Start by marking “Fix That Clock” as Want to Read:
Fix That Clock

Fix That Clock

A construction crew rebuilds a rickety old clock tower that has become home to wild animals in this picture book for fans of Sheep in a Jeep and Goodnight, Goodnight, Construction Site.

An underlying message of cooperation and conservation drives this rollicking introduction to counting and shapes.

The old clock tower used to stand tall and proud. Now, it's rusty, dusty, mo
Published November 26th 2019 by HMH Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Fix That Clock, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fix That Clock

Start your review of Fix That Clock
La Coccinelle
Jan 31, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
Fix That Clock is a really fun little book. It incorporates rhymes, numbers, shapes, and onomatopoeia to create a cute story about the repair of a decrepit clock tower.

The old clock tower is falling apart. So three builders come along to fix it. As they repair and replace, they dislodge a number of critters that have made their homes in the tower. But these are kindhearted folks, and they take the animals into account when they finish the job. The book ends on a sweet note.

The meter of the rhymi
Edward Sullivan
Dec 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
A lively rhyming story about cooperation and conversation as workers repair old clock that has become home to a variety of wildlife.
Richie Partington
Nov 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picturebooks
Richie’s Picks: FIX THAT CLOCK by Kurt Cyrus, Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, November 2019, 40p., ISBN: 978-1-328-90408-9

“Inertia - a tendency to do nothing or to remain unchanged”
— online definition from prezi.com

“Some of them were angry
At the way the Earth was abused
By the men who learned how to forge her beauty into power
And they struggled to protect her from them
Only to be confused
By the magnitude of her fury in the final hour”
— Jackson Browne, “Before the Deluge” (1974)

“The United States began
Shelli
Jan 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
An adorably illustrated tale of a small crew of workers rebuilding an old clock tower. I loved how the author included utilizing the reclaimed wood to re-home the tower’s furry and feathered residents.
Dee Dee G
Jan 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Very cute book. My son loved it.
Tasha
Feb 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Full of rhythm and rhyme, this picture book takes a broken down clock and rebuilds it. The clock is teetering and old, with the structure and the clock no longer functional. The only things that live in it are the wild animals who have moved in. So three builders arrive to change all of that. Floor-by-floor, they transform the zigzag of crooked walls into straight new boards and squares. The clock too gets reworked and soon the tower is straight and working once again. But what will happen to th ...more
Jo Oehrlein
Mar 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books, math
A clock tower has fallen into disrepair. Rhyming text describes the current state and the rebuilding that occurs, as well as the occupants of the tower.

We see some colors (blue, black, pink, purple, red, green) and color words, as well as ordinals and cardinal number words (with one-to-one correspondence with the illustrations).

Most math/counting intensive page is

Seven steps upon a stair.
Six are tangled, one is bare.
Five are red. Two are green.
Four are thick and three are lean.
Three are solid.
Aolund
Jan 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
A bouncy rhyme and lots of onomatopoeia make this STEM-y picture book a great modern nursery rhyme. The illustrations show three characters, one tall and thin with brown skin and no hair visible beneath a hard hat, another medium height with pale skin and slightly longer dark hair, and the third a fatter person with white skin and buzz-short hair. The genders of the various characters are never stated; what's more important to the story is how well the team works together to repair the crumbling ...more
Karen Johnson
Mar 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
I so appreciate Kurt Cyrus as an author and illustrator. His books aren't like everyone else's, and his detailed drawings and emphasis on math concepts are done better than in most picture books.

I read this, along with a number of other books, to my young nieces when I recently went for a visit, and it was a big hit - possibly tied with The Velveteen Rabbit even.

Excellent use of fun vocabulary and onomatopoeia.
Shows carpenters being careful with the wildlife (mice and birds)
All with a lovely su
Katie
Dec 22, 2020 rated it liked it
A fun construction book about rebuilding a clock tower. There are several pages where items are described and counted, so children could spend time finding the one stair that is nailed, the mouse running up a pant leg, or studying the shapes of the windows. Throughout the book, the text mentions that animals who are living in the clock, and at the end, it is nice to see the humans may have changed their home, but they also build little houses for the animals, so they are still welcome at the clo ...more
Lynn
Jan 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
3 workers arrive to repair a clock that is a bad state of disrepair. Cheerful and dynamic, this fun story is packed with great sound effects and plenty of action. The bright sharp illustrations are packed with details that so much to the story.

