Start by marking “Diary of an Awesome Friendly Kid: Rowley Jefferson's Journal” as Want to Read:
Diary of an Awesome Friendly Kid: Rowley Jefferson's Journal

Diary of an Awesome Friendly Kid: Rowley Jefferson's Journal

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  12,602 ratings  ·  504 reviews
Get ready for a whole new look into Jeff Kinney's Diary of a Wimpy Kid! Introducing the newest Wimpy Kid author--Rowley Jefferson! Rowley's best friend Greg Heffley has been chronicling his middle-school years in thirteen Diary of a Wimpy Kid journals . . . and counting. But it's finally time for readers to hear directly from Rowley in a journal of his own. In Diary of an ...more
Published April 9th 2019 by Harry N. Abrams

To ask other readers questions about Diary of an Awesome Friendly Kid, please sign up.
Andrew Sammut He's not an idiot considering how good he is in maths. He just thinks Greg needs help because he has issues probably. Or maybe he can't tell Greg that…moreHe's not an idiot considering how good he is in maths. He just thinks Greg needs help because he has issues probably. Or maybe he can't tell Greg that he feels abused or attacked because Greg would make fun of him considering how shitty and terrible Greg is.(less)

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of Diary of an Awesome Friendly Kid: Rowley Jefferson's Journal
Emily
Apr 09, 2019 rated it liked it
I was hoping that this would be a more, well, awesome and friendly book than the Wimpy Kid books but, alas, it was not. Instead, it was a chronicle of Greg's bullying from Rowley's perspective, and Rowley does a lot of minimizing and excusing. It was heartbreaking and very, very real. Like, jeez, this is a seriously abusive relationship. Are there funny parts? Yes, actually, especially if cringe humor doesn't make you feel overwhelming secondhand embarrassment. But oh my gosh poor Rowley! At ...more
Patty
Apr 14, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: reading-log
This book was a steaming pile of moldy cheese slices. What a train-wreck. I guess Jeff Kinney has gotten to a point in his career where neither he nor his publisher care what he writes; they just know that money will be made off of it, thanks to the success of Diary of a Wimpy Kid (a series that also needs to be laid to rest, but that’s a different story). This book seemed like it was put together the night before the draft was due to the publisher. It’s dumb, rushed, pointless, and lacks ...more
Destiny Henderson
Rowley needs to love himself.

It's no fun reading about how toxic a friend Greg is to Rowley. Greg's never been a saint, but with the focus solely on Rowley, we see how much of a butthole Greg is on a daily basis.

Greg, until you do right by Rowley, nothing's going to work for you.

Also, for a book about Rowley, there's too much Greg in it. On the other hand, who is Rowley without Greg. It might've been more fun if the book explored Rowley begrudgingly listening to his parents and finding other
Laurene
May 24, 2019 rated it did not like it

When my son was in grammar school, he read and reread the Wimpy Kid series. I was passing by a book display, it was the introduction of the latest installment of the series. The perspective of Rowley, who is Greg's best friend, was explored. I was hoping for a fun read and more escapades between the two friends. But, instead, the reader actually got to explore how Greg is just an ordinary manipulator and bully. I thought there would be some life lesson at the end. For example, Greg would
Ashley
Apr 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, 4-stars, 2019
I went into this really excited to read about Rowley and the things that go through his sweet little head, but instead I got a book about what a jerk Greg is. And, like, I knew he wasn't the best role model or well-behaved kid, but his books were funny, so I overlooked it.

Not that Rowley's "diary" wasn't funny - I laughed out loud plenty, and enjoyed this book more than the most recent Wimpy Kid book. But it was also a little sad to see Rowley get treated like garbage. These reviews really
Em*bedded-in-books*
After reading umpteen diaries of Greg, it was a welcome change to see things from Rowley's point of view . I thoroughly enjoyed his way of telling things..and yes, Rowley is an awesome friendly kid indeed.
kelly
Apr 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I got so excited when I saw this in the bookstore! Super funny and cute.

