Start by marking “The Blacksmith Queen (The Scarred Earth Saga, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Blacksmith Queen (The Scarred Earth Saga, #1)

The Blacksmith Queen

(The Scarred Earth Saga #1)

When a prophesy brings war to the Land of the Black Hills, Keeley Smythe must join forces with a clan of mountain warriors who are really centaurs in a thrilling new fantasy romance series fromNew York Timesbestselling author G.A. Aiken.

The Old King Is Dead

With the demise of the Old King, there’s a prophesy that a queen will ascend to the throne of the Black Hills. Bad
Published August 27th 2019 by Kensington

To ask other readers questions about The Blacksmith Queen, please sign up.
Maria I don't believe that Shelly/G.A. has said when the next one will arrive. My best guess would be around late august to mid november next year as that…moreI don't believe that Shelly/G.A. has said when the next one will arrive. My best guess would be around late august to mid november next year as that has been her Dragon Kin release slot previously.

I would love to see one sooner than that, so please prove me wrong Shelly/G.A.!(less)

Start your review of The Blacksmith Queen (The Scarred Earth Saga, #1)
Corina
Feb 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
OMG OMG OMG OMG - a new series by the queen of crazy shifters

I'm counting the days...

The Blacksmith Queen is the FIRST book in a brand new series. And I was elated when I realized that EVERYTHING I loved about the Dragon Kin series is incorporated into this new series.

The awesome and rambunctious characters. The over the top family dynamic that makes me crack up. The action. And the strong women that really are the center of it all. Everything I love and adore about this author's books
Zainab
Aug 15, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: arcs, 2019-releases
ARC provided by Netgalley in exchange for an honest review

I hate using the word 'disappointment' for a book (I don't know why) but this was a disappointment.
One thing that matters a lot to me about a book is the dialogues. The dialogues were just so... bleh. I mean honestly they kind of felt childish considering the MC is above 20 (I'm not even sure what her age is tbh)
I really wanted to like this but unfortunately I did not.
Natalie ✩★ The Biblioholic ★✩
Shelly Laurenston... where have you been all my life? You gave me a story I could REALLY sink my teeth into. The Blacksmith Queen is full of non-stop action mixed in with colorful characters, witty banter, obnoxious silly fun, hilarious hijinks, and plenty of OTT moments to leave me quite entertained. I love when I try a new-to-me author and instantly become a fan. This story had swords clashing, magical elements, centaurs, dwarves, elves, and a mighty hammer. The women were fearless and the men ...more
Aisling Zena
5/9/19

4 stars

This was bloody and gory and fantastic. Keeley Smythe was a great heroine and one that I will love following. Her and her family made for some very entertaining reading. Shelly Laurenston/G.A.Aiken keeps faithful to her formula with multiple POVs and quirky characters.

description

The book takes place in the same world as her Dragon Kin series and I loved the way SL/GAA connected the two. The introductions of Centaurs, Elves and Dwarves made me feel like I fell head first in a more fun and gory
Mindy Lou's Book Review
This was totally my jam! What a fun book. I just recently learned that G.A. Aiken is another penname for Shelly Laurenston, so I was thrilled to dive into this book.

It had everything I know this author provides. Her specialty in that quirky sense of humor she has, as well as an entertaining cast of characters and storyline.

You are getting quite the variety of characters in this book. Just in book one there were witches, Centaurs, Dwarves, dragons, elves, demon wolves and more. I have a feeling
Angela (Angel's Guilty Pleasures)
Audio Dec. 2019: WOW!! The audio was AMAZING and so much fun. It felt like the first time reading The Blacksmith Queen. I can't wait for the next book.

The Blacksmith Queen is book one in The Scarred Earth Saga by G.A. Aiken.

It’s in the same world as her Dragon Kin series, but with new characters and locations. We get demon wolfs, centaurs, dwarfs, and a verity of characters.

I love G.A. Aiken’s Dragon Kin series, so when I heard we where going to be visiting the Centaurs well I was ecstatic. I
NAT.orious reads ☽
2 unroyal
This book is for you if… you find dialogue-driven and silly new adult fantasy novels appealing.

Preface.
Anybody checking out my updates on this book should know I tracked this book a while ago already on here and then realized that what I was actually fawning over was this Realm of Knights fantastic NetGalley read.

[EDIT: I just found out G.A. Aiken has a dog on her Amazon profile and now I'm crushed I don't love her book. Dog people unite.]

Overall.
’What the fuck,’ he muttered to
Maja  - BibliophiliaDK ✨
FELT LIKE A CARICATURE OF A FANTASY NOVEL - AND A BAD ONE AT THAT

Actual rating: 1.5

I read a lot of fantasy. It was the genre that first made me fall in love with reading. So I might be a bit biased. This book seemed to make a joke of the fantasy genre and that really bothered me. I am all for trying something new and expanding the genres in innovative ways. But this one just piled bad on top of bad.

