Start by marking “Blank Mastermind” as Want to Read:
Blank Mastermind

Blank Mastermind

Amnesia is annoying. The poor hero has to find out everything about his wonderful life again and re-meet all the lovely people he knew before, then go to stop the villain.But what if the life that starts showing itself isn’t wonderful, the people aren’t lovely and the villain is… yourself?
Published December 13th 2018 by Writefury Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Blank Mastermind, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blank Mastermind

Start your review of Blank Mastermind
Jane
Dec 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A man wakes up backstage of an opera, covered in blood and with no memory of where he is, why he’s there, or even what his name is. Slowly he starts piecing together clues and the more he learns about himself, the more he wishes he didn’t know.

I read this entire book in one sitting. Right from the beginning,it sucked me in and I was so engaged in the story I couldn't put it down.

The main character, Wolfgang Dankworth, has such a unique character voice and personality and it affects the whole st
Claire
Apr 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book is an engaging, touching, and effortlessly hilarious take on the classic science-fiction superhero story. This time, the Evil Archnemesis of the Benevolent Hero takes center stage--even as he can’t remember who he is or what he’s planning. It’s a great and somewhat satirical subversion that manages to make its point, entertain, and tell a good story all at the same time.
Seriously, the humor in this book is on point. Wolfgang provides most of it with his first POV running snark, and I
Kristianne
Jan 28, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This book was so fun to read! Not only is the concept itself intriguing, but characters were so complex and the plot was delightfully unpredictable.

Characters: Wolfgang Dankworth was the perfect protagonist (or should I say, antagonist!). He was adorable with his amnesia, and I really enjoyed navigating the story through his eyes. His character voice, especially his sarcasm, was so fun to read!

I loved his courage and desire to do what was right, and yet, that he still had very real flaws (he sta
Abigail
Well I'm really happy ...more
Devin Willson
Dec 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is amazing. It's a page turning, tear-jerking, hilarious, masterpiece. The characters are some of the best that I've ever read and the plot is /amazing/. Rosey's writing style is easy to read and fits the book perfectly.

1237/10 would recommend.
Lizzy
Shelves: favorites
Reread March 2019: Reading this again honestly feels like coming home because it brings back so many good memories (haha, but seriously)--random forum comments, cosplaying and the chapter readings at Summer Workshop, Survival 3.0 references, various backstory feels, and all the amazing things that surround this book. This story has been such a huge part of my world for the last few years, and it's just...I love it so much. <3

Original review: I wish these places had a higher star rating, because
Merie Shen
Dec 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I give it one million stars out of five.

Blank Mastermind is seriously one of the best books I've ever read. I'm not a huge fan of superhero stories or stories about amnesia, but it didn't matter because this book was AWESOME. The best thing I can state in this review is GO READ IT NOW. But since that's unlikely to convince you, I suppose I might as well explain why.

This novel is written in first-person, past-tense, which was just fine with me but you might as well know. It's generally a widely-k
Ellie
Jun 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
i had this book recommended to me several times by many people before i did read it, and as a result i was a little dubious. could a book centered around the main character having amnesia be /that/ compelling? could it really be as amazing as i had been told?
well, it sure is.
i love this book so, so much. from the characters, to the themes, to the sarcasm, to the beautiful diverse characters, it reserves a special space in my heart and on my list of favorite books. it deals with serious subjects
Laurel Wreath
Dec 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
my favorite thing to do in my free time: cry about this book and the amount of skill and talent went into writing it
C.B. Cook
WOOOOWWWW!!!!! I was so excited to finally get to read this book in its full and final form! I got to read a lot of the parts on the author's blog (you can check it out here, and I highly recommend it), but I got behind due to the craziness of school, so when I heard she was publishing it, I decided to wait and read the final product. And man, did it blow me away!!!

First of all, the idea of a villain getting amnesia is great, and the author executed it so well! Amnesia is hard to write, especia
The Abstract Pearl
Apr 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book so much. Every word drew me in and the characters were amazing <333 would totally recommend this book and every other book by Rosey since she's an awesome author :D ...more
Carina Shephard
If you're looking for your next read, look no further. Blank Mastermind is a FANTASTIC book I would recommend to pretty much everyone. It checks all of the checkmarks for a great book: it's witty, Wolfgang Dankworth, the characters are unique and awesome, Wolfgang Dankworth, the plot twists, Wolfgang Dankworth. Also, did I mention the presence of one Wolfgang Dankworth?

