Start by marking “She Spoke: 14 Women Who Raised Their Voices and Changed the World” as Want to Read:
She Spoke: 14 Women Who Raised Their Voices and Changed the World

She Spoke: 14 Women Who Raised Their Voices and Changed the World

When the world tells you to stay quiet, do you listen, or do you speak up? In She Spoke: 14 Women Who Raised Their Voices and Changed the World, with the touch of a button readers can hear Dr. Mary Mcleod Bethune, Dolores Huerta, Dr. Maya Angelou, Dr. Jane Goodall, Shirley Chisholm, Susan Shown Harjo, Hilary Rodham Clinton, Leymah Gbowee, Dr. Temple Grandin, Justice Sonia ...more
Published March 1st 2019 by Familius

To ask other readers questions about She Spoke, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about She Spoke

Start your review of She Spoke: 14 Women Who Raised Their Voices and Changed the World
Amalia Gavea
Dear ‘’writers’’:

If you think that the world is comprised mainly of Anglo-Saxon women, if you think that you are forced to include Malala and Maya Angelou in a poor effort to appear ''diverse'' while diminishing their offer in our world, if you think that the wife of a ‘’President’’ who caused bloodshed in a European capital in 1999 to cover up his own dirty spots, created by his secretary's unsteady hands (or any other part of her anatomy, I don't know...) should be included in this book next t
Jeimy

Tammy Duckworth
Dr. Joanne Liu
Abby Wambach
Malala Yousafzai

While I was familiar with some of them, what makes this book a must read is not just the knowledge you glean about their lives; it is the two questions at the end of each vignette that inspires reflection and, hopefully, action.

This b
Rosalyn Eves
Dec 17, 2018 marked it as to-read
I'm looking forward to this one!
Devann
I received an ARC copy of this book from Edelweiss

As with "She Changed the World" - published last year by TIME - I feel like the use of the word 'world' in the title is a bit misleading for a book that focuses almost exclusively on American women, but if you take it as a representation of a very small slice of women then it's an enjoyable read. It's definitely a bit short, but I liked the women they included and that they added a list of some other women that the reader could look up on their w
Jen
Jan 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I got this book for my birthday recently. It is a beautiful children's book full of diverse women from all walks of life, careers, and all across the world. There are women of different nationalities and races, women who are disabled, women who have autism.... They're amazing and diverse. The authors did a wonderful job not only writing this book but also finding quotes and leaving questions for people to think about as they read related to each woman.
Tasya Dita
I received this book through Edelweiss Plus in exchange for an honest review

This one is a super quick read with vibrant illustrations on 14 women that raised their voice and make changes for their environment and the world. The length of each features and the language used really fits their target audience and the women featured here are pretty diverse as some of them are disabled, non-white, lesbian, and autistic.
However, I do feel like it's pretty US-centered, maybe because it is the target a
Conny Reviews
Mar 15, 2019 rated it liked it
“No matter who you are, you have the right to speak up. The world needs your voice,” the introduction states in Kathy Macmillan and Manuela’s children’s book, She Spoke: 14 Women Who Raised Their Voices and Changed the World.

~ What ~
This thirty-two-page hardbound with a built-in battery-operated recorded speaker targets children ages six to eight years old who are interested in women who made a difference in history by speaking out. With no scary scenes, the colorful portraits and illustrations
Vidya Tiru
Mar 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
I sincerely believe we need more books that teach us about people who inspire us, so we can be motivated to better ourselves each and every day, in each and every way. She Spoke is one such book. Here are my thoughts on this book.
Pros:
This book introduces us to women who are famous, like Hillary Clinton, Dr.Jane Goodall, and Maya Angelou, it also brings to light other lesser-famous women who deserve the spotlight as well, like Dolores Huerta, Leymah Gbowee, and Dr. Temple Grandin.
I loved the in
Erin Buhr
May 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is such a cool book. It is a collection of 14 women and their empowering stories. Each page tells a brief bio, some quick facts, and offers an inspiring "your turn" box. None of that is what makes it so unique though. Each of the 14 women also have a recorded portion of a speech included. There is a brief description about their speech on each page and when you push the button on the side with their face you get to hear the real deal. I love this creative use of sound. I love how this bring ...more
Bethany M. Edwards
Aug 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
* I received a copy of this book from the publisher to facilitate this review. All opinions, as always, are my own.

Move over books with buttons that sing nursery rhymes and make animal sounds.

Make room for button books with inspiring speeches (in their actual voices) by incredible, inspiring, bad ass sheroes.
Listening to my 2 year old hear @Malala, @abbywambach @janegoodallinst, Shirley Chisholm, @hillaryclinton, Maya Angelou and all 14 of these amazing women has my allergies flaring up.

Celeb
Louise Sattler
Jul 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is perfect for the older elementary or young adult, as well as their parents. It looks like a young child's "talk to me" book, but it is far more than that. In the words of strong and amazing women - you hear their wise words come alive. The stories of Mala, Temple Grandin and many more are heard through the interactive book technology. Praises to Kathy MacMillan who came up with this idea and followed through.

I received a complimentary copy via Familius Publishing. However, would have
Ella Gordon
Oct 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book had the most beautiful illistrations and definitely would eb empowering to many young girls. My only complaint is that the pages are quite long and there is a lot of text on some. This is not always a bad thing but I think some students would not want to read it based on that. Beautiful book!
Annie McCormick
Apr 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I have been reading this book to my 3yo daughter almost every night. Hearing this diverse group of women in their own voices is incredible. My daughter loves to press the buttons that match the pictures on each page and I don't mind listening to "women's rights are human rights and human rights are women's rights" multiple times a day.
Earl
Mar 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
I love this picture book that features 14 female changemakers and includes soundbites for each one. Includes a short biography and details about the words they spoke. My favorite part is probably the section where they ask the readers questions relating to that person and their life.
Rachel
Aug 05, 2020 rated it liked it
Nice short biographies with unique portraits.
Kristin Brown
Mar 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Delightful - this is a lovely book to hold and read, which stunning illustrations. The option to hear voices is a wonderful feature.
Firefly

• Gaston
  • Luis and Tabitha
  • That's Life!
  • Forward Me Back To You
  • One Shot at Forever: A Small Town, an Unlikely Coach, and a Magical Baseball Season
  • Deaf Republic
  • The Vicar of Wakefield
  • Père Goriot
  • How to Be an Antiracist
  • Multiple Choice
Kathy MacMillan is a writer, American Sign Language interpreter, librarian, signing storyteller, and avowed Hufflepuff. She writes picture books (the Little Hands Signing series, Familius Press), children’s nonfiction (She Spoke: 14 Women Who Raised Their Voices and Changed the World, Familius Press), and young adult fantasy. Her debut young adult novel, Sword and Verse (2016) was a finalist for t ...more