THE THINGS I DISLIKED

Dialogue: About 85% of this book was dialogue. There were no passages that
Tucker
Mar 12, 2019 marked it as not-released-tbr  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
Is that Cinder vibes I'm getting?

| Goodreads | Blog | Twitch | Pinterest | Buy this book
Ivy Deluca
Jul 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: _arc-reads, fantasy
description
The Sitch
This tale begins when the old King dies, his family immediately splitting into different factions, killing each other and anyone unfortunate enough to be close to them in the quest to become the next ruler. However, a prophecy foretells the rule of a new Queen. A commoner. Someone who’s going to be facing some big, big, deadly problems….

Anyhoodle, Keeley, our blacksmith heroine, is a caretaker by nature. Her parents depend on her to help them on their farm, run the family forge (a
Bex (Beckie Bookworm)
43129821._SX318_-1.jpg

3.5 Stars.
I have read this authors dragon books and enjoyed them a lot so had high hopes for this new fantasy series and was pleasantly optimistic.
This was set in the same fantasy world but also completely separate so no need to have read that series before.
So this was told from multiple POV's and was set amid a civil war and power struggle by the son's for the human throne after the death of there father the previous king.
This is, in my opinion, is not really a love story it's predominantly a
Mellie Antoinette
Sep 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Humorous, super cozy chill, and enjoyable!
Carrie
Sep 13, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: netgalley
The Blacksmith Queen by G.A. Aiken is the first book in a new fantasy series The Scarred Earth Saga. G.A. Aiken was a new author to me so I was not familiar with previous work but have read this series is set in the same world as an earlier series. Most readers are saying you do not need to be familiar with it however I felt a lack of world building in here and wondered time and again if I had missed something.

The story is this fantasy is told from multiple points of view during a time when
boogenhagen
Sep 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019, pnr-fantasy
I had a really great time with this one and laughed myself silly. Tho I can't wait for the sister to try to take on Anwyl- that made me laugh even harder.
Stacey is Sassy
I want more...NOW!!

The funny thing about listening to audiobooks is that you can lose track of where you're at. When you hold a book in your hand, you can see how many pages are left. You know by how many pages are left whether you're going to get a rushed ending or, heaven forbid, a cliffie. A few times, I can admit to getting to the end of an audiobook and sitting up in shock in a *what...what...what...where's the rest* feeling. The end of The Blacksmith Queen felt a bit like that for me.
Alaina
I have received this ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

WHEN CAN I GET THE NEXT BOOK?

The Blacksmith Queen was such a fun book to read. I honestly couldn't put it down once I started (which is really hard for a fiscal year end close). Ever since the first sentence in this book, I was in love. I couldn't wait to meet all the characters and fall even more in love with this book.

Yeah, it happened. I fell in love.

Even after an interesting beginning (which was quite humorous) we meet
Michele
Aug 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
4 1/2 "fantastical" stars!

The Blacksmith Queen delivers a new fantasy series, complete with a kick-ass heroine and a full slate of supporting characters, including a love interest that is perfect for her, a crazy family and some freaky, demonic wolves.

Keeley is an unlikely choice to be Queen but apparently she's destined for it. Not only that, the people need her to be Queen since all of the royals preceding her have been evil and self-centered and the current Queen is the worst yet. To
Al *the semi serial series skipper*
Stop everything you're doing and read this book!

This was amazing! I got this book when it came out and then completely forgot about it. I started it last night and I had to weigh the pros and cons of sleep because I couldn't stop reading.

It was hilarious. I have read some reviews saying the humor bordered on annoying especially since some of the things were serious, I didn't find it so. I loved every bit of the humor. The constant bickering of Keeley and Gemma, Keran constantly sleeping off and
♠️ TABI ♠️
the blurb: 'a clan of mountain warriors who are really centaurs'

me, who adores oddball fantasy: yEssssssSsss

sees the author's bio & various shirtless covers of the other books she's written:
'When she’s not writing about sexy dragons, she’s writing about sexy wolf, lion, tiger, and other fang-filled predators'

me, who prefers to avoid "sexy" books: . . . yay
Marta Cox
Jul 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
When I choose to pick up a book by this author no matter what name she uses I know it's going to be a wild and hilarious ride. So discovering this is set within her Dragon Kin world had me positively salivating ! Does she include a Dragon I wondered and oo is this author sneaky because she not only expands the universe I absolutely love but adds Centaurs !
Ok the important things you should know are our heroine is Keeley and she's rude, she's a bit surly and she's very violent. Ok I'm not
Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)

G.A. Aiken, one of my favorite authors of Fantasy Romance, has a brand new series out! I’m so excited about this because I love her humor and worldbuilding style and I was curious to see what this new series is about.

Since I know many of you will ask, I think it’s very different in style and tone to her Dragon Kin series. I would say that this book kind of falls in line with her more recent Laurenton books which tend to be more violent. I’ve kind of grown used to this because all the
Kate's Corner

With that sentence I was hooked and boy did it get bloody fast. The Old King is dead and his sons are fighting for the crown and they are brutal, cruel and have no mercy.

Keeley is one of the kindest heroine’s I have met who really knows how to swing a hammer and is so oblivious to everything that you can’t help but not love her. She has her demon wolves with eyes of flames, the wild horses are her
Lady Heather

Publication Date: August 27, 2019

"5 - Just when you think you've seen it all, Stars!"

