Start by marking “Blood Heir (Blood Heir, #1)” as Want to Read:
Blood Heir (Blood Heir, #1)

Blood Heir

(Blood Heir Trilogy #1)

This hot debut is the first book in an epic new series about a princess hiding a dark secret and the con man she must trust to clear her name for her father's murder.

In the Cyrilian Empire, Affinites are reviled. Their varied gifts to control the world around them are unnatural—dangerous. And Anastacya Mikhailov, the crown princess, has a terrifying secret. Her deadly Af
Expected publication: November 19th 2019 by Delacorte Press

To ask other readers questions about Blood Heir, please sign up.
Devon Jolly THAT is what you're worried about? People like you are the reason this author has been bullied into not publishing.
Sam They allow people to review because of ARC (advanced readers copies). The ARCS are essentially supposed to help an author with promoting their book to…moreThey allow people to review because of ARC (advanced readers copies). The ARCS are essentially supposed to help an author with promoting their book to get release say sales up. Unfortunately, there are people out there who get offended by the tiniest things and then cause the whole mess that happened with this book. One person or a few people just ruin things for everyone else.(less)

Start your review of Blood Heir (Blood Heir, #1)
Mary S. R.
Dec 13, 2018 marked it as to-read
[30 Apr 2019]
Ladies and gentlemen, it's been confirmed: BLOOD HEIR WILL BE PUBLISHED! This is not a drill I repeat this is not a drill Blood Heir will be out November 19th 2019!

To the haters, I say:

According to New York Times, this is why and how[30
Amélie Zhao
Jan 31, 2018 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Update: So, the cover is live! Andddd it's time for me to hide and never come on Goodreads again! Just kidding. Sort of?

I wanted to share the Dear Reader letter that we included in the ARCs (Advanced Reader Copies) of BLOOD HEIR. It touches upon why I wrote BLOOD HEIR, and who I wrote it for.

Dear Reader,

Four years ago, I began writing a story about a corrupt empire steeped in winter, filled with morally gray con men, deadly assassins, twisted villains, and abo
Mel (Epic Reading)
Added to post April 30, 2019
GOOD NEWS!! Zhao is publishing Blood Heir AS IS in November! http://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/29/books/amelie-wen-zhao-blood-heir.html
———————————————————————————
Added to post Jan 31, 2019
**Show your support for publication by purchasing a pre-sale copy of Blood Heir from your countries primary bookseller**
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Added to post late Jan 30, 2019
Added since author Amelie pulled her book from publishing...
Folks this is just mob-style bullying. The book is f/>**Show
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
UPDATE: This was not the day to get this email about my pre-order being void!! (And don’t preach on my post or you will be deleted. I’ve put up with enough bullshit in my 40+ years!!) It will be back to happy days when I read another great book ❌⭕

I guess I should have stayed on Netgalley so I could have read this!!!! I have been wanting this book sooo bad but some assholes bullied the author into pulling her book!!!

This is a free f*****g
Emily May
The author has confirmed that Blood Heir will publish November 19, 2019.

Candace Robinson
Update! My favorite book of the year has a new release date! 🙌🏻🙌🏻

You have no idea how disappointed I am to hear that this book will not be getting published. People need to stop getting offended over things. This is a fiction book and it was seriously my favorite so far of 2019, so I'm completely heartbroken that the author felt the need to pull her book because of bullying.

A dark retelling version of Anastasia? I'm all in! I've read one other Anastasia retelling, Heart o
Vicky Who Reads
I still have my original ARC. Undecided if I will read, because it appears very few significant edits were made.

First off, something a lot of people don't know: Asian friends! Please do not get confused--the main character is not Asian. I know a lot of people think that she is (I myself thought that), but after further digging & clarification, Ana is not Asian. Nor are the people who are enslaved. Do with that as you will.

The most recent NYT article, abridged:

"...some readers a
MischaS_
EDIT: Another November 19th 2019 publish? What's going on? However, seeing that the author most likely rewrote parts of the book... I'm a bit hesitant to read it. It almost feels like self-censoring. I'm very conflicted about this.
My hopes right now? I really need a review from someone who had a chance to read the first version.

EDIT: I made the mistake that I went back to Twitter to have a look what's new. I should not have done that. They are trying to turn this all around and make the two au
Cindy ✩☽ Savage Queen ♔
UPDATE: It has a new release date everyone!

"Your Affinity does not define you. What defines you is how you choose to wield it."

