Start by marking “Deceived by Desire (Gilded, #2)” as Want to Read:
Deceived by Desire (Gilded, #2)

Deceived by Desire

(Gilded #2)

From New York Times bestselling author Marie Force comes a glittering tale of star-crossed romance set amid the lavish mansions and decadent lifestyles of early 20th century Newport, Rhode Island. But even in an age of great fortune, the heart has its own idea of true riches …

Wealthy American industrialist Aubrey Nelson has invited the Duke and Duchess of Westbrook to vis
Published August 27th 2019 by Zebra

To ask other readers questions about Deceived by Desire, please sign up.
Andrea Irr Yes, there should be a book about Justin, he is one of the group of friends and deserves to have his story told.

Start your review of Deceived by Desire (Gilded, #2)
Anne OK
Jan 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It will be awhile before Force fans and readers see this one, but it will definitely be worth the wait. The setting in beautiful Newport, Rhode Island plays its own special part, along with two very charming, endearing and fascinating lead characters who share immediate chemistry that ignites a wonderful love story. There's an added touch of mystery and suspense added for additional entertainment. I simply loved this one from start to finish.

Be sure and catch the first book in the Gilded series
Guilty Pleasures Book Reviews
Marie Force’s Gilded series does not break any new ground in the historical romance subgenre, other than being a little more sexually explicit than the historicals I found on my mom’s bookshelf back in the day, but I am really enjoying these characters and their stories. Even though I knew the direction the story would go, I was still completely invested in these characters and what the next page would bring. The backdrop of the social season in Newport, RI, and those lovely beach “cottages” of ...more
Sakshi *the bookish romantic*
Things started well in the book with Aubrey, the owner of the mansion meeting Maeve, the housekeeper. I felt giddy hoping it to be the start of a spicy romance. And then everything started going downhill from there.

Maeve Brown was the Irish housekeeper of the palatial house of the Nelsons. The start of the book hinted that Maeve had an aura of independence and strong headedness but nothing of the sort was reflected in later parts of the book. She was more like a meek puppy than a woman who faced
Robin Loves Reading
My Rating: 4.5 Stars

Aubrey Nelson is a wealthy man - new money, as it were - and has very good friends that include the Duke and Duchess of Westbrook. Aubrey has invited them, as well as other dear friends to summer at his mother's estate.

As Aubrey's father is ill, he arrives ahead of his parents. This turns out to be a very good thing. His mother is a tyrant to the fullest extent and had upset her household staff when she was last there that they left the house to ruin. When Aubrey steps into t
Lori D
The early 20th century was a fascinating time in history with so many advancements taking place. But the class differences were still there and Marie Force takes us into the romance that happens between a wealthy American and the housekeeper of his family's seaside cottage. Set at the shore in Newport, the hero Aubrey goes ahead to the cottage to make sure everything is ready for so the important guest soon to arrive,
He finds much more than a house in upheavel though.. The lovely Irish housekeep
Niki (mustreadalltheromance)
When wealthy American Aubrey Nelson arrives at his family's lavish Rhode Island summer home just three weeks before his illustrious guests, and friends, the Duke and Duchess of Westbrook, he's shocked to find the house in complete disarray. When he finds only the rather alluring new housekeeper in residence, he is instantly attracted and vows to spend as much time with her as possible. There's an enormous amount of work to be done and he's happy to spend more time with Maeve Brown, and Aubrey co ...more
Kelsie Maxwell
Sep 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley-read
Deceived by Desire by Marie Force is book two in her Gilded historical romance series.

Aubrey Nelson arrives at his family home in Newport, Rhode Island to prepare for a visit from his friends the Duke and Duchess of Westwood. He encounters the new Irish housekeeper, Maeve Brown, and is immediately enamored. He promises to protect her but is he aware of all that he may have to protect her from?

Marie Force continues her success in the historical romance genre. I enjoyed Deceived by Desire and gi
Elodie
Jul 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I did not knew Mrs Marie Force was publishing Historical romance, she was a contemporary romance author to me. Why I have not yet read one of her work.
I do not know if it is me or the time period sets for this book, but I find it so much more modern than the historical romances have read so far.
The writing style is smooth and the plot flows without any bump.
It was Cinderella with a bit of suspense.
Once I was over this change of writing style, I surely enjoyed Maeve and Aubrey’s story.
It was lus
Elodie
Jul 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The writing style is smooth and the plot flows without any bump.
It was Cinderella with a bit of suspense.
It was lus
DNF at 20%. I didn't much like the first one in this series, and I liked this one even less. I do like her Green Mountain/Butler Vermont books, so if you want to try a Marie Force, read one of those. 1.5 stars. ...more
Anne
Jul 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Deceived by Desire by Marie Force is the second in her Gilded series, following Duchess by Deception. Aubrey Nelson has arrived at his parents' "cottage" in Newport to prepare for the arrival of his family and his summer guests. He is appalled to discover that the staff from the previous summer was so disgruntled with their treatment that instead of closing up the house, they had left open all the windows and had purposely left food in some rooms for maximum damage. He discovered that a lone wom ...more
Kathy Dunn
Aug 16, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
As one who began reading romance in my teens, I read only regency stories. That changed and I have now found myself back to reading some - Marie Force’s Gilded series to be exact. I have always enjoyed Marie’s writing style and she now has this series (set in the early 1900’s) it one not to be missed.
The early 1900’s was an exciting time. The beginning of the Industrial Age evolving into changes for men and women. This book envelopes those changes. It is the story of Irish girl Maeve Brown and
Bobbie
Aug 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another wonderful story by Marie Force. I always look forward to reading her books, and although today I read mostly contemporary romances, I started reading romance when historical romance was about all there was. It was so interesting to read this historical romance and the fact it actually took place in the early 20th century made it even more fun. I had read the previous book, but if you have not, don’t be afraid you won’t know what is going on. One of my favorite reasons for reading Ms. For ...more
Heather
Aug 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
This second historical romance by Marie Force is another winner and I truly hope we will see more of these delightful characters in the future. Set the summer after Duchess By Deception, this is the story of Aubrey Nelson and his rather inappropriate choice of a bride. Not only is Maeve the family housekeeper, she's Irish and she's accused of murdering her first husband! Now if that isn't cause for scandal with Newport Society, what is?
Once again Marie Force has written a very engaging romance t
Marla Dudak
Sep 14, 2019 rated it did not like it
Not very good. The lord or the manor falls for the Irish housekeeper in 1903 Newport.
Claudine Gaspar
Sep 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this historical fiction piece. Especially because I’m from Rhode Island. A very interesting plot. Does Aubrey marry the woman he loves knowing his snob of a mother would disapprove? She doesn’t want her son with a maid.
Kim
Sep 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Good, Good, Good!

