Start by marking “Little Paranoias” as Want to Read:
Little Paranoias

Little Paranoias

Winner of the Ladies of Horror Fiction Award for Best Collection (2019).

Is it a knock on the door, or a gust of wind? A trick of the light, or someone who’ll see what you’ve done?

Little Paranoias features twenty tales of the little things that drive our deepest fears. It tells the stories of terror and sorrow, lust at the end of the world and death as an unwanted second ch
Published October 22nd 2019

To ask other readers questions about Little Paranoias, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Little Paranoias

Start your review of Little Paranoias
Sadie Hartmann Mother Horror
Nov 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It's this reader's opinion and recommendation that the best way to get to know an author is through their short stories. An anthology will provide a banquet with a variety of authors to sample--when you read a story you particularly enjoyed, you can squirrel that juicy tidbit away for a time when you're binge buying books or creating a wishlist and you can get some books that author-knowing, you've already tasted the goods and determined the worth.
An author's short story collection will provide
Bark
Oct 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
I read and adored Sonora Taylor’s novel WITHOUT CONDITION earlier this year and will likely read whatever she decides to put out from here on out. She isn’t afraid to write about the darkness that lurks inside the heart of (some) women and she has a skill for setting a scene and building a mood as well as creating her characters in a way that totally works for me.

Little Paranoias is a collection of flash fiction, poetry and short stories. There are twenty of them and they are all moody and whil
Tracy Robinson
Nov 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: tbr-own
I read Taylor’s novel, Without Condition, earlier this year and when she offered her latest collection, I couldn’t pass it up. I dig her clean writing, her wit, and her willingness to explore new things.

This collection contains 20 pieces ranging from short stories, to flash fiction, and poetry; all of them firmly ensconced in the horror genre. What follows are my favorites from the collection:

“Weary Bones” – hello horror with a dash of sci-fi flavoring. This is a hell of a way to start off a col
Jen (LOHF/Book Den)
Oct 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror, collections
I've been really excited to check out Little Paranoias. Earlier this year I read Sonora Taylor's novel Without Condition, and I was looking forward to checking out more of her work. (She also published a story on the Ladies of Horror Fiction podcast so be sure to check that out!)

One thing I really loved about this collection was the varying lengths of all of the stories. From flash fiction to poetry to longer stories, it never felt repetitive, and I never got bogged down. I have a hard time sitt
Well Read Beard
Jan 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-books
4.5 Stars - I initially put this at 4 stars - but after taking the time to actually write this review - I realized that 4 wasn't enough - so 4.5 it is rounded up for the sake of goodreads and amazon.

This was an absolutely wonderful collection of short stories and the perfect way to start off 2020 with my #LadiesFirst20 selection.

There were 20 stories in roughly 140 pages. The formatting, flow of the book was nice and felt different than most collections I have read in that there were 5 20+ page
Cassie Lola (holo.reader)
You can read my full review on the Night Worms Blog: https://nightworms.com/blogs/news/cas...

This was my first book by Sonora Taylor, although I was familiar with her and know her already through social media. Sometimes knowing authors before reading their work can be a little tricky; there’s always that worry that you may really dislike their writing, which could potentially make for an awkward situation along the lines – especially for book reviewers! Luckily, I’m happy to say that in this ins
Alex | | findingmontauk1
Oct 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned, lohf
5 stars! A great collection of stories both dark and gripping. Sonora Taylor has a way of writing that pulls you in and it seems effortless - but her words are definitely chosen carefully. I had to stop myself from tearing through this in one day because I wanted to allow myself time to absorb and fully feel the effects of the poems, short stories, and flash fiction. I am glad I chose to savor this over a few days instead because it gave me something to look forward to each day and also gave me ...more
Erin Al-Mehairi
Oct 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
I enjoy Sonora’s short story, flash, and poetic writing. I’ve read her full-length novel Without Condition but something draws me to her shorter pieces. I was excited to receive her collection Little Paranoias! I think we write somewhat similar: saying much in small spaces, similar themes – musings on death or the afterlife, surprise twists and endings, shocking amid the normal, and involving nature in our writing. I suppose the things I like to think about that end up in my writing is what I li ...more
Emily
Oct 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Little Paranoias is the second book I've read from Sonora Taylor, and she always tells entertaining stories. This is the first collection I've read from her (the first book I read was a novel), and I enjoyed it! This collection is a mix of short stories and poetry (mostly short stories), and there's a little something for everyone here.

