Start by marking “Refuge” as Want to Read:
Refuge

Refuge

(Full Circle #1)

BOOK 1 IN THE BEST-SELLING FULL CIRCLE SERIES
Will the danger that stalks them destroy their life together before it begins?

When Rachel Johanssen dared Beth Morgan to answer a personal ad in The Rancher’s Journal, she never thought her citified friend would become a bona fide rancher’s wife. Now Rachel, too, is falling in love with the glorious valley…as well as with Dirk
Published June 19th 2001 by WaterBrook (first published January 1st 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Refuge, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Refuge

Michele
I wanted to give this book 3 1/2 stars but that is not an option. When I first started the book, it was enjoyable enough the storyline was very predictable. It then took a turn that I wasn't expected and made the book much more interesting. The Christian aspect of this author's work was more in front than the first one I read. It did manage to make life in rural Montana somewhat enticing but not enough to make me want to move there.
April
Rachel, a big ad executive in San Francisco, goes to visit her friend Beth in the Elkhorn valley of Montana. Along the way she falls in love with Dirk Tanner. Unfortunately, there is a bad guy in the form of a ranch hand, Alex, who causes immense grief for Rachel and Beth and her husband Matt.
All eventually works out as it must in a romance.
There is overt references to God. It was nice to see the personal relationships with God develop, but if you aren't into Christian fiction you might want to
Jenelle
Right after I complained about wishy-washy religious devotion in one book, I stumbled into one that was almost completely the opposite. It was *almost* overkill, but I'll get to that in a second.

First of all, I want to clarify that this was NOT the cover that I saw-- mine was a completely benign mountain valley. If I had seen this, I probably would have skipped it.

Second, one of my favorite series' is by this author, and I had read one of her other books, too, though it wasn't as great. And si
Carolyn Tye
Fun. Easy read. Pretty much predictable.
Colletta Miller
Oct 17, 2016 rated it liked it
Started out a bit cliche but picked up through the second half.
Stacy
Jan 27, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Denise Kettering
This book is pretty predictable in that you know from the beginning that the two characters are going to fall in love, but that it is going to take some convincing to actually get them together by the end of the book. Despite its predictability, fans of the genre will find it a good read and a generally quick read. Bergren does not simply brush over questions of faith or tragedy and the characters actually have a few flaws that keep them from becoming simply caricatures.

The book is really two no
Wendy Sparkes
Jun 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
Enjoyed this 1st book in the Full Circle Series - Listened to the audiobook version of this story.

#2 Torchlight (Full Circle) by Lisa Tawn Bergren
#3 Pathways (Full Circle Series #3) by Lisa Tawn Bergren
#4 Treasure (Full Circle) by Lisa Tawn Bergren
#5 Chosen (Full Circle Series #5) by Lisa Tawn Bergren
#6 Firestorm (Full Circle) by Lisa Tawn Bergren
Samantha
Jun 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm going to be straight forward, when I read the back of the book I knew how these stories were gonna go. Boy meets girl, fall in love in a week, girl leaves, realizes she messed up, and be back. Of course that is how most loves stories go. I originally read Waterfall from Lisa's YA series and enjoyed her style of writing. I wanted to try her adult books and was not disappointed.

Story lines that are continuously done sometimes are hard to read. I enjoyed how Lisa introduced her characters and
Beverly
Jun 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Happiness

