Start by marking “Here and Now” as Want to Read:
Here and Now

Here and Now

A stunning celebration of mindfulness and a meditation on slowing down and enjoying each moment, from the team behind the award-winning Windows

Explore identity and connection, inspire curiosity, and prompt engaging discussions about the here and now.
Published September 3rd 2019 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt

To ask other readers questions about Here and Now, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Here and Now

Start your review of Here and Now
La Coccinelle
Sep 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
This is an interesting meditation on mindfulness. I don't think I'd recommend it to very young children, but for those who are beginning to forget how to live in the moment, this book could be a good reminder.

The author's note at the end explains that she intended this book to be a meditation on the present moment. In that respect, it works. The gentle text and interesting illustrations show the reader the many different things that might be happening in that one moment, no matter where they
Abigail
Sep 11, 2019 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Those Seeking Picture-Books Meant to Encourage Mindfulness
Shelves: picture-books
Author Julia Denos and illustrator E.B. Goodale, who previously collaborated on the picture-book Windows , join forces again in this lovely exploration of mindfulness, and being in the here and now. As the reader holds the book, the narrator informs them that any number of other things - phones ringing, a baby growing, an idea blooming - are also going on. At any given moment, the reader/listener themselves is "becoming," and that's a wonderful thing...

Inspired by a poem that Denos wrote as
Julie
Stunning, colorful picture book about the interconnectedness of all things and the ways in which "Unseen work is being done" all around us as we exist in the here and now. A lovely book about mediation and awareness, with illustrations that reflect cultural diversity in terms of age, race, and ability. Beautifully done!
paula
MEDITATION STORYTIME. Totally gonna do it.
Annie Wolf
Jul 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Gorgeous illustrations and a lovely message.
Tasha
Oct 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
The team who created the award-winning picture book Windows returns with a look at mindfulness. The book walks readers through a different way to view their own place in the world. It closely examines the ground under our feet and what is happening all around us at any given time, like rain collecting in a cloud. Animals around us are living their lives. We are on a planet spinning in space. New friends are waiting and new connections are being formed. And you, you are becoming something too!

Margie
Sep 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Sunday morning, standing outside on the hill, clouds were at the beck and call of the wind. Wispy smoky clouds, barely above the horizon, were moving to the west and larger fuller clouds, higher and above them, were moving to the east. Birds were enjoying the benefits of a heavy earlier rainfall. After an overcast day, as dusk settled crickets chirped their evening chorus. Large wild rabbits, fur darkening, froze like statues, nearly blending in the tall weeds dying as autumn approaches.

Two
Jonine Bergen
Oct 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is filled with diverse characters living and existing with all these things happening around them. The author intends to the reading of the story to be an act of mediation. Beautiful art helps to capture the pauses and movements of the reflection.
I think this picture book may be appreciated at a different level by older children and adults.
Ashley
Nov 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow. Lovely, meditative, great for encouraging thoughts for others existing outside of yourself. Creativity-fuelling (a friend you haven't met yet is sitting down for dinner). Nice illustrations of an interracial family--I read the mom as Asian and the dad and child as Black. Lovely to see more families represented in picture books.
Stephanie Croaning
Oct 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019, picture-books
This book definitely reads better if you have an understanding of the author's intent. I highly recommend reading the author's note in the back of the book first, then read the story. Once you do, you understand that this is meant to be a book that invites mindful meditation to engage young readers in being engaged in the present, the here and now.
Sheri
Nov 06, 2019 rated it liked it
This is not a traditional picture book structure. The story is a mindfulness study of you and what is happening around you while you read this book. The rhythmic words and sentences seem to relax the reader as you read this gentle story of what is happening as you experience the book. The colors are soft and not bright and striking but calming.
Juliana Lee
How do you fit into the world? In the here and now, you are looking at this book, ants are working on the other side of the world, ideas are blooming, cuts and broken bones are healing, and the world is spinning. What other things do you think are happening in the here and now?
Robin
Oct 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Lovely picture book about everything that is always happening all around us. Little bit of a Margaret Wise Brown vibe with skillfully exploring big ideas with small children. Great companion to talking about mindfulness or time. Highly recommended for quieter moments with ages 4-7.
Katie
Sep 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A beautifully illustrated introduction to mindfulness concepts. Doesn't feel pedantic/preachy at all, and without the author's note, a reader could miss that it's about mindfulness at all, which broadens its appeal.
Anthony
A story expanded from a poem about the ability and good times of being able to slow things down, and enjoy all that is around you, and realize that no matter where you are, or what you're doing, or experiencing that you're a part of the universe.
Nadia L. Hohn
Sep 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
What a poetic and enjoyable books about mindfulness meditation and being in the moment for children. It is a beautiful tool to help calm a child (or child within the adult) and “ground” oneself. The illustrations feature diverse children.
Mary Engels
Dec 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is lovely. As opposed to a "how to" be in the moment, it truly is, which brings you right there; truly Here and Now! Recommend it highly. The authors/Illustrators Denos and Goodale have created another magical experience.
Molly
Oct 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
A beautifully illustrated picture on mindfulness. It would be great for helping kids calm down.
Molly
Nov 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Mindfulness. Being present.
Courtnei
A beautiful story with lovely illustrations.
Elizabeth
Aug 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Reading this gives me a similar feeling to reading the Tao Te Ching. Clear, good, whole, loved, loving, centered, and like the world is actually a good place.
Darshana Khiani
Oct 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A meditative book for any aged reader.
Becky
Aug 29, 2019 rated it liked it
A bit fluffy for me, but quite sweet with nice illustrations. Would make for a good, soft, calm bedtime story.
Kim
Oct 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture, mindfulness
A good introduction to show kids that there are so many things going on that are bigger than you. A way to focus your energy. A good introduction to meditation.
Kirsti Call
Oct 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful meditation for parent and child to read together. Stunning illustrations combine with lyrical words for a luscious experience in the HERE AND NOW.
Alison
Sep 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Pretty illustrations, but not my type of book
Mary
Nov 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Really lovely, gentle story with beautiful illustrations.
Marie
Oct 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mindfulness
Right now unseen work is being done.

Right here, right now, YOU are becoming you.
Sue Doherty
Oct 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry, picture-books
Beautiful illustrations and text. I can see this book being used for mindfulness exercises in a classroom or library.
Christina Brandsma
Oct 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
I think this could be helpful for anxious children, or even adults. The mindfulness techniques seemed calming and the illustrations were beautiful.

• The Proudest Blue
  • I Want a Dog
  • Just in Case You Want to Fly
  • Truman
  • Red House, Tree House, Little Bitty Brown Mouse
Julia Denos earned a BFA in illustration from The Art Institute of Boston at Lesley University. She lives outside of Boston.