Start by marking “Aldo” as Want to Read:
Aldo

Aldo

Aldo has been twenty-eight for three hundred years. Despite his long life, he still hasn't developed very good social skills. His whole family has been dead now for a long while, and nobody believes he is immortal. As a result, he leads a lonely existence. He is afraid to love anything or anyone, except for his beautiful Alfa Romeo and his little pug Gustav. When he tries ...more
Published December 19th 2018 by Europe Comics (first published May 3rd 2018)

To ask other readers questions about Aldo, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Aldo

Jane
Aldo is a strange little story about a man (Aldo) who struggles to find his place in the world, because he's immortal. It's difficult for him to make friends, and we see a great deal of the sadness and loneliness he feels. The story is a bit quirky, but not nearly so much as the art.

I love the way Pelegrin plays with panels on the pages. By blurring all rules when it comes to panel boundaries, the art is very fluid, and leads you around the page. Although many pages do not follow the usual readi
Etienne
Dec 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Crazy wonderful discovery! Great comic that bring you at the edge of insanity. Original and good presentation of what being crazy might be or at least one kind of craziness. Great work!
Skirmish
Jan 10, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: manga-comics
Book Reaction: https://nildivision.blogspot.com/2019...
Rating: 3.5 Stars – that place between like and love
Prashasti
Jan 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: net-galley
I received an ARC of this via NetGalley. Thank you, Yannick Pelegrin and Europe Comics!

But is it immortality or insanity?

The story is about a 28-year-old young man "Aldo", a loner for 300 years and has been living on and on ever since centuries...sadly, immortality isn't always about saving lives and wearing a cape.

You're not definitely not provided with answers and it's a constant struggle to get out of the rabbit hole but at the end, you get to figure out the conclusions yourself.
Besides the
Fanna
Aldo is a smartly woven comic that takes you through different phases and thoughts of the main protagonist, Aldo, while not letting you actually be in charge of what's happening. Which means there are surprises at almost every turn and while some worked great, some only confused more, but as the pages were turned, it all started making much more sense and the ending breaks your heart. It doesn't give a definitive closure (and that's something I prefer which is why the star is snatched) but the r ...more
Richard
Dec 07, 2018 rated it liked it
I have great please of entering new worlds and perspectives through Europe Comics where there bring stories from different bankgrounds and traditions into my reading scope and awareness.
I loved the artwork here; it reflects the gloomy isolation of our central character Aldo who believes he is immortal but has the social skills of a potted plant.
It remains for me a confusing story with clever reveals but perhaps too over thought. I may have missed the point because you cease to be self-aware afte
Jan 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is an odd sort of duck. Aldo believes he is immortal. He has no one who will believe him, other than his friend, Oscar.

We keep seeing memories, or perhaps realities. It is hard to say. Either Aldo drives an Alpha Romero, or he did at one time, and it was destroyed in a fiery crash.

The art and story jump around like a medieval paining, where the people are seeing in different parts of the screen to show that there is movement in a painting.

In the end, what is sanity? What is memory? And wha
Amit Verma
Jan 03, 2019 rated it liked it
Book depicts mental turmoil of Aldo, who suffers every moment, every day in every possible manner. His mind doesn't sleep and he thinks he has lived for centuries and all his relatives are long dead.
He likes his car and his dog, who give him some moments of happiness.
I am very happy with illustrations, use of shades, depiction of night, car movements and depiction of thought process of Aldo.
But story can be difficult to grasp fully.
You don't know till it ends. Captions are nice and not overstre
Lukasz
Dec 29, 2018 rated it it was ok
2.5/5

Aldo may be immortal. He’s been roaming the earth for 300 years. He believes he is the only one of his kind until he recognises a man that should have been dead a long time ago. Aldo sets out to get answers on his life.

A quirky artwork matches the strange story, but I didn‘t like it. Pelegrin plays with the rules with his fluid art and unusual reading layout. The storyline offers a good final twist and feels rather depressing.

Overall, an ok read.

ARC through NetGalley
Ije the Devourer of Books
I really enjoyed the artwork but the end of the story left me feeling dissatisfied.

I was hoping that there would be a paranormal explanation for Aldo's immortality. The story has a way of heightening expectations but suddenly the reader is given mundane explanations for everything and that was dissappointing. Great artwork though.

Copy provided by Europe Comics via Netgalley in exchange for an unbiased review.
Heather Brown
Dec 05, 2018 rated it did not like it
Not a fan. The books is super depressing and about a crazy dude instead of a time traveler. Disappointment!
Smote
Dec 20, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pop Bop
Dec 09, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
Better the Second Time Through

We follow Aldo, who believes himself to be immortal, as he comes to grips with his lonely and depressing circumstances. As the tale becomes more "magical" we wonder where we're headed, and know we're missing clues even as we turn the pages. By the end we have a sense of what just happened, but there are gaps and inconsistencies. Pelegrin has, at this point, turned the reader into someone like Aldo himself. So there's nothing left to do except go back immediately to
Crimson
I ended up requesting this book because of how mysterious the cover and title were. I had passed it a couple of times while browsing NetGalley and then I gave into curiosity. Honestly, I was SO CLOSE to rating this book 2-stars but I just had to bump it up to 4-stars because of that ending and execution (in hindsight)

