Start by marking “Why My Cat Is More Impressive Than Your Baby” as Want to Read:
Why My Cat Is More Impressive Than Your Baby

Why My Cat Is More Impressive Than Your Baby

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  645 ratings  ·  72 reviews
Matthew Inman, Eisner Award-winning creator of The Oatmeal and #1 New York Times bestselling author of How to Tell If Your Cat Is Plotting to Kill You, presents a must-have collection of comics for cat lovers!

Why My Cat Is More Impressive Than Your Baby is chockfull of comics about cats, babies, dogs, lasers, selfies, and pigeons!  This book contains a vast wealth of never
Published June 4th 2019 by Andrews McMeel Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Why My Cat Is More Impressive Than Your Baby, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Why My Cat Is More Impressive Than Your Baby

really liked it 4.00  ·

Mindi
Jun 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Let's get into some real talk in the middle of a review for a comedy book, shall we? I wanted to see exactly how many of Inman's books I own, so I pulled up the list, I own 5 of them. And weirdly, even though I've been reading and buying his books since 2013, I've given every single one of them 4 stars.

If you know Inman's humor, you know that he's pretty much always spot on. I have had more laugh-out-loud moments with Inman's cartoons than I can count. And the same is true for this book. The bas
Cupcakes & Machetes
Jun 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Guilty as charged. I bought this as a birthday present for a cat-obsessed friend but when I realized I could read it without bending the pages/spine and making it obvious, I sat down with my coffee and dug in. (This person doesn’t have any social media pages so it’s a victimless crime.)

It is the purrfect graphic novel for your childless, cat-loving friend. Purrhaps, even a friend with children and cats that still retains their sense of humor. If your friend doesn’t like children OR cats and pref
Katrine Austin
Jun 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just delightful

Gotta love The Oatmeal. I'm a believer. Consistently smile producing plus I directly relate to the title topic! Good fun.
Jen
Jun 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
An excellent book for anyone who has ever been violated by a feline starfish in the nighttime.
Cale
Jun 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
By this point, you probably know if you like the Oatmeal's stuff or not. It's crass, inconsistent (in both quality of writing and art), and full of sometimes inventive profanity. It's also pretty funny.
The title is a little bit of a misnomer - there's a third dog in the race, literally, and canines regularly rank above babies as well.
It's a quick read, and it focuses mostly on the sociopathic behavior of felines, coupled with the boneheaded optimism of dogs and the excessive excretions of babi
Kristin
Jun 07, 2019 rated it liked it
2.5

This was pretty disappointing. Every book by The Oatmeal is a collection of older comics with one new, long story to make it worth picking up. But the older comics here are really old, some of them over 10 years, that have been passed around the internet forever and the title 'story' is just a string of lazy, gross-out gags.
Jackie G
Jun 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My husband and I both read this and we’re both gasping from laughing so hard. I had tears. It was so good and so funny. And amazing for childless cat people.
Amanda
Jun 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Very hilarious, but I don't recommend this for the easily offended.
Suzanne Taylor
Jun 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Cute and hilarious. The only reason it doesn't have 5 stars because I have seen a lot of it before online.
Dmytro
Jun 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
Read it if you're considering to raise a child, it might save your life.
BookTrib.com
“Cats are dicks.”

It’s quite a statement, but one that us cat-lovers have come to accept. It is also a fact that The Oatmeal (Matthew Inman) delightfully exploited for us in How to Tell If Your Cat Is Plotting to Kill You and has continued it for us in his latest, Why My Cat Is More Impressive Than Your Baby (Andrews McMeel Publishing).

Welcome to the self-help book you never knew you needed. Welcome to the silly comic book that actually offers baby-owners solace and cat-owners giggles. Not only w
Sam Quixote
Jul 19, 2019 rated it it was ok
Matthew Inman’s latest is a kind of follow-up to his brilliant book, How to Tell If Your Cat is Plotting to Kill You, where he “amusingly” explains why he thinks cats are more impressive than babies – it’s also my least favourite of his books so far.

He’s basically got one joke for babies (or “goblins” as he calls them): they shit and puke a lot and are vulnerable to everything. Har… har. If you didn’t laugh at that one, he repeats it numerous times throughout and it never gets funnier. And spea
A.V. Dalcourt
Jun 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comic, read-2019
I bought this book with 'How to tell if your cat is trying to kill you'.

Once again, if you're familiar with the Oatmeal, you'll know that the humour is krewd to match the illustration style, while sharing some very human experiences.

This comic had more: it's funny because it's true moments, than the previous book. But it's level of krewd made me seriously reconsider gifting the book to my nephew as the topics are a bit more adult. Ironic, considering my last complaint for the previous book was
Aaronlisa
Jun 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2019
If you are familiar with The Oatmeal, then the themes of this book should be pretty much known to you.

I really like The Oatmeal's take on things like why a cat is better than a baby despite how he shows cats to be part-time sociopaths.

The book was cute and amusing. although the barfing/pooping jokes got a little tired after a bit.

That said I appreciated that a lot of the comics included weren't from his website but new to the book.

