Start by marking “Finding Aurora” as Want to Read:
Finding Aurora

Finding Aurora

Aurora Rose slumbers in the city of Oldpass, a cursed kingdom once allied with Grimvein. The victim of a malicious spell, she is powerless to control her own fate. At least, that’s how the story goes.

Now, as Grimvein faces attack, Prince Amir has been tasked with the life-threatening rescue of Aurora, his parents hopeful he will marry the princess and secure safety for the
Published December 24th 2018 by NineStar Press

To ask other readers questions about Finding Aurora, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Finding Aurora

Start your review of Finding Aurora
Lex Kent
This was a good and entertaining novella by Langham. As you may already know, this is a retelling of Sleeping Beauty. I enjoy reading queer retellings of fairytales and this ended up being exactly what I was hoping for.

Since this is a novella and time is short, I really liked that Langham started the story right in the thick of things. It helped set the book up with a good pace that continued through the whole story. There was plenty of danger and foes around every corner to keep me reading the
Farah
Confession - I have never watched Disney's 1959 Sleeping Beauty till the end, can't blame the Sandman for falling asleep as the movie was just bad. Disney's 2nd effort is wayyyy better, who can resist Jolie playing villain but the constantly giggling Aurora (she did the same in We Bought A Zoo) gets on my Nerf Target Practice List.

So why read Finding Aurora? Two big names when it comes to Fantasy/Action/Adventure genre - Lex and F recommend it, that's why. Whisper - the enticing cover plays a ti
Joc
Talia, the caster of Grimvein accompanies Prince Amir on his quest to awaken Aurora Rose in the hopes that their two kingdoms can once again be allied as they were over a century before. Prince Amir will willingly put his personal needs aside for the kingdom and so will Talia. She’s the strongest spellcaster in the land and also feels a kinship for Amir.

This is a retelling of Sleeping Beauty with a difference. I liked the difference. The descriptions are interesting and evocative. Talia as a cha
E.

This book is May's Sapphic Book Club read hosted by @sapphicliterature.

★★★★⭐ | Predictable but I still really enjoyed it!

I don't really know what yo say without spoiling too much but it's a nice sapphic Sleeping Beauty retelling with a bisexual MC who does some magic. There's a prince as well. He doesn't do much but he's cool too.
I wish there was some sort of an epilogue though because it ended too soon for me.
Also, I smiled the whole read so give it a go if you need something sweet and short!
. (not active on this account stop adding me)
rep: bi mc, ace side character, f/f romance

i can’t really give this a higher rating because it was so boring despite only being 70 pages long
JulesGP
Dec 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Two things I loved about this book, the reader is thrown right into the action and secondly, the language is tight and clean. Two of my favorites qualities in a story. As many know, Finding Aurora is a retelling of Sleeping Beauty with a handsome prince and a royal spell-caster on a quest to awaken a beautiful princess. Action packed, full of scary creatures, brave deeds, narrative twists and turns, romance, it’s all there but in small quantities, like a tease. My sincere hope is that the author ...more
BadassCmd
This book was the May 2019's Sapphic Book Club read hosted by sapphicbookclub.

This is a really nice short retelling of Sleeping Beauty with a twist.

I think the plot twist was fairly obvious right off the bat, but it's still a great idea. And that most of the short plot consists of an adventure quest is not the most exciting for me personally, but a few nice details still made it an enjoyable read.

I think what stood out for me most in this novella is the description of how magic works in this wor
Phoenix
May 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing

This book was May's Sapphic Book Club read by @sapphicliterature.

This novella was so beautifully written. It was short but every aspect was perfect. I saw where the ending was going fairly early on, but there were still twists along the way, all delightful. Literally everything about this read spoke to my heart and I loved it. Fairy tales, magic users, both sapphic and aspec rep? The acknowledgment of platonic love as equally strong and important to romantic love? Perfection
Luce
4 Stars for this Sleeping Beauty (Aurora Rose) retelling.

The prince in this case is Prince Amir from the kingdom of Grimvein. He is accompanied by a powerful spellcaster, the Leading Caster of Grimvein, Talia. Amir's parents task him to awake and marry Aurora who has been asleep for 100 years. Many have tried but none had succeeded to getting to her. The two of them are hopeful that by working together they can reach Aurora. Of course there is that little detail of True Love's Kiss...