The Diary of a Wimpy Kid series is my guilty pleasure.
Riana
Apr 17, 2019 rated it it was ok
For the past few months, this awaited book had many in excited anticipation, had some shaking their heads and rolling their eyes. Why, you ask? Because this book is the story of Greg and Rowley’s friendship, told from a fresh perspective: Rowley’s.

This book is written more as a recollection of happenings from Rowley and Greg’s friendship, rather than a plotted story. Rowley tells readers how he and Greg became friends, shares some good and bad times from their relationship and – most importantly
Suzie
Apr 20, 2019 rated it did not like it
wow... just awful.
Sophie Crane
Apr 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book and I enjoyed reading the untold stories of Greg but I'd expected it to be slightly longer.
Blaze Theil
Apr 09, 2019 rated it did not like it
Wow, this book is terrible. I swear, it made me lose respect for two characters that I've always liked. I've always found the Diary of a Wimpy Kid series some of the funniest books I've ever read. Sure, it had some low points, like Double Down. But, just a few months ago, we got the entry that I consider to be the best in the series so far and THIS is how you follow it up? The entire book is just Rowley being an idiot and Greg manipulating him and being a horrible friend. I always knew he wasn't ...more
Caroline Blommel
May 23, 2019 rated it did not like it
Eric
Jun 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Must be pretty desperate to have a "friend" like Greg.

This book was basically a chronicle of all the times Greg has acted like a d*** to Rowley. The book was very repetitive and I really just read it because I thought seeing the Wimpy Kid series through Rowley's eyes. The only reason this book is not one star is because i give credit to Kinney for writing and drawing how most people would imagine Rowley to draw. If this book was not by such a great author my copy would be sitting in a landfill
Julie Suzanne
Apr 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
I almost didn't read this with all of the horrible reviews I saw! The consensus among adults seems to be that Greg is portrayed as a jerk with no redeeming qualities. Hello! I don't remember any redeeming qualities in any of the 13 DWK books! He has HORRIBLE character! That is who he is, and Rowley was always being bullied and used by him and you ALWAYS wondered why he put up with it, and this was no different in my opinion. I'm glad I read it anyway.

This installment is as funny as the rest. I
Karen
May 15, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: kids-and-ya
Disappointing. There were some funny moments, but I wanted a book about Rowley and this was mostly about Greg again. Also, without Greg's inner monologue to humanize him, he's really just a manipulative a**hole and Rowley his abuse victim.
Reilly
Apr 27, 2019 rated it liked it
Greg is such a terrible person lmao

Exceeded my expectations, one of the better newer books of the series and somewhat refreshing I must admit

Rowley needs to get out of this abusive relationship
The_boy_who_is_booked
Jul 19, 2019 rated it did not like it
Its not funny at all. The book is all about how Greg bullied Rowley and that's it. Jeff Kinney seriously needs to write something much better than this.
jessica
Nov 07, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I haven't read any of the Diary of a Wimpy Kid books. But now I'm not sure if I will ever.

Rowley was a cute kid, and deserves far more.
The entire story was really just Greg being extremely manipulative and abusive and Rowley making excuses for the behavior to make it seem not so bad. But it's still horrible?

And there's nothing at the end to redeem any of it. This viewpoint is just "we're best friends and best friends don't always get along so it's fine."

