Start by marking “Nowhere on Earth” as Want to Read:
Nowhere on Earth

Nowhere on Earth

It starts with a plane crash.

Then the men arrive. They are hunting the girl and boy. And-

And that's all we can tell you ...
Published January 8th 2019 by Hodder Children's Books

To ask other readers questions about Nowhere on Earth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nowhere on Earth

Start your review of Nowhere on Earth
Lilith Black Bee
May 07, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
E-ARC provided by the publisher through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. My opinions are my own and are not affected in any way.

Actual rating: 4.5 ⭐

You don't need to truly know someone in order to be able to love them. You can love them even when you know their true self is alien to the rest of the world as you know it. This is the feeling that this book let me with.
Usually I write my reviews with PROS and CONS points, unless it's a DNF, but when my mind almost can't make a compr
April (Aprilius Maximus)
“Stories are powerful things. People look for them, even when they don't exist.”

representation: MC has Salvadoran heritage.

[trigger warnings are listed at the bottom of this review and may contain spoilers]

This was super intriguing and fast paced! We're thrown right into the action from the get go and all we really know is that a girl and her 'brother' are on the run after being in a plane crash. The writing is super simple with a few memorable quotes sprinkled in, but overall it was a reall
Shannon (It Starts At Midnight)
This was one of the weirdest books I have ever read in my life. And also somehow one of the best? Like the synopsis says, I can’t tell you much about it, but the entire premise has the potential to be utterly ridiculous but it’s somehow not at all? This book got me right in the feels, and it also features some cool survival stuff and an amazing setting deep in the Alaskan wild. And family bonds! Just read it, yeah?

Straight up I read this book in May and I STILL think about it, so. I'll throw thi
Karen’s Library
May 17, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley, sci-fi
Nowhere on Earth was a surprise to me as I wasn’t sure what it was about going in. It turned out to be one of the sweetest stories I’ve read in ages! Emily and her little brother Aiden are stowaways on a small mail plane which is heading to Anchorage, Alaska, from a very small town in rural Alaska when the plane crashes.

Emily, Aiden, and Bob the pilot have to survive the freezing cold, the bears, avalanches, and... the men in white who are trying to kill them.

Emily was a wonderful character as
Marjolein
I wasn't entirely sure what I was expecting from Nowhere on Earth. There is a lot going on for sure. A girl on the run, a plane crashing in the middle of nowhere and government officials that are after her 'brother'. Maybe a little bit too much for my taste.

Nevertheless, there was something that captivated me when I was reading Nowhere on Earth. It was almost as if there was an alien trying to get me to care about the book 😉. It is rather action packed, so a quick read, but it also touches on s
Jypsy
Oct 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This review was written by my 11 year old son.

I recieved a gifted copy, and voluntarily reviewed this book. All opinions are belonging to me.

Review:

Nowhere on Earth: brilliant! Recently, (About three days ago), I finished Nowhere on earth, by Nick Lake. I have also read, from him, Sattelite. Satellite was amazing! He took a sort of different turn on this one. Anyway, on to the story. Sixteen-year-old Emily finds 7-year-old Aidan wandering in the woods outside her house in Alaska, after returni
Caitlin 🍅Tomato Queen🍅 Theroux
Thanks to NetGalley for the ARC. The opinions expressed herein are mine alone and may not reflect the views of the author, publisher, or distributor.

This review contains spoilers.

You’ve probably heard me say this before: I tried to like this book. I really tried. Every aspect of this book were nickels in my gumball machine, and in my excitement, I neglected to note that each ball smelled faintly of feet and armpit sweat before popping them into my mouth for the unfortunate mouthful.

To wit, this
Annemieke / A Dance with Books
Thank you to Knopf Books for Young Readers for the review copy in exchange for an honest review. This does not change my opinion in anyway.

While Nowhere on Earth is a sci-fi story, at its core it is a story of self-discovery in a difficult situation for a young girl.

Emily has gotten into some trouble at school and when she meets Aidan, an alien, she finds she has more reasons to run away. Emily finds herself along the way. Pretty basic and for the most part it is. There are elements that didn'
Madison
Nowhere on Earth is one part sci-fi, one part adventure story. I really enjoyed this story of survival - both against the elements and against the bad guys. Rugged terrain and the beauty of an icy Alaska backdrop brings a sense of harshness and danger to the story, while the mystery of Emily’s past and who and what exactly Aidan is, draws the reader in.