I really en
Jess
This book was provided for free by the publisher and Love Bytes in exchange for an honest review.

This review was first posted to Love Bytes: LGBTQ Book Reviews. It has been slightly edited here for content.

Fairy tale retellings for older readers are only interesting if they subvert childhood expectations to reveal something more about the fantasy worlds we like to inhabit. The actual message of how love takes many forms in this short story is wonderful, but the journey we take to get there is li
F.
Jan 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sleeping Beauty with a difference.

I enjoyed this short story that retells the story of Sleeping Beauty as a quest for self-discovery. Prince Amir is tasked with rescuing Aurora Rose (Sleeping Beauty) from her 100 year slumber in order to marry her for political alliance. His quest companion is spellcaster Talia. Talia loves the Prince and her spirit friend and guide Red who comes to her in time of need. Red has no form in the world, but she has Talia’s heart.
How do you get from this set-up to
Tara
Jun 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a wonderful book! I especially loved how Langham delightfully queered up Sleeping Beauty in more ways than one (again, I’m avoiding sharing spoilers), while keeping the story in a traditional fairy tale setting.

Full review: https://www.thelesbianreview.com/find...
Karen
Dec 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
In many ways I wish this was longer only because I enjoyed it so much, but I do feel it works it's currently length. This is a different take on Disney's Sleeping Beauty. Everyone has seen this at some point in there life right? Prince has to kiss the sleeping princess to wake her from the spell that has been cast on her.

I went into Finding Aurora blindly. Langham does a great job retelling this story in a new way. Prince Amir and Talia (a spellcaster and employee of the King and Queen) head to
Ashley
Dec 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: bb-review
If you are a fan of fairytale retellings, Finding Aurora by Rebecca Langham is one you’re going to want to grab to read ASAP. This is a kickass Sleeping Beauty retelling and it was refreshing to see the Prince having a female spell-caster helping him find Aurora and learning who he truly is.

Talia has been tasked with helping Prince Amir of Grimvein to locate Aurora Rose in the hopes of a securing a marriage contract that will unite the kingdoms and guarantee Grimvein’s safety. As in the traditi
Jackie
May 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lgbtqia, fiction, fantasy
This was the May 2019 book as part of the Sapphic Book Club.

This was really well-written and creative! The world building was impressive for such a short story and it was sufficiently true to the original fairy tale while also having its own entirely separate and unique spin. I liked the twists at the end too!
Elley Murray
Feb 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lgbtqia, romance, fantasy
This is a really short story, and I really wish it was a full length novel in order to give the characters an appropriate amount of time to really develop. As it is, there just isn't enough time to get fully fleshed and rounded characters and storylines in 70 pages. Rebecca Langham sure does give good bang for her buck, though. I actually didn't see the plot twist coming until it was almost upon me, and then it hit me what was about to happen and I squealed "OHMIGOD!" really loudly while reading ...more
Jasmin
May 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book was read for Sapphic Book Club, hosted by sapphicliterature.

This was an adorable read. It was short and quite straightforward, and to be honest I can't decide whether I liked it or not. Because it was so short, it was mostly just a story running along the plot and not much else. Personally, I enjoy going a bit deeper. It's not like it was a bad thing, it just didn't work the best for me. I felt like especially the prince's character could've been developed a teeny bit more, but I under
Matt Doyle
Jan 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lgbt, fantasy
Rebecca Langham’s debut novel Beneath The Surface was, in my opinion, a superb piece of sci-fi. As such, I was eager to dive into her new novella Finding Aurora. This time, Rebecca is working in a fantasy world, providing us with an LGBTQ retelling of the classic fairy tale, Sleeping Beauty.

The first thing to note here is that, even with the short length of the book, it’s clear that the magic system for the world has rules. We get enough of a glimpse of this to feel that there’s a structure in p
Colleen Corgel
Dec 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lgbt, adventure, arc, fantasy
Well, this was not something that I expected. Based on the blurb, I was expecting one thing, but ended up with another. Since this is the retelling of Sleeping Beauty, there were some story beats that I was looking for, such as looking for the sleeping princess in the tower, which is where the story for this book begins.

