompaning Violet and Herbie, the main protagonists, through Eerie-on-Sea, trying to find out more of the villages fairy-tales and seaside myths.

Violet and Herbie are dragged more and more into the Malamander myth and they drift deep in their share of serious mishaps. Until the big showdown and the solving of the mystery they have to overcome twists and turns filled with thrilling encounters.

I've enjoyed this
Jessica Shelley
Jun 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, 2019
Malamander was absolutely wonderful.

The entire time I felt nostalgic for the coast and had the desire to belong in a place like Eerie-On-Sea.

It swept me away from the first page, the voice of Herbie Lemon encapsulating, and my heart lept with joy as the story unfolded.

Gripping, folkloric, and enchanting.

I only wish that Book Dispensary's, mechanical Mermonkey's and glowing ruby wishing eggs existed.

I cannot wait to read more from Thomas Taylor, a naturally gifted writer, and delve into more
Melissa
May 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, ebooks, children-s
3.5/5 This is a fun kids book to read. I would recommend it to anyone who enjoys the Lemony Snicket books, or anything else that could be described as quirky. Some of the plot points and characters worked really well for me, while others seemed to need to be flushed out more. With the way it ended, it makes me wonder if there is going to be some sort of continuation so perhaps some of the topics touched on could be expanded. I think the idea of a mermonkey dispensing books is fabulous and there ...more
Emily
Mar 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019, arcs
RATING: 4.5/5 stars
Thank you YA Circle for this gorgeous middle grade arc! This was such a fun read although it did take me a chapter or two to get into the flow of the writing and world. Herbie and Violet are such great main characters and I loved watching their friendship blossom throughout the book. I'd be very interested to visit Eerie-on-Sea again - especially if I get to eat some of Seegol's fish and chips!
Kirstie
Read for Kids Book Club.

A fun little adventure story with a unique atmosphere. The pacing is wonderful, never letting up a moment for unneeded padding and the mix of whimsical characters is great. Also, nothing really beats a classic dastardly villain.
While I feel is doesn't bring anything new to the table, its still a good read and I enjoyed it.
Laura Noakes
May 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
UTTERLY BRILLIANT
Kasia
May 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Such a great story, I couldn't put it down and it's been a while since I enjoyed any book this much!
Noelia Alonso
May 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2019
(7.5/10)

Reviewing children's books is always kinda difficult but I really enjoyed this story and it is one children will definitely love.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Thomas Henry Taylor is a British children's writer and illustrator.

Librarian Note:
There is more than one author in the Goodreads database with this name.

Malamander (3 books)
  • Gargantis (Malamander, #2)
  • Untitled (Malamander, #3)