Holy Hell G.A. Aiken writes paranormal romance like no one else!

This book was WICKEDLY funny, OUTRAGEOUSLY over-the-top, and VISCOUSLY violent.

I found this book was a mixture of Stardust, A Game of Thrones and The Lord of the Rings

It was extremely entertaining and I absolutely loved Keeley's character. She was strong, kind, loyal, and compassionate.

This is who I pictured when I was reading her character.

Tara
Aug 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, read-in-2019
This book is SO much fun. There's a minor romantic element to it and otherwise is all of the badass women you can handle in a fun fantasy setting. Not f/f like my usual reading, but I'm so glad I read it.
Christi M
Aug 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, netgalley
In this new fantasy book series, we get to see the rise of a new queen, who happens to be a blacksmith. However, the rise to the throne isn’t always easy, and along the way we get to meet centaurs, dwarves, elves, barbarians, dragons, and more.

Thoughts:

“The great king had barely taken his last breath before one brother took the head of another.”

I loved this opening line. I loved how there’s no delaying the start of the story – it just gets right into it. What then follows within this prologue is
Taryn Pierson
I have a very low tolerance for violence, but I make an exception for G.A. Aiken (who also publishes under the name Shelly Laurenston). Her brand of gore is so…gleeful? that I’m too busy holding my gut laughing to be bothered by blood spurting or bones breaking. This is a fantasy romance with a dragon shifter hero, which is as awesome as it sounds, but the bigger draw is Keeley, the broad shouldered, hammer wielding heroine who will cheerfully smash a man’s balls to pulp if he crosses her. ...more
Kara-karina
Oct 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
If The Blacksmith Queen were a movie it would have been directed by Taika Waititi. Because when I think of Keeley Smythe, all that comes to mind is Thor: Ragnarok. Deadpan humour at its finest.

I think I read G.A. Aiken once a long time ago and wasn't impressed, but this book changed my mind and made me want to grab something else written by her. On audio especially, it's a pure comedic delight.

I know I repeat myself. However, Keeley, her family and the supporting cast steal the limelight
Nen & Jen
Read this review on our blog Nen and Jen

CURSING, FEMINISM AND A HAMMER TO RIVAL THOR’S…THIS BOOK WAS A PERFECT MIX OF HUMOUR, DEATH AND KICK-ASS HEROINES.

It’s been a long time since I’ve enjoyed the crazy, witty humour of G.A. Aiken. This book did not disappoint. As a fan of her earlier Dragon Kin series, I was holding high hopes for this book. It’s not often you find an author that can spin a tale of deceit, civil-war and love with a resounding dash of humour and characters you cannot but hope
Andrea
Aug 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Where has this author been all my life??? This was so deliciously dark and twisted, one amazing, hysterical ride from start to finish.

The old king is dead. His sons start fighting for the throne. But then they hear a farmer's daughter is prophesied to become the next queen - and so is her blacksmith sister. What follows is a wild and brutal battle for the throne - alliances are formed, trusts broken, and only one can have the throne...

I adored both the strong (slightly crazy) heroines at the
Cindy ✩☽ Savage Queen ♔
Rating ~3.5

A fun, easy to read, fantasy with all your favorite mythical creatures. Dragons, elves, dwarves, and centaurs, oh my!

Keely is not your typical heroine. What with her muscles, broad shoulders and propensity to help anyone and anything in need. Not because she's naive, but because she's confident she can take down any threat that may arise. And honestly, she certainly lives up to her confidence.

But is not just Keely who kicks ass. It is her entire family.

Gemma, her War Monk sister,

• Sapphire Flames (Hidden Legacy, #4)
  • Archangel's War (Guild Hunter, #12)
  • The Wind's Call (The Broken Lands, #4)
  • In a Badger Way (Honey Badger Chronicles, #2)
  • Promise of Darkness (Dark Court Rising, #1)
  • Reluctant King (Reluctant Royals #1)
  • Dark Matters (Class 5, #4)
  • Aurora Blazing (Consortium Rebellion, #2)
  • Shadows (Dark in You #5)
  • The Orchid Throne (Forgotten Empires, #1)
  • Sweep of the Blade (Innkeeper Chronicles, #4)
  • Sound's Familiar (Terra Noctem #1)
  • Immortal Born (Argeneau #30)
  • The Rogue King (Inferno Rising, #1)
  • Slay All Day
  • The Return (Shifter Planet #2)
  • Scales and Skeletons (Trixie Towers, #2)
  • Oath Sworn (Jacky Leon Book 1)
A.K.A. Shelly Laurenston

New York Times and USA Today Bestselling author G.A. Aiken, Originally from Long Island, New York, lives on the West Coast and spends most of her time writing and making sure her rescued Pittie doesn’t love everyone into a coma. When she’s not writing about sexy dragons, she’s writing about sexy wolf, lion, tiger, and other fang-filled predators under the name Shelly
“She smiled again. "Are all centaurs as confident as you?"
"Yes. We're centaurs. We're amazing.”
4 likes
“Life is too short to go around hating things I know nothing about. My ignorance doesn’t mean others should suffer.” 3 likes