Anyhow this was a Father's Day gift for my Dad and I am sure
Emmy
Jul 13, 2019 rated it it was ok
This is not Inman's best.

I've read and loved a lot of the stuff I find on The Oatmeal. Some of it is hilarious, some of it is terrible, and probably 85% of it is NSFW. But, generally, I really enjoy reading his books, and as my Goodreads reviews show, I generally give him a solid 3 of 5 stars.

Maybe I just wasn't in the mood, but this one just didn't sit well with me. It wasn't that it was bad, it was just....meh. Nothing special. I sort of rushed through the whole thing, and barely laughed once.
Brittany Baker
Jun 19, 2019 rated it liked it
At first, I thought this collection couldn't possibly compete with "How to Tell If Your Cat is Plotting to Kill You," but I find myself returning to certain pages and increasingly impatient for the book to come out so I can share it with others. (I also read it in one sitting the same day I received it.) Highlights for me included "How to Comfortably Sleep Next to Your Cat" and the cat vs. baby diary entries.
Anna
Apr 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novel
This book is pure poetry. It's Shakespeare. It's shiny cat bungholes and yakking babies ruining our dreams - it's like Matt Inman can read my dark soul.

If you ever contemplated the beauty of mucilaginous hairballs, or are trying to talk your significant other out of reproducing, this book is for you.

*I do not recommend that you read this while ingesting soda or chile fries - your nose holes will regret it.
Alysha DeShaé
Jun 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It was so good!! Hilarious and insightful, as I expect from this artist! Also, it's totally true!! My cats are totally better than your babies!!

Also, the #KittyConvict collars are so great. My kitties have #KittyConvictCollars and I love them, they love them, and they're inexpensive to boot!!

Link to the collars: https://amazon.com/dp/B018IRQ316/
Marian
Jun 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love Mr. Inman's comics. His Pterodactyl animated comic was a bright spot during my mom's last illness. With respect to this book, having lived with both babies and cats, I can testify to the total accuracy of his conclusions. Also, anything that causes me to laugh until I snort unbecomingly is one of life's treats. This book is a treat.
Jun 11, 2019 rated it liked it
Not my favorite. I have actually seen several of these comics years ago. He takes the gross baby thing to the extreme. I did enjoy the cat bits though. Particularly when he talks about the study on domestic cats and how much they actually kill. Lots of swearing...all in all, it's definitely not my favorite from him, but there were a few places I had a good chuckle.
Sue
Jun 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
This guy aways makes me laugh. A couple of times, I totally laughed out loud. I don’t know whether this was funnier than his other books, but it was definitely consistent.

I feel the need to point out though...kids are definitely funnier than cats, and I can only imagine the hilarity that The Oatmeal would come up with if he spent a weekend with a toddler.
Erikka
Apr 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
I LOVE the Oatmeal books!!! They are just simply hilarious and always original. This one I found particularly compelling as a proudly child-free cat mom. I completely agree with his assessment of cats as tiny furry hurricanes (furricanes?)--violent, devastating, with the calm eye in the center that makes them adorable and keeps you from killing them. I love my furricanes. :)
Tayler K
Flipped through the whole thing on the second half of my lunch break.

There were definitely some high points (cats are always better than babies, after all), but too many pieces about dogs and bodily fluids for me to really enjoy it.
Lil Old Bookworm
Jun 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Chock full of new material as well as content you may have seen on the internet, this book is pretty darn funny. As a cat lover and a recent new mom of a 7 month old, even I have to admit that the Oatmeal brings up very valid points, lol.
Jenn
Jul 14, 2019 rated it it was ok
2.5 stars.
Had some dog stuff. Obviously author isnt a kid fan.
I think "your cat is plotting to kill you" was better. Maybe since we are a dog family now?!? Some of it was more gross and annoying than funny.
angelofmine1974
Jun 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Probably the best one by this author to date. I laughed all the way through and just loved every page. How could you not when it clearly explains why a cat is so much better than a baby! A must read for any cat mom/dad.
Bibliophile
Jun 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
As a parent and a cat guardian I feel these comics at a deeper level. I can’t get enough of Matt Inman’s comics, he’s hysterically funny. And my favorite comic strip of his is in this collection! You can literally not go wrong with any of his stuff.
Janet
Jun 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
As always, Matthew Inman creates laugh-out-loud funny material. How to Cuddle like you Mean It is particularly relevant to those in relationships!
I always knew that cats are better than babies but now it's been validated for me. Thanks Matt!
Karen
Jul 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is hilarious! I was reading it and laughing out loud. Everyone wanted to know what I was reading, I could imagine my cat doing all the things in the book. If you are owned by a cat, this the book for you.
Lindsey
Jun 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphics
This one made me laugh out loud at moments.
« previous 1 3 next »
Matthew Inman (a.k.a. "The Oatmeal") is a Web designer and developer from Seattle, Washington. He has been designing Web sites since the age of 13 and is a seasoned programmer, systems administrator, and online marketer. Matthew launched theoatmeal.com in 2009.