Start by marking “The Skald's Black Verse (Dreadbound Ode #1)” as Want to Read:
The Skald's Black Verse (Dreadbound Ode #1)

The Skald's Black Verse

(Dreadbound Ode #1)

Published November 6th 2018 by Amazon Digital Services

To ask other readers questions about The Skald's Black Verse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Skald's Black Verse

Start your review of The Skald's Black Verse (Dreadbound Ode #1)
Carrie
Brohr has always been shunned and hated, an outcast. His very existence the result of his mother's rape. Living with his grandfather in their village hoping to get away with one person who he thought loved him but after an incident in which she see's his rage, something that Brohr hoped to never reveal. A month lapses and he discovers that she's now with another at the Tavern, things go from bad to worse. Resulting in Brohr have too much to drink and ending the night in a fight at the docks. All ...more
Dianne
Jul 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
Dark, gritty and filled with all that epic fantasies should have, including a mysterious ghost with a penchant for haunting his twin brother. Whose rage does the violent warrior feel? Is it Brohr’s own or has his brother possessed him? Meanwhile, his war-torn land could be decimated by a deadly comet. Can Brohr become the savior of his land or will the rage consume him first? What links the present to a bloody past and who is the Skald?

THE SKALD’S BLACK VERSE by Jordan Loyal Short is rich in det
Jordan Short
Nov 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Obviously the best book of all time.
Lee Conley
Jun 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
A review of
The Skald’s Black Verse
By
Jordan Loyal Short

4.5 stars!

I picked this book up expecting a Norse themed fantasy, I like Norse themed fantasy. So I’m reading it and its starts very much as I would expect, very Norse, very fantasy. The opening scene is pretty damn brutal and there is some intriguing dark elements. Cool. Then boom! Out of nowhere, some guy flies in on some kind of inter-planetary voidship and lands in this Norse setting – Well that got my attention. I was not expecting that!
Lukasz
Dec 07, 2018 rated it liked it
In The Skald’s Black Verse, Jordan Short crafts an ambitious dark fantasy novel.

The novel’s protagonists, Brohr, has a violent reputation. When a sinister creature murders a conqueror‘s soldier he becomes the prime suspect. After miracoulously surviving the odds, Brohr sets off on a quest to save his people and uncover the truth about a war stretching back into the ancient past. With time, he discovers his fits of rage are, in reality, moments of possession by the ghost of his rage-fuelled twin
C.T. Phipps
Jul 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: grimdark, fantasy
THE SKALD'S BLACK VERSE by Jordan Loyal Short is a science-fiction fantasy novel that takes place on an isolated world at the heart of a vast interstellar empire. The planet was conquered long ago and has been ground down to a Medieval subsistence. However, with a looming natural disaster, the seeds of rebellion are planted that are aided by mysterious supernatural forces.

The world-building of this book is something that I really enjoyed. The village of Skolja is a Viking-themed Medieval sort of
Peter
Aug 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant! This is a book I have really enjoyed, a unique blend of fantasy and Sci Fi awaits you. A full review will be on my blog as part of the Storytellers on Tour blog tour coming soon.
Shalini Nemo
Dec 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
I was contacted by the author for an honest review, and I am happy to provide it.

First Impressions
Potentially triggering for some. The books opens with a traumatic birthing scene, and the pregnancy was conceived of rape.

We meet one of the major movers of the story, and this short, bloody, ugly chapter sets the tone for much for the rest of the story. Despite this, it never veers into cheesy grimdark territory, which I thought was pretty skilful. Bleak, maybe, but not that.

Characters/ Character
Rowena Andrews
Sep 11, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, indie
I was asked to describe the kind of books I liked the other day, and I said ‘fantasy, the darker, the better’ and that is very much why I loved The Skald’s Black Verse, although I would say that it is more science-fantasy that pure fantasy. I also liked that I was caught entirely by surprise when what had been set up as a world/story with Norse vibes, shifted gears with the unexpected arrival of a voidship with interplanetary invaders. For some books, this might have been a gamble too far, but ...more
Jake is Reading
Sep 10, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Ask me to list a few of my favourite tropes in genre fiction, and I’d say things like space travel, complex magic systems, and possession. While I never expected an author to Frankenstein these elements together in a single novel, this is exactly what Jordan Loyal Short has done with The Skald’s Black Verse, his first instalment in The Dreadbound Ode series.

My favourite aspect of this book is the familiar, Norse-inspired fantasy world colliding with sci-fi themes like interplanetary col
Elesha-Joy
Feb 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received a free copy of The Skald’s Black Verse in return for an honest review.

This is a dark book, and it’s at its darkest in the opening chapter. This first scene is violent, intense, and troubling but not in a way that feels like it is intended simply to shock. It provides necessary background on later events and helps explain the motivations of one of the main characters.