Every day life is surrounded by deceit and deception if you allow it to be. This story draws love into the center of forbidden "royalty rules". Glad to see hardworking common folk find love. If only it was possible in real life. Way to go Marie.
Glenda I Huff
Sep 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Captivating

I was completely enthralled with this story. I knew mom was up to something.I kept thinking thru the story that she had something deceitful going on.
Nina Spiritoflife
So awesome!

This story was as good as the first one. I absolutely loved it!!! The fact that there is history and the way they lived back in the dsy. Oh, and u can't forget the drama!!!
Teresa Mottola
Perfect!

This book is so good! I love Aubrey and Maeves story. It's crazy how arrogant and wicked his mother was, glad she got her due!
Beth Ann Garcia
Sep 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Charming, helps you believe in true love.

However, may come off as cliché....The whole series pretty much banks on love at first sight. That being said, I couldn't put it down.
Loretta Cerrato
Sep 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book what powerful characters any chance a third book for Justin
Vicki Connor
A delightful journey through the Gilded Age

I enjoyed book 2 in the Gilded series even better than book 1and that is saying a lot. The characters and the descriptions of the of the customs and culture or the era plus the descriptions of the properties and Newport itself made me feel like I was living during that time. Before this series I was not a fan of this genre but read the first one because Marie Force wrote it. I was not disappointed. It is a winner!
Betty John
Sep 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Outstanding as always. This is the 2nd book in Marie’s historical series and this book didn’t disappoint expectations. All of Marie’s faithful readers know the caliber of writing we are going to get with every new release and this book was everything we love. I highly recommend this book as well as the others written by Marie.
Patricia
Sep 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
One of top 5 favorites authors. She keeps outdoing herself. Thank you Marie for your Books.
Erin
Aug 31, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Marie Force was an unexpected and lucky find for me years ago and I have read almost everything she has written. When she entered the historical romance world with her first book in this series, I was skeptical because she writes contemporary romances that are very character driven and addicting. I am so glad gave this series a chance and I was please that book #2 held up!
Nancy McGee
Just a delightful book.

What a fun sweet story, made even more delightful after having been to some of the glorious homes in Newport. I loved the characters, they were lovely, interesting, and fun. I enjoyed reading this book very much.
Shelly Carter
Another Amazing book

As always this book was fabulous. All the details about the Newport season and the fame and foolery of the time shines in this beautiful book. The characters and storyline was excellent. It made me stop everything and just read.
Shirley
Aug 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
So good and fun to read the weekend I’m officiating a wedding in Newport. Made the location visualizations very real. I especially like the Author’s Notes at the end, with character name origins and family history. Ready for Justin’s story!!
Pat Loop
Aug 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Entertaining enjoyable story of passion and intrigue. Newport RI. in the gilded age with historical insights is magical. The love story of Maeve and Aubrey is one to remember. Hope there will be more in this series.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Captivating In Love (The Maverick Billionaires, #6)
  • As Long As I Have You (London Sullivans #1)
  • There Goes My Heart (Maine Sullivans, #2; The Sullivans, #20)
  • The Minx Who Met Her Match (The Brethren #4)
  • Never Have I Ever With a Duke (The Spitfire Society #1)
  • Wild Ride (South Florida Riders, #1)
  • Dukes, Actually (12 Dukes of Christmas # 5)
  • The Duke Is But a Dream (Debutante Diaries, #2)
  • When You Kiss Me (Maine Sullivans, #3; The Sullivans, #21)
  • Wild Tendy (IceCats, #2)
  • How to Love a Duke in Ten Days (Devil You Know, #1)
  • Claiming Sarah (Ace Security, #5)
  • Fast Lane
  • Hard Asset (Cobra Elite, #2)
  • Power Play (Nashville Assassins: Next Generation, #2)
  • One Night of Temptation (Wicked Dukes Club #6)
  • Christmas Angels
  • Forever Ventured (Forever Bluegrass #12)
Marie Force is the New York Times bestselling author of contemporary romance, romantic suspense and erotic romance. Her series include Gansett Island, Fatal, Treading Water, Butler Vermont and Quantum.

Her books have sold nearly 10 million copies worldwide, have been translated into more than a dozen languages and have appeared on the New York Times bestseller more than 30 times. She is also a USA

Gilded (2 books)
  • Duchess by Deception (Gilded, #1)