Start by marking “Frankie's Favorite Food” as Want to Read:
Frankie's Favorite Food

Frankie's Favorite Food

A scrumptiously adorable story about a boy, a school play and his love for food. Featuring foods from all over the world, this debut picture book will make you hungry for more!

Frankie has a problem: he has too many favorite foods. He can't bring himself to choose just one to be for the school play, so on the day of the performance, he's still without a costume. His teacher
Published August 20th 2019 by Tundra Books (NY)

To ask other readers questions about Frankie's Favorite Food, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Frankie's Favorite Food

Start your review of Frankie's Favorite Food
La Coccinelle
Jun 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, children, netgalley
This is a cute story about a kid who loves food so much that he can't decide on his favourite. All the kids at his school are dressing up as their favourite foods for the end-of-year show. But since Frankie can't decide on a favourite, his teacher makes him the costume manager. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, as Frankie helps everyone else be their best food-selves and makes the show run smoothly. And when it's all over, Frankie finally figures out what his costume should be!

There are quite
Amber Webb
Jun 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Frankie's Favorite Food had me laughing from beginning to end. Maybe it was because I too love food or maybe it was because we all have a hard time making decisions sometimes. Whatever the reason, I think that kids (and adults) will connect with the story and have fun reading it. And in the end, we all love some leftovers!
Etienne
Jun 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Simple story about a school organizing an end of the year show where everyone dress like there favorite foods. Funny, there is some good humor, it’s well illustrated and a simple but overall good and entertaining story.
Kate
Sep 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Frankie's Favorite Food is a fun story about a little boy trying to decide what his favorite food is for a costume in a school show. He's so conflicted because there are just too many options and he loves ALL foods!
The illustrations are lovely, bright, detailed, and eye-catching. The text and illustration placement provides for a good reading flow. No missed sentences due to awkward text placement like some children's books choose to do. The wordplay is fun and it is easy to read aloud. My 4
joyce w. laudon
Jun 24, 2019 rated it liked it
For the school performance, each child is going to dress up as a favorite food. There is a wonderful array of choices. The only one who cannot decide is Frankie because he likes so many things! His teacher is not in favor of some of his amusing combinations. She suggests that instead he help with the costumes. As a reader, I was not sure that I agreed with the message that sent as it seemed to discourage Frankie's creativity. But..wait until the end to see what Frankie does.

This is a book with
Ms. Arca
Jun 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
10/10 stars this book wins.
Great art
Adorable (relatable!!!!) MC (a brown kid who LOVES all the foods)
Fun cast of characters (all his classmates dressed as foods)
Food puns that cheer others on throughout
And a sweet ending that is again, relatable!

This is perfect for the classroom or for home. It’s simple but in its simplicity it really is a win.

Buying it! / Giving it as a gift / Using in my classroom!

Thanks to the publishers and NetGalley for an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

Only
Whitney
Oct 28, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books, humor, twn
All of Frankie's classmates are dressing up as their favorite foods for the school play. But Frankie can't choose what to be - he has too many favorite foods! Luckily, Frankie is able to help out as stage manager and then figures out his own costume right before the play is about to end. What will he be?

This quirky book is filled with fun, fanciful illustrations of food and sweet characters. Older readers will enjoy the offbeat story and food puns. While these will be over the heads of younger
Leah Horton
Jun 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Frankie’s Favorite Food could easily be written about my son. This was a cute story about a creative boy named Frankie who loves all things food! Taking his passion for food to the stage he creates a wonderful play with his classmates.

The drawings were bright and eye catching and the story was fun and short. A positive food related story in a word of picky eaters!

I think I might Spa-get-ti this for my son to read!
Michelle
Jun 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s, netgalley
***Thanks to the publisher and #NetGalley for providing me with a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review***
Frankie's Favorite Food has everything I love in it. One, there are yummy looking food and I feel the same way as Frankie - who could pick just one favorite food? Two, cheesy puns and alliteration are always a crowd-pleaser! And three, the story sends a wonderful message about being different and not necessarily knowing your path, but being able to find meaning and joy!
Ryan
Jul 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a fun food adventure. Frankie is the opposite of a picky eater, he loves all food. He loves it so much he has a hard time picking his favorite food to make into a costume for the last day of school. His teacher is completely understanding and lets him be the stage manager until he comes up with the perfect idea. The ending is what really makes this book sing. Up to then it was kind of boring, but the ending makes a great meal.
Jessica Furtado
Aug 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
All of the cheesy food puns are perfect in this delectable picture book about a school play. I almost laughed out loud at the runaway burrito screaming "Oh no! My salsa!" and the macaron singing "Heeey MACARON-a!"

The ending combines the ingredients in this story of an indecisive foodie into one perfect dish.
Courtnei
This book is too relatable, at least for people like me who can't pick favorites ever. Frankie has a very unique taste in foods for an elementary aged student and I love it. This would be a great book to read to upper elementary students and talk about all of the different foods and where someone of them come from!
Helena#bookdreamer
Jun 10, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
Cute storybook about a boy who loves food so much he can't decide what he wants to dress up as for the school play. He ends up helping his classmates and in the mist of all the commotion he figures out what he wants to be. Delightfully funny and fun to read.
Thank you netgalley for providing this ARC in exchange for an honest review.
Alyssa
Jan 21, 2020 rated it liked it
The illustrations were cute and it included lots of puns, but the story felt very meh to me (reading as an adult). I could see this leading to a lot of food conversations between readers and listeners.
Neha Thakkar
Jul 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
#FrankiesFavoriteFood is scrumptious and adorable. Frankie is part of his school’s food-extravaganza...only one problem. He doesn’t have a favorite food. He loves ALL of them. Will he find a favorite in time for the big show? Adorable, highly recommend. Thanks to #NetGalley for an eARC
Miss Sarah
Oct 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
An elementary and up book about a school play featuring food costumes where one boy can't pick his favorite food. So cute and loved the ending.
Alyssa Gudenburr
A very cute book about a child who can't decide his favorite food. It is a little on the long side so it would be a better one-on-one elementary story.
Kelly Barton
Jul 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Whether introducing a child to new foods or laughing along as they pick and choose their own favorites, this is a fun and energetic read. A great book for any future foodie!
Jacqui
Adorable!
Jill Anderson
Oct 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books, school
FOOD! I love it. Just like Frankie.
Victoria
Jun 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My 6 year old son really enjoyed this story. He wanted to read it two days in a row! Teaches a lesson in creativity and teamwork.
Yolanda
Jun 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thank you to Penguin Random House Canada and NetGalley for giving me an opportunity to read this eArc.

When I told my son to read this book with me he wasn't enthusiastic about the title or topic. Then I started reading and my 2 year old daughter insisted she sit on my lap for this story as well! Soon we were gathered around my computer screen and started laughing at the cute illustrations of kids dressing up as their favorite food. This book is adorable, funny, with beautiful illustrations and
Jillian (PidginPea's Book Nook)
Oh my goodness. This is OFFICIALLY my favorite picture book of the year! I loved everything about this one!! The story, the illustrations, the food puns, FRANKIE. Frankie can’t decide what food he should dress up as for his school’s play, because he loves all the foods. (I feel ya, Frankie.)

Mrs. Mellon suggests he should be the costume manager, since he loves all the foods so much. Frankie shines in his role and makes the show a success! And what a show it is – from breakfast to dessert, every
Ali