Start by marking “Dough Boys (So Done, #2)” as Want to Read:
Dough Boys (So Done, #2)

Dough Boys

(So Done #2)

In the companion to her acclaimed So Done, Paula Chase follows best friends Simp and Rollie as their friendship is threatened by the pressures of basketball, upcoming auditions, middle school, and their growing involvement in the local drug ring.

Dough Boys is a memorably vivid story about the complex friendship between two African American boys whose lives are heading down
Expected publication: August 27th 2019 by Greenwillow Books

To ask other readers questions about Dough Boys, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dough Boys

Karen McKenna
Apr 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
While this story is an excellent companion to So Done, I also think it works as a stand alone story. I did read So Done, but even if I hadn't, I think I would enjoy this novel just as much. There are only a few references to Mila and Tai's story. Dough Boys follows best friends Simp and Rollie through basketball season with the Marauders, an elite basketball team in the Cove. Each chapter alternates points of view between the two boys, a really effective strategy for understanding the tensions a ...more
Autumn
Love love love the respect Paula Chase has for the social and emotional lives of middle school students and how she portrays them within a loving, complex community. Reminded me of the hundreds of Monday afternoons I spent with my library kids playing mancala, UNO, and video games, and how much was at stake for them every ding dang day.

Thanks to Edelweiss for the ARC!
Kathie
Feb 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thank you to Edelweiss+ and Greenwillow Books for an eARC of this book.

ALL THE STARS!! So Done was one of my favorite books last year, and Dough Boys will be on this year's list.

This story take place in the same location, with many of the same characters, but is told from the perspectives of Simp and Rollie. Both play on the basketball team in their neighborhood, but their coach is also a drug dealer. The two have been friends for many years, but Rollie's acceptance into a music program with TA
Ms. Yingling
Jun 12, 2019 rated it liked it
ARC provided by Young Adult Books Central

Simp and Rollie both live in the Cove, and are doing they best they can in a rough neighborhood. They are both very interested in basketball, but being on the neighborhood team, the Marauders, also means that they work as lookouts during drug sales for their coach, Tez. Simp is glad to have the money to help out his mother and younger brothers, but Rollie doesn't like the illegal activity at all, and know that his church going grandmother would not be hap
Alexis
I read Chase’s So Done and was drawn in to her world and her characters. I was very excited about seeing another novel dealing with characters in the same neighborhood. Dough Boys is told from two perspectives and is all about doing what you feel is right, supporting family, friends v family, and chasing your dreams.

I received this book as part of my Lit Review Crew and review is my own.
Kristen
Jul 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs
Edelweiss+ provided me a DRC of this book in exchange for an honest review.

This was a great companion to So Done, though really I can see recommending to to students even if they haven't read Chases' first book. The characters are older in this one, and there are a few references to what Tai and Mila went through in So Done, but this one really focuses on Rollie and Simp and the challenges their friendship faces: new friends, changing interests, drug dealing, family struggles, girls, etc.

I had i
Carli
Aug 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thanks to Edelweiss and Harper Collins for the advance Kindle copy of this book. All opinions are my own.

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐/5 for this companion to So Done and I honestly loved it even more. This time, Simp and Rollie are in the spotlight as they navigate basketball and working for their coach as more than ballers. Rollie wants out of the game, but Simp is in deep. It takes a blow up for them to realize that the game doesn’t have to define their friendship, but that it will still change things between them.
Kathleen
Jul 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book is told from the viewpoints of two urban middle-schoolers involved in basketball, music and the drug trade. It will appeal to middle grade readers for whom not much literature exists. Well-written, but does not have quite the emotional power of Jason Reynold's work ___although this sets a very high bar.
Namrata
Suzannah
Kim
Hristina
Feb 01, 2019
I'm a creature borne of pop culture. It's created a volatile mix of hope and cynicism within me that I help myself understand by putting my young characters through the world's paces.

I have a big heart for young readers. Young Adult and Middle Grade novels are my home.

And because no one lives in a vacuum, I co-founded The Brown Bookshelf to ensure that the spotlight on children's lit created by pe

So Done (2 books)