Start by marking “The Watergate Girl” as Want to Read:
The Watergate Girl

The Watergate Girl

Obstruction of justice, the specter of impeachment, sexism at work, shocking revelations: Jill Wine-Banks takes us inside her trial by fire as a Watergate prosecutor.

It was a time, much like today, when Americans feared for the future of their democracy, and women stood up for equal treatment. At the crossroads of the Watergate scandal and the womens movement was a young
Hardcover
Published February 25th 2020 by Henry Holt and Company

To ask other readers questions about The Watergate Girl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Watergate Girl

Start your review of The Watergate Girl
Christopher Saunders
Lively memoir of the Watergate scandal from one of its secondary prosecutors. At age 30, Jill Wine-Volner accepted the chance to work for Watergate Special Prosecutor Archibald Cox. Already a seasoned government attorney who cut her teeth prosecuting mobsters, Wine-Volner found the task of investigating President Nixon and his henchmen much tougher, facing government harassment, political pressure, endless media scrutiny and bitter courtroom battles. Wine-Banks recounts her own experiences with ...more
Lynne Perednia
Dec 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Wonderful memoir by Jill Wine-Banks, former special prosecutor in the Watergate case and current MSNBC legal analyst. Starting with her examination on the stand of Rose Mary Woods and the 18 1/2 minute gap to her personal life and highlights of her professional life since Watergate, the book shines with her voice. She needs to write a second volume though.
Donna Hines
Jan 02, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, netgalley
What more can one say other than to note- History repeats itself!
While the focus may have been on Nixon -Watergate-18 1/2 min tapes-Rose Mary Woods- it also was on Jill Wine Banks to bring the evidence.
She not only brought the evidence she questioned the actions of those involved and the legitimacy of their own truths.
While it's also worth noting at great pains to herself, her marriages, her personal life and beyond.
She may not have been lucky in love but she has been able to show the
Charlotte Jones
I am fascinated by politics, particularly American politics, so as soon as this book came out I had to pick it up. I chose to listen to the audiobook as that is the way I prefer to experience non-fiction and I'm glad that I did. I have seen Jill Wine-Banks on MSNBC and although she doesn't narrate the bulk of the audiobook herself, just the prologue and epilogue, I was interested in her story and her involvement in Watergate.

Watergate is something that I knew almost nothing about before the
Dominique
Mar 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars, rounding up to 5.

This is a very well-written memoir! While the main focus of the book is on the Watergate trial and the men she took on (the same men made famous by the Carl Bernstein and Bob Woodward book, All The Presidents Men), she also talks about her personal life in juicy detail and the rest of her professional work since Watergate - and she never lost my interest at any point throughout the entire book. I think this is partly due to the fact that she doesnt start her memoir
Devon McDevitt
Feb 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
The Watergate Girl is the memoir of Jill Wine-Banks, the lone female lawyer working on the staff of the Watergate trials special prosecutor. Much of the book is dedicated to her time working on the Watergate case. From rumors of presidential scandal, to eventual resignation and beyond, Wine-Banks gives her readers insight into her job, her life, and the greater cultural zeitgeist of the 1970s.

Jill Wine Banks is the feminist icon that NO ONE is talking about. I absolutely loved this memoir.
Roslynne Levine
Mar 05, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: memoir, non-fiction
I've seen Jill Wine-Banks as a legal analyst on MSNBC talking about her upcoming book, and was really looking forward to reading it. That said, I was disappointed. The Watergate part of the story was interesting and there were a few new tidbits of information, but there was nothing really new there and not enough depth or insight. For me, her personal life and drama got in the way. At times I wanted to yell TMI...too much information. I didn't need to know that she was in a loveless marriage, ...more
Debra
Feb 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
Memoir of an attorney who served on the special prosecution team for Watergate. Now a legal correspondent for MSNBC, this flashes out my memory of that time.
Carin
Jill was one of the prosecutors in the Watergate trials. She worked on Ehrlichman, Magruder, Dean, all the men made famous by All the President's Men. She was the loan woman attorney involved in the case, and often the only woman in any room at that time. She was a tough prosecutor, having come from working Mob cases, but she was often sidelined and daily faced rampant sexism and misogyny.