My top 5 stories were Always in My Ear, Stick Figure Family, Hearts are Just "Likes", Perfection in Shadow, and He Trapped My Thoughts Inside My Head. There were
Suzy Michael
Dec 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed-books
*I was given a copy of this book by the author in exchange for my fair and honest review.*

Sonora Taylor's 'Little Paranoias' is an eerie compilation of short stories that take a stark look at the complications of the human condition, that will leave you feeling paranoid and your skin crawling. Covering topics ranging from the after life to nature taking over the world, I dare anyone who says they have no paranoias to read this and not come out the other side a delightfully hot, twitchy, mess.

'Li
Steve Stred
Oct 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
** Edited as review is now live on Kendall Reviews! **

“Only memories were supposed to fade in houses.”

Sonora Taylor returns with her new collection of short stories and poems, and this is a strong collection that doesn’t disappoint.

I read ‘Without Condition’ previously by Taylor and was really surprised by how much I loved it. Going in I was worried that it might be a bit too much romancy for my tastes, but Sonora is such a solid writer that those fears went out the window quickly.

This collectio
Brennan LaFaro
Sep 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars rounded for Goodreads

Trying to accurately describe collections of short fiction can be intimidating. Even some of my favorite collections that I've read can be uneven. There's a certain obligation to mention which stories work and which ones can be skipped, and mention as many as possible. A difficult task becomes nearly impossible when the story counts hits twenty.

Fortunately, I'm delighted to report that Little Paranoias, by Sonora Taylor, sets itself apart from the typical collec
Valerie
Aug 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was my first time reading anything from this author and I will now add her to my “read anything they write” list! This book contained short stories, poems and a few that I would consider flash fiction! These are dark, creepy, shocking, bizarre, murder is involved and acts of violence! Right up a horror lovers alley!

There were a few that stuck with me more then others-Always in my Ear, Hearts are Just “Likes”, Stick Figure Family, and the two I considered flash fiction-Drops and Snowfall! A
A.E. Bennett
Dec 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Horror isn't my go-to genre ... but if Taylor writes more, it just might be! This collection was enjoyable and creepy and ... agh! the twists at the end of some of the stories really caught me off guard! ('Stick Figures', lookin' at you ...) Pick this one up even if horror isn't your thing. You'll be happy you did!
Don Gillette
This was quite an eclectic collection and a casual glance would make readers think they were looking at a hodgepodge, thrown together haphazardly--that is not the case at all with Little Paranoias.
Everything fit nicely; the flash fiction, the longer fiction, and the poems were all fastened together like pieces in a jigsaw puzzle to produce a polished volume that is definitely worth a read.
My view of "flash fiction" is traditional and most purveyors today don't have a clue about how to write it,
Melanie
Oct 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is Sonora Taylor at her most disturbed, and I mean that in the best possible way. Another great short story collection from this author that every horror fan will love. I enjoyed the various lengthens of stories, from the flash to the longer stories. The poems too, were a lot of creepy fun. I'm becoming a fan of this author for her well-thought-out and well-written tales. I love her unexpected endings. She truly has a twisted imagination. I love it!
Hailey Piper
Oct 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
An interesting and varied collection, Little Paranoias gathers Sonora Taylor's poems, flash fics, and short stories into one volume. I liked the longer stories and couplet poems most, favorite stories being "Always in My Ear," "Hearts Are Just Likes," and especially "Weary Bones," a patient approach to the horror of familial loss, suicide, and death's lingering. It's a surprisingly somber tale as it's first, followed by many stories about murderers. Each poem felt like it was sneaking up on me. ...more
Sheri White
Dec 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019-reads
I absolutely loved this collection. The first story, "Weary Bones," is such a great read. It starts out a little creepy, but evolves into a sad, moving tale that will stay with you.

"Always in My Ear" is a story that works well in this time of social media and needing to be connected to the world 24/7. It also shows how devoted some Podcast followers can be, no matter what the subject.

One of my favorite sub-genres is apocalypse horror, and "Quadrapocalypse" a creepy and fun one to read. Also, I a
C.J. Bow
Feb 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
What an action-packed read! 20 non-sequitur stories in total.

I had such a great time reading these little baddies. Each of the bigger stories were spaced by the shorter morsels which came to me like commercials between the longer running scenes. I felt like I was plopped down in front of my television and watched these as they all played out. Vivid, distinct, and often bitterly gruesome.