In case you're still not convinced, the book speaks for itself, so what are you waiting for? Read it.

Content: As far as I know,
Elijah
Dec 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love this book so much it has quickly entered my favorite books hall of fame.

- Enthralling first chapter
- Cast of characters to which the likes I have never seen before in terms of quirkiness, depth and personality
- Hilariousness
- Fulfilling character arc with real and conflicting emotions
- An amazing and action filled plot that kept me reading
- Superheroes
- Tear jerking scenes (i literally cried)

What more can you even ask?
Wolverine
Dec 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
i was a beta reader for this book, and i'm so excited to get a final copy when it comes out!

-if it had a soundtrack, it would feel like Kaleo, Barns Courtney, and Oh the Larceny

-this book is about memories with edges that are too hot to touch, but must be handled anyway + being angry at everything and nothing + wreaking hurt because you are hurt, in an endless cycle + standing helplessly in the ashes of your old self

-also about ex-hitmen who listen to Schoolhouse Rock + sharp mechanic girls an
Bantam Audiobooks
Dec 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Alyssa
Likes:
This book is probably one of my favorite books that I’ve read all year (and I’ve read a lot of amazing books, believe me). Why, you ask? Lemme tell you.

The humor is to die for. I’ve read many books where the author tries to make the narration or their main character funny … a lot of times leading to it feeling forced. Yeah, um, not with this book! It is funny, but it feels very natural. And when I say funny, I mean funny.

Also! Also! The characters are all so beautiful! While we didn’t have
Christabel
7/5 stars

Let me just start out by saying, Oh. My. Goodness. This. Book. Is. Beyond. Amazing.

Blank Mastermind is the story of a man who wakes up with no memories, next to a dead body, backstage in an opera house. It only gets better from there.

Rosey Mucklestone weaves a masterful tale of an amnesiac struggling to put together the pieces of his life and come to grips with his past self. Written with the perfect balance of humor and raw emotion, she delivers a memorable story, stock full of quirk
Samson
Oct 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
One of the best YA novels I've ever read. The Characters were amazing, the plot was stupendous, and the dialogue witty.
The way the characters reacted and talked was one of the greatest parts of this book, and it mirrored some of the best contemporary fiction I've ever read.
overall? Great.
S.G. Willoughby
Jan 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
I thought this would be a lighthearted escape from reality. It wasn't. Yes, I laughed some. The sarcasm was perfect -- just enough to be awesome without being too much. And I LOVED the author's writing style. But mostly, it hit too close to home (despite my life situation being TOTALLY different from the character's). There were points when I had to put it down, it hurt too much to read.

Things I Loved:
-The ice cream
-The sarcasm/humor
-The themes (family, loyalty, healing)
-The unique premise
-The v
Hope
This book is kind of a fascinating look at villainy and how one event can change your life. It’s funny and exciting and touching and I loved every minute of it.

I do have to warn you: it doesn’t have the same feel as a Marvel movie, with numerous explosions and heart-racing action scenes, but it does have exciting sequences. The medium is different and books, while they can be action packed and exciting, take a slower and deeper approach. So yeah. Blank Mastermind has plenty of action packed sce
Kelly Vince
This book has gotta be one of my favourite books of all time. The plot, the characters, the setting, it's all so intriguing and well written. 100% recommend. :) ...more
Lemon
May 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
Well, so thank you, Ms. Gaines, for having recommended this author...

Positives: Ohoho....where do I begin?? First of all, GOODNESS. The redemption arc in this one was so well done. The characterization of every character was spot on, and the world of Earth two years from now was just set up and immersed in so well. The pacing was mostly smooth, especially concerning the unravelling of motivations and revelations, and I think every detail behind the plot and character made sense. Also, the Chrisi
Gray
Dec 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love this book. I love villains. (I wrote my own book where a villain was the protagonist, so villain protagonists have a special place in my heart.)