Emily is on a mission to save her brother. They have snuck aboard a plane heading from nowhere Alaska to Anchorage. Emily has been wanting to es
Jude
Dec 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
My initial thoughts were that this book was probably a 3.5 star book but I did find it quite compelling so I went with 4 stars. The plot is unusual - a young girl is trying to help an alien (in the form of a small boy) get to a place where he can be transported home. Don't be put off, there is a lot more to the story than that - there's a plane crash, men chasing them with assault rifles etc.
Andy
Apr 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020-read, arc, own-ebook
4.5/5

I received this ARC from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

This was a wild ride!! After like the first two chapters, I was hooked. And the chapters are so short, which was kind of a relief since the book before had ridiculously long chapters.

It starts with a plane crash. There are survivors: a teenage girl and her little brother. They are running from something. But what? Then the men arrive. They are hunting the girl and boy.

Emily was a great character, I loved her spunk and q
Teresa
Mar 05, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Thank you to NetGalley, Nick Lake, and Random House Children’s for the opportunity to read Nowhere on Earth in exchange for an honest review.

What initially drew me to this book was the point in the back-of-book blurb which reads: “But getting home is no easy matter, especially [when] Emily finds out that Aidan isn’t even from Earth.” Cool, aliens! I’m into reading about aliens right now…

Despite this book featuring an alien, it was quite mundane in the science-fiction elements. Rather, this book
Lilyfae
Jan 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
The plot is an intriguing one, two youths on the run from mysterious men with guns in the Alaskan wilderness turns out to be far more complicated than a simple chase and survival story with awakening, coming of age and hopefulness amidst disaster permeating the plot.

Inevitable comparisons will be made to ET but I think that does the book a disservice as it really is several metaphorical journeys woven together, the actual physical journey but emotional ones too; especially the coming of age of t
Georgina
Dec 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, 4-stars
NETGALLEY CURRENTLY HAS THIS AS A READ NOW... GO GO GO!

14/12/19 - 4.5 Stars
WOW...

I think I'm in shock right now. I fully went into this not knowing what to expect - actually I don't really remember properly reading the synopsis at all so it was definitely one hell of a ride. I have to say, not knowing what I was getting into made the whole reading experience so much more entertaining, and maybe that is why I loved this book so much. It is definitely NOT your typical survival story.

"The explosio
Jean Kirby
Apr 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is an exciting adventure story about a girl who finds an alien boy near her house. (Yes - it is a science fiction thriller) She runs away from home to protect him and ends up in a small aircraft which crashes. From then on the children and the pilot are running from the sinister"men in black" who want to capture the alien boy.
This is a bit like the E.T. story but was exciting enough, with a bear encounter and the difficulties of surviving in the snow.
I enjoyed this and think it would appeal
Lucy Gotham
Apr 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
Fast paced action, lovable characters, emotional moments, intriguing set up. What more could you want from a sci-fi YA read? Really enjoyed it!
Kriss
Feb 24, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed Nowhere on Earth. It is so nice to find a YA novel that isn't about falling in love, but focuses on family! I really enjoyed the action of Nick Lake's writing and I'll be looking for more books by him!
Dawn Woods
Jan 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
If anyone had told me the crucial detail of this book I would not have picked it up, and would have missed out on a wonderfully compelling novel. We quickly learn that Emily stowed away on a plane which crashes in the Alaskan mountains. Luckily she is unhurt and the pilot alive. She was accompanied by her young brother, but the reason for their escape is not fully revealed immediately. The spot tracker which will enable rescue is concealed by Emily herself, suggesting she really doesn't want to ...more
Cath Jane
Jan 03, 2020 rated it it was ok
Throughout the book I was enjoying Nick Lake’s style of writing. There was description present but it was cleverly masked by the intriguing plot. When I book has heavy description it tends to take me a very long time to read it. Whereas I flicked through the novel in a couple of days! The plot wasn’t hard to follow, and you don’t need to read this book my any means. However it is a good book to get you out of a slump, and it’s different to anything I’ve read before in the YA section!
The rest of
Kim
Apr 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
This book is everything and more.
It's a weird one, at first. Yet, I was not able to put it down.

Nowhere on Earth centres around a teenaged girl, Emily, and her not-really-brother Aidan. Aidan who - as it turns out - is not human and who needs to send a message into space to get back to his people. There are some obvious ET-Referances that even the book itself acknowledges, but it is also so, so much more than that.