I especially love the new houses created for all the dislodged critters. This will make a good read aloud but there is so much to reward careful examination of the illustrations.

Perfect for young builders!
Abby Johnson
Adorable! In fun, rhythmic rhyming text that partially matches the cadence of Hickory Dickory Dock, this picture book shows a crumbling old clock and the steps that a group of builders take to fix it. This is sure to be a hit with young construction fans, but also add it to units on Mother Goose. My favorite part is at the end when the builders use their scraps to build houses for all the previous critter occupants of the clock (bats, swallows, mice).
Brenda
Feb 03, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I read this book with a 3 year old, and we loved it together. This was unexpected because the said child prefers pink books (think Pinkalicious, Fancy Nancy, Disney princesses, Angelina Ballerina, etc.). But she loved it. The text has a rhythmical feel. The art is clear. There are things to look for in each picture, such as shapes, animals, colors, the parts of a clock. I would recommend this for a read-aloud for children of all sorts of reading preferences!! A fun book.
Amy_Read to My Heart's Content
Fix That Clock is a beautiful story about a group of people getting together to fix this old falling apart clock. The carpenters, painters, and other helpful people go into it to gently help the "residents" in the clock tower get out while working on the clock tower. This is a great story that shows how we can work together to help make something functional and beautiful again.
Teamwork for the win!
Michael Ben Silva III
Dec 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Another Saturday Stories success. Rhyming and onomatopoeia combine with a friendly, well representative construction crew AND a happy ending for the many little animals first portrayed as invasive pests in the story.

All around nice. Building/construction or rhyming/sound words themed story times will benefit from this read aloud.
Kelly
Dec 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: rhyming, 2019
Wow, I absolutely loved this one! The pictures are so clean and crisp. The text works for the most part. Fixing a clock is a really interesting idea, and I am partial to gears myself. It's fun to see how the clock comes together like new and how everyone and everything is involved in it. ...more
Anthony
Dec 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
A tale told in rhyme about a construction crew that repairs and restores an old clock tower, and in the process of cooperation maintains the habitats of the many animals that had once made the abandoned clock their home.
Marcia
Jan 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
A fun rhyming book that depicts the rehab of a tumbledown clock tower. Lots of animal residents, lots of onomatopoeia! This will be fun to use with the Ks and 1s with some building activities in the makerspace.
Maria
Feb 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book was a lot of fun to read! It’s got different simple math ideas sprinkled in, plus lots of construction happening. The text is rhyming and has a good rhythm. The pictures are full of hilarious details. My kids asked to read it 3 times on the first day. (ages 2,4,6)
Heidi Doyle
May 11, 2020 rated it liked it
Colleen
Jul 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
Lyrical,, rhyming text chronicles the fixing of an old town clock. I really like rhyming text for read -alouds and these verses fit the bill. Use of repetitive sounds will have kids filled with delight.
Rachel Chapman
As other reviewers said, I loved the counting, numbers, shapes, rhymes & onomatopoeia of this book! I think this could be a great mentor text for a Picture-Perfect Science lesson - educators could do a culminating lesson with woodworking, clocks, birdhouses, anything. Maybe even a library makerspace collaboration? I remember doing wood & nail projects in preK and at home and loving them! : )
Kathryn
Dec 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-read
Really liked it was super cute
Robin
Dec 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Great read-aloud with fascinating illustrations of renovating an old clock. Tools, animals, all sorts of things to grab your attention in this one. Recommended for ages 4-6.
Linda
Dec 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
My 3- and 5- year old grandsons loved this book.
Tracie
Dec 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
A crew works on a rickety clock tower.
Alyssa Gudenburr
A good book about fixing an old clock. I like how they made houses for the animals that moved in. The story is very long, so it would be better for an upper elementary read aloud.
Lindsey
Dec 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a great storytime readaloud!
Mary
Dec 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: wish-list, math
Great picture book to encourage building careers, Maker emphasis, and the usefulness of math.
Ms Threlkeld
Dec 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Lyrical text that demands to be read aloud and a sweet ending.

• Saturday
  • The Color of Law: A Forgotten History of How Our Government Segregated America
  • The Old Truck
  • Parable of the Sower (Earthseed, #1)
  • Rocket Says Look Up!
  • Beverly, Right Here
  • Find Me (Call Me By Your Name, #2)
  • Fire Cider!: 101 Zesty Recipes for Health-Boosting Remedies Made with Apple Cider Vinegar
  • Dear Black Boy