I found the setting of this novel really interesting and unusual. The village of Skolja, where most of the story takes p
Marco Tosolini
Mar 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
I found this book through the TBRindR-service over on reddit. Which means I got it for free, which means nothing as I say whatever the fuck I want;)
The Skalds Black Verse is the first book of a series (as seems common for the stuff I review…) and with that come some neat things and some things I didn’t like as much.
First the basics it’s a Grimdark Fantasy Novel so you can expect some darker themes and moments (and you will find them here). Here it’s mostly in some of the themes of the story and
JK
Jan 21, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle
This is an incredibly dark fantasy novel, rippling with violent magic and political malevolence.

Short is an excellent builder of worlds; the detail on Skolja’s past was intricate and encompassing. Their religion, their servitude, their closeted family secrets. All were very carefully placed and explained by Short, ensuring a well developed and intriguing world for us to find ourselves in. It’s clear he’s taken pains with it; his love shines through every single meticulous detail.

The plot itself
Abi
Feb 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
The author created a fascinating and intricate world, weaving together elements of fantasy and sci-fi, and doing an excellent job sharing the details of that world without losing the narrative. The characters felt a under-developed and flat - there was no real connection to them, making deaths insignificant. The two magic types used (native blood magic and binding) weren't ever really explained, leaving a bit of a void.
Overall, a solid read and the start to an interesting series.
I received a com
Mark Lusardi
Sep 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a dark and malevolent world Mr Short drags you in to. The detail and the completely believable characterisation results in an utterly compelling experience. This book is a masterful example of the dark fantasy genre but don’t read it last thing at night. You will end up leaving the light on lol. It is a beautiful and powerful piece of work. Well done Mr Short.

Tony
Apr 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. I don't always read fantasy novels, but thoroughly enjoyed this one. The characters were well developed and I can't wait to see what happens in the next adventure. Brohr is a fascinating character who struggles with good and bad, but will prevail...I hope.
Gary Short
Dec 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Yay! Fun read. I was impressed.
Matt McAbee
When a sinister creature murders one of the conquerors’ soldiers, Brohr’s violent reputation makes him the prime suspect. Haunted by a rage-filled ghost, Brohr’s disturbing possessions quickly become the reason for all of his troubles…and the only way he can survive. With a grandfather bent on dragging him into a failed rebellion, and a deadly comet hurtling toward his embattled world, Brohr sets off on a quest to save his people and uncover the truth about a war stretching back into the ancient ...more
Arina
Dark and bloody, with fascinating characters you'll break your heart on. An otherworldly mix of Norse themes and science fantasy, tied in with the power of song. Bloody and entrancing magic systems, and an author that plunders its cast, raising the suspense and tension with every page.

Counting the days for November 12 so I can revisit this series!
Debjani Ghosh
My Blog

I picked up Jordan Loyal Short’s The Skald’s Black Verse due to an intriguing blurb promising an amalgam of power play between demigods, rebellion in a village, doomsday foretelling, family secrets, and possibly, a journey of self-discovery. Unfortunately, the book did not live up to my expectations.

First, let us dive into what I liked in this book.

DARK FANTASY
It ticks all the boxes in the genre description – Epic Grimdark Fantasy. It is undoubtedly grim and dark due to the gory scenes po
David
Jan 02, 2019 rated it liked it
The author reached out to me through TBRindr for an honest review, and I was able to borrow the book through Kindle Unlimited.

The Skald's Black Verse is a solid debut dark fantasy novel that I liked but didn't love. The writing is great throughout, with only a few phrases feeling out of place. The plot is complicated and the world Short has built is complex, but because of this the conflicts are wide and it was hard to determine what the actual focus of the plot would be.

The story is told follow
Rishelle Short
Nov 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great story and I LOVED the characters. I can't wait for everyone else to get to know them! Congrats on your debut novel, Jordan Loyal Short. xo
Josh
Feb 26, 2020
Scott T
Jan 10, 2019

• The Legend of Akikumo
  • Knightmare Arcanist (Frith Chronicles, #1)
  • Children (The Ten Worlds, #1)
  • Hollow Road (The Maer Cycle book 1)
  • Vampires Never Get Old: Tales with Fresh Bite
  • Sorcery of a Queen (Dragons of Terra, #2)
  • The Bone Shard Daughter (The Drowning Empire, #1)
  • Along the Razor's Edge (The War Eternal #1)
  • Fish-Boy
  • The Wrack
  • The Aggressive
  • The Lessons Never Learned (The War Eternal #2)
  • A Ritual of Bone (The Dead Sagas, #1)
  • The Harp of Kings (Warrior Bards, #1)
  • Frozen Rage (Hellequin Chronicles #6.5)
  • A Dance with Fate (Warrior Bards, #2)
  • Ravishment: The first diary of Lady Jane Tremayne (The diaries of Lady Jane Tremayne Book 1)
  • Accidentally in Love

Dreadbound Ode (2 books)
  • The Weeping Sigil (The Dreadbound Ode #2)