But she stuck to the job. It was grueling work with horrible hours and not great working conditions. She was
Alberonymartinez
Mar 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
Entorno a The Watergate Girl de la abogada Jill Wine-Banks, quien a los 30 años aceptó la oportunidad de trabaja para el Fiscal Especial de Watergate, Archibald Cox, escribe su memoria de vida en el ejercicio del derecho, y mas relacionada al escandalo de Watergate. La escritora recuerda sus experiencias como una joven abogada que participó en la que entonces era el mayor escandalo politico en la historia de los Estados Unidos.

En el libro nos va describiendo cada uno de los procesos realizado
Mimi Pockross
Mar 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: women, the-60s
I went to the same high school as Jill Wine-Banks and I'm pretty sure she was in my French class. I watch her regularly on MSNBC, and of course I am interested in her for those two reasons. I also recall watching the mini-skirted lawyer on television and reading about her in the papers during the Watergate hearings starting in 1972, the year my first son was born. I enjoyed reading her story for many reasons but mostly because of the nostalgia for Chicago and the culture of the times. What could ...more
Susan
Feb 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Jill Wine-Banks has a voice that needs to be heard. She lived through a period of America's history that left an indelible mark on us. Now it repeats itself. Her memoir of her time as the only woman on the Watergate trial legal team is a powerful living period of history brought alive. I was engrossed with her story from the first page. Starting with her cross examination of Rose Mary Woods and the infamous missing minutes she takes the reader on an incredible journey. Now we have witnessed ...more
Highlandtown
Mar 16, 2020 rated it liked it
Ms. Wine-Banks broke many gender barriers working in the government and the law. Her intelligence and good humor is inspiring. Her honesty is refreshing although I would have liked to read less about her first marriage and more of her post Watergate work.
Youre too cute to be general counsel, (Army Chief of Staff) Rogers said to me with a grin.
And too smart not to be good at it, I replied.
You go Jill.
H
Feb 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Perhaps youve had the privilege of hearing Jills analysis of the recent impeachment hearings on MSNBC.

This is her fascinating memoir. As a member of the team (the only female) of the Nixon Watergate prosecutions, she shares an amazing insight. Much will sound familiar to what is happening with the current administration.

Although Jill does some of the narration, wish she had done the entire book.

So glad she wrote her story.
Peggy Jeffcoat
Mar 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
I have watched Jill Wine-Banks give excellent commentary on MSNBC and was eager to read her book. I was not disappointed. As an attorney in the 1970's, she was on the front line of the Watergate prosecution of several men who were convicted of crimes. This book is a fascinating account of those times and especially her experience as a woman into the drama of the Watergate era.
Mjdrean
Mar 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was a whole new perspective of Watergate. I thought I'd read everything there was to read. Not so. She lays out the inside progression of the Watergate investigation as well as her personal story of being a woman amongst a mountain of men. I especially liked the gift given to her when leaving her job to join the Watergate investigation: three brass balls!
Andrea Shindler
Mar 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
An extraordinarily open, honest assessment of the world of Watergate a corrupt president and his enablers, by Jill Wine-Banks, whose stellar prosecutorial skills resulted in her successful fight for truth and justice against a Criminal President, Richard Nixon.

Andrea Shindler
Kam
Mar 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The Watergate Girl is a very entertaining book about the Watergate Investigation and Trial. It captures so many moments of that era, including women in the law profession and womens roles in society. She shares so much about being a trial lawyer, especially in the high profile Watergate case. ...more
Kathleen Rosenbaum
Mar 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
We were out of the country during the whole Watergate Sage, so it was interesting to hear about it all from her point of view. I was not so interested in hearing all about her personal conflicts and relationships.
Vicki Valenta
Feb 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
Very interesting memoir from the only female prosecutor who worked on Watergate.
Terri Keaney
Mar 09, 2020 rated it liked it
Mediocre
Robin_R
Feb 29, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Such an interesting life and career!
Katherine

• A Very Stable Genius: Donald J. Trump's Testing of America
  • Dark Towers: Deutsche Bank, Donald Trump, and an Epic Trail of Destruction
  • The Starless Sea
  • Impeach: The Case Against Donald Trump
  • The Night Fire (Harry Bosch #22; Renée Ballard, #3; Harry Bosch Universe, #32)
  • The Long Call (Two Rivers, #1)
  • Running Against the Devil: A Plot to Save America from Trump — And Democrats from Themselves
  • Crime in Progress: Inside the Steele Dossier and the Fusion GPS Investigation of Donald Trump
  • The Splendid and the Vile: A Saga of Churchill, Family, and Defiance During the Blitz
  • Conviction
  • A Divided Loyalty (Inspector Ian Rutledge, #22)
  • Me