As many of you may know by now, this book has apparently been embroiled in a rather intense controversy. I say apparently because I personally have only heard of the incident through second hand sources here on Goodreads and have not in fact been following the issue on Twitter. So please understand I cannot to speak to that issue. I am just here to give my hone/>"Your
Ian
Though I have no interest in the book, after the ridiculous decision to capitulate to the sanctimonious Rent-A-Mob on Twitter I feel compelled to offer the following free advice to the author:

If you allow envious, rival authors and agents to claim for themselves the right to determine that your writing is secretly “coded” to mean what they want it to mean, rather than what you intend for it to mean, you will learn the hard way that you’ll never successfully appease these people. They
Sunny ✨wordslikefury✨
Update (⚠with Throne of Glass and Hunger Games spoilers⚠):
It’s funny how Sarah J Maas and Suzanne Collins barely got any flack for killing off the only minority characters in their books. You people do realize they’re both authors that used minority characters for the sole purpose of furthering the character development of their main white protagonist right? So if you’re going to call this author out on her insensitivity, then why aren’t you calling out authors like Sarah J Maas and Suzanne
Alaina
I have received this ARC from NetGalley in exchange for a REAL and HONEST review.

To the people who didn't give this book a chance because of other people's opinions or the ranting on twitter - shame on you. Also, fuck you because this book was so fucking good.

ALSO, tons of spoilers in this review. I didn't feel like hiding them or nothing. So read this at your own risk people.

Now I know Amelie pulled this book but since I got th
Laura Thalassa
“My definition of a free society is a society where it is safe to be unpopular.”
–Adlai Stevenson

That's all I'm going to say about this one.

Be kind, y'all. <3
Tanya Tate
Feb 01, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Edit:April 30th Nov 19,2019 is the new release date!! I'm happy for her!!

I'm kind of disappointed in myself for not requesting this when I had the chance because I wanted to see for myself what people are talking about.

The book community(cough Twitter cough) can be vicious as hell.

Yes I do agree that even PoCs authors should be held accountable when they are writing about diversity that is not their own but this....

This seems like a witch hunt to me.. Especially f
Brittain *Needs a Nap and a Drink*
I'm more interested to read this now just because of the controversy.

There is a lot of drama in the book world and some authors should address the issues raised in their books but I am not sure that the issues raised are enough to justify pulling the book from publication.

Not everything in the world is looked at through American eyes and it seems that a vocal majority has cowed this author into submission.

EDIT: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/29/bo...

This will be published on November 19, 2019.
Joshee Kun (조수아)
Why do people have to be so mean? When will the members of the YA community learn to think for themselves instead of taking the opinions of "influencers" without a grain of salt?

This drama already happened with supposedly racist books like Carve the Mark, The Black Witch, and The Traitor's Kiss. I read two of the three books and learned that people were OVERREACTING.

I feel sorry for Amélie Wen Zhao, and I hope that she will put her bashers to shame someday. I was fortunate enough to receive an ARC, so let's s
Melanie
ARC provided by the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

Blog | Instagram | Twitter | Tumblr | Youtube | Twitch
Lily ☁️
Please do not ask me for an eARC of this book to ~judge how problematic this book is for yourself~, you will not receive a favorable reply. Thank you.

// buddy read with my blogging sis <3

Blog | Bloglovin’ | Instagram | TumblrTwitter
Chelsea
Update
A newly edited version of Blood Heir is going to be published November 19th of this year. While I stand by my opinion that nothing about the message of this book needed to be changed, I'm happy that we will be provided a chance to read this story. Amelie deserves to have her book read, so look for it on shelves this Fall!

---

Curing an affinity was like trying to change the color of someone’s skin or the way someone loved.
Impossible.

Imagine this: ever since you’ve been a little kid,/>
rin ( ̄ヘ ̄)	 read/watch mo dao zu shi
here's a concept: before you start writing "russian inspired" books that has russian names in it, spare five minutes and research russian naming conventions 🤪🤪🤪 the way you form last names is literally. in top results of google.

plot twist: russian language is gendered. a woman wouldn't have a male last name no matter how much you want her to.
Tara ☽
Apr 01, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
While I think it's important for readers to be able to let authors know if the content they've written is potentially harmful, many of the criticisms I have seen of this book have been very Western-centric, and, more specifically, America-centric.

The author of this book is Asian, did not grow up in America, and based the content of her book on the human rights violations she has witnessed in modern Asia. American readers who know next to nothing about the very real issues of human trafficking a
cindy
Feb 04, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
blood heir had been on my tbr before the controversy, but i decided to look into it after seeing numerous reviews with accusations of racism. a disclaimer before i share some of my thoughts: i have not read this book, though i plan to if the author changes her mind about the indefinite release. therefore, my opinions are purely based on articles and reviews i've read online. i am neither supporting nor opposing this novel, only commenting on some of the criticisms circulating social media.

one of
Dark Lordette Jennymort ♔
YALL HAVE NO FUCKING CLUE HOW HAPPY I AM THAT THIS BOOK WILL BE PUBLISHED THIS YEAR!!! AND I CAN'T WAIT TO FUCKING BUY IT FOR MY SHELF!