Rachel and Emily both different but each think they know what's best for them. Oh how each were wrong but not until they meet God, Dirk, and Jake in the beautiful country of Montana. We think we know what we want in all things especially love but if we would stop and ask God we would find that's not always the truth. I love the way the author showcases me being God loving men. A good read...
Brenda
Apr 28, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I listened to this book while exercising. This book had some deep emotions in it. There were times I laughed-out-loud while listening to this book. Other times I wanted to cry. The author did a great job developing the characters so they seemed really human. The setting was described vividly. Even though the author followed the typical outline for a "Christian" story, I still enjoyed the time spent with the story. I will seek out this author again in the future.
ChrisGA
Two parts
First part-Love on a Montana ranch between rancher and a city girl. What do you do if you live 800 miles apart and don’t have a chance to get to know if they are meant to be together. Sexual harassment, drunk driving, kidnapping, and a friend’s miscarriage add conflict to the romance.
Second Part---homeless young woman found almost frozen to death and is taken in at the Tanner ranch. All is well until Jake’s mother shows up. Sweet romances with interesting characters.
Susan
Jul 09, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
My eyes are sore from all the eye rolling that I did while listening to this book. Ugh! So freaking mushy and the dialog is sooooo fake! No man would ever speak the way this guy does or so the things he does and what's more... no woman would want the man to. Gag, blah, ugh and all the other vomitous (that's a word right?) noises a person can make. Don't waste your time!
Marie
Jan 25, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have read this book a number of times over the years. It just a sweet love story. Lisa's more recent series (The Homeward Trilogy and the Gifted series) are amazing. This author has grown and developed into an accomplished writer over the years. I'm so impressed with her progress and the stories she puts out.
Heather
Nov 28, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-borrowed
Awesome story... can't wait to get to the next one! This book was one I didn't want to put down, very easy to read... pulling you into each character. Bergren writes well to keep your attention & has many different spots in here where you'll need the tissues. I love how she is able to weave everyday life, walking with God - - even coming to God throughout the story!
Diane
Feb 06, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This must be one of Lisa's earlier books. The Full Circle series is written simply...a little too simply for me. If you'd like an easy read and a light romance novel then this is what you'll find within it's pages.
Alisha
May 22, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3 1/2 stars really--not a bad read, had a feel good vibe and liked the characters, but the writing was a little more simplistic than I would have liked at times. Overall a nice, compelling read.

Romance: clean
Michelle
Jul 26, 2012 rated it liked it
It's really two books in one. The first story follows Rachel and Dirk and the second one is about Jake and Emily. Both are light reads and I'd probably give them 3 1/2 stars. I enjoyed the setting of the books, in the mountains of Montana.
Calebsmyboy
I really love her books. Anything written by her. She's got the love story I like but also a Christian message. I started reading her books in college. I'm always excited to find a new one by her. Check out Tresure, Chosen, Torchlight, Pathways and many others by her.
June
Jul 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
This was my first introduction to Lisa Tawn Bergren. The Full Circle Series was good from Book 1 to Book 6. The stories are interwoven and it's fun to read about what happens in all the characters lives. I've read this one several times!
Theresa
May 30, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Story is two parts, two relationships. I barely made it through the first part. I couldn't make myself continue when I realized it was going to be more of the same drivel with different characters. I won't read another of her books.
Joan
Jun 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was a wonderful read, uplifting and spiritial. What a wonderful clean romantic novel, a welcome change to my usual reads.
Enjoy
Bonnie Lewis
Predictable. Slow . Splits into another book and another relationship . Oh no!
Angela
I loved the Waterfall series by this author so I am trying out some of her other books.
Heather
Sep 22, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I listened to the audio version and I didn't care for the narrator so I think that decreased my enjoyment of the book.
Jun 10, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed the two stories contained in this book. It's always fun to read about people living on a ranch, especially when there are horses. Fun, light reads. I hope to read the rest in the series.
Ty
Sep 15, 2009 rated it really liked it
She is a new author for me and I really enjoyed reading this book
Nikki
Jul 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
A romance worth the read.
Rhonda Buedefeldt
Oct 25, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Am really enjoying this author! If you enjoy biblical passages sprinkled throughout and the romantic stories of developing relationships I think you'll thoroughly enjoy this series.
H
Sep 28, 2008 rated it really liked it
Loved this love story..the characters carry from book to book in this series which I enjoy hearing more of 'their stories'.

• Love Song (Buckley, Texas #1)
  • Whispers (Glenbrooke, #2)
  • Sunrise Song (Treasures of the Heart #4)
  • It Had to Be You
  • Blessings (Sommerfield Trilogy, #3)
  • Driven With the Wind  (Cheney Duvall, M.D., #8)
  • Remember Me
  • Taming Rafe (Noble Legacy, #2)
  • Sarah's Patchwork (Keepsake Legacies, #1)
  • The Cowboy's Sweetheart (The Cowboy Series, #6)
  • Across the Years (Desert Roses, #2)
  • Charity House Courtship (Charity House, #5)
  • Distant Heart (Westward Hearts #2)
  • Sweet Boundless (The Diamond of the Rockies #2)
About

Lisa Tawn Bergren is the best-selling, award-winning author of over 50 books, with more than 3 million copies sold. She is in the middle of writing The Sugar Baron's Daughters Series (KETURAH, VERITY and SELAH), and recently finished a teen series called Remnants (SEASON OF WONDER, SEASON OF FIRE, and SEASON OF GLORY). She's also written the River of Time Series (WATERFALL, CASCADE, TORRENT,

Full Circle (6 books)
  • Torchlight
  • Pathways (Full Circle Series #3)
  • Treasure (Full Circle Series #4)
  • Chosen