The story follows a snippet of Aldo’s life, a 28-year old man who has been alive for 300 years. We first meet him at a therapists office where he has finally decided to seek profess
Mariam
Dec 06, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read an English eBook version of this graphic novel from NetGalley. I was very intrigued by the idea of Aldo being immortal and was instantly captivated because the novel starts off with Aldo speaking openly about his immortality with a shrink. However, as soon as Aldo leaves the shrinks office and he sets off to see his friend Oscar, I began to become very confused and that's how I felt through out the rest of the novel. I think the premise is interesting and even though I found parts of the ...more
Valéria.
Dec 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
So, the story starts as Aldo, immortal guy from 18th Century, is seeing therapist, telling us who he is. Aldo was born in France, describing his childhood and past in funny way. There is a lot of little, simple jokes that made me smile. In the beginning you get a nice sight into his life and what he likes, who he spends time with (Gustav’s adorable) and then, bam! Depression hits you. But not in an annoying way; smoothly and kindly. You feel sorry for him, he’s been alive for 300 years already, ...more
Madame
Dec 30, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

I loved the fluidity of the art style that carried into it's narrative. We follow a man called Aldo who believes been immortal for 300 year. One day he sees a man on TV who he had last seen 100 years ago and he went to search for answers.

His loneliness is sad to read about but what's even sadder is what happens to him and I love how the ending isn't 'explained' but left to decipher by your own comprehension and how his anxiousness/depression was potrayed. Without words but through silent blocks
Kristine
Aldo by Yannick Pelegrin is a free NetGalley e-comicbook that I read in late December.

Aldo, a man who believes himself to be immortal, is recalling his life story to a therapist and the reader. He is musing, subtlety bored, cheered by the little things (his dog, his car),yet finds himself lost and frustrated by his memories while withholding something beyond living forever, and cutting off with a sad, detached ending. It's made up of dot-eye sketches on a beigey/green/mauvey palette with Aldo's
Elif
Dec 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
The story is captivating, sad and although looks and feels like unreal; it felt real. I love the artwork, especially the colours. There is something about it that makes you look in detail.
I love Aldo. He is one of those characters that you like immediately and without questions. And him being an immortal being... Well. This book made me think about a lot of stuff. It also made me realise how influential books can be when it comes to conveying feelings. Will recommend it to graphic novel lovers.
Theediscerning
Jan 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
A very accomplished exercise in pulling the rug out from under the reader. When our narrator complains of his immortality, with its attendant friendlessness, lack of social skills and so on, we feel sympathy for him. But should we? He seems able to fly across the Atlantic without buying an airline ticket, for one, and to always find a taxi. Lovely artwork that really suits the book with its unshowiness, and a short script all told, make this one to delve into at least once. Recommended – a stron ...more
Eduardo
Dec 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I just finished Aldo, and I was not expecting this comic to be so emotional and heartbreaking.
Aldo made me think a lot about loneliness and how immortality would be a curse, and not a blessing. I loved how the author made me feel, I rooted for Aldo, suffered with him and it was an AMAZING experience.
So happy I got to meet this beautiful artwork.
And that ending was amazing, I wasn't expecting that at all.
You should definitely read this!
Kat
Dec 24, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Aldo was an enjoyable read. The art style is very interesting and suits the concepts explored. I really liked how it explored immortality and had a bit of humor too. The plot twist at the end was really surprising and made me rethink all the events that had happened prior in the novel in a new light, and was something that made me enjoy Aldo more.

Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for providing a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
Eduardo
Dec 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
So happy I got to meet this beautiful artwork.
And that ending was amazing, I wasn't expecting that at all.
You should definitely read this!
Pamela Sargent
A strange and sometimes disjointed storyline but the art was a redeeming feature. The author/artist creates scenes that span multiple frames which is an unusual trait but I really liked it and it gave the art more fluidity.

The story itself was hard to follow at times and I’m still a little baffled by its conclusion but I would definitely look to explore titles by Yannick Pelegrin again.

Note : I was provided with a copy of this title by Netgalley for review.
Elia
Dec 26, 2018 rated it did not like it
I legitimately have no idea what I just read.
Anthony ➳ KeepReadingForward ➳
2/5
This Review was first posted on Keep Reading Forward. If you want to see more, check out our other locations as well as here.

ARC provided by the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Have you ever been left so confused that you cannot just comprehend what you just read? This is the case with this graphic novel. The idea of immortality and trying to find some answers as to why interested me. I thought the story would be different and worth reading. I have seen reviews naming
Beatriz Sousa
Jan 02, 2019 rated it liked it
WOW this is a dark comic but amazing. I wasn't understanding in the beggining but then all made sense.
I am speechless. It was amazing and I would love to read more about Aldo.
The graphics are very well done, I would just like to see the letters a bit better. However, in paper format it must be way better
Corinne Sparks
Dec 10, 2018 rated it liked it
I don't think I understood this at all! It was like a waking dream, and I'm afraid it's one I didn't follow at all. The artwork is beautiful. I don't want to bias potential readers so I'll just leave it at that. Not for me.
Joanna
Jan 04, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed
*A copy of Aldo was provided by Netgalley in return for an honest review.*

Aldo is a book that requires some thought to understand it. It makes a little more sense the second time reading it and some scenes are required to be read more than a couple of times.

In terms of the story line, I like how the writer is able to make the readers relate to Aldo’s confusion of his immortality. The story revolves around Aldo and he is rarely seen having a conversation with someone else which reflects his lonel
Samantha Marquis
Dec 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was a great read, defiantly had that unexpected twist. It takes a look at what it's like living with a form of mental illness, I highly recommend it. Also i love the contrasting colors, absolutely captured my attention.