Start by marking “Celtic Myths” as Want to Read:
Celtic Myths

Celtic Myths

3.83  ·  Rating details ·  35 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
Bestselling author Sam McBratney recreates the magic of Celtic legends in this fascinating retelling. The stories encompass tales from English, Irish, Scottish, and Welsh folklore.
Published September 1st 2004 by Hodder & Stoughton (first published January 15th 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Celtic Myths, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Celtic Myths

Ellie  Dynek
An imaginative and fascinating collection of stories!
Christopher Cook
I love all things Celtic - Celtic music, Celtic imagery, etc., so I picked up this book because I decided that I wanted to familiarize myself with some Celtic mythology, and this was definitely a great book to choose. Compiled and rewritten by Sam McBratney and illustrated by Stephen Player, this book of Celtic myths is a beautiful collection of fifteen Celtic stories, all short and sweet. The illustrations are stunningly beautiful and give the reader a wonderfully pleasant visual aid. There is ...more
Bix
A collection of fifteen illustrated Celtic myths, including "The Hound of Ulster," "The Green Man," and "Little Fawn." Vividly illustrated and well-told, though some stories may be a bit grisly for younger children, including “Wee Johnny’s Revenge,” where a boy’s ghost gets revenge for being eaten in a stew."

CIP: "An illustrated collection of Celtic mythology including "The Hound of Ulster," "Limpet Rock," and "Wee Johnny's Revenge."

SLJ: Grade 3-5. McBratney introduces readers to the magical, e
Nancy Kotkin
A good beginner's collection of Celtic myths. But I think it's important in any mythology to understand how the stories and the people relate; that was missing from this book. Also, the stories are arranged in an odd order. For example, readers meet Oisin as an old man before we meet him as a young boy. We meet Gawain first as a powerful knight, and then later as a young man of seemingly little consequence. Illustrations add an artistic touch to the book.
Dec 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed reading these myths, it was a great blend of stories that were a good length for bedtime. I wasn't a huge fan of the illustrations, though, so I'll be looking around for another set before I decide which one to buy.
Bear
Jun 12, 2009 rated it really liked it
This had two stories I'd read before, including a King Arthur story! They were told just a little bit differently in some ways, though, but I could tell they were the same stories.
Leslie
Jul 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
Delightful. A light summary of the major Celtic tales for those who don't really want to know them in depth but always wondered.
Elaine
Derry
Sep 13, 2016
Billie
Sep 25, 2012
The Northern Ireland native started writing children's books when he was a teacher in his thirties, with the aim of helping out students who had trouble reading. But he continued writing for a more-personal reason: "the act of imagining simply makes me feel good," he says. The fifty-seventh book of Sam McBratney's career, and his first book with Candlewick Press, was the much-loved GUESS HOW MUCH ...more
More about Sam McBratney