It's a story about unconditional (non-romantic!) love, about growing up and bec
Ixxati
Apr 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
Reading this make me feels like I'm watching ET lol I read this in one sitting! It was a fun adventure and full of actions. Emily survival skill and her actions doesn't fit her age but whatever it's cool af!! She tried hard to make take her younger brother, Aidan to somewhere safe.
I love Emily and Aidan's relationship. You can see how much they love each other.

Thank you Netgalley, publisher and author for this ARC! Omg! The cover is soooo beautiful!!
Library Queen
This was a weird, beautiful book. Set in Alaska in the mountains (I'm freezing just thinking about it), the craziness starts immediately with a plane crash, where Emily is just trying to keep herself, her brother (or is he?) and the pilot alive. This book managed to cram in a survival story, aliens, a family coming together, and following your dreams all in under 300 pages.
Loni
Aug 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
Ok, I'm not even sure how I ended up picking this book to read but I'm glad I did! I read it quickly and really enjoyed it. Some of the writing style took some adjusting to get used to, but I really liked this book! Suspense, mystery action, a bit of sci-fi. Really good book.
E'in Nadh
May 12, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs, 2020
Was mildly bored even with things happening non stop. Took me a long time to get through this.
Alex Peachman
May 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
This story is a very unusual mix of adventure, survival, sci-fi and family/school drama. I was hooked from the beginning: Emily and her brother survive a plane crash in the Alaskan wilderness, and have to trek to Anchorage, further north. But are they what they appear to be at first?

To tell you any more would spoil the story, but I can tell you that the chapters are short and the action is fast-paced. The back-story is slowly and cleverly revealed. The ending is not entirely unexpected, but with
Emily
~ Thank you to NetGalley, Random House, and Knopf Books for providing me with an early copy for review! ~

This was a super quick read with some very interesting ideas. Ultimately, I do think the story is slightly forgettable, but the messages it carries are very memorable.

I went into this hoping for a fast-paced survival story, and that is definitely what I got out of it. Of course, Aidan (the young boy in this novel) also represents a much larger message, one that is quite poignant and fitting.
Wilmarie (lesbe.reader on IG & TikTok)
Thank you to the publisher and Netgalley for the opportunity to read this arc.
I'm going to make this really short because I have barely anything to talk about. My reviews of arcs aren't usually this short but here we go. This book had so little sci-fi elements that I feel shouldn't be promoted as such. I felt like barely anything happened. The story was boring and so were the characters. That's it, that's all I have to say. That's how much I disliked this book.

Disclaimer I dnfed this book but m
Kerri
Sep 29, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you like Alaskan wilderness survival missions, alien encounters, and girls struggling to fit in during high school, this is the book for you. It's a beautiful interpretation of the love we feel for our families and the wonder we find in the world.
Chelsey
Jan 10, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf
Two kids and a pilot survive a plane crash. You soon find out that the kids are running from something or someone. The protagonist is a 16-year-old girl protecting her little brother. The book is about their journey braving the Alaskan wilderness, and running from men with guns to their destination. It’s hard to say more than that without spoilers.

I thought the writing was good, the characters well-developed. I loved the tidbits of the children’s past that slowly came to light. But the story ju
Sara Milioni di Particelle
*I received this book thanks to Netgalley and the publisher in exchange of honest review*

The story begins with a crash. Emily, clandestine on a freight plane, does not imagine that the plane is crashing and that with her, Aidan, who she claims to be her little brother, is also risking her life. Both come out unscathed and with them also the pilot Bob, who will join them in this adventure. Crashed in the national park in Alaska, in the cold of the snow and glacial temperatures, all three find the
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• High-rise Mystery
  • The Bridge
  • Why No Goodbye?
  • Strange Exit
  • Mortal Sight (The Colliding Line, #1)
  • The Gifted, the Talented and Me
  • Cracking the Bell
  • A Pocketful of Stars
  • Toffee
  • Solstice
  • Golden Arm
  • All Eyes on Her
My name is Nick and I write and edit books for young adults. My first YA novel IN DARKNESS, was published by Bloomsbury in 2012 and won the Michael L Printz Award for Excellence in YA Literature. I also wrote a book called HOSTAGE THREE about a girl kidnapped by Somali pirates.

THERE WILL BE LIES is coming in January 15 and is about a girl who learns that everything she knows is a lie. To say it's