Out of the 20 I would say my three favorites were (in order):

1. Hearts are Just "Likes" - A social media obses
Victoria
Jan 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is my first time reading Sonora Taylor and I loved this! I devoured this anthology collection in two days. Nothing here has been done 100 times over, all fresh with new perspectives. Skeletons that won't die but kind of want to, lots of serial killers, poetry, body dysmorphia, killer nature, and MORE serial killers! I probably had too much fun reading this.

I will be adding Sonora Taylor to my "buy immediately" list. Taylor has a way of writing that really draws you in. I can't wait to see w
Beth
Jul 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I love short stories but especially flash fiction. Anyone that can pack a punch in so few words is a keeper!
Amanda
Jan 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Unique, disturbing, and a lot of fun to read ...

Taylor is an excellent storyteller. Reading this collection of poetry and short stories was a breath of fresh air. But like demented. Is there a word for that?!

Little Paranoias was my first read for 2020 & I feel like I'm ushering in some new, freaky energy for the new year. I'm into it. Can't wait to see what she writes next ....

WHAT I LIKED:

- A combination of flash fiction, poetry, and short stories, this collection was unique and disturbing.
Laurel
Dec 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This collection was my first introduction to Sonora Taylor, and it was exceptional. Taylor has a strong, entertaining narrative voice, and so much versatility in her storytelling. She can break your heart, as in Weary Bones (which I think is still my favorite in this collection), make you angry (Cranberry, another favorite), twist all your expectations (Stick Figure Family, The Note), make you laugh, care, and cheer. These stories are wonderful, varied, and beautiful. There's a current of femini ...more
Heather
Oct 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Sonora Taylor’s Little Paranoias: Stories is a relatively brief anthology of 20 creepy short stories, including a couple of poems.

There’s a goodly handful of flash fiction pieces, very short and often powerful, such as The Note on the Door or Crust, Stick Figure Family or Drops. There are casual killers, serial killers, vengeance killers, and moment-of-passion killers. There are people who kill together (Always in My Ear and Salt), and people who kill alone. There are people who kill entirely w
Lilyn G. | Sci-Fi & Scary |
Sonora Taylor has a twisted mind that really shines in certain stories in her Little Paranoias collection. Without a doubt, it’s brightest in the stories Weary Bones, A Part of You, and Quadrapocalypse. If I could bundle just those three stories into their own mini-book, I would. They are so absolutely strange, morbid, and lovely.
However, while there were a couple others that I liked, the rest of the collection fell flat for me. The endings were, if not exactly expected, sort of bland. Nothing r
Marianne Halbert
Feb 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
A varied collection of solid stories that address loss, revenge, loneliness, betrayal and more. Looking forward to reading more from this author.
Michael Clark
May 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Many of Sonora's stories have a Twilight-Zone-type twist. She's really skilled at it. I will definitely read more ST!
Jamie
Oct 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Sonora Taylor is one of the authors I had the pleasure of meeting at Scares That Care weekend this year. Soon afterward, she was gracious enough to send me a copy of her new collection, Little Paranoias: Stories, for review consideration.

I enjoyed many aspects of this book. Let's start with that striking cover, and the artwork on the title page-- both caught my eye and drew me in from the beginning. Little Paranoias is a collection that includes poetry, flash fiction, and short stories. I  re ...more
Red Lagoe
Dec 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I LOVE flash fiction and short stories. This collection of horror by Sonora Taylor was a fun and gripping mix. Some of the bite-sized tales were quick, flavorful snacks that packed a good punch. Others were slightly longer stories meant to be savored. My favorites were WEARY BONES (I love the powerful message of this story), ALWAYS IN MY EAR, STICK FIGURE FAMILY (Ha! Didn’t see that coming), and SALT (gotta love a good horror romance). Okay, there are more that I really enjoyed, but I think thos ...more

• True Crime
  • Dear Laura
  • The Possession of Natalie Glasgow
  • The Cult Called Freedom House (Sophia Rey #1)
  • Till the Score is Paid
  • The Festering Ones
  • Violet
  • To Be Devoured
  • The Deep
Sonora Taylor is the award-winning author of Little Paranoias: Stories, Without Condition, The Crow’s Gift and Other Tales, Please Give, and Wither and Other Stories. Her short stories have appeared in multiple publications, including Camden Park Press’s Quoth the Raven, Kandisha Press’s Women of Horror Vol. 2: Graveyard Smash, The Sirens Call, Frozen Wavelets, Mercurial Stories, Tales to Terrify, ...more