Wolfgang Dankworth has the unfortunate luck to wake up covered in blood, with no idea why.

First of all, a villain with amnesia? Brilliant.

But it’s just about the funniest book I’ve read. Why?

The Characters:

Wolfgang “Wolf” Dankworth: Recovering villain. Lots of sass and sarcasm. (Also, Rosey does an amazing job of making him a villain without doi
J.A. Penrose
Jan 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
From beginning to end, I was having to keep turning the pages. There wasn't a single moment that wasn't engaging and making me either cry, laugh, or hold my breath in suspense.

I've had people rave to me about Blank Mastermind for a long time now, so I had really high expectations for it, and this book met and exceeded them.

Villain with amnesia? Awesome concept.
Character voice that is full of humour and lines like, "It felt like I'd been through a food processor - or a rock tumbler. Maybe both"
claresgotbooksagain
Jul 17, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: buddy-reads
Abigail McAlister
Feb 09, 2019 rated it liked it
a clever book full of heart. Rosey really knows how to write a story. she has filled this book with vivid characters, interesting settings, emotional dilemmas, and hints that we only understand at the very end.

Blank Mastermind lost a couple stars for me mostly because I got annoyed with Wolfgang. I felt his sarcastic comments appeared at inappropriate times and downplayed serious situations and conversations. with heavy elements such as terrorism, bombing, and mass death, I felt like Wolfgang wa
0wlGirl
Jan 10, 2019 rated it liked it
I love Rosey's writing style. Wolfgang's voice comes through so well and I love the sarcasm. The story starts at such an intriguing point and I loved the introductions to each new, unique character. Well done!

*There is some mild language and misuse of the Lord's name. Which I personally would have preferred to be left out.*
E. G.  Bella
Feb 01, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Although I read this a little while ago, I've put off writing this review because I didn't know if I could properly express how much I love this book.
It is hands down one of the best novels I've ever read. The constantly moving and nuanced plot, the intrigue, the unique and captivating characters, the presence of a main character with amnesia (one of my favorite story elements anytime), the gripping and hilarious writing style, the moving theme...all of it was done with extreme tact and talent.
Bethany
Jun 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I read the rougher serialized version on Rosey's amazing blog (which has several short stories about the characters as well as a sequel) and loved it so much I had to pick up a hard copy. Seriously, I don't know if I've gotten so many feels from a book--I laughed, cried, and grinned like an idiot at the end.

The characters are quirky, hilarious, and so lovable. A mafia man who listens to Schoolhouse Rock and eats cake for breakfast, a villain who checks all the boxes with a leather jacket and pet
Tania
Dec 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Finally reread this amazing 😉 book!! I haven’t read it all the way through since Rosey originally posted it as a serial story on her blog 😅 so I knew it was time for a reread. I was in tears and awe of Rosey’s writing once more. Such a funny, heart-wrenching, warm, homey story. Gosh, I love this book so much. Now to reread the sequel on Rosey’s blog 😃🔥

• A Lineage of Grace  (Lineage of Grace #1- 5)
  • Romanov
  • A Wilted Willow: Revised & Updated Edition
  • Fawkes
  • The Girl Who Could See
  • To Best the Boys
  • The Fiddler's Gun (Fin's Revolution, #1)
  • The Compass (One Year Adventure Novel)
  • My Name Is Asher Lev
  • Porch Swing Girl (Tradewinds, #1)
  • The Boy Who Dared
  • Adorning the Dark: Thoughts on Community, Calling, and the Mystery of Making
  • Randoms (Randoms, #1)
  • Moonscript
  • The Stone Heart (The Nameless City, #2)
  • The Chosen (Reuven Malther #1)
  • A Time to Speak (Out of Time, #2)
  • Masterminds (Masterminds, #1)
Rosey Mucklestone is the oldest of nine crazy kids and the daughter of two awesome parents. She lives with her family and two dogs in Missouri, spending her time writing, reading, baking and waitressing. Topics she’s passionate about include: the ocean, the Bible, mountains, fandoms, stories and characters in general. She’s never gotten amnesia and doesn’t plan on it, but life is full of surprises ...more