We're introduced to both, Talia, a mage in the service to the crown, and the prince, Amir, as they are picking their way through the remains of an old castle town in search for
Jayne
Jan 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love re-imagined fairytales, so when I was given the opportunity to read this, it was with great anticipation. It’s a shame when expectations aren’t met, but I wasn’t disappointed. The author knows how to command a shorter story and make it count. The very issues I struggled with in her longer novel, Beneath The Surface, (mainly the dizzying amount of detail) have been tempered slightly, resulting in a far more balanced, assured read. Every word counts, and the result is like a cardinal finch, ...more
Les Rêveur
Mar 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The beautiful retelling of Sleeping Beauty with a queer twist!

I loved every moment of reading this enchanting, classic fairy tale with a twist. The writing is tight and engaging from the beginning. The story of Aurora, the sleeping princess is not new to me and as a child, I read this book and watched the Disney movie. Rebecca Langham has made this little girl inside me jump for joy at being represented in this masterfully rewritten fairy tale.

I loved the character of Talia, the Spellcaster. S
Leanne
Dec 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, arc
I received an ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

This was a short but very enjoyable story. It is a retelling of Sleeping Beauty, but with an unexpected twist that was very sweet; I love how the whole true love idea ended up being something different from the original fairytale. Because of the story's length, we understandably don't get to know a lot about the characters, and there was limited world building. Despite this, it was a nice little story and I would recommend it!
Starr Waddell
Jan 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Finding Aurora is a short, sweet, and fun retelling of Sleeping Beauty with LGBTQ+ characters, which was a nice change of pace. I grew to love these characters and would willingly follow them through a series. Thanks to the author, the publisher, and NetGalley for a copy of the ARC.
E.M. Hamill
Dec 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
A very lovely little short story, retelling the Sleeping Beauty tale. I enjoyed reading it!
Sophia
May 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book was read as the May book of the month for @sapphicbookclub

I liked this interpretation of Sleeping Beauty. I enjoyed some of the twists on the classic story. It was interesting seeing how magic was depicted in this story. I also enjoyed how Talia ended up realizing the significance of her feelings for Prince Amir were platonic but still deeply meaningful.

I would have liked to see more of what happened to the characters after the curse was broken. It felt like some of the worldbuilding w
Best Lesfic Reviews
Jul 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
A fun, quick action-adventure-fantasy novella which is an off-shoot of Sleeping Beauty.

Read the full review @ https://www.bestlesficreviews.com/201...
maani
May 05, 2019 rated it liked it
M.D.
Dec 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
The idea of a retelling of a popular well known story is not something I would typically gravitate to especially when it comes to gender reversal I prefer new stories and new ideas. That said I found everything about this story to be charming and magical. The story was changed enough to make it the writers own and still managed to stay true to the source material.

It was a well crafted and well written with a beautiful setting that sucked me in. Even though this was a short story I was able to ge
Allyce
Dec 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This review first appeared on the blog Ally's Appraisals: https://wp.me/p37L0Q-17c

Finding Aurora is a beautiful and inclusive retelling of Sleeping Beauty. From Australian author, Rebecca Langham, this novelette is not only a great read but it packs a powerful punch!

I sat down to read a quick chapter or two but quickly found myself speeding through to the end. Although only 70 pages, Finding Aurora manages to tell an emotional story full of action and adventure.

The relationship between Talia and
Hira Chaudhary
Dec 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
I received a free copy of this book through NetGalley in exchange for my honest review.

That book was kind of EVERYTHING. I just wish it had been longer because I would have liked to have gotten more time with these characters and to get to see their relationships develop throughout the journey they went on.

I really connected with Amir, especially when he explained how he was ace. That was kind of beautiful and incredible, and I adored his friendship with Talia, and once again, I just needed so m

• The Sun and Moon beneath the Stars
  • Her Royal Bodyguard
  • Not Since You
  • If the Shoe Fits
  • Kick Back
  • Undone (The Kaleidoscope Album Book 1)
  • Coming Home