description

i am so glad that i got to read this but i'm sad at the same time that no one else gets to because -

SOME PEOPLE HAVE A FUCKING SENSITIVITY ISSUE THEY CANNOT CONTROL.

description

SOME PEOPLE HAVE A FUCKING SENSITIVITY ISSUE THEY CANNOT CONTROL.

description

if you think this is racist, then you better stop loving THE FUCKING HUNGER GAMES SERIES CAUSE IT'S EXACTLY LIKE THAT. and if you read this, and think oh this is racist then you must be the dumbest idiot on the face of the earth and i hope you have a book slump for the rest of the year.

and don't @ me if you think this book was racist in any way what so ever. i don't deal with trolls. i heavily block them. cause then i'll smack you down with a whole ton of shit that 'would then be racist' in the same fucking way this book supposedly was. (view spoiler) (not in as so much a spoiler as a fucking rant from hell.)

seriously. read the fucking book and get your damn panties out of your vaginas.

*ahem*

description

I think it's pretty obvious that I am upset on the author's behalf that this book was heavily criticized to the point of harassment and put into archive and will not be published anytime soon.

This plot was amazing and the characters completely relatable! I don't know the last time when a book just flowed for me naturally to where I could see the book playing a movie in my head. The descriptions, the emotions of the characters, and the world building were fantastic!! The OTP were completely adorable and DO NOT CHANGE ANYTHING ABOUT THEM.

I hope to have this on my shelf one day as well as any other book that happens to come out after.

description

y'all. i was about to flip my shit because netgalley archived this book and i thought i missed my chance at downloading it.

but i checked my kindle and found that i did download it. *sighs*

but seriously, y'all who harassed this author need to get checked ... in not a nice way. i mean come on. y'all need to grow the fuck up.
Becca
Jan 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm so excited about this!! I was so privileged to read this book and people are IN FOR A TREAT. The setting is amazing, the characters will rip your heart out, and the writing is STUNNING. This is the kind of book that stays with you long after you finish it, and I can't wait for it to steal hearts all over the world!!!!
Laura Herondale
I don’t usually weigh in on controversies like the one surrounding this book, but I have a lot of thoughts regarding the criticisms of this author, and I wanted to share those thoughts and maybe start a discussion with you all, because I know that my opinions on this situation are shaped by my life and experiences, and I know you all have very different experiences to me, so I’d be interested to hear what you all think, especially if you’ve read this book. Which brings me onto a couple disclaime ...more
sofia ☾
Feb 02, 2019 marked it as anticipated-releases  ·  review of another edition
if awz doesn’t get to publish her debut because some of y’all don’t know how to act, we’re going to have a problem here
June Hur
Aug 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hands down, one of my favorite reads this year.

Ever since I graduated from university with a Literature degree, I've struggled to read 'for pleasure.' I forgot what it meant to read and to immerse myself in a world-- rather than analyzing and critiquing, and feeling so distant from the world created by the author. However, Amelie Zhao's prose is so gorgeous & cinematic that I found entirely lost in the world she'd created. I caught myself often rereading lines, bewitched and amazed, wonderi
Zainab
Jul 06, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Not trying to diss or anything- I'm actually really excited for this but I read it as 'clown princess' and not 'crown princess' and I'm just

Celia McMahon
Original review removed to make room for the new version.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »

• A Dream So Dark (A Blade So Black, #2)
  • Tiger Queen
  • Shadow Frost (Shadow Frost, #1)
  • Gravemaidens (Gravemaidens, #1)
  • Never-Contented Things
  • The Guinevere Deception (Camelot Rising, #1)
  • Spectacle (Spectacle, #1)
  • Girls of Storm and Shadow (Girls of Paper and Fire, #2)
  • Spin the Dawn (The Blood of Stars, #1)
  • Bloodleaf (Bloodleaf, #1)
  • House of Salt and Sorrows
  • The Weight of a Soul
  • Kingdom of Souls (Kingdom of Souls, #1)
  • All the Stars and Teeth (All the Stars and Teeth, #1)
  • There Will Come a Darkness (The Age of Darkness, #1)
  • Descendant of the Crane
  • Serpent & Dove (Serpent & Dove, #1)
  • Ruthless Gods (Something Dark and Holy, #2)
[Hi friends! I don't check Goodreads anymore, but you can find me on Instagram @ameliewenzhao and Twitter @ameliewenzhao.]

Amélie Wen Zhao is a Paris-born Chinese national who fell in love with stories since she was old enough to hold a book. Raised in an international community in Beijing, she had the opportunity to grow up steeped in the values and teachings of three different culture

Blood Heir Trilogy (3 books)
  • Red Tigress
  • Untitled (Blood Heir Trilogy #3)