But that isn't healthy.
Madison-chan
My first review in a while! Anyway, this book is just sad. Rowley chronicles his abuse by Greg and we're supposed to find it funny.
Daisy
Apr 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a funny Diary of a _________ __________ kid story. I prefer the Diary of a Wimpy Kid books to Diary of an Awesome Friendly Kid, but it still had the same feel. I found it interesting reading from Rowley’s perspective and what he thinks of Greg. Well Done to Jeff Kinney managing to write from a different character’s perspective!
James
Apr 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Matthew Hunter
Jun 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Rowley’s a sweet kid; Greg’s not. I love that Kinney shows Rowley’s side of the story. Is Greg a bully? You decide.
Victor The Reader
Greg Heffley has never been the most liked character in his “Diary” series, but seeing his meek friend Rowley Jefferson get his own diary spin-off is a nice surprise, for a while. While it does focus mainly on Rowley most of the time, we keep seeing Greg continuously being a jerk to him and sees him more as a lowly minion to his obnoxious antics. Kinney’s illustrations and Rowley’s amusing narrative is what keeps this spinoff from being a pass and will still delight fans. Here’s a new title I ...more
Alli Wolfe
Oct 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed reading a book from Rowley's perspective. I wish it was a little bit more about Rowley and less about Greg. We already knew Greg is a really terrible friend from his own books. I don't know if this will be a series but I will read it if it continues.
Ms. Yingling
Nov 25, 2019 rated it it was ok
Public library copy
Rowley has been so intrigued by Greg's journals that he decides to write one of his own, illustrated in a similar (but not quiet as well done) way. At first, he claims that he is going to write about himself, but then decides he will make it a biography about Greg so he doesn't get angry. He then recounts his interactions with Greg, every single one of which makes me hate Greg even more. He's mean to Rowley, lies to him, gets him in trouble with his parents, and is generally a
Kelly K
Aug 27, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2019, work-reads
I didn't need a Greg biography. The damn kid already has many books. I wanted a book about Rowley doing Rowley things so I could get to know him as a character that wasn't from Greg's perspective.
Stephanie
Apr 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book was great like always! I love Rowley but this book made Greg seem really horrible. He’s not this bad in the other books. It was funny and enjoyable.
Sarah Hadd
May 05, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2019
I guess I’m just an old lady and I don’t see the attraction to these seriously unlikable kids. Oh well. This series really gets kids reading and that’s something!!
Limau Nipis
You know what, screw this book. After dedicating myself reading countless of Diary of a Wimpy Kid and its sequels, this book made me realise Greg Heffley, the wimpy kid and the star character in every book is actually a BULLY.

And I hate that, seriously I hate that.

Previously, I had some bad notions about Rowley Jefferson, the best friend. But then I realised, this book open my eyes on Greg, and what a hard truth I have to accept. A bully befriending Rowley.

And I was expecting to read about
Asma Essam
Jan 22, 2020 rated it it was ok
At first , I thought the book would be about another kid, but man it was Greg again. Reading about him from his best friend's perspective made me convinced that he is a jerk and there is no other way to say it. He got on my nerves even more than usual.
085290945773 Obat Aborsi Di Banyumas Klinik Aborsi Di Banyumas 1 3 Oct 25, 2019 09:11AM

• Big Nate: In a Class by Himself (Big Nate Novels, #1)
  • Batman vs. The Incredible Hulk
  • Tales from a Not-So-Popular Party Girl (Dork Diaries, #2)
  • Ghosts
  • Big Nate: Payback Time!
  • The Untold Legend of the Batman
  • Charlotte's Web
  • Dog Man (Dog Man, #1)
  • The Adventures of Ook and Gluk, Kung-Fu Cavemen from the Future
  • Camp
  • The Amazing Spider-Man, Vol. 1: Coming Home
  • Matilda
  • Where the Wild Things Are
  • A Scare of a Dare (Diary of a Minecraft Zombie, #1)
  • The Giving Tree
  • Captain Underpants and the Big Bad Battle of the Bionic Booger Boy, Part 2: Revenge of the Ridiculous Robo-Boogers (Captain Underpants, #7)
  • Dog Man: Fetch-22 (Dog Man, #8)
  • Big Nate: Hug It Out!
Jeff Kinney is an author of children's books including Diary of a Wimpy Kid book series. Jeff was born in College Park, Maryland, in 1971 where he created a comic strip called "Igdoof."He also created the children's website 'Poptropica'.
“Once people know you're a CHEATER it follows